Santa Clara University 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dstr15

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Postby dstr15 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:02 pm

I'm still waiting for the letter. I figured it would be here this week, but I'm all the way in NY so who knows. Do you mind sharing the contents of the letter Kiwi (financial aid?)?

fragged

Postby fragged » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:02 pm

Just received my letter today - nothing about scholarships. From what I've read in past cycles, scholarship letters come separately.

gdizz01

Postby gdizz01 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:22 pm

OklahomasOK wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:For those that went into committe on 11/14 any updates?

Still checking, I went into committee earlier (11/8 I think), but my status checker was updated 11/15 again, still in review.

I too went to committee I believe around 11/8, and am still there today. To the person above me, I was admitted with scholly after applying towards the end of the regular admission cycle, and scholly letter came with acceptance.

florentine

Postby florentine » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:12 am

OklahomasOK wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:For those that went into committe on 11/14 any updates?

Still checking, I went into committee earlier (11/8 I think), but my status checker was updated 11/15 again, still in review.

Same.

BSJ921

Postby BSJ921 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:41 pm

Got my letter also! Relieved by fragged's news about separate scholarships correspondence.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:58 pm

I am in committee and its so much fun. I just do not want to get differed.

adonai

Postby adonai » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:23 pm

jarofsoup wrote:I am in committee and its so much fun. I just do not want to get differed.

160 LSAT seems to be their cut off for acceptance through EA. I think this is why I got deferred despite alright numbers and an expressed enthusiasm for the school. They're really trying to push their luck at the whole increased applicants/medians game and trying to see how many 160s will apply/matriculate. I don't blame them though cause they have fallen almost 20 spots since just a couple years ago.

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:36 pm

Meaning they won't really look at you for EA if you have below 160, or meaning you're "guaranteed" in with over a 160?

adonai

Postby adonai » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:47 pm

MrMisiu wrote:Meaning they won't really look at you for EA if you have below 160, or meaning you're "guaranteed" in with over a 160?

160 to get in through EA, unless your gpa is really low. It seems they really do look at apps as they come in and give you a prompt response based on when you went complete.

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:08 pm

In that case, I guess I should have sent some naked pictures with my application, you know, to really sweeten the pot... :?

Kiwi917

Postby Kiwi917 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:16 pm

dstr15 wrote:I'm still waiting for the letter. I figured it would be here this week, but I'm all the way in NY so who knows. Do you mind sharing the contents of the letter Kiwi (financial aid?)?

Nothing on financial aid aside from a reminder to do the FAFSA forms. Last year's thread seems to confirm that scholarship info comes later (keeping my fingers crossed). Overall, the letter seemed fairly standard - congratulations, call us with any questions, here are some visit dates, here is an envelope to send in your deposit, etc.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:15 pm

I am not sure if this is true with the 160 thing. I went into committee last week. We will know on Jan. 1st I guess.

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:43 pm

There's someone with a 159 that got admitted on LSN, so I guess it's not written in stone. But I figured adonai just meant admission, not deferment without review.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:47 pm

MrMisiu wrote:There's someone with a 159 that got admitted on LSN, so I guess it's not written in stone. But I figured adonai just meant admission, not deferment without review.

I have been in review for over a week. I have a very strong LOR and PS though may be helping me. Numbers are not the best but with in their mediums.

I am thinking I am going to get offered part time.

If admitted where are you all going to live if you decide to go? I kind of do not want to leave the bay area, but I have heard that 1L at SCU is really hard.

Are any of you worried about job prospects coming out of SCU? It seems that a lot of Big Firms have a lot of IP people from SCU and some M and A and capital markets.

It seems like if you go to SCU and do something Tech related you are in a good spot.

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:23 pm

If it makes you feel any better, the LOR I submitted wasn't as highly polished as it ultimately turned out to be in later applications. So I have that going against me.

If I get in, I'm coming from New Jersey- if I decide paying three times the yearly price is worth it- so I've been intensely looking around for the past couple months for good areas. I looked around on Craigslist, but I know for a (very depressing/frightening) fact that not everything posted there is as it appears to be :shock: .

As far as prospects go, I'm a little worried, but the cause of that anxiety might be misinformation. My mom has been droning on about some report she saw that mention how businesses in San Jose and other areas near there are leaving in droves. I didn't see it, but she's not above lying to keep me in NJ... Besides that, all the UCs in the region and Stanford make me feel insignificant, largely in part to these boards.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:43 pm

MrMisiu wrote:If it makes you feel any better, the LOR I submitted wasn't as highly polished as it ultimately turned out to be in later applications. So I have that going against me.

If I get in, I'm coming from New Jersey- if I decide paying three times the yearly price is worth it- so I've been intensely looking around for the past couple months for good areas. I looked around on Craigslist, but I know for a (very depressing/frightening) fact that not everything posted there is as it appears to be :shock: .

As far as prospects go, I'm a little worried, but the cause of that anxiety might be misinformation. My mom has been droning on about some report she saw that mention how businesses in San Jose and other areas near there are leaving in droves. I didn't see it, but she's not above lying to keep me in NJ... Besides that, all the UCs in the region and Stanford make me feel insignificant, largely in part to these boards.

If you want to go into BigLaw you might have an uphill battle because you will be competing with Berkeley, Stanford and Hastings grads, but a lot of attorneys at the firm where I currently work are SCU grads, and our firm loves SCU grads and summer associates, because they are really prepared well, especially in IP (obviously). However, as long as you're towards the top of your class you should be fine around the bay area and central california, and SCU travels pretty well within California/Nevada (or so I've heard).

florentine

Postby florentine » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:26 pm

swilson215 wrote:
MrMisiu wrote:If it makes you feel any better, the LOR I submitted wasn't as highly polished as it ultimately turned out to be in later applications. So I have that going against me.

If you want to go into BigLaw you might have an uphill battle because you will be competing with Berkeley, Stanford and Hastings grads, but a lot of attorneys at the firm where I currently work are SCU grads, and our firm loves SCU grads and summer associates, because they are really prepared well, especially in IP (obviously). However, as long as you're towards the top of your class you should be fine around the bay area and central california, and SCU travels pretty well within California/Nevada (or so I've heard).

Is doing IP law even worth it if you don't have a science or engineering degree because you cannot take the patent bar?

yoitsmebenny

Postby yoitsmebenny » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:52 pm

florentine wrote:
swilson215 wrote:

Is doing IP law even worth it if you don't have a science or engineering degree because you cannot take the patent bar?

Patents are but one of many types of intellectual property.

florentine

Postby florentine » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:59 pm

yoitsmebenny wrote:
florentine wrote:
swilson215 wrote:

Oh ya I actually really enjoy trademarks, trade secrets, and copyright. But as far as getting employed without the being able to do patent law... Is it worth?

yoitsmebenny

Postby yoitsmebenny » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:12 pm

florentine wrote:
yoitsmebenny wrote:
florentine wrote:Is doing IP law even worth it if you don't have a science or engineering degree because you cannot take the patent bar?

Oh ya I actually really enjoy trademarks, trade secrets, and copyright. But as far as getting employed without the being able to do patent law... Is it worth?

I would certainly hope so...I'm going in with a somewhat technical background (Information Systems undergrad), but not one considered "hard" enough for Patent Bar. I still would like to potentially work in IP.

Anyone thinking of attending the EA admit weekend Jan. 26th?

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:47 pm

yoitsmebenny wrote:Anyone thinking of attending the EA admit weekend Jan. 26th?

If I get in by then I'll be there. :wink:

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:44 pm

Defered today :(

Is this a really bad thing?

estrellaz

Postby estrellaz » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:58 pm

I got deferred today too.. sure feels like a bad thing.

florentine

Postby florentine » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:04 pm

estrellaz wrote:I got deferred today too.. sure feels like a bad thing.

When did you go complete? Did you find out on your status checker?

Sorry to hear that but you still will be considered again in the regular admissions pool so you still have a great chance!

estrellaz

Postby estrellaz » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:14 pm

Application Received - 11/01/2010
Application Completed - 11/16/2010

And then today on my status checker~
Current Status: Defer to Regular Admissions
Current Status Date: 11/23/2010
Last edited by estrellaz on Wed May 02, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”