Santa Clara University 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
swilson215

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby swilson215 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:19 pm

calmonster wrote:I submitted my application right before Nov 1st but saw that the option "application for early admission" was unavailable, so I applied thru regular admission and mention in the personal statement that I am applying for early admission. My LSDAS report delivery was delayed by thanksgiving (although the school did receive it before Nov 30th), and today finally see that my status is in committee but then I got the news that I've been put into regular admission process, not early action.

Does this happen to anyone in this forum?

Not to me. I applied at 11:35 pm on 11/1, made sure I had checked "EA," and I was complete and in review by the 10th. I doubt that they would read your personal statement to see when exactly you were applying though. If you really wanted to go EA I would have emailed the admissions office just to make sure it would count as EA (that's what I did). I don't think they'll move you out of regular decision now, but you can always check.

myenigmamachine

Postby myenigmamachine » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:51 am

So, I'm one of the lucky ones that has already heard back from Santa Clara as "Accepted" (YAY!!!!). However, I've been admitted to the part-time program. To be honest, I'd rather just do the full-time program as I don't really need to work during law school and I'd rather start making money a year earlier. In my acceptance packet, it mentioned that it is possible to transfer from part-time to full-time after the first year (I assume covering the difference over the summer after 1L). Does anyone have any information on this process? Does it put you back on track to graduate in 3 years? Is it really easy to get approved or do you need to have a certain GPA/class rank? Does it say anything different on the diploma? Is it maybe possible to transfer to full-time before the first year? Would future employers care? For many reasons I won't go into now, Santa Clara is the perfect school for me and I'll go either way, but I'm just wondering.

TL;DR: How do I transfer from part-time to full-time at Santa Clara Law?

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:36 am

myenigmamachine wrote:How do I transfer from part-time to full-time at Santa Clara Law?

+1
I haven't heard back yet, so that means there is still a possibility that this may be my fate. Like you, I don't want to put off making money for a year, and this outcome would really ruin my 5-year plan if I had to stay in PT; so I have been curious how easy it would be to switch if this happened, but I haven't been able to find much looking around for an answer. Sorry that doesn't answer your question either.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:55 pm

MrMisiu wrote:
myenigmamachine wrote:How do I transfer from part-time to full-time at Santa Clara Law?

+1
I haven't heard back yet, so that means there is still a possibility that this may be my fate. Like you, I don't want to put off making money for a year, and this outcome would really ruin my 5-year plan if I had to stay in PT; so I have been curious how easy it would be to switch if this happened, but I haven't been able to find much looking around for an answer. Sorry that doesn't answer your question either.

I talked to the admin staff about this on a visit to the campus. You take part time through out the year + summer school, and then try to transfer. I think its a beuractic thing.

P.S.

You can gradaute in 3 years if you take summer school part time, but it really really fucks with employement if you can not intern during summer. Interning is crucial. Regardless of what people say if you need a 2L summer internship.

IfByWhiskey770

Postby IfByWhiskey770 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:40 am

myenigmamachine wrote:So, I'm one of the lucky ones that has already heard back from Santa Clara as "Accepted" (YAY!!!!). However, I've been admitted to the part-time program. To be honest, I'd rather just do the full-time program as I don't really need to work during law school and I'd rather start making money a year earlier. In my acceptance packet, it mentioned that it is possible to transfer from part-time to full-time after the first year (I assume covering the difference over the summer after 1L). Does anyone have any information on this process? Does it put you back on track to graduate in 3 years? Is it really easy to get approved or do you need to have a certain GPA/class rank? Does it say anything different on the diploma? Is it maybe possible to transfer to full-time before the first year? Would future employers care? For many reasons I won't go into now, Santa Clara is the perfect school for me and I'll go either way, but I'm just wondering.

TL;DR: How do I transfer from part-time to full-time at Santa Clara Law?

It makes no difference on your diploma. A JD is a JD.

kendraston

Postby kendraston » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:54 pm

So I finally found out that I am an admit for the PT program, YAY! But I am having a hard time because due to a weird family emergency I might not be able to go to school until 2012. Does anyone know about the deferment process? Is it better to wait until after I have financial offers from all the schools I applied to, so that if I get a good offer I can apply it in the 2012 cycle? I really wish I could just go in 2011, but life is crazy. Thanks for any help!

IfByWhiskey770

Postby IfByWhiskey770 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:59 pm

kendraston wrote:So I finally found out that I am an admit for the PT program, YAY! But I am having a hard time because due to a weird family emergency I might not be able to go to school until 2012. Does anyone know about the deferment process? Is it better to wait until after I have financial offers from all the schools I applied to, so that if I get a good offer I can apply it in the 2012 cycle? I really wish I could just go in 2011, but life is crazy. Thanks for any help!

Congrats!

I don't know about Santa Clara specifically, but getting a deferment in general is complicated and unlikely, that is - if the school even offers deferments (e.g. Hastings doesn't offer them at all.) At least some schools won't even really defer you, just take a fresh look at the application for the following cycle, and with standards getting higher every year in terms of GPA and LSAT scores, that's probably not beneficial to the applicant. I would call SCU to see what their exact procedure is if they even have one.

If you were admitted to the PT program, do you think that would really keep you from your family commitments? It's a program that is really designed for those with 40 hour-a-week careers and family obligations (or young students who don't wanna shoulder the burden of excessive student loans... like me), so I imagine it would be even tougher to obtain a deferment if you were offered PT status by the adcom.

Anyway, CONGRATS! :D

kendraston

Postby kendraston » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:25 pm

If you were admitted to the PT program, do you think that would really keep you from your family commitments? It's a program that is really designed for those with 40 hour-a-week careers and family obligations (or young students who don't wanna shoulder the burden of excessive student loans... like me), so I imagine it would be even tougher to obtain a deferment if you were offered PT status by the adcom.

Thank you so much for your help. I will plan on contacting them right away. There are three things that all happened in a very short time period that make me think it won't be possible. 1) Found out I am expecting baby #2 - due this summer, 2) my husband left me, and 3) my grandmother has become extremely ill and is dependent on my care. So there is literally no way I would have time even for part time. :( Good luck to you on your applications!

stheskier

Postby stheskier » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:38 pm

kendraston wrote:Thank you so much for your help. I will plan on contacting them right away. There are three things that all happened in a very short time period that make me think it won't be possible. 1) Found out I am expecting baby #2 - due this summer, 2) my husband left me, and 3) my grandmother has become extremely ill and is dependent on my care. So there is literally no way I would have time even for part time. :( Good luck to you on your applications!

I have a friend who is pregnant and was denied for deferment by many Texas schools (where she wanted to go) for that reason.

Spack

Postby Spack » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:50 pm

kendraston wrote:

Thank you so much for your help. I will plan on contacting them right away. There are three things that all happened in a very short time period that make me think it won't be possible. 1) Found out I am expecting baby #2 - due this summer, 2) my husband left me, and 3) my grandmother has become extremely ill and is dependent on my care. So there is literally no way I would have time even for part time. :( Good luck to you on your applications!

Oh wow. I feel like they would HAVE to be understanding. Those are some really extenuating circumstances. They really can't expect you to be ready to go with a newborn, much less a newborn and a sick grandmother. I am sorry that all of this happened right now. Look on the bright side, babies are cute!

I would write them immediately and say "If you want me nursing my baby during Torts then fine..." or maybe something a little less blunt :P

kendraston

Postby kendraston » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:06 pm

Spack wrote:I would write them immediately and say "If you want me nursing my baby during Torts then fine..." or maybe something a little less blunt :P

Love it! LOL

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:24 pm

I submitted on 11/1, went complete on 11/3, and went in committee on 11/10. Today my date changed to "In Committee 12/."

Any ideas as to why the date changed, or why it changed to last weekend's date instead of todays? I've been checking obsessively, so I know it just changed this afternoon. Strange. :?

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:51 pm

We are clearly cut from the same undesirable cloth, I assume wool since a large amount of people find it itchy (presumably the admissions board as well).

Same thing happened to me; status was in review the 15th, and I noticed yesterday it switched to a date last week rather than the 6th.

mistermister

Postby mistermister » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:00 pm

went to committee today. When can I expect to hear?

My LSAT is above their 75th and my GPA is between their median and 75th.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:11 pm

Defered crew any action?

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:14 pm

MrMisiu wrote:We are clearly cut from the same undesirable cloth, I assume wool since a large amount of people find it itchy (presumably the admissions board as well).

Same thing happened to me; status was in review the 15th, and I noticed yesterday it switched to a date last week rather than the 6th.

Curiouser and curiouser! :) Siiiiiigh. I hope they realize their own self-imposed EA deadline for decisions is looming.

stheskier

Postby stheskier » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:28 pm

Mine hasn't changed dates yet. I bet it does tomorrow. It seems my statii are delayed one day from other people's. Who knows why.

hopefulIPgirl

Postby hopefulIPgirl » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:38 pm

swilson215 wrote:I submitted on 11/1, went complete on 11/3, and went in committee on 11/10. Today my date changed to "In Committee 12/."

Any ideas as to why the date changed, or why it changed to last weekend's date instead of todays? I've been checking obsessively, so I know it just changed this afternoon. Strange. :?

My status was In Committee 11/15 and then changed to In Committee 11/23 two weeks ago. The next day I had a decision letter mailed 11/24 in the mailings section. They seem to do things on Wednesdays. So you guys may get updated tomorrow! Good luck!

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:43 pm

hopefulIPgirl wrote:
swilson215 wrote:I submitted on 11/1, went complete on 11/3, and went in committee on 11/10. Today my date changed to "In Committee 12/."

My status was In Committee 11/15 and then changed to In Committee 11/23 two weeks ago. The next day I had a decision letter mailed 11/24 in the mailings section. They seem to do things on Wednesdays. So you guys may get updated tomorrow! Good luck!

Here's hoping! *fingers crossed*

florentine

Postby florentine » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:12 pm

Went complete 11/10, update on 11/15 to in committee, decision sent 12/02. (If anyone else is in this boat, do not worry because sometimes they are not always able to get the letters out on that date. They have a process that it goes through before so it may be delayed sometimes a couple of days.) I'm still waiting for my letter...

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:27 am

Jeez, kept out of another batch of acceptances... That's four now.
Congrats, though, Florentine!

florentine

Postby florentine » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:18 pm

Got my acceptance letter today! In with $4000 scholarship!

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:23 pm

florentine wrote:Got my acceptance letter today! In with $4000 scholarship!

congrats, florentine! :D

florentine

Postby florentine » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:23 pm

swilson215 wrote:

Thanks! I'm really excited because this is my number one choice!

IfByWhiskey770

Postby IfByWhiskey770 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:41 pm

florentine wrote:
swilson215 wrote:

Thanks! I'm really excited because this is my number one choice!

Looks like I'll be seeing some of you guys next fall.

'grats!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”