Santa Clara University 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
drmguy

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby drmguy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:21 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:
Crazzzybudha wrote:IHaveLawyers - I think you might have been waitlisted, I doubt they would mail a denial (it seems they always do that via email), but if it didn't change to "admit" you might not be admitted. Here's hoping I'm completely wrong.

I appreciate the discussion about jobs from Santa Clara. I'd really like to go to Santa Clara and I hope someone comes up with a good reason I can use to justify the decision :-)

I don't see how Santa Clara can rebound. I would like to debate someone who thinks Santa Clara will return to respectable employment in a few years and would really love it if they swayed my opinion. beautiful place but no jobs and I think those two things are incredibly related.

I think that it is dependent on the market. But I dont really understand the doom and gloom. It is not like you would be looking at a life time of poverty if you attend SCU.

I'm not sure what you mean. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but if you were broke and took out 180k loans to attend SCU you might well condemn yourself to a life of poverty.

I think everyone should play around with a loan calculator like this for a while before undertaking life ruining debt.

http://www.finaid.org/calculators/loanpayments.phtml

verklempt

Postby verklempt » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:26 am

I haven't read this entire thread, but I know that many successful Bay Area lawyers are SCU alums. I can't understand why their JD prospects would be so much worse than anyone else's. (The lawyers I know seem to regard the school as pretty decent, but they have been practicing for a while.)

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:29 am

They took a dip in rankings last year. It may explain the job prospects for that year.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:11 am

dinged via white envelope

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:33 am

verklempt wrote:I haven't read this entire thread, but I know that many successful Bay Area lawyers are SCU alums. I can't understand why their JD prospects would be so much worse than anyone else's. (The lawyers I know seem to regard the school as pretty decent, but they have been practicing for a while.)

my theory is that santa clara has historically only produced competitive graduates in the IP field, and there's like no IP jobs right now in the city and probably very few in the south bay if at all. So their graduates are getting especially owned right now.

verklempt

Postby verklempt » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:48 am

I have lived in this area for a while and know a few IP lawyers, none SCU grads. And the SCU grads I know are not in IP. I'll hear someone raving about a lawyer, check the person's credentials (just because I am curious, not because I am a heavy consumer of legal services!) and often will see that s/he went to SCU. So that is my totally anecdotal unscientific basis for asking.

I don't know what it's like in the rest of the country, but our economy has been relatively strong throughout the recession. New businesses, mostly tech, are starting all over the place. As for rankings -- I have a hard time believing that the local firms are looking at USNWR and saying "we've always gotten good candidates from SCU, but they've slipped! Maybe we should recruit at Golden Gate instead."

Now, I know law jobs are impacted everywhere. My family member who graduated from HLS last spring told me that many of his classmates remain deferred. Imagine that, Harvard law degree and not working almost a year post-graduation. I am hoping 2014 will be a better year, and trying to assess how big a gamble SCU is. So I appreciate all input and insights.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:02 pm

the thing is, you can't really compare the successes of scu grad attorneys that haven't graduated in the past couple years with that of an scu grad in a month. I know plenty of SCU graduate attorneys that have families with kids in middle/high school that are doing just fine with themselves, but they also graduated at a time when the economy was doing considerably better than it is now. As a paralegal who had to interview candidates to replace my position for when I leave for law school this fall, I've heard from at least a handful of them who would tell me that there are just no IP jobs right now in the city and once midsize and big law IP firms in the city are starting to implode one by one, which is why their paralegals were losing their jobs and were interviewing here for a considerable paycut just to have a job period. Now granted these are paralegals but I'm just saying that they probably know what's going on in their field in the city more than I do since I work in the east bay and some of these guys were seasoned enough to be earning 80k salaries so they probably know more than some fresh off the bar attorneys.

This isn't just an SCU problem, it's a hastings problem too. Their grads aren't doing so well right now in the IP field. So if that's the reason why you're going to SCU, I think you'd have to at least do yourself a favor by doing research.

Capitol hillbilly

Postby Capitol hillbilly » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:07 pm

verklempt wrote:I have lived in this area for a while and know a few IP lawyers, none SCU grads. And the SCU grads I know are not in IP. I'll hear someone raving about a lawyer, check the person's credentials (just because I am curious, not because I am a heavy consumer of legal services!) and often will see that s/he went to SCU. So that is my totally anecdotal unscientific basis for asking.

I don't know what it's like in the rest of the country, but our economy has been relatively strong throughout the recession. New businesses, mostly tech, are starting all over the place. As for rankings -- I have a hard time believing that the local firms are looking at USNWR and saying "we've always gotten good candidates from SCU, but they've slipped! Maybe we should recruit at Golden Gate instead."

Now, I know law jobs are impacted everywhere. My family member who graduated from HLS last spring told me that many of his classmates remain deferred. Imagine that, Harvard law degree and not working almost a year post-graduation. I am hoping 2014 will be a better year, and trying to assess how big a gamble SCU is. So I appreciate all input and insights.

Thanks for your comments- it's nice to hear the assessment of someone who lives in the area, and that things may be more positive than they seem from the stats. "Hoping 2014 will be a better year, and trying to assess how big a gamble SCU is"- pretty much exactly how I feel. Let us know what you decide.

Crazzzybudha

Postby Crazzzybudha » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:28 pm

I just want to say, long term (5-10 years) I see the bay area as being strong, especially in San Jose area. AS far as IP, it sounds like they took a hit right now, but I still think the field will be strong longer term. Literally every major tech company is right there. Microsoft, Apple, Google, Intel, Sun, Facebook...they are not going to pick up and head to the mid west or south any time soon. I see the areas economy remaining relatively strong, IP work will be good long term, and law in generally will be good there. Sometimes I think we might be paying to close attention to this recession, which may well turn out to be a small setback for an area that is otherwise growing tremendously. Of course I could be completely wrong and end up broke and homeless. But I can't think of a nicer place to end up being homeless :lol:

HCG

Postby HCG » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:52 pm

I've read this whole thread and no one has mentioned SCU's international law program. It is supposed to be one of the better ones right? I'm curious because that might be a route I'd take considering I'm also fluent in mandarin and you know, China...growing industry...all that junk. Anyone have any info on that or know someone that has done it? Thanks.

In terms of employment, it's bad for everyone. I work for the DA's office and we have a clerk here that graduated from Columbia, passed the bar, and got a job at a big firm and is now deferred waiting to be assigned to one of their various offices throughout the United States. Of course, she's still getting paid a salary by the firm to clerk for us so not too bad for her. From what I can tell, law school is what you put into it. If you're graduating top 15% of your class you'll probably find some type of decent employment. I think in recent years law school has become a fall back to people who really don't know what they want to do with their lives hence the massively saturated market and the tons of horrible attorneys out there. Honestly, I think if you're passionate about law school and you actually put the work in you'll be fine.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:07 pm

HCG wrote:I've read this whole thread and no one has mentioned SCU's international law program. It is supposed to be one of the better ones right? I'm curious because that might be a route I'd take considering I'm also fluent in mandarin and you know, China...growing industry...all that junk. Anyone have any info on that or know someone that has done it? Thanks.

In terms of employment, it's bad for everyone. I work for the DA's office and we have a clerk here that graduated from Columbia, passed the bar, and got a job at a big firm and is now deferred waiting to be assigned to one of their various offices throughout the United States. Of course, she's still getting paid a salary by the firm to clerk for us so not too bad for her. From what I can tell, law school is what you put into it. If you're graduating top 15% of your class you'll probably find some type of decent employment. I think in recent years law school has become a fall back to people who really don't know what they want to do with their lives hence the massively saturated market and the tons of horrible attorneys out there. Honestly, I think if you're passionate about law school and you actually put the work in you'll be fine.

Consensus is ignore specialty rankings.

HCG

Postby HCG » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:18 pm

drmguy wrote:
HCG wrote:I've read this whole thread and no one has mentioned SCU's international law program. It is supposed to be one of the better ones right? I'm curious because that might be a route I'd take considering I'm also fluent in mandarin and you know, China...growing industry...all that junk. Anyone have any info on that or know someone that has done it? Thanks.

Consensus is ignore specialty rankings.

Thanks for that useful tidbit

fragged

Postby fragged » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:31 pm

Personally I think that during a strong economy there are enough jobs in NorCal to support all the schools. In a shitty economy, all of the sudden there aren't as many jobs but you're still competing with Stanford, Berkeley, Davis and Hastings.

For me, the deal-killer was the cost of living. Forget the tuition, you need a massive loan just to pay rent.

dreams2308

Postby dreams2308 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:42 pm

Accepted? (I think. "Decision Mailed" on status checker, but deposit amount and due dates are present now)

[Assuming, I am actually accepted] Santa Clara was high on my desired schools at the start of the cycle, but the employment factors and cost has decreased my desire to attend. I probably wont get the mail with scholarship info and stuff until after this Friday, which is the seat deposit deadline for Depaul (where I got 60k) and McGeorge.

Should I deposit at one of DePaul or McGeoege or just not put a deposit down on either, and hold Santa Clara (5/1 deposit date) as my backup and hope I get into Hastings/Layola/UCI/Pepperdine?

Crazzzybudha

Postby Crazzzybudha » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:46 pm

fragged wrote:For me, the deal-killer was the cost of living. Forget the tuition, you need a massive loan just to pay rent.

Cost of living does suck. I would have to take out about twice as much for rent to go to Santa Clara then I would to go to a school in Chicago, and Chicago is said to have a high cost of living. Long-term though, isn't it fair to say that although cost of living is higher, salaries tend to be higher making it kind of a wash?

Anybody notice the salary reporting was kind of weird for SCU in US News, btw? If memory serves me 25 percentile was reported at 120k, and BOTH the median and 75 percentiles were 160k. I'm no statistician, but I'm pretty sure thats not possible.

Capitol hillbilly

Postby Capitol hillbilly » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:47 pm

dreams2308 wrote:Accepted? (I think. "Decision Mailed" on status checker, but deposit amount and due dates are present now)

[Assuming, I am actually accepted] Santa Clara was high on my desired schools at the start of the cycle, but the employment factors and cost has decreased my desire to attend. I probably wont get the mail with scholarship info and stuff until after this Friday, which is the seat deposit deadline for Depaul (where I got 60k) and McGeorge.

Should I deposit at one of DePaul or McGeoege or just not put a deposit down on either, and hold Santa Clara (5/1 deposit date) as my backup and hope I get into Hastings/Layola/UCI/Pepperdine?

I'm in a similar position, waiting and hoping for Hastings, but I went ahead and paid my deposit for another school. Is there any penalty to checking the "yes I will be attending" box and sending your deposit out, and then changing your mind later and attending elsewhere? Other than losing your deposit of course. Do schools share information regarding number of acceptances with other schools?

avon_barksdale

Postby avon_barksdale » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:09 pm

is anyone going to the dinner thing tonight in SJ?

UCLApuente

Postby UCLApuente » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:59 pm

Reading through this thread I've realized most people that are accepted are told about this through the online status checker. Mine only reads "decision mailed" but I also noticed deposit due dates and amounts have appeared which weren't there before. Anyone know if this is good news or bad news? Any indication if this means im in or maybe waitlist? I called Santa Clara and they told me to expect the letter in the mail between 3-5 days...the wait is already killing me and my status changed to "decision mailed" about 2 hours ago!

crazyventures

Postby crazyventures » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:12 pm

UCLApuente wrote:Reading through this thread I've realized most people that are accepted are told about this through the online status checker. Mine only reads "decision mailed" but I also noticed deposit due dates and amounts have appeared which weren't there before. Anyone know if this is good news or bad news? Any indication if this means im in or maybe waitlist? I called Santa Clara and they told me to expect the letter in the mail between 3-5 days...the wait is already killing me and my status changed to "decision mailed" about 2 hours ago!

I'm almost positive that the deposit amounts mean you're in

bb8900

Postby bb8900 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:11 pm

has anyone been able to get their scholarship increased?

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:32 am

I am pretty perplexed that they are taking so long. I have already put down a deposit at another school to hold my spot.

KiraMarie

Postby KiraMarie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:44 pm

ANY MOVEMENT?! The email that SCU sent out said decisions would be made by the end of the month. I figured that would mean a lot of movement until then. Still sitting at In Committee 3/23.

crazyventures

Postby crazyventures » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:48 pm

KiraMarie wrote:ANY MOVEMENT?! The email that SCU sent out said decisions would be made by the end of the month. I figured that would mean a lot of movement until then. Still sitting at In Committee 3/23.

I'm in the same boat...in 2nd committee since 3/23

brangara

Postby brangara » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:51 pm

crazyventures wrote:
KiraMarie wrote:ANY MOVEMENT?! The email that SCU sent out said decisions would be made by the end of the month. I figured that would mean a lot of movement until then. Still sitting at In Committee 3/23.

In committee since 2/1. This is bull.

I honestly see no point in waiting still, especially since my choice is really between two better-ranked schools. I might withdraw my app.

KiraMarie

Postby KiraMarie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:53 pm

brangara wrote:
crazyventures wrote:

In committee since 2/1. This is bull.

I honestly see no point in waiting still, especially since my choice is really between two better-ranked schools. I might withdraw my app.

If you don't mind sharing, which two schools are you deciding between?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”