St. John's 2011 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TracyLynn
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby TracyLynn » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:37 am

I'm in section B! Any others out there?

ElectricDreamMachine
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:23 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby ElectricDreamMachine » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:53 pm

Yep, section B here too!!!

shmumush
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:33 am

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby shmumush » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:57 pm

Section C for me... Anyone else with me?

mlieber
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:39 am

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby mlieber » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:16 pm

Section C for me! anyone know the time frame for the introduction to law or when we will know it?

IH21
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 11:01 am

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby IH21 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:21 am

Anyone going tomorrow night?

cubsma
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby cubsma » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:16 pm

On another school post someone mentioned getting deposits refunded. Does St. John return deposits?

LB88
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby LB88 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:53 am

Sidenote, has anyone found apartment(s) yet? It seems no matter what you need a guarantor. Anyone else run into this problem or am I going through the wrong channels to find a place?

shmumush
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:33 am

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby shmumush » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:54 pm

LB88 wrote:Sidenote, has anyone found apartment(s) yet? It seems no matter what you need a guarantor. Anyone else run into this problem or am I going through the wrong channels to find a place?


Check out kraham realty in forest hills.. They are great, no broker fee, and no guarantor needed

gr100
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby gr100 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:11 pm

.
Last edited by gr100 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

shtolky
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:14 am

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby shtolky » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:59 pm

I'm also in section C. I have civ pro, property, contracts, and writing. I always thought there would be 5 classes in the semester. Does anyone know what the second semester classes consist of?

binghamtonalum
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby binghamtonalum » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:41 am

cubsma wrote:On another school post someone mentioned getting deposits refunded. Does St. John return deposits?



E-mail I received from Admissions (Ms. Flanagan) after asking the same question:

"Indeed, your $750 deposit will get credited to your account and be applied to various fees, etc. that you will be charged. The $750 is entirely eaten up by these fees."

pookie
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:29 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby pookie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:09 pm

I can't log on to sju central..is anyone else having this problem?

binghamtonalum
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby binghamtonalum » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:35 am

pookie wrote:I can't log on to sju central..is anyone else having this problem?


Same here, tried the troubleshooting options as well.

pookie
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:29 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby pookie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:15 am

Hmm maybe ill give them a call today

binghamtonalum
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby binghamtonalum » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:35 am

Book lists are out

binghamtonalum
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby binghamtonalum » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:33 pm

The Orientation or 2-week "Intro to Law" has required textbooks...Anyone know of students who go to St. John's? Did they really buy these books? As it's Pass/Fail, is it possible to pass without getting them?

TITLE:Intro to Legal Method & Process (Casebook)
AUTHOR:Berch
EDITION:5th
COPYRIGHT YEAR:2010
PUBLISHER:West Publishing Company, College & School Division
ISBN:9780314200532
NEW:$158.00
USED:$118.50
RENTAL:$78.92
TITLE:Law School Without Fear
AUTHOR:Shapo
EDITION:3rd
COPYRIGHT YEAR:2009
PUBLISHER:Foundation Press
ISBN:9781599414195
NEW:$41.00
USED:$30.75

Aetos
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby Aetos » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:37 am

binghamtonalum wrote:The Orientation or 2-week "Intro to Law" has required textbooks...Anyone know of students who go to St. John's? Did they really buy these books? As it's Pass/Fail, is it possible to pass without getting them?

TITLE:Intro to Legal Method & Process (Casebook)
AUTHOR:Berch
EDITION:5th
COPYRIGHT YEAR:2010
PUBLISHER:West Publishing Company, College & School Division
ISBN:9780314200532
NEW:$158.00
USED:$118.50
RENTAL:$78.92
TITLE:Law School Without Fear
AUTHOR:Shapo
EDITION:3rd
COPYRIGHT YEAR:2009
PUBLISHER:Foundation Press
ISBN:9781599414195
NEW:$41.00
USED:$30.75


It seems like my section's Introduction to Law course is completely different than yours if we just go by the required books.
My section A Introduction to Law course shows the following required book:

TITLE:Starting off Right in Law School
AUTHOR:Nygren
EDITION:2nd
COPYRIGHT YEAR:2011
PUBLISHER:Carolina Academic Press
ISBN:9781594608254
NEW:$22.00
USED:$16.50

The professor is Elaine M. Chiu.


Has anybody been able to apply for a parking permit? The link seems to have vanished from UIS and the link from within St John's Central forwards to a not found page. :(

IH21
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 11:01 am

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby IH21 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:52 am

Just added up the total of all the required books and it came out to well over $700. I'm sure that's par for the course for law schools, but still ridiculously expensive for something that will likely only be used for four months.

IH21
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 11:01 am

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby IH21 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:53 am

binghamtonalum wrote:Has anybody been able to apply for a parking permit? The link seems to have vanished from UIS and the link from within St John's Central forwards to a not found page. :(


Commuter student, faculty and employee parking permits can be applied for online starting August 1 by visiting the University Web page at http://www.stjohns.edu and then by following the instructions below:


--LinkRemoved--

shmumush
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:33 am

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby shmumush » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:18 pm

For everyone looking into textbooks, make sure you check out gettextbooks.com before you buy them straight from the school. This site aggregates all the sites that sell textbooks and sorts from lowest price first, including shipping. I used this site all through undergrad and I saved hundreds of dollars. No I do not work for this site. Check it out.

Aetos
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby Aetos » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:03 am

shmumush wrote:For everyone looking into textbooks, make sure you check out gettextbooks.com before you buy them straight from the school. This site aggregates all the sites that sell textbooks and sorts from lowest price first, including shipping. I used this site all through undergrad and I saved hundreds of dollars. No I do not work for this site. Check it out.


Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out later.

The total to buy all my books from amazon came out to around $550.

Edit: I just tried it and it saved me over a hundred dollars.

gr100
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby gr100 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:36 am

Have any of you other section c's found out what textbooks we will be using for contracts? It doesn't show on my UIS or TWEN, it says course materials "to be determined".

Also, for Monday, orientation starts at 8:30am, anybody know if this lasts all morning? I know we have another block from 2:30-5:00pm.

shtolky
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:14 am

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby shtolky » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:39 pm

gr100 wrote:Have any of you other section c's found out what textbooks we will be using for contracts? It doesn't show on my UIS or TWEN, it says course materials "to be determined".

Also, for Monday, orientation starts at 8:30am, anybody know if this lasts all morning? I know we have another block from 2:30-5:00pm.



I'm also in section C and the contracts books just came online today, there are two of them. Hope that helps. I think orientation is a couple of hours, not really sure. We'll probably have to kill some time before the first Intro class.

Aetos
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby Aetos » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:38 pm

gr100 wrote:Have any of you other section c's found out what textbooks we will be using for contracts? It doesn't show on my UIS or TWEN, it says course materials "to be determined".

Also, for Monday, orientation starts at 8:30am, anybody know if this lasts all morning? I know we have another block from 2:30-5:00pm.


Section C has class from 2:30-5 this Monday?

It's odd that section C has a half-hour class longer than the section I'm in. Section A has class from 2:30-4:30 on Monday and our orientation start's at 8:30 too.

shmumush
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:33 am

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby shmumush » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:45 pm

Aetos wrote:
gr100 wrote:Have any of you other section c's found out what textbooks we will be using for contracts? It doesn't show on my UIS or TWEN, it says course materials "to be determined".

Also, for Monday, orientation starts at 8:30am, anybody know if this lasts all morning? I know we have another block from 2:30-5:00pm.


Section C has class from 2:30-5 this Monday?

It's odd that section C has a half-hour class longer than the section I'm in. Section A has class from 2:30-4:30 on Monday and our orientation start's at 8:30 too.


But our second week of intro to law has not been scheduled yet. I bet it will even out in that week..




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ajoelles, Google Adsense [Bot] and 6 guests