Santa Clara University 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lsatextreme

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby lsatextreme » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:57 pm

brangara wrote:
crazyventures wrote:
KiraMarie wrote:ANY MOVEMENT?! The email that SCU sent out said decisions would be made by the end of the month. I figured that would mean a lot of movement until then. Still sitting at In Committee 3/23.

I'm in the same boat...in 2nd committee since 3/23

In committee since 2/1. This is bull.

I honestly see no point in waiting still, especially since my choice is really between two better-ranked schools. I might withdraw my app.

+1, im just sticking around because i'm curious to know my decision

moggendaz

Postby moggendaz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:48 pm

has anyone been waitlisted yet?

Tyler Durden

Postby Tyler Durden » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:42 pm

lsatextreme wrote:
brangara wrote:
crazyventures wrote:
KiraMarie wrote:ANY MOVEMENT?! The email that SCU sent out said decisions would be made by the end of the month. I figured that would mean a lot of movement until then. Still sitting at In Committee 3/23.

I'm in the same boat...in 2nd committee since 3/23

In committee since 2/1. This is bull.

I honestly see no point in waiting still, especially since my choice is really between two better-ranked schools. I might withdraw my app.

+1, im just sticking around because i'm curious to know my decision

+1, in committee since 2/15. I'm thinking I'll know some wait list answers before Santa Clara decides on me.

am0rfati

Postby am0rfati » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:01 pm

IC (for second time) since 2/4...and I have gotten off one of my waitlists already. This is getting to be a bit ridiculous.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:06 pm

The never ending story......at most 12 days. They are taking forever.

KiraMarie

Postby KiraMarie » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:56 am

jarofsoup wrote:The never ending story......at most 12 days. They are taking forever.

12 days? Try 27 days!! "In Committee" since 3/23! I am dying over here!

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:01 pm

KiraMarie wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:The never ending story......at most 12 days. They are taking forever.

I mean until we here back.

I submitted my application in November for EA.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:08 pm

man my IC just hasn't budged at all since 2/1, i dont even get how that's possible

KiraMarie

Postby KiraMarie » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:15 pm

KiraMarie wrote:

Oops! Sorry, I think I may be a little on edge. Didn't mean to take it out on you! I will go back to taking it out on my husband!!

But yea, that is a good way to look at it: let the count down begin 11 more days!

condor87

Postby condor87 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:26 pm

lsatextreme wrote:man my IC just hasn't budged at all since 2/1, i dont even get how that's possible

I've been IC since January 14th.... 4 months.

KiraMarie

Postby KiraMarie » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:44 pm

condor87 wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:man my IC just hasn't budged at all since 2/1, i dont even get how that's possible

I've been IC since January 14th.... 4 months.

HOLY COW!! Hang in there!

KiraMarie

Postby KiraMarie » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:16 pm

From Jeanette Leach, Assistant Dean of Admissions at Santa Clara Law.....

I saw this subject in my email and almost had a heart attack!! I thought I was Waitlisted!!

It is just cruel to tease people like that!

samtheclam1

Postby samtheclam1 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:52 pm

KiraMarie wrote:From Jeanette Leach, Assistant Dean of Admissions at Santa Clara Law.....

I saw this subject in my email and almost had a heart attack!! I thought I was Waitlisted!!

totally messed up

crazyventures

Postby crazyventures » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:54 pm

KiraMarie wrote:From Jeanette Leach, Assistant Dean of Admissions at Santa Clara Law.....

I have a mini panic attack every single time I get an email like that from SCU :x

verklempt

Postby verklempt » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:05 am

$ is due from recently admitted students on April 23. So they are probably waiting to see who antes up before they send out any more letters.

Crazzzybudha

Postby Crazzzybudha » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:13 am

http://www.top-law-schools.com/santa-cl ... chool.html

Anybody notice how this seems like a nice fluff piece on SCU and not a real assessment of the school? Notice any sections missing? Where is the "employment prospects" heading? Ima start a petition.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:25 am

Crazzzybudha wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/santa-clara-law-school.html

Anybody notice how this seems like a nice fluff piece on SCU and not a real assessment of the school? Notice any sections missing? Where is the "employment prospects" heading? Ima start a petition.

You should note that these articles are not updated all of the time and the employment prospects during a recession do not mean much in the future. The school used to do great for all IP related things and still does have good regional placing. The problem is that the region has taken a hit.

So, it is really unpredictable where the school be employment wise in the next 5-10 years.

brangara

Postby brangara » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:54 am

+1. This is ridiculous. I'm pretty much going to be accepting at USD (unless Pepperdine de-waitlists me) but at the same time, I still want to know if I'd be getting Santa Clara at all (for my ego's sake). -__-

Crazzzybudha

Postby Crazzzybudha » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:15 pm

jarofsoup wrote:

You should note that these articles are not updated all of the time and the employment prospects during a recession do not mean much in the future. The school used to do great for all IP related things and still does have good regional placing. The problem is that the region has taken a hit.

So, it is really unpredictable where the school be employment wise in the next 5-10 years.

Fair enough, my problem is that the article in its entirety feels like it was written by Santa Clara admin officers. In fact it states it was written "with kind assistance from the administration of Santa Clara Law School, particularly Dean Polden (read the Polden Interview); Dean of Admissions Jeanette Leach (read the Leach Interview); and Assistant Deans Julia Yaffee and Alexandra Horne (read Horne Interview)."

And thats all fine and good. Just wish there was an article that gave an honest assessment, like pretty much every other school review on TSL. Despite what the job prospects may or may not be (I'm seriously considering going so I'm taking the gamble that the recession is causing more panic then it deserves) the profile doesn't address them at all, its missing the "employment prospects" heading you find in every other profile. This is simply an incomplete profile, or if I wanted to be cynical SCU left that off for obvious reasons.

But thats my main complaint, this article feels like it was written by SCU and is completely worthless.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:39 pm

Crazzzybudha wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:

Fair enough, my problem is that the article in its entirety feels like it was written by Santa Clara admin officers. In fact it states it was written "with kind assistance from the administration of Santa Clara Law School, particularly Dean Polden (read the Polden Interview); Dean of Admissions Jeanette Leach (read the Leach Interview); and Assistant Deans Julia Yaffee and Alexandra Horne (read Horne Interview)."

And thats all fine and good. Just wish there was an article that gave an honest assessment, like pretty much every other school review on TSL. Despite what the job prospects may or may not be (I'm seriously considering going so I'm taking the gamble that the recession is causing more panic then it deserves) the profile doesn't address them at all, its missing the "employment prospects" heading you find in every other profile. This is simply an incomplete profile, or if I wanted to be cynical SCU left that off for obvious reasons.

But thats my main complaint, this article feels like it was written by SCU and is completely worthless.

Yeah it is a flowery article. You just got to do what makes you happy and not worry about all of the statistics thrown around on TLS. Yeah its not Harvard, but it is probably the best I can do and maybe the best you can do at this moment.

Just go into with your eyes open.

I think that the market will get better over the coming years.

verklempt

Postby verklempt » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:38 pm

I just read the profile and I was troubled by the lack of authenticity in the writeup. So for those of you who are interested, here is my take:

* Students: generally seemed friendly, approachable. Bright but not in a knock-your-socks-off or intimidating way.

* Main complaint from students: the administration. My own experience is that other schools to which I was accepted showered me with greetings, sent me invitations, information. Called me to welcome me. From SCU? Nada. The students say that the administrators make life more difficult than necessary.

* Physical setting: as beautiful as Stanford, nicer vistas, lush campus. Law school building was designed to resemble Jabba the Hutt's palace.

* Employment situation: the 3Ls say it's improving, better for the '11s than it was for the '10s. I see a lot of tech hiring in the Valley, and also a lessened reliance on offshore resources. The VCs are oiling the gears again and writing big checks.

If you are seriously considering the school and haven't had a chance to visit the campus, feel free to pm me. (I sent in my deposit. SCU is not the best law school to which I was admitted, but I am geographically constrained, and I didn't bother to apply to Stanford.)

Crazzzybudha

Postby Crazzzybudha » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:13 pm

verklempt wrote:I just read the profile and I was troubled by the lack of authenticity in the writeup. So for those of you who are interested, here is my take:

* Students: generally seemed friendly, approachable. Bright but not in a knock-your-socks-off or intimidating way.

* Main complaint from students: the administration. My own experience is that other schools to which I was accepted showered me with greetings, sent me invitations, information. Called me to welcome me. From SCU? Nada. The students say that the administrators make life more difficult than necessary.

* Physical setting: as beautiful as Stanford, nicer vistas, lush campus. Law school building was designed to resemble Jabba the Hutt's palace.

* Employment situation: the 3Ls say it's improving, better for the '11s than it was for the '10s. I see a lot of tech hiring in the Valley, and also a lessened reliance on offshore resources. The VCs are oiling the gears again and writing big checks.

If you are seriously considering the school and haven't had a chance to visit the campus, feel free to pm me. (I sent in my deposit. SCU is not the best law school to which I was admitted, but I am geographically constrained, and I didn't bother to apply to Stanford.)

Thanks, thats a better breakdown than what is in the TSL profile. And as far as being geographically constrained, its hard to complain about being constrained to that geography (im from the midwest)

brangara

Postby brangara » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:29 pm

3rd or 4th "In Committee" as of yesterday. Does this mean they'll finally have a decision for me soon? (Although I'm probably 90% sure I'll submit for USD anyways.)

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:16 pm

Third "In Committee" dated 4/20.

am0rfati

Postby am0rfati » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:24 pm

I'm giving up hope.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”