Santa Clara University 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
florentine

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby florentine » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:50 pm

swilson215 wrote:IN! IN! IN!!!!! (via status checker)
Yay, I'm so happy, I'm dancing at my desk!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

CONGRATS!! Is this your first choice??

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:13 pm

florentine wrote:

If not the first then definitely in the top three. Ultimately it will come down to $. My GPA will keep me out of T1 for the most part, so I'm comfortable with the idea of going to a T2 of T3, as long as it's not for sticker.

But I LOVED Santa Clara when I visited. I love it.

fragged

Postby fragged » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:21 pm

Congratulations - you did it! :)

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:35 pm

swilson215 wrote:
florentine wrote:

If not the first then definitely in the top three. Ultimately it will come down to $. My GPA will keep me out of T1 for the most part, so I'm comfortable with the idea of going to a T2 of T3, as long as it's not for sticker.

Congrats. When did you go to committee?

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:35 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
swilson215 wrote:
florentine wrote:

Congrats. When did you go to committee?

11/10.

florentine

Postby florentine » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:38 pm

swilson215 wrote:
florentine wrote:

Have you gotten your acceptance package yet?? Mine had scholarship info in it

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:41 pm

Chance me: URM splitter at Santa Clara. Also like most people I irrationally think I have a good application.

Optional chance: Just got a full ride at DU (similair rank, maybe a few spots above), do you think I have a chance at a good scholarship at Santa Clara?

Thanks.

florentine

Postby florentine » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:56 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:Chance me: URM splitter at Santa Clara. Also like most people I irrationally think I have a good application.

Optional chance: Just got a full ride at DU (similair rank, maybe a few spots above), do you think I have a chance at a good scholarship at Santa Clara?

Thanks.

Numbers? Can't do much without them...

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:42 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:Chance me: URM splitter at Santa Clara. Also like most people I irrationally think I have a good application.

Thanks.

I would say you're in, no problem. As for $$, I would bet you'd get some, but will wait to see what I get to compare (we have similar numbers and stats, but you're just a tiny bit higher than I am).

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:43 pm

florentine wrote:Numbers? Can't do much without them...

I think they're in his profile...

florentine

Postby florentine » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:17 pm

swilson215 wrote:

Ooops forgot about that... Ya I would say you're in and you will probably get a little money too

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:17 pm

florentine wrote:
swilson215 wrote:

Ooops forgot about that... Ya I would say you're in and you will probably get a little money too

I hope. What are the job prospects at Santa Clara? More precisely, what does the median usually do after graduation?

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:12 pm

Got the letter today (dated 12/14). In with $15,000 Emery Merit Scholarship.

EDIT: It's actually a $15,500 Emery Merit Scholarship. Neither the letter nor the website mentions if this is per year or if this is in total, but the website says that the scholarships are renewable each year based on superior academic performance, which leads me to believe that this might be a one year total. Any thoughts?

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:44 pm

I took it as a being a yearly scholly:
"Scholarships are continued if the student maintains a superior level of performance in law studies by placing in the top 15 to 20 percent of the class."

Anyone think it's too early to start negotiating money?

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:52 pm

MrMisiu wrote:I took it as a being a yearly scholly:
"Scholarships are continued if the student maintains a superior level of performance in law studies by placing in the top 15 to 20 percent of the class."

I've only been accepted to lower ranked (or equal) schools so far, and my one other offer has been right on par with this one (the other schools don't release finaid info until mid-feb to mid-march). I would like to try to get some more money, though. I don't know. I'm going to take a little trip up there and maybe stop by the financial aid office to test the waters before actually sending a negotiation email.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:00 pm

swilson215 wrote:
MrMisiu wrote:I took it as a being a yearly scholly:

I've only been accepted to lower ranked (or equal) schools so far, and my one other offer has been right on par with this one (the other schools don't release finaid info until mid-feb to mid-march). I would like to try to get some more money, though. I don't know. I'm going to take a little trip up there and maybe stop by the financial aid office to test the waters before actually sending a negotiation email.

Keep me updated on this. If a few of us get accepted, we will be wondering the same thing.

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:37 pm

swilson215 wrote:I've only been accepted to lower ranked (or equal) schools so far, and my one other offer has been right on par with this one (the other schools don't release finaid info until mid-feb to mid-march). I would like to try to get some more money, though. I don't know. I'm going to take a little trip up there and maybe stop by the financial aid office to test the waters before actually sending a negotiation email.

I've been accepted to a higher ranked school with more money, significantly more when considering the merit to total cost ratio. Don't know how helpful that will be though. I'm pretty disappointed with the offer all things considering, especially since SCU was my first choice.

I wish I could go up there, I have a feeling that would be more helpful and sincere... Too bad for the 5,500 miles between there and me.

florentine

Postby florentine » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:39 pm

MrMisiu wrote:
swilson215 wrote:I've only been accepted to lower ranked (or equal) schools so far, and my one other offer has been right on par with this one (the other schools don't release finaid info until mid-feb to mid-march). I would like to try to get some more money, though. I don't know. I'm going to take a little trip up there and maybe stop by the financial aid office to test the waters before actually sending a negotiation email.

I've been accepted to a higher ranked school with more money, significantly more when considering the merit to total cost ratio. Don't know how helpful that will be though. I'm pretty disappointed with the offer all things considering, especially since SCU was my first choice.

I wish I could go up there, I have a feeling that would be more helpful and sincere... Too bad for the 5,500 miles between there and me.

Can you really negotiate with them or is that frowned upon?

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:48 pm

I'm not too positive, but I don't see it hurting, especially if the money is what will keep you out. If they give you a 30k scholly, they make 30k off you. If they don't, they don't get any money because otherwise you can't afford to go. A school is still a business, and no matter how much they care about development and students they still need money to function. At least that's how I see it all. I know there are other people that are always more deserving than you, other factors, and yadda yadda.

I'm not sure how common it is, but there was a long post I read about it yesterday. The talk about negotiating is at usually higher schools I think. People mentioned how, for example, Pepperdine will match what other similarly ranked schools offer. So I don't see why not trying it.
Last edited by MrMisiu on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike088

Postby Mike088 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:03 am

My application has changed to "in committee"... yay, hopefully this doesn't take too much longer!

McNulty

Postby McNulty » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:58 am

Accepted w/ $8,000 year Emery scholarship - as others have noted, it doesn't say on the letter if it's yearly but the website says something about re-applying every year. Must be a GPA requirement...

Parents' house is 30 mins away so I have this as an option if I want to live at home for three years (yikes!).

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:27 am

I am still in defer. Which sucks, but I am adding a LOR from my employer.

I really want to go here!

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:15 pm

McNulty wrote:Accepted w/ $8,000 year Emery scholarship - as others have noted, it doesn't say on the letter if it's yearly but the website says something about re-applying every year. Must be a GPA requirement...

"scholarships are continued if the student maintains a superior level of performance in law studies by placing in the top 15 to 20 percent of the class."

Looks like if you score in the top 10 percent you're screwed though :wink:

calmonster

Postby calmonster » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:22 am

All,

I just got into the part time program. Any one knows if they offer scholarship for part time student at all? I didn't see anything mentioned on the letter about scholarship offer, so I guess I won't get any?

I applied for part time program as my first choice since I have a full time job..

wokeemilo

Postby wokeemilo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:37 pm

In Committee since 12/9... I've been checking like crazy recently but I'm assuming they're on hiatus for the holidays. Have pretty strong numbers so I'm hoping for an acceptance!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”