Santa Clara University 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Gaucho

New

Re: Santa Clara University 2014

Post by Gaucho » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:18 pm

in with 12k renewable scholarship, no stipulations

regardless, probably gonna withdraw

and to those people in this thread that said their status checkers changed to decision mailed, sorry to say but i'm pretty sure it's gonna be a rejection letter. my checker changed from under review directly to admitted, and i got my packet about 3 days after. just my 2 cents...

Mike088

Bronze

Post by Mike088 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:45 pm

anybody going to the admitted students day tomorrow? still not sure if i want to go. i haven't done any of the readings they wanted us to do for the mock trial.

Crazzzybudha

New

Post by Crazzzybudha » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:34 am

Gaucho wrote: and to those people in this thread that said their status checkers changed to decision mailed, sorry to say but i'm pretty sure it's gonna be a rejection letter. my checker changed from under review directly to admitted, and i got my packet about 3 days after. just my 2 cents...
I just want to give these people some hope. I'm going to guess you got waitlisted. The schools that rejected me did it via email. I would hope Santa Clara isn't cruel enough to say "decision mailed" to get you all excited and then just send a rejection letter. But since it didn't change to "admitted" you might not be admitted. Probably waitlisted. Better then rejected right?

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:33 am

I am still in committee debating sending a last minute LOCI.

zla2014

Bronze

Post by zla2014 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:10 am

jarofsoup wrote:I am still in committee debating sending a last minute LOCI.
I've been in committee since 2/1. I called today and they looked up my application, said they haven't even begun reviewing my app yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mike088

Bronze

Post by Mike088 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:58 am

Decided to skip admitted students day. hope that doesn't matter much.

minky

New

Post by minky » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:09 pm

Mike088 wrote:Decided to skip admitted students day. hope that doesn't matter much.
Hahaha so did I. Are you seriously considering SCU? I feel like I should have gone just in case I decide to go there but I think the fact that I had no motivation to show up pretty much means I won't go lol.

Mike088

Bronze

Post by Mike088 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:40 pm

minky wrote:
Mike088 wrote:Decided to skip admitted students day. hope that doesn't matter much.
Hahaha so did I. Are you seriously considering SCU? I feel like I should have gone just in case I decide to go there but I think the fact that I had no motivation to show up pretty much means I won't go lol.
minky wrote:

Well SCU was supposed to be my fall back school. But i'll i've gotten into so far is SCU and university of SD. I'm still waiting on Davis and Hastings, and have been waitlisted by Loyola and William and Mary. So right now it's looking like i may not have much of a choice :(

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:43 pm

put a review of my experience at the Santa Clara ASW this weekend up on my blog, for anyone that's interested! Link is in my profile.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zla2014

Bronze

Post by zla2014 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:58 pm

swilson215 wrote:put a review of my experience at the Santa Clara ASW this weekend up on my blog, for anyone that's interested! Link is in my profile.
Just read your review and your LSN acct. Thank you for writing the review, it was very helpful! I visited SCU in January, it was a Monday and everything seemed closed then too. It wasn't raining but it was like a ghost town. I'm wondering if that's just the norm.

Also, I saw on your LSN that you were an MUN head delegate too! I love seeing those fellow MUNers out there! Were you at any of the conferences last year? San Francisco or Montreal?

florentine

Bronze

Post by florentine » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:01 pm

swilson215 wrote:put a review of my experience at the Santa Clara ASW this weekend up on my blog, for anyone that's interested! Link is in my profile.
Thanks for the overview of what ASW at SCU, but I got the feeling that you still are upset with them and the effort they put forth. Did you mean to have that come through? Is it still your first choice?

McNulty

Bronze

Post by McNulty » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:37 pm

Swilson - the team is actually the San Jose Earthquakes, not San Joaquin. I believe San Joaquin County is in the central valley. Excellent read though!

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:12 pm

You're right, it is the San Jose Earthquakes...oops! I'll make that change! I drove through San Joaquin county on my way home!

As far as my experience,
of course it's colored by my prior interactions with the staff, by I would say a majority of the "negative-ness" in the post actually comes from comparing the organization of the program with the other programs I've been to (most recently mcgeorge, but I went to USF, Chapman and Whittier in the last year or so).

Santa Clara is still one of my top two choices. I think it would be silly of me to let a negative experience with one staff member deter me from going to a great school!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MalachiConstant

New

Post by MalachiConstant » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:49 pm

I live close by and have visited 3 times. Once so I could put that I had spoken with someone on the app, second to sit in on a class + tour, and finally ASD. As someone that grew up in silicon valley, SCU has an amazing reputation, but after each visit I am left wondering why.

I admit that my view may be tempered by the fact that it rained all three times, which is unusual, or that the student tour guide was late (not technically the schools fault) but everything seems to be run poorly. The person I am supposed to speak with about scholarships is never available. The sit-in class they assign is 3/4ths of the way through.

So I went to ASD excited to see them put on a coordinated show but the moment I walked in the door I had to make my own nametag because, though I RSVPed, they had not made mine.

Nevertheless, SCU is a great school, and through all this mishandling, I could still do a great job promoting it. The professor I spoke with at ASD did not have this talent. When asked "Why SCU" I received these 3 reasons to attend:

1. We have a large but not often talked about struggling student help program.
2. SCU has an amazing study abroad program.
3. Our JD is very valuable even if you don't want to be a lawyer.

Thank you professor for telling me that this would be a great law school if I don't want to be a lawyer, struggle, and don't want to be here. (Hyperbolic and joking)

In summary - SCU: Great school but the price just went up scholarship-wise.

zla2014

Bronze

Post by zla2014 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:01 pm

MalachiConstant wrote:I live close by and have visited 3 times. Once so I could put that I had spoken with someone on the app, second to sit in on a class + tour, and finally ASD. As someone that grew up in silicon valley, SCU has an amazing reputation, but after each visit I am left wondering why.

I admit that my view may be tempered by the fact that it rained all three times, which is unusual, or that the student tour guide was late (not technically the schools fault) but everything seems to be run poorly. The person I am supposed to speak with about scholarships is never available. The sit-in class they assign is 3/4ths of the way through.

So I went to ASD excited to see them put on a coordinated show but the moment I walked in the door I had to make my own nametag because, though I RSVPed, they had not made mine.

Nevertheless, SCU is a great school, and through all this mishandling, I could still do a great job promoting it. The professor I spoke with at ASD did not have this talent. When asked "Why SCU" I received these 3 reasons to attend:

1. We have a large but not often talked about struggling student help program.
2. SCU has an amazing study abroad program.
3. Our JD is very valuable even if you don't want to be a lawyer.

Thank you professor for telling me that this would be a great law school if I don't want to be a lawyer, struggle, and don't want to be here. (Hyperbolic and joking)

In summary - SCU: Great school but the price just went up scholarship-wise.
I'm sorry you've had such bad experiences with the school. I visited there on a beautiful day, but like I said in earlier posts, the town was completely dead. That may be good for us 1Ls, but I bet with the right student body, we could liven it up there, right?!?

I also spoke with the Assistant Dean at the West Coast Consortium a few weeks ago in Los Angeles. She helped sell the school really well. She went on an on about the school's commitment to social justice and also talked about the study abroad programs, public interest and IP programs. She talked about the school's Jesuit tradition too, but made sure that we knew they did not promote religion in classes.

Even though there was a line of people to speak with her, she spoke to me for about 20 minutes, answered all of my many questions and smiled genuinely the entire time. She was extremely informative, honest, and sincere. At the end of our conversation I asked her about what would happen if I was waitlisted (because I've already been waitlisted at 5 schools) and she gave me her card and told me to e-mail her personally if that happens. She also remembered me by name at the end of our conversation.

Needless to say, I was very impressed. So, maybe it really does matter on who you speak to and they have their on and off days?

MalachiConstant

New

Post by MalachiConstant » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:05 pm

I completely agree. I just want more money. Consider it a taxation on future headaches for their "offdays".

You guys think I should I put that in my $ request letter?

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:12 pm

MalachiConstant wrote:I completely agree. I just want more money. Consider it a taxation on future headaches for their "offdays".

Hahaha, yeah, why not?! I don't think they even read my (compelling) email. I got a reply of "no" back verrrrrry quickly. And I'm glad to see someone has a similar experience at the ASW as I did.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zla2014

Bronze

Post by zla2014 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:17 pm

MalachiConstant wrote:I completely agree. I just want more money. Consider it a taxation on future headaches for their "offdays".

I actually asked if we can ask for more $$, she said yes. With all these ppl withdrawing and forfeiting their $$, may be able to get your hands on some of it at the end of the cycle.

zla2014

Bronze

Post by zla2014 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:18 pm

That's fair. :lol:

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:01 pm

SC bumped my scholarship ridiculously. not even sure if it is correct. i went from getting $14,000 - which I thought was over three years to a little under $25,000 per year. still with the same stips, though.

i really think this might be a mistake though. and either way, i already withdrew. weird.

restless

New

Post by restless » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:15 pm

bartleby wrote:SC bumped my scholarship ridiculously. not even sure if it is correct. i went from getting $14,000 - which I thought was over three years to a little under $25,000 per year. still with the same stips, though.

i really think this might be a mistake though. and either way, i already withdrew. weird.
Was this recent? If this happens to me within the next few weeks, SCU would be my top choice (barring an acceptance lettter from Hastings). I'm currently sitting at $16k.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:11 pm

zla2014 wrote:

I actually asked if we can ask for more $$, she said yes. With all these ppl withdrawing and forfeiting their $$, may be able to get your hands on some of it at the end of the cycle.

I guess I'll have to REsend my request at a later date...got shot down a few weeks ago. Here's hoping!!

florentine

Bronze

Post by florentine » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:43 pm

swilson215 wrote:
zla2014 wrote:

I guess I'll have to REsend my request at a later date...got shot down a few weeks ago. Here's hoping!!
I have been mulling over the idea of resending my request as well.

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:54 pm

florentine wrote: I have been mulling over the idea of resending my request as well.
They might see it as annoying, but it can't hurt, right? and at least they'll have a better idea of their money situation after April, right?

florentine

Bronze

Post by florentine » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:07 pm

swilson215 wrote:
florentine wrote: I have been mulling over the idea of resending my request as well.
They might see it as annoying, but it can't hurt, right? and at least they'll have a better idea of their money situation after April, right?
Exactly what I am thinking. I'm going for it because you never know till you ask.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”