Maryland 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gens1tb

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby gens1tb » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:33 pm

ash8309 wrote:
gens1tb wrote:Accepted via mail!

Also basically tagging this topic so I can go back through later and see if scholarship offers are listed in the acceptance letter or not.

Ooh, slightly concerned...my status checker says decision made 2/8 but didn't get an email...does that mean I'm getting rejected via snail mail? Did you status checker say anything before the email?

Their status checker says they do not distribute decisions of any kind via telephone or email. I don't know if that's absolute. My status checker simply reads 'Decision Made' as of 02/04/11; I received a snail mail with "Congratulations!" printed on the outside of the envelope. That was the first I'd heard or read about my acceptance.

edgarfigaro

Postby edgarfigaro » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:14 pm

In as well...though probably will be withdrawing without a scholarship offer.

zdayar

Postby zdayar » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:30 am

voltage88 wrote:
ran12 wrote:
lite.brite wrote:Is it possible to qualify for in state tuition as a 2L and 3L?

I think I read on their financial aid website that what you are designated as entering as a 1L will determine tuition for all 3 years so prob can't get in state.

So Maryland is stingy with money AND you cant re-classify as an in-state student? WHAT. Is any other out-of-stater majorly turned off by this???

I am an out-of-stater as well and would be moving to Maryland with my husband (selling house, etc. etc). I just checked the web site of the office that makes the residency determination, and I don't think it's clear-cut: --LinkRemoved--

This is definitely something I will inquire about when I go up for the ASD.

kxz

Postby kxz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:35 am

Getting in-state is pretty easy. Requires you to get a residence in MD, change your drivers license, pay MD taxes. After a year, you get residency.

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:41 am

kxz wrote:Getting in-state is pretty easy. Requires you to get a residence in MD, change your drivers license, pay MD taxes. After a year, you get residency.

I beg to differ (from here: http://www.usmd.edu/regents/bylaws/Sect ... II270.html) :

To qualify for in-state tuition, a student must demonstrate that, for at least twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to and including the last date available to register for courses in the semester/term for which the student seeks in-state tuition status, the student had the continuous intent to:
4. Reside in Maryland primarily for a purpose other than that of attending an educational institution in Maryland.

Either of the following circumstances raises a presumption that the student is residing in the State of Maryland primarily for the purpose of attending an educational institution and therefore, does not qualify for in-state status under this policy:

1. A student is attending school or living outside Maryland at the time of application for admission to a USM institution, or...

In other words, if you come in out-of-state, you leave out-of-state.

Maryland didn't offer me any monies either; 3.5, 164. Damn disappointment. But they're still an option.

kxz

Postby kxz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:15 pm

If you read #4 again, all you have to demonstrate is that you are going to stay for a purpose other than attending. Thus, by switching your license and getting a place to live is the fastest way to demonstrate your commitment to stay here. Trust me, students are doing this and getting in-state.

arvcondor wrote:
kxz wrote:Getting in-state is pretty easy. Requires you to get a residence in MD, change your drivers license, pay MD taxes. After a year, you get residency.

I beg to differ (from here: http://www.usmd.edu/regents/bylaws/Sect ... II270.html) :

To qualify for in-state tuition, a student must demonstrate that, for at least twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to and including the last date available to register for courses in the semester/term for which the student seeks in-state tuition status, the student had the continuous intent to:
4. Reside in Maryland primarily for a purpose other than that of attending an educational institution in Maryland.

Either of the following circumstances raises a presumption that the student is residing in the State of Maryland primarily for the purpose of attending an educational institution and therefore, does not qualify for in-state status under this policy:

1. A student is attending school or living outside Maryland at the time of application for admission to a USM institution, or...

Maryland didn't offer me any monies either; 3.5, 164. Damn disappointment. But they're still an option.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:38 pm

I hope my decision letter comes soon. The mail from Bmore to DC doesnt take long. Hopefully tomorrow or Friday. Im so nervous!

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:36 pm

I got a "decision made" status 2/8. I'm guessing I'll get the letter around Monday. As much as I love the environmental offerings at UMD, if they are as stingy with $$$ as I've heard, I'll be making a quick withdrawal (if I was accepted).

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:41 pm

kxz wrote:If you read #4 again, all you have to demonstrate is that you are going to stay for a purpose other than attending. Thus, by switching your license and getting a place to live is the fastest way to demonstrate your commitment to stay here. Trust me, students are doing this and getting in-state.

arvcondor wrote:

Are you a Maryland student by any chance? Did you do it or know those who did? It would put my mind at ease quite a bit.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:15 pm

In today via snail mail. Decision made on 2/8

Is scholly info supposed to come with the acceptance letter? If so I didnt get anything, lol

167/2.5 URM
Last edited by cowgirl_bebop on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

millardtime

Postby millardtime » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:30 pm

In!

Also no mention of scholly info in the letter. I'd LOVE to go to Maryland, but I'd have to get at least some scholarship assistance to attend.

ballpop

Postby ballpop » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:17 pm

In by mail

3.48/164/166

js77

Postby js77 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:12 pm

In via mail 3.8/165

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:37 pm

They're really trying to raise their medians aren't they...

dizzynoise

Postby dizzynoise » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:06 pm

anyone hear anything about the Leadership Scholars program?

accepted 1/11
received scholarship letter 2/11

i can't find anything about the program. does anyone know something about it? how much $$ does the scholarship entail?

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:09 pm

dizzynoise wrote:anyone hear anything about the Leadership Scholars program?

accepted 1/11

i can't find anything about the program. does anyone know something about it? how much $$ does the scholarship entail?

So you got your letter after your acceptance letter? Did you do anything in particular to get the invite.

dizzynoise

Postby dizzynoise » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:15 pm

no, i was pleasantly surprised to receive the letter. like many others, i'm assuming, i thought i was out of the running for any $$.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:57 pm

ran12 wrote:
dizzynoise wrote:anyone hear anything about the Leadership Scholars program?

accepted 1/11

So you got your letter after your acceptance letter? Did you do anything in particular to get the invite.

I got my scholarship info and interview invite today, and it was dated February 10th. I got my acceptance letter yesterday. No, I didnt do anything extra to get the invite.

The school's website didnt mention anything about the scholarship, the process, or the award. At least not that I saw :/

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:00 pm

Got my acceptance letter today :-) So, is there a consensus that scholarship info comes in a separate letter?

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:02 pm

NCtoDC wrote:Got my acceptance letter today :-) So, is there a consensus that scholarship info comes in a separate letter?

The general trend has been it comes with the acceptance so the recent change is interesting.

elegantmint

Postby elegantmint » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:03 pm

Please Maryland, don't keep me waiting anymore! You're my number one choice!

Went complete on 1/26. Was hoping to hear something today. BOO

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:03 pm

NCtoDC wrote:Got my acceptance letter today :-) So, is there a consensus that scholarship info comes in a separate letter?

The general consensus currently is if you don't get word of a scholarship in your acceptance mail, it's probably not coming

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:13 pm

gens1tb wrote:

The general consensus currently is if you don't get word of a scholarship in your acceptance mail, it's probably not coming

Well, that sucks. :-(

There is no way I'll pay sticker for UMD.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:17 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
gens1tb wrote:

Dont give up just yet. My acceptance and scholarship info came in two separate mailings on two different days. If nothing comes by next week, then its probably not coming. But there is a possibility that it is coming later.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:18 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
gens1tb wrote:

Dont give up just yet. My acceptance and scholarship info came in two separate mailings on two different days. If nothing comes by next week, then its probably not coming. But there is a possibility that it is coming later.

Thanks for the encouragement :-)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”