Santa Clara University 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jarofsoup

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:43 pm

For those defered from EA did you go back into committe? Or did it just say defered to regular admission meaning you are in comittee just waiting.

IfByWhiskey770

Postby IfByWhiskey770 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:52 pm

myenigmamachine wrote:Well, nothing in the mail today and still nothing online. Hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow. Anyone get their letter today? Anyone see anything in their online status checker? Does anyone else still have "Decision Letter Sent" and "In Committee" at the same time in the status checker? Anyone have any guesses what this means? I figure it could go either way, might be they're just too backed up to change the status. I figure there's no more reason they would have changed it for admitted vs not admitted... right? Anyone else freaking out :-p ?

It looks like SCU groups all decisions together (e.g. all admits together, all defers together, etc.) One round of admits two weeks ago, defers last week, and I'M HOPING a round of admits this week -- since my decision was mailed on 11/24. If this trend is real then I won't be too pessimistic.
- One person on this thread got admitted via snail mail, received 11/27 (I'm assuming it was mailed on the 24th like ours).
- Someone with high numbers on LSN also posted that 11/24 was when his/her decision was sent, but the status is still listed as Pending. His numbers are well above the SCU's medians.
- Someone on the board whose Status Check reads the his decision was mailed 11/24 was reassigned to Part Time, which (I assume) would me he's in for the Evening Program.

But we shall see. I'm trying to think positively.

myenigmamachine

Postby myenigmamachine » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:00 pm

IfByWhiskey770 wrote:
myenigmamachine wrote:Well, nothing in the mail today and still nothing online. Hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow. Anyone get their letter today? Anyone see anything in their online status checker? Does anyone else still have "Decision Letter Sent" and "In Committee" at the same time in the status checker? Anyone have any guesses what this means? I figure it could go either way, might be they're just too backed up to change the status. I figure there's no more reason they would have changed it for admitted vs not admitted... right? Anyone else freaking out :-p ?

It looks like SCU groups all decisions together (e.g. all admits together, all defers together, etc.) One round of admits two weeks ago, defers last week, and I'M HOPING a round of admits this week -- since my decision was mailed on 11/24. If this trend is real then I won't be too pessimistic.
- One person on this thread got admitted via snail mail, received 11/27 (I'm assuming it was mailed on the 24th like ours).
- Someone with high numbers on LSN also posted that 11/24 was when his/her decision was sent, but the status is still listed as Pending. His numbers are well above the SCU's medians.
- Someone on the board whose Status Check reads the his decision was mailed 11/24 was reassigned to Part Time, which (I assume) would me he's in for the Evening Program.

Yeah, it was me who got updated to "Part-time". I'll be ok with that as long as I get in. You've got a point though, if they're doing admits in groups, then I suppose it's a good sign. It seems like, people are mostly getting deferred to regular admissions, not outright rejected. Maybe people just stop posting when they get a reject letter but I haven't seen anyone mention getting one yet. Anyway, for me, Santa Clara is the perfect school; it's close and it's the only top 100 school in the region I think I have a good shot at getting into. Anyone else know they're going to Santa Clara if they get in?

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:16 pm

I'm definitely going if I get in for full-time, but I still haven't received any updates since I went into committee two weeks ago

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:36 pm

MrMisiu wrote:I'm definitely going if I get in for full-time, but I still haven't received any updates since I went into committee two weeks ago

I haven't heard back yet, either. Applied 11/1, went In Committee on 11/10. Maybe in this case no news is better than bad news? Fingers crossed.

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Yours and mine.

florentine

Postby florentine » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:52 pm

swilson215 wrote:
MrMisiu wrote:I'm definitely going if I get in for full-time, but I still haven't received any updates since I went into committee two weeks ago

I haven't heard back yet, either. Applied 11/1, went In Committee on 11/10. Maybe in this case no news is better than bad news? Fingers crossed.

Same exact situation here... went into committee on 11/10 and no news yet...

IfByWhiskey770

Postby IfByWhiskey770 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:26 pm

myenigmamachine wrote:
IfByWhiskey770 wrote:

Yeah, it was me who got updated to "Part-time". I'll be ok with that as long as I get in. You've got a point though, if they're doing admits in groups, then I suppose it's a good sign. It seems like, people are mostly getting deferred to regular admissions, not outright rejected. Maybe people just stop posting when they get a reject letter but I haven't seen anyone mention getting one yet. Anyway, for me, Santa Clara is the perfect school; it's close and it's the only top 100 school in the region I think I have a good shot at getting into. Anyone else know they're going to Santa Clara if they get in?

If I get into both Santa Clara and USF it will be a toss-up (I also applied to Berkeley-Boalt since their admission standards are so odd and unpredictable, but I don't think I'd go if I got in.) They're both pretty close to me, about 20 minutes to a half hour each way (I live in Burlingame.) Both schools would be great fits for me.

I try not to pay too much attention to USNWR rankings. USF and SCU especially fluctuate in the rankings far too much for me to follow USNWR as religiously as everyone else does. Seems like overkill with some applicants.

-In the last edition USF ranked third tier. This year, it's 98. The same story with Pacific-McGeorge.

-As recently as 2006, SCU was also a Tier 3 :!: (see http://law.scu.edu/news/pr/deans-respon ... nkings.cfm). Last edition it was 77, now it's 93. Who freakin' knows.

All that matters to me is that it's reputable in the Bay Area where I know I want to practice, as is USF.

Also, I haven't seen any rejects listed for SCU on LSN (except for one, but that one seems to be a... "special case.")

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:39 pm

I think that one rejection was just misplaced in years, because all her other schools are from last year's cycle.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:13 pm

MrMisiu wrote:I think that one rejection was just misplaced in years, because all her other schools are from last year's cycle.

+1.

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:23 am

jarofsoup wrote:For those defered from EA did you go back into committe? Or did it just say defered to regular admission meaning you are in comittee just waiting.

Deferred to Regular Admissions. They said they would re-review starting in January.

gokickrocks

Postby gokickrocks » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:33 pm

adonai wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:For those defered from EA did you go back into committe? Or did it just say defered to regular admission meaning you are in comittee just waiting.

Deferred to Regular Admissions. They said they would re-review starting in January.

Mine says the same thing.

LilMonsterAnnie

Postby LilMonsterAnnie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:18 pm

[/quote]If I get into both Santa Clara and USF it will be a toss-up (I also applied to Berkeley-Boalt since their admission standards are so odd and unpredictable, but I don't think I'd go if I got in.) They're both pretty close to me, about 20 minutes to a half hour each way (I live in Burlingame.) Both schools would be great fits for me.

I try not to pay too much attention to USNWR rankings. USF and SCU especially fluctuate in the rankings far too much for me to follow USNWR as religiously as everyone else does. Seems like overkill with some applicants.

-In the last edition USF ranked third tier. This year, it's 98. The same story with Pacific-McGeorge.

-As recently as 2006, SCU was also a Tier 3 :!: (see http://law.scu.edu/news/pr/deans-respon ... nkings.cfm). Last edition it was 77, now it's 93. Who freakin' knows.

All that matters to me is that it's reputable in the Bay Area where I know I want to practice, as is USF.

Also, I haven't seen any rejects listed for SCU on LSN (except for one, but that one seems to be a... "special case.")[/quote]

This has to be some of the most intelligent insight and commentary I have read on TLS. Thank you.

hopefulIPgirl

Postby hopefulIPgirl » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:36 pm

still waiting for the mailman to bring some news. I live about a mile away from SCU. SIGH!

stheskier

Postby stheskier » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:17 pm

swilson215 wrote:

I am in the same boat, but I din't apply ED. Did you?

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:32 pm

stheskier wrote:

I did apply ED, but I got my app in RIGHT before the cut off (like, 11:15 pm PST). And I'm a big splitter. Hmmm.

stheskier

Postby stheskier » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:35 pm

I am a splitter also. I have good softs though.
I hope they help and think this might explain why I have been sitting in committee so long.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:40 pm

stheskier wrote:I am a splitter also. I have good softs though.
I hope they help and think this might explain why I have been sitting in committee so long.

+1. That's the way I'm choosing to look at it, at least. :)

IfByWhiskey770

Postby IfByWhiskey770 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:25 pm

swilson215 wrote:
stheskier wrote:

I did apply ED, but I got my app in RIGHT before the cut off (like, 11:15 pm PST). And I'm a big splitter. Hmmm.

Does Status Check say whether your decision was mailed?

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:31 pm

IfByWhiskey770 wrote:Does Status Check say whether your decision was mailed?

Nope, I'm still In Committee as of today (since the 10th).

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:58 pm

I'm just curious, fellow splitters, what were your chances of getting in if you used an admission predictor? LSAC's gave me just about 75%, but others only gave me a 30.
I'm just below the 25th percentile for GPA, but at the 75th for LSAT, so percentile wise I suppose I fall just below an overall 50th percentile.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:34 pm

MrMisiu wrote:I'm just curious, fellow splitters, what were your chances of getting in if you used an admission predictor? LSAC's gave me just about 75%, but others only gave me a 30.
I'm just below the 25th percentile for GPA, but at the 75th for LSAT, so percentile wise I suppose I fall just below an overall 50th percentile.

You and I are numbers twins for SCU :lol: ! LSAC gave me between 62% and 79% (that's a pretty big range, LSAC); LSP gave me just a little above 30%.

myenigmamachine

Postby myenigmamachine » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:32 pm

hopefulIPgirl wrote:still waiting for the mailman to bring some news. I live about a mile away from SCU. SIGH!

I live about ten min away and I'm in the same boat. I bet they started preparing the decision letters on the 24th rather than mailing them then. I figured I'd hear on Monday but still nothing. I'm just telling myself that my acceptance packet is so big and overfilled with scholarship offers that it's having to be transported by a team of horses and that's why it's taking forever. :-P

IfByWhiskey770

Postby IfByWhiskey770 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:08 pm

myenigmamachine wrote:
hopefulIPgirl wrote:still waiting for the mailman to bring some news. I live about a mile away from SCU. SIGH!

I live about ten min away and I'm in the same boat. I bet they started preparing the decision letters on the 24th rather than mailing them then. I figured I'd hear on Monday but still nothing. I'm just telling myself that my acceptance packet is so big and overfilled with scholarship offers that it's having to be transported by a team of horses and that's why it's taking forever. :-P

The people who had their letters "mailed" on the 10th had their status change updated to "Admitted" on the 15th, but didn't get their actual letters until a few days later (18th or so). My attention's been focused on the online checker more than my empty ass mailbox.

myenigmamachine

Postby myenigmamachine » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:29 pm

IfByWhiskey770 wrote:
myenigmamachine wrote:

The people who had their letters "mailed" on the 10th had their status change updated to "Admitted" on the 15th, but didn't get their actual letters until a few days later (18th or so). My attention's been focused on the online checker more than my empty ass mailbox.

Huh, that's a good bit of information.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”