Maryland 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DeeCee

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby DeeCee » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:55 pm

mizzjasmine07 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
mizzjasmine07 wrote:I am on the "regular waitlist" with a 4.0GPA in criminal justice/sociology and a 146 lsat. pretty pissed off, i wanted maryland--guess ill be going to wake :(

A 146????? I'm surprised you were considered! You meant a 164, right?

it's exactly what i said: i got into wake which is ranked 38, better than maryland anyways- don't be shocked that i was considered. a 146 is what i got with no studying. your try keeping a 4.0 all throughout undergrad.

Had one, graduated summa cum laude with honors. Also have a 4.0 in grad school. You must have had something else going for you, like WE, a great PS or you are a URM because your options are way too good based off of the 4.0 and 146 alone.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:58 pm

ladies ladies

we're all good here.

Looks like you guys both got into great schools so where's the love

ran12

Postby ran12 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:58 pm

DeeCee wrote:
mizzjasmine07 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
mizzjasmine07 wrote:I am on the "regular waitlist" with a 4.0GPA in criminal justice/sociology and a 146 lsat. pretty pissed off, i wanted maryland--guess ill be going to wake :(

it's exactly what i said: i got into wake which is ranked 38, better than maryland anyways- don't be shocked that i was considered. a 146 is what i got with no studying. your try keeping a 4.0 all throughout undergrad.

Had one, graduated summa cum laude with honors. Also have a 4.0 in grad school. You must have had something else going for you, like WE, a great PS or you are a URM because your options are way too good based off of the 4.0 and 146 alone.

A 4.0 in criminal justice/sociology is a piece of cake. Most law schools don't like applicants with those majors so good job with Wake.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:00 pm

lsatextreme wrote:ladies ladies

we're all good here.

Looks like you guys both got into great schools so where's the love

lol

Not trying to start shit here, I just couldn't believe that a 146 was not rejected outright. Like I said, the chick must have something else that's great going for her.

2things2

Postby 2things2 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:44 pm

mizzjasmine07 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

you should consider studying.

fiupike24

Postby fiupike24 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:55 pm

It was a waitlist for me too, anyone know the chances on getting off? I was looking at the waitlist for UF and they pull names until 2 weeks before school starts! depending on how many people drop =/ they dont have a preffered list which makes me feel that I'm a back up to the back up at maryland lol.

Is anyone here already committed to attending Maryland?

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:02 pm

mizzjasmine07 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

just looked at your profile, congrats on the 3.9 your lsat score isn;t anything to brag about either. simply "average"- if you had a 160 or above i'd see why you have a reason to make arrogant comments, but you don't. fyi: i'm on the same UVA waitlist you are, with that 146 :)

Have you ever thought *for a second* that I have fudged my profile until the end of this cycle? Or that I too have other circumstances that have made my cycle come out better than expected like WE/ good PS/URM? I'm guessing not. Thanks for starting a shitstorm when all I was really getting at was if you have other factors that make you a good candidate because a 146 wouldn't otherwise hack it.
Last edited by DeeCee on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:03 pm

2things2 wrote:
mizzjasmine07 wrote:

This. You probably could have owned a 164, then.

Sir Pink

Postby Sir Pink » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:56 pm

Dee i apologize: honestly, im not a good stand test taker.didnt do too well on my highschool sat or act, yet then again i didn't study so who knows. i waited until the last minute to take the lsat though and with hmwk it was hard to study for that and attend to my studies. i didnt want to take a year off so i said what the heck let's see where i get with it. now im annoyed because people with 160's are getting tons of money & acceptances and i feel like i'm just as smart..even though the lsat doesn't show it :( as of now i plan to transfer after my 1st year of law school..any idea if transfers are offered money?

DeeCee wrote:
2things2 wrote:
mizzjasmine07 wrote:

This. You probably could have owned a 164, then.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:06 pm

mizzjasmine07 wrote:Dee i apologize: honestly, im not a good stand test taker.didnt do too well on my highschool sat or act, yet then again i didn't study so who knows. i waited until the last minute to take the lsat though and with hmwk it was hard to study for that and attend to my studies. i didnt want to take a year off so i said what the heck let's see where i get with it. now im annoyed because people with 160's are getting tons of money & acceptances and i feel like i'm just as smart..even though the lsat doesn't show it :( as of now i plan to transfer after my 1st year of law school..any idea if transfers are offered money?

Wake is a great school! I think you should go there with the intent to finish your degree there (unless you're in at better schools), or if you do end up making top 10% of the class then you could talk about transferring. You'd have to ask a current 1L if money is offered to transfers, but I would guess not. More likely you could end up getting a scholarship at your law school you are attempting to transfer from if you do really well in the 1L year.

Also, there is a saying on this website that you should never go to a school you wouldn't be comfortable graduating from at median, and I think Wake could be a great choice with your current situation. Or, if you're in a good position to do so, you could retake in June/October, and then reapply next fall knowing you'll most likely have a much better score, and a much better chance at significant scholarship money. Also, since you're in the UMD thread, you could accept at Wake while holding out on the WL at UMD, if you like Maryland better. Congratulations on having the cycle you've had so far!

Sir Pink

Postby Sir Pink » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:02 pm

thank you! well i wish you the best- may we all graduate in 2014 with JOBS & in a better economy :)

DeeCee wrote:
mizzjasmine07 wrote:Dee i apologize: honestly, im not a good stand test taker.didnt do too well on my highschool sat or act, yet then again i didn't study so who knows. i waited until the last minute to take the lsat though and with hmwk it was hard to study for that and attend to my studies. i didnt want to take a year off so i said what the heck let's see where i get with it. now im annoyed because people with 160's are getting tons of money & acceptances and i feel like i'm just as smart..even though the lsat doesn't show it :( as of now i plan to transfer after my 1st year of law school..any idea if transfers are offered money?

Wake is a great school! I think you should go there with the intent to finish your degree there (unless you're in at better schools), or if you do end up making top 10% of the class then you could talk about transferring. You'd have to ask a current 1L if money is offered to transfers, but I would guess not. More likely you could end up getting a scholarship at your law school you are attempting to transfer from if you do really well in the 1L year.

Also, there is a saying on this website that you should never go to a school you wouldn't be comfortable graduating from at median, and I think Wake could be a great choice with your current situation. Or, if you're in a good position to do so, you could retake in June/October, and then reapply next fall knowing you'll most likely have a much better score, and a much better chance at significant scholarship money. Also, since you're in the UMD thread, you could accept at Wake while holding out on the WL at UMD, if you like Maryland better. Congratulations on having the cycle you've had so far!

2things2

Postby 2things2 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:40 pm

maryland law chat going on right now... http://www.law.umaryland.edu/prospective/admitchat.html

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:36 pm

Im sure this has been discussed already but this is the first time I have entered this forum, but here goes...

Does anyone have any experience with the preferred wait list. They made it seem like I was definitely going to be offered admissions eventually. I think that I was put on this list because of how late I applied. On LSN, I am one of only three people with my LSAT or higher to not get in outright. Any insight would be solid.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:28 am

was anyone in the admitted students chat today? Was there any discussion about establishing in state residency for out of state students for tuition purposes? I'm trying to figure out how easy it is to do so.

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:06 am

lsatextreme wrote:was anyone in the admitted students chat today? Was there any discussion about establishing in state residency for out of state students for tuition purposes? I'm trying to figure out how easy it is to do so.

Same here. Any ideas?

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:14 am

Just went in review for the PT program, wish me luck!

sstufken

Postby sstufken » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:17 pm

Just got my acceptance letter today! Anyone have any experience with the Baltimore area/housing etc? I'm originally from Northern VA but don't know much about Baltimore.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:10 pm

sstufken wrote:Just got my acceptance letter today! Anyone have any experience with the Baltimore area/housing etc? I'm originally from Northern VA but don't know much about Baltimore.

Check out the apartments that are managed by Southern Management. They're pretty nice and close to campus. Their best building is the Standard.

eastcoaster09

Postby eastcoaster09 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:48 pm

sstufken wrote:Just got my acceptance letter today! Anyone have any experience with the Baltimore area/housing etc? I'm originally from Northern VA but don't know much about Baltimore.

Depends what your looking for. If you wanna live near the school then your probably going to be paying more than you would if you lived in fed hill/canton/fells point (different places around the city). The only downside I've found from living away from the school is parking, other than that its great.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:55 pm

so if we live further out, then is it easy to get to school via public transportation? Like subway/train/bus? I'm not from Maryland or even from the east coast so I don't know the area at all. By parking being a downside, do you mean parking around campus? Does that mean we have to drive to campus?

eastcoaster09

Postby eastcoaster09 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:58 pm

lsatextreme wrote:so if we live further out, then is it easy to get to school via public transportation? Like subway/train/bus? I'm not from Maryland or even from the east coast so I don't know the area at all. By parking being a downside, do you mean parking around campus? Does that mean we have to drive to campus?

From what I've heard from other people using the train/bus isnt that bad, but I personally dont know much about it since I drive myself. By parking being a downside I just meant that you have to pay to park during the week as opposed to people who live near the school and just walk. There's 3 or 4 garages near the school though with 1 directly across the street so it's never really that hard to find a spot.

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:44 pm

eastcoaster09 wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:so if we live further out, then is it easy to get to school via public transportation? Like subway/train/bus? I'm not from Maryland or even from the east coast so I don't know the area at all. By parking being a downside, do you mean parking around campus? Does that mean we have to drive to campus?

From what I've heard from other people using the train/bus isnt that bad, but I personally dont know much about it since I drive myself. By parking being a downside I just meant that you have to pay to park during the week as opposed to people who live near the school and just walk. There's 3 or 4 garages near the school though with 1 directly across the street so it's never really that hard to find a spot.

it's ok though, pay some parking to retain a T14 talent

lalakiki

Postby lalakiki » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:43 am

I have family who live in Baltimore and public transportation is uh...let's just say it wouldn't be my first choice ...or second...or third...lol especially if I was not from the area...

Oh but as far as UMD being easily accessible via public transportation, yes it is.

tchan4269

Postby tchan4269 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:22 am

i dont know much about it (and by much i mean i dont really know jack S) but i'm leaning towards the Mt. Vernon area, if I attend...I'm planning on going up in a couple of weeks to scout out all the areas.

2things2

Postby 2things2 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:08 pm

any thoughts on the admitted students day?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”