Santa Clara University 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
ak13
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:29 am

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby ak13 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:04 am

admitted, 2/7. we'll see about a scholly, rather expensive to relocate from detroit

User avatar
Capitalist
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:38 pm

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby Capitalist » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:42 pm

Applied 1/31...complete/in committee 2/8...

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:13 pm

Confused at why SCU is ranked so low. Tons of aps, medians that could place it in the 60's.... must be reputation with judges? must be employment? Thoughts?

anyone know what top half can expect coming from SCU?

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:19 pm

I think that SCU has a great reputation in the Bay Area, it has one of the highest starting salaries for its rank, and has a very very very well respected IP program.

I think it is partially because the SF Bay Area/ Silicon Valley market was hit so hard by the recession. Since a lot of people want to live here SCU cannot compete with the T14.

lalu
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:33 pm

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby lalu » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:32 pm

berkeleyman wrote:I just got my scholly in the mail....4k/yr, Im really happy to have gotten some money, but I will need more unless i want to be in debt forever. Anyone try negotiating for more $ yet?


I sent an email asking Ms. Burkhardt to reexamine my scholarship yesterday and was told that scholarship appeals aren't being reviewed. She did attach an appeal form to send back to her, in case they decide to review appeals at a later time.

Disclaimer: Not trying to brag or anything, just want some advice!

So, I'm not sure what to think/do right now. I was expecting half to full tuition scholarship and was interested in the Dean's Scholarship as well. I've gotten into top 20 schools but was very interested in SCU's location because I'm from the area. To be honest, it seems as if SCU is not trying hard to persuade me to attend SCU. If there's no scholarship appeal review, then I might withdraw.

Anyone in the same boat and have advice they'd like to share? Thanks :)

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:04 pm

lalu wrote:
berkeleyman wrote:I just got my scholly in the mail....4k/yr, Im really happy to have gotten some money, but I will need more unless i want to be in debt forever. Anyone try negotiating for more $ yet?


I sent an email asking Ms. Burkhardt to reexamine my scholarship yesterday and was told that scholarship appeals aren't being reviewed. She did attach an appeal form to send back to her, in case they decide to review appeals at a later time.

Disclaimer: Not trying to brag or anything, just want some advice!

So, I'm not sure what to think/do right now. I was expecting half to full tuition scholarship and was interested in the Dean's Scholarship as well. I've gotten into top 20 schools but was very interested in SCU's location because I'm from the area. To be honest, it seems as if SCU is not trying hard to persuade me to attend SCU. If there's no scholarship appeal review, then I might withdraw.

Anyone in the same boat and have advice they'd like to share? Thanks :)


Yea, SCU doesn't really seem to care as much (or can't afford as much?) as other schools do. Their scholarships pale in comparison to what some have received from T25ish schools (think Indiana, Illinois, BU, etc.). Maybe they are happy or content to be clinging for life as a Tier 2 school (any day they could slide into Tier 3 oblivion). They might have given up competing with other local schools, but I've got to think they see Hastings as their competition.

Who knows . . .

User avatar
fragged
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby fragged » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:27 pm

lalu wrote:
berkeleyman wrote:I just got my scholly in the mail....4k/yr, Im really happy to have gotten some money, but I will need more unless i want to be in debt forever. Anyone try negotiating for more $ yet?


I sent an email asking Ms. Burkhardt to reexamine my scholarship yesterday and was told that scholarship appeals aren't being reviewed. She did attach an appeal form to send back to her, in case they decide to review appeals at a later time.

Disclaimer: Not trying to brag or anything, just want some advice!

So, I'm not sure what to think/do right now. I was expecting half to full tuition scholarship and was interested in the Dean's Scholarship as well. I've gotten into top 20 schools but was very interested in SCU's location because I'm from the area. To be honest, it seems as if SCU is not trying hard to persuade me to attend SCU. If there's no scholarship appeal review, then I might withdraw.

Anyone in the same boat and have advice they'd like to share? Thanks :)


I believe I'm seated right next to you in that boat. I asked for a reconsideration on my award and have heard nothing yet. It's hard to imagine going into that kind of debt in this economy. Maybe there are enough people willing to enroll with small scholarships. I figured it can't hurt to ask, so we'll see if anything happens.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:26 pm

received a better offer from a school higher on my list so i'll be withdrawing my app, hope my $14k/yr offer finds its way to someone ITT

Phatslice
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:22 am

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby Phatslice » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:37 pm

fragged wrote:
lalu wrote:
berkeleyman wrote:I just got my scholly in the mail....4k/yr, Im really happy to have gotten some money, but I will need more unless i want to be in debt forever. Anyone try negotiating for more $ yet?


I sent an email asking Ms. Burkhardt to reexamine my scholarship yesterday and was told that scholarship appeals aren't being reviewed. She did attach an appeal form to send back to her, in case they decide to review appeals at a later time.

Disclaimer: Not trying to brag or anything, just want some advice!

So, I'm not sure what to think/do right now. I was expecting half to full tuition scholarship and was interested in the Dean's Scholarship as well. I've gotten into top 20 schools but was very interested in SCU's location because I'm from the area. To be honest, it seems as if SCU is not trying hard to persuade me to attend SCU. If there's no scholarship appeal review, then I might withdraw.

Anyone in the same boat and have advice they'd like to share? Thanks :)


I believe I'm seated right next to you in that boat. I asked for a reconsideration on my award and have heard nothing yet. It's hard to imagine going into that kind of debt in this economy. Maybe there are enough people willing to enroll with small scholarships. I figured it can't hurt to ask, so we'll see if anything happens.



I wonder why Santa Clara is so stingy with scholarships, aren't they ranked like in the 90's?

lalu
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:33 pm

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby lalu » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:39 am

Phatslice wrote:
fragged wrote:
lalu wrote:
berkeleyman wrote:I just got my scholly in the mail....4k/yr, Im really happy to have gotten some money, but I will need more unless i want to be in debt forever. Anyone try negotiating for more $ yet?


I sent an email asking Ms. Burkhardt to reexamine my scholarship yesterday and was told that scholarship appeals aren't being reviewed. She did attach an appeal form to send back to her, in case they decide to review appeals at a later time.

Disclaimer: Not trying to brag or anything, just want some advice!

So, I'm not sure what to think/do right now. I was expecting half to full tuition scholarship and was interested in the Dean's Scholarship as well. I've gotten into top 20 schools but was very interested in SCU's location because I'm from the area. To be honest, it seems as if SCU is not trying hard to persuade me to attend SCU. If there's no scholarship appeal review, then I might withdraw.

Anyone in the same boat and have advice they'd like to share? Thanks :)


I believe I'm seated right next to you in that boat. I asked for a reconsideration on my award and have heard nothing yet. It's hard to imagine going into that kind of debt in this economy. Maybe there are enough people willing to enroll with small scholarships. I figured it can't hurt to ask, so we'll see if anything happens.



I wonder why Santa Clara is so stingy with scholarships, aren't they ranked like in the 90's?


I believe they're ranked 85? I could check but I'm feeling lazy.

SCU is a great school but I'd rather pay sticker at a top tier school than go to SCU and only get 13K off a year. I'm pretty sure I'm withdrawing, so I'm sure my scholly money will make someone happy. My loss, their gain :) Good luck to those who are still waiting!

MrMisiu
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby MrMisiu » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:26 am

Tied for 93rd with four other schools; at least until March

MalachiConstant
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby MalachiConstant » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:39 am

Put simply, SCU still has a really good reputation in the Bay Area and employment connections above its ranking (in the bay) so it can get overqualified applicants to commit for less $.

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby upfish » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:06 am

MalachiConstant wrote:Put simply, SCU still has a really good reputation in the Bay Area and employment connections above its ranking (in the bay) so it can get overqualified applicants to commit for less $.


I thought the Bay Area was primarily Stanford and Berkeley grads, with some slim chances for Hastings, USF, and SCU grads?

lalu
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:33 pm

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby lalu » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:28 pm

upfish wrote:
MalachiConstant wrote:Put simply, SCU still has a really good reputation in the Bay Area and employment connections above its ranking (in the bay) so it can get overqualified applicants to commit for less $.


I thought the Bay Area was primarily Stanford and Berkeley grads, with some slim chances for Hastings, USF, and SCU grads?



When I took a campus tour, a current SCU student told me that grads generally have good connections with smaller firms and government positions (DA, etc). However, if competing with a Berkeley grad, well it's obvious what the outcome would be. The larger firms in Silicon Valley (i.e. the ones on Page Mill Rd) only send OCI's to top 20 schools.

Gatorbull84
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby Gatorbull84 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:56 pm

They only gave me 15,500 a year with no guarantee that I can renew it. The letter said that I need to reapply each year. I will be withdrawing on Monday, hope the money goes to one of you

User avatar
rs2004
Posts: 536
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:10 pm

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby rs2004 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:03 pm

got my acceptance letter today with a 10,000 emery law scholarship. but since cost of attendance for oos is over 60,000 (what????) hah probably will be withdrawing. hope the money goes to someone who wants to go!

User avatar
ak13
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:29 am

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby ak13 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:45 pm

14k a year. i'm thinking more franklin pierce with 25k a year, until i hear from more higher ranked schools...

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby upfish » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:32 pm

Got my letter today. $19k. The only scholarship I've gotten so far, but none of my other schools have mailed offers yet. So I guess we'll see how this plays out...

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby fatduck » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:40 pm

upfish wrote:Got my letter today. $19k. The only scholarship I've gotten so far, but none of my other schools have mailed offers yet. So I guess we'll see how this plays out...


<3 your avatar

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby upfish » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:47 pm

fatduck wrote:
upfish wrote:Got my letter today. $19k. The only scholarship I've gotten so far, but none of my other schools have mailed offers yet. So I guess we'll see how this plays out...


<3 your avatar


Thanks! :lol: Qwantz is awesome. Yours is pretty good too.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:45 pm

lalu wrote:
upfish wrote:
MalachiConstant wrote:Put simply, SCU still has a really good reputation in the Bay Area and employment connections above its ranking (in the bay) so it can get overqualified applicants to commit for less $.


I thought the Bay Area was primarily Stanford and Berkeley grads, with some slim chances for Hastings, USF, and SCU grads?



When I took a campus tour, a current SCU student told me that grads generally have good connections with smaller firms and government positions (DA, etc). However, if competing with a Berkeley grad, well it's obvious what the outcome would be. The larger firms in Silicon Valley (i.e. the ones on Page Mill Rd) only send OCI's to top 20 schools.



Is there at least anecdotal evidence that SCU grads can go strait to those firms (on Page Mill Rd)?

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:01 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
lalu wrote:
upfish wrote:
MalachiConstant wrote:Put simply, SCU still has a really good reputation in the Bay Area and employment connections above its ranking (in the bay) so it can get overqualified applicants to commit for less $.


I thought the Bay Area was primarily Stanford and Berkeley grads, with some slim chances for Hastings, USF, and SCU grads?



When I took a campus tour, a current SCU student told me that grads generally have good connections with smaller firms and government positions (DA, etc). However, if competing with a Berkeley grad, well it's obvious what the outcome would be. The larger firms in Silicon Valley (i.e. the ones on Page Mill Rd) only send OCI's to top 20 schools.



Is there at least anecdotal evidence that SCU grads can go strait to those firms (on Page Mill Rd)?


Guess not.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:15 pm

SCU Law web page down. Neurotic status checking is therefore also down.

stargazer3620
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:19 pm

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby stargazer3620 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:21 pm

jarofsoup wrote:SCU Law web page down. Neurotic status checking is therefore also down.


Haha I just noticed this too, but do you mean that you're not going to neurotically check to see if their site is back up now?? lol

andrewg526
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:03 pm

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby andrewg526 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:28 pm

https://aces2.lsac.org/YourStatus/membe ... z3%2F2M%3D

use the above to check status. I'm more ocd than most ::sigh::




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, 88234, Alexandros, Baidu [Spider], brinicolec, carlos_danger, Cjozsa242, eyetelyuhwhut, hammy393, Keilz, LawSchoolTitan, lazarzhr, Lmorina126, ngmlsat, pantsuitchic, ThorB, vho1791 and 40 guests