Santa Clara University 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
KiraMarie

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby KiraMarie » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:38 pm

I applied pretty late, so I emailed SCU and asked them if they had an estimated timeline for applicants who applied after the priority deadline and they replied saying that they plan to have ALL files reviewed by the end of this month. SO let us all hold our breath until then.....

SFnative

Postby SFnative » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:42 pm

Just got an email confirming that they are aiming to have decisions made by the end of the month.

Looks like they got fed up w/ too many calls, asking why they are lagging.

good luck to everyone waiting..

Capitol hillbilly

Postby Capitol hillbilly » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:10 pm

SFnative wrote:Just got an email confirming that they are aiming to have decisions made by the end of the month.

Just got the same email; thought it was a rejection when I saw it in the inbox...

ME2JD

Postby ME2JD » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:51 pm

Capitol hillbilly wrote:
SFnative wrote:Just got an email confirming that they are aiming to have decisions made by the end of the month.

Just got the same email; thought it was a rejection when I saw it in the inbox...

Got the same email a few hours ago, I thought I was waitlisted though...

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:51 pm

Capitol hillbilly wrote:

Numbers of people still waiting? Guessing there are a lot of splitters waiting..

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:35 am

still waiting but I didn't get that e-mail, weird.

love.noelle

Postby love.noelle » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:49 am

mrwarre85 wrote:
Capitol hillbilly wrote:

Numbers of people still waiting? Guessing there are a lot of splitters waiting..

I received the same e-mail. It scared me to death because I had received a rejection e-mail from another school just a few hours before. I really hope they get back to us soon though -- the wait is unbearable :?

gokickrocks

Postby gokickrocks » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:57 am

ME2JD wrote:
Capitol hillbilly wrote:

Got the same email a few hours ago, I thought I was waitlisted though...

Likewise. It seems like I'm getting a bunch of waitlist e-mails lately :roll:

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:49 am

I liked the end of the email. The part that read that it is hard to look at all of the candidates and not just their numbers in a very short amount of time.

Capitol hillbilly

Postby Capitol hillbilly » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:04 pm

So, as we all decide where we will be sending out our tuition deposits... has everyone in this thread looked at the absolutely astounding sticky at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681?

I know it's been right in front of me on the board index and I just never checked it out, for some stupid reason. After looking closely at SCU and USF, both of which have my application, I'm mildly freaking out. It seems that all the alarm about lower tier CA schools is totally warranted. I remember now a poster in this thread talking about SCU's 23% full time legal employment stat... turns out that USF is about the same. :shock: Lewis and Clark is looking a lot better to me all of a sudden.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:34 pm

jarofsoup wrote:I liked the end of the email. The part that read that it is hard to look at all of the candidates and not just their numbers in a very short amount of time.

haha yesssss..

also, to a previous poster, i am a semi-splitter. 157, 3.83. i applied late-ish, went into committee 3/4

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:53 pm

Capitol hillbilly wrote:So, as we all decide where we will be sending out our tuition deposits... has everyone in this thread looked at the absolutely astounding sticky at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681?

I know it's been right in front of me on the board index and I just never checked it out, for some stupid reason. After looking closely at SCU and USF, both of which have my application, I'm mildly freaking out. It seems that all the alarm about lower tier CA schools is totally warranted. I remember now a poster in this thread talking about SCU's 23% full time legal employment stat... turns out that USF is about the same. :shock: Lewis and Clark is looking a lot better to me all of a sudden.

I wanted to go to a CA school, but I have only been accepted to the lower second tier CA schools. Seattle U is starting to seem like a better option now. This really sucks because I want to stay in CA, but these employment stats are making my hair turn grey. For those considering SCU and the like in CA, what will ur justification be to attend these schools?

Capitol hillbilly

Postby Capitol hillbilly » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:30 pm

risktaker wrote:
Capitol hillbilly wrote:So, as we all decide where we will be sending out our tuition deposits... has everyone in this thread looked at the absolutely astounding sticky at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681?

I wanted to go to a CA school, but I have only been accepted to the lower second tier CA schools. Seattle U is starting to seem like a better option now. This really sucks because I want to stay in CA, but these employment stats are making my hair turn grey. For those considering SCU and the like in CA, what will ur justification be to attend these schools?

Ditto. I would like to know how anyone could justify attending SCU without a massive scholly. Not trying to be snide, I'm seriously wondering... do people think that maybe the numbers could be radically better by 2014? It is possible, considering how much worse the numbers got from 2008 to 2009. Have we all seen this? (from 2008): --LinkRemoved--

Things weren't looking so bad on there. USF is considerably worse (again in 2008): --LinkRemoved--

LST does not show a distinction between full and part time employment, though, which is the category where these two schools stink the worst. As the time comes to actually commit to a school, anyone's feedback is greatly appreciated. If you're going ahead with SCU with little or no scholly, what's the secret to your optimism? 8)

disgid

Postby disgid » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:30 pm

I was wondering why I didn't get the aforementioned e-mail and just then I noticed my status had changed to decision mailed. I guess I know what that means...

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:33 pm

Capitol hillbilly wrote:
risktaker wrote:

Ditto. I would like to know how anyone could justify attending SCU without a massive scholly. Not trying to be snide, I'm seriously wondering... do people think that maybe the numbers could be radically better by 2014? It is possible, considering how much worse the numbers got from 2008 to 2009. Have we all seen this? (from 2008): --LinkRemoved--

Things weren't looking so bad on there. USF is considerably worse (again in 2008): --LinkRemoved--

LST does not show a distinction between full and part time employment, though, which is the category where these two schools stink the worst. As the time comes to actually commit to a school, anyone's feedback is greatly appreciated. If you're going ahead with SCU with little or no scholly, what's the secret to your optimism? 8)

I asked this earlier and someone argued with the stats I posted, while another made a snide about why I had applied. God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:37 pm

Capitol hillbilly wrote:
risktaker wrote:

Its time to run and hide from over saturated markets and go to regional schools with good in-state tuition.

twozeroseven

Postby twozeroseven » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:35 pm

drmguy wrote:
Its time to run and hide from over saturated markets and go to regional schools with good in-state tuition.

This. Is. Right.

Capitol hillbilly

Postby Capitol hillbilly » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:59 pm

twozeroseven wrote:
drmguy wrote:

This. Is. Right.

Damn right. I posted this same type of "what are we all thinking?" question to the people on the USF thread. No one has responded; maybe they have already fled the vicinity.

twozeroseven

Postby twozeroseven » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:36 pm

Capitol hillbilly wrote:
This. Is. Right.

Damn right. I posted this same type of "what are we all thinking?" question to the people on the USF thread. No one has responded; maybe they have already fled the vicinity.[/quote]

To be fair I am not following our plan exactly. I will attend a regional OOS school, but will gain in-state by second year. Psyched.

florentine

Postby florentine » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:00 am

twozeroseven wrote:
To be fair I am not following our plan exactly. I will attend a regional OOS school, but will gain in-state by second year. Psyched.

So your plan is to transfer back into California after 1L?

twozeroseven

Postby twozeroseven » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:49 am

florentine wrote:So your plan is to transfer back into California after 1L?

No, no plans to transfer. What I meant was that i'm willing to wait 5 years (school + first job) elsewhere and then try to relocate as a professional. A lot can change in that time.

florentine

Postby florentine » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:47 pm

So the excitement for SCU is gone now??

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:46 pm

florentine wrote:So the excitement for SCU is gone now??

That's what 25% full-time employment will do.

75% chance you won't land a full-time gig ITE.

Crazzzybudha

Postby Crazzzybudha » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:25 pm

http://law.scu.edu/careers/employment-data-2010.cfm

Anybody check that out? Does that make anybody feel any better about attending SCU?

adonai

Postby adonai » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:43 pm

Crazzzybudha wrote:http://law.scu.edu/careers/employment-data-2010.cfm

Anybody check that out? Does that make anybody feel any better about attending SCU?

This is the first time I saw this. I think this may have just been released. 78% seems alright ITE, but the stats further down the page show that only 60 grads (~20% of the class, or about 25% of those employed) reported the specific nature of their employment, which is quite frightening. I wonder if the starbucks barrista fits into "business/industry"

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”