Santa Clara University 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
swilson215

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby swilson215 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

florentine wrote:
swilson215 wrote:
florentine wrote:I have been mulling over the idea of resending my request as well.

They might see it as annoying, but it can't hurt, right? and at least they'll have a better idea of their money situation after April, right?

Exactly what I am thinking. I'm going for it because you never know till you ask.

I'll probably go for it, too, but not until mid-April...after the first wave of deposits comes in.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:10 pm

Just checked LSN the first time in several weeks, and then realized that I am one of rather a small number of applicants who got accepted with no scholarship offer. I find it rather insulting, and therefore, will likely withdraw.

TruePeace10

Postby TruePeace10 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:51 pm

I'll probably go for it, too, but not until mid-April...after the first wave of deposits comes in.[/quote]

Just an FYI my first deposit is due April 1st so you may know sooner as early acceptances deposits are due earlier.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:42 pm

Hey guys, I just went in committee on the 18th for PT program. I am so nervous! wish me luck!

SFnative

Postby SFnative » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:17 am

In committee since 2/25, Im growing so impatient..... :x

brangara

Postby brangara » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:28 am

SFnative wrote:In committee since 2/25, Im growing so impatient..... :x

In committee since 2/1. I'm *this* close to just accepting another offer (from a higher-ranked school) instead of waiting for a decision. -__-

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:35 am

brangara wrote:

In committee since 2/1. I'm *this* close to just accepting another offer (from a higher-ranked school) instead of waiting for a decision. -__-

IC since 1/25. This sucks!

adonai

Postby adonai » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:54 am

risktaker wrote:
brangara wrote:

I have you all beat with an IC since Nov. 2010. At this point I'm not interested in attending and just waiting to get some sort of decision on my app.

brangara

Postby brangara » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:56 am

adonai wrote:
risktaker wrote:
brangara wrote:

I have you all beat with an IC since Nov. 2010. At this point I'm not interested in attending and just waiting to get some sort of decision on my app.

Damn that seriously sucks. Ugh and they're not giving much scholly money also, right? So even if we do get it, is it worth the 100K+ debt later?

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:32 am

Damn that seriously sucks. Ugh and they're not giving much scholly money also, right? So even if we do get it, is it worth the 100K+ debt later?

Yeah Santa Clara grads do pretty welling according to Forbes, i think it's ranked 15ish in terms of income prospects

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:36 am

IHaveLawyers wrote:

Yeah Santa Clara grads do pretty welling according to Forbes, i think it's ranked 15ish in terms of income prospects

You do realize that's mostly from IP law, right? Unless you have an engineering major or PHD, ur prospects of making that much aren't too great.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:55 am

risktaker wrote:
IHaveLawyers wrote:

You do realize that's mostly from IP law, right? Unless you have an engineering major or PHD, ur prospects of making that much aren't too great.

You do realize that you are not as informed as you are? Only about 15-20% of SC grads account for IP law.

I did not know that an engineering major or PhD was a necessary condition for practicing IP law, I was under the impression that being admitted to the patent bar (you don't need an engineering B.A for taking the exam) was sufficient condition to practice patent / IP.

florentine

Postby florentine » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:13 am

IHaveLawyers wrote:
risktaker wrote:
IHaveLawyers wrote:

You do realize that you are not as informed as you are? Only about 15-20% of SC grads account for IP law.

I did not know that an engineering major or PhD was a necessary condition for practicing IP law, I was under the impression that being admitted to the patent bar (you don't need an engineering B.A for taking the exam) was sufficient condition to practice patent / IP.

Well actually not many people report their earnings and I'm taking a guess that most that did were the highest earners. Also, you do need a technical background, i.e. engineering or chemistry or physics, to sit for the patent bar.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:02 am

IHaveLawyers wrote:
risktaker wrote:
IHaveLawyers wrote:

Well actually not many people report their earnings and I'm taking a guess that most that did were the highest earners. Also, you do need a technical background, i.e. engineering or chemistry or physics, to sit for the patent bar.

First of all, the previous poster is under the false assumption that all IP work concerns patent. Not true.

Secondly, what you are saying is true, but I fear that most people (like the previous posters) are ill informed about the prerequisites for the patent bar examination.

The prereqs are :
(i) Possesses good moral character and reputation;

(ii) Possesses the legal, scientific, and technical qualifications necessary for him or her to render applicants valuable service; and

(iii) Is competent to advise and assist patent applicants in the presentation and prosecution of their applications before the Office.

Scientific qualification can be established in a number of ways, either it be a B.S is a scientific field, or a certain amount of credit hours taken in an approved scientific discipline (my brother had 12 credits of biology and was allowed to sit), or taking the Fundamentals of Engineering exam.

So, for risktaker to imply that one can not practice IP law without having an engineering major is false. Also, I don't know where he gets the PhD requirement from, I don't see how a PhD in Photography or Russian Literature helps you understand scientific concepts.

soruce : http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mp ... r_11_7.htm
source : http://www.forbes.com/2011/03/07/rich-l ... de_15.html

There is so much garbage on TSL so please do some research before you post something that is merely hearsay or opinion.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:47 am

Something to note= IP law does not just mean patent law. Even though patent lawyers are the biggest earners.

It appears from total observation most Santa Clara grads in big law are in IP. But IP does also include Trademark, Copyright, Anti Trust Issues, M and A, Trade Secrets, and White Collar crime.

If I go to Santa Clara I am going to try to focus somewhere between IP and Business Litigation. Business law for tech companies. (High Tech law corporate specialization).

Santa Clara is a good school and even thought it does not have the highest rank you can still get a decent job. I work in the legal field. I have seen Santa Clara grads are everywhere in the bay area. So are USF and Golden Gate Grads.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:11 pm

Woah, didn't expect that, lol. What I was saying was that an engineering major or PHD in soft science is what is needed ITE to secure a big law job in the highest paying field of patent prosecution. I agree with the rest though IHaveLawyers. End argument.

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:17 pm

brangara wrote:

I've been waiting since 2/1 and also have another offer on the table. I e-mailed Santa Clara yesterday because if they don't get back to me in a few weeks I'm gonna be forced to put a $1000 non-refundable deposit at another school. :(

florentine

Postby florentine » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:03 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Something to note= IP law does not just mean patent law. Even though patent lawyers are the biggest earners.

It appears from total observation most Santa Clara grads in big law are in IP. But IP does also include Trademark, Copyright, Anti Trust Issues, M and A, Trade Secrets, and White Collar crime.

If I go to Santa Clara I am going to try to focus somewhere between IP and Business Litigation. Business law for tech companies. (High Tech law corporate specialization).

Santa Clara is a good school and even thought it does not have the highest rank you can still get a decent job. I work in the legal field. I have seen Santa Clara grads are everywhere in the bay area. So are USF and Golden Gate Grads.

Ya I'm gonna try and do the same! You're doing PT though right??

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:15 pm

Sorry to be a debbie downer but I was seriously considering Santa Clara because of how beautiful the campus was and how great a location that had near San Fran until I did my homework on their job placement, and now I feel obligated to share my findings with all of you--especially because employment has been talked about so much on this thread.

According to the info Santa Clara sent to USNEWS, only 60 graduates were working as full time attorneys nine months out. 60 TOTAL GRADUATES. That is only 23% of the class!!!!! Therefor, 77% of the people who went to Santa Clara law and paid all that money didn't even end up working as an attorney. No, I don't just mean not working in a private firm, I mean all law jobs, only 60 grads. I think you will agree with me that this is shocking.

Self selection can only make up for a tiny bit of this-- lets face it, the majority of people who go to law school do want to be lawyers.

To add insult to injury, only a very low 36% of those 60 grads reported a private sector salary.

Santa Clara reports a median private sector salary of 160k. I did the math and that is only 10 STUDENTS! Of all the numbers I've crunched with all the different top 100 schools, Santa Clara is by far the most misleading of all them all.

I'm also considering DU and UTK. Along with SCU, these schools are T2 but they do not offer "roughly similar" job placement. DU sports an atrocious, although way better than SCU, 52% of graduates working full time as attorneys nine months out, while UTK sends a very respectable 86% of its graduates into full time employment as attorneys. I share this so you won't think-- yeah the job market sucks everywhere for kids outside T-14. No, it is virtually non existent in Cali and it sucks everywhere else.

I have a full scholarship to DU so I'm still thinking about it, which is really insane of my part because I have a coin flip chance to even be an attorney with a DU degree. Even though I haven't heard back from SCU I am going to withdraw today. My bet is that a giant junk of those 23% at SCU are going into IP, a field I (and most on this board I would guess) will not be going into. Again, sorry to be a debbie downer, but after reading all the posts earlier on this thread I felt I had to say something.

Feel free to PM me or re-post if you would like me to share the USNEWS full report (if you haven't paid the ten bucks for premium service) or walk you through the simple math I did to come up with these figures.

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:48 pm

Just received an e-mail from the Assistant Dean of Admissions...heart began to pound...palms began to sweat...

and then...

opened Santa Clara's Admissions e-newsletter

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:48 pm

zla2014 wrote:Just received an e-mail from the Assistant Dean of Admissions...heart began to pound...palms began to sweat...

and then...

That was quite a tease.

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:53 pm

Justathought wrote:
zla2014 wrote:Just received an e-mail from the Assistant Dean of Admissions...heart began to pound...palms began to sweat...

and then...

That was quite a tease.

I just personally e-mailed the Assistant Dean yesterday, so receiving this in my inbox the very next day was quite nerve-wracking

crazyventures

Postby crazyventures » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:14 pm

and then...

That got me, too :evil:

I've been IC since 1/26 and I really don't want to have to put down $ for a deposit at a school I might not go to

SFnative

Postby SFnative » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:15 pm

Just called and spoke with a very mean lady, conversation wen t like this:

Me: "Hello, I was calling in regards to an application and "
Her: " Im sorry Im cutting you off, but if you are calling to know when your decision is going to be made, I dont know nor can I find out"

Me: "Oh okay, have a nice day and remember to smile"

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:32 pm

When you guys requested more scholly money, did they send you some form to fill out, a scholarship reconsideration form or some name like that?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”