St. John's 2011 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
binghamtonalum

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby binghamtonalum » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:16 pm

Minnesota, hands down.

shmumush

Postby shmumush » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:26 pm

thinktankdonahue wrote:60k from Twin Cities or full tuition to St. John's? I have by Friday to decide and I am leaning Twin Cities.

Twin Cities... No question here.

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:42 pm

blacklawboss wrote:
binghamtonalum wrote:
shmumush wrote:
What alarms me about dozo is the lack of people who've even heard of it. Obviously it is up-and-coming and somewhat of a novelty, but there are several attorneys in their mid-50s, who are pretty darn successful, that have never heard of cardozo. Obviously, they're in the minority but it raised a red flag in my mind nonetheless

This is a very good point. The truth is that I have not met many lawyers who have not heard of Cardozo but I have no doubt that it has less name recognition than St. John's and the other schools you have mentioned.

What does worry me, though, is the lack of alumni that Cardozo has. Especially in this economy, a large alumni base can boost a Tier 2 school's placement. I have heard of many St. John's students getting interviews and jobs through alumni connections. I don't think this can be overstated. Cardozo just isn't there in terms of its alumni base. In a few years, who knows.

Exactly. My dad, who a small business in the city, has tons of clients who are attorneys. With quite a few of them, he brings up the law school decision predicament that I'm in. Attorneys out of BU Law, NYU, several who have been in Super Lawyers (fwiw), and all of them have claimed with ease that I should be at St. John's. About 2/3 haven't heard of Cardozo, but again these people are in the 40s and 50s. By the time we're in our 40s and 50s, will Cardozo be a household name? How about in our late 20s and early 30s? I don't see it becoming that well known, not that soon. Just my .02 on why I've eliminated dozo from my decision.

Then poor choice my friend the school is sliding and I visited the school. SO MANY 3L's don't have a Job and told me to choose Dozo over SJU.... these are students who said this. Trust me I understand the tradition of SJU. I remember seeing Mark Jackson, Walter Berry, Bill Wenningtion, and my favorite Willie Glass. Tradition fades (see ND football recruiting) The slide of SJU law is something you can't ignore. CUNY is nipping at its heels now.

This point is highly personal, and so, I think inaccurate. Point is, if you finish top 10 at St. Johns vs top 30 at cardozo, you're probably in better shape at St. Johns. They're slipping in the rankings, but that doesn't necessarily indicate a slipping in reality. After all, they jumped about twenty points the year before they dropped about 20 points. What does that mean? Probably nothing.

shmumush

Postby shmumush » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:11 pm

This point is highly personal, and so, I think inaccurate. Point is, if you finish top 10 at St. Johns vs top 30 at cardozo, you're probably in better shape at St. Johns. They're slipping in the rankings, but that doesn't necessarily indicate a slipping in reality. After all, they jumped about twenty points the year before they dropped about 20 points. What does that mean? Probably nothing.

In Amare we trust.

binghamtonalum

Postby binghamtonalum » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:32 am

Just to clear up a couple things with the scholarship, I've read through it and I haven't gotten a straight answer to this question and maybe there's someone here who knows the answer before I ask admissions.

1.) Let's say, God forbid, that you fall out of the top 40% and decide to transfer or not re-enroll, are you on the hook for any of the money already paid out? Or pay any penalty for transferring?

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:42 am

binghamtonalum wrote:Just to clear up a couple things with the scholarship, I've read through it and I haven't gotten a straight answer to this question and maybe there's someone here who knows the answer before I ask admissions.

1.) Let's say, God forbid, that you fall out of the top 40% and decide to transfer or not re-enroll, are you on the hook for any of the money already paid out? Or pay any penalty for transferring?

i wondered about this too.

shmumush

Postby shmumush » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:12 am

binghamtonalum wrote:Just to clear up a couple things with the scholarship, I've read through it and I haven't gotten a straight answer to this question and maybe there's someone here who knows the answer before I ask admissions.

I do not believe you are on the hook for any past semesters. In other words, you will only lose scholarship money for the upcoming semesters, not the ones you have already taken. This is straight off the acceptance letter:

"Your scholarship is renewable for each subsequent year of matriculation, provided that you maintain a required cumulative academic rank."

The words "renewable" and "subsequent" lead me to believe that you wouldn't be on the hook for money already paid out. I could be wrong on this though... This is one of those questions that is tough to answer unless you have been through it.

binghamtonalum

Postby binghamtonalum » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:42 pm

Just sent in my seat deposit, will be there this Fall

shmumush

Postby shmumush » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:56 pm

binghamtonalum wrote:Just sent in my seat deposit, will be there this Fall

See ya there!

pookie

Postby pookie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:14 pm

Just sent in my deposit! Yay!! See you there! :D

binghamtonalum

Postby binghamtonalum » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:17 pm

shmumush wrote:

See ya there!

Are you not thinking about 'Dozo anymore?

shmumush

Postby shmumush » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:12 pm

binghamtonalum wrote:
shmumush wrote:

See ya there!

Not anymore. The deposit at Cardozo is due tomorrow and I still have not heard from them about the scholarship negotiation. I am going to stop worrying about whether they are gonna get back to me, and start planning for St. John's in the fall. At this point, the only way I would only go to Dozo is if they blow me away with an offer. Not gonna happen. Truth is, I am very excited about going to St. John's and have been leaning towards it the whole time.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:21 pm

You still have me waiting after I submitted my app 1/12 in review since 3/1. Are you gonna WL me for YP purposes? I want an answer because I will not withdraw! You sent me a waiver for chrissakes! :evil:

shmumush

Postby shmumush » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:31 pm

blacklawboss wrote:You still have me waiting after I submitted my app 1/12 in review since 3/1. Are you gonna WL me for YP purposes? I want an answer because I will not withdraw! You sent me a waiver for chrissakes! :evil:

YP purposes? What is "YP"?

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:38 pm

shmumush wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:You still have me waiting after I submitted my app 1/12 in review since 3/1. Are you gonna WL me for YP purposes? I want an answer because I will not withdraw! You sent me a waiver for chrissakes! :evil:

Yield Protection

shmumush

Postby shmumush » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:47 pm

blacklawboss wrote:
shmumush wrote:

Yield Protection

Ohh I see. Your saying if you get in, you will definitely attend. Question.. If you are overqualified for St. John's (As is usually the case when they use Yield Protection), why are you deciding to go there anyway? Not doubting your qualification btw, just wondering.

jdncu

Postby jdncu » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:08 pm

shmumush wrote:
binghamtonalum wrote:
shmumush wrote:

See ya there!

Not anymore. The deposit at Cardozo is due tomorrow and I still have not heard from them about the scholarship negotiation. I am going to stop worrying about whether they are gonna get back to me, and start planning for St. John's in the fall. At this point, the only way I would only go to Dozo is if they blow me away with an offer. Not gonna happen. Truth is, I am very excited about going to St. John's and have been leaning towards it the whole time.

If you don't mind me asking, other than the difference in scholarship between St. John's and Seton Hall, what made you pick SJU? The employment numbers at SJU scare me, while Seton Hall seemed to stay at a reasonable number even in the down economy. I was just accepted to SJU this week, so I have a little bit of time to decide.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:48 pm

shmumush wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:
shmumush wrote:

Yield Protection

Ohh I see. Your saying if you get in, you will definitely attend. Question.. If you are overqualified for St. John's (As is usually the case when they use Yield Protection), why are you deciding to go there anyway? Not doubting your qualification btw, just wondering.

No you misread I have 0 intention on intending. I'm not knocking sju I just want my application handled like everyone else's. Don't try to wait for me to withdraw or wait list me

FooJ

Postby FooJ » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:53 pm

Withdrew last week hopefully that frees up some space

champ33

Postby champ33 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:20 pm

Does anyone know if deferral is binding at St. John's? That is.. if I defer my acceptance until 2012 am I barred from applying to other schools next cycle?

shmumush

Postby shmumush » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:21 pm

No you misread I have 0 intention on intending. I'm not knocking sju I just want my application handled like everyone else's. Don't try to wait for me to withdraw or wait list me

Gotcha. Agreed.

shmumush

Postby shmumush » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:39 pm

Are you not thinking about 'Dozo anymore?[/quote]

Not anymore. The deposit at Cardozo is due tomorrow and I still have not heard from them about the scholarship negotiation. I am going to stop worrying about whether they are gonna get back to me, and start planning for St. John's in the fall. At this point, the only way I would only go to Dozo is if they blow me away with an offer. Not gonna happen. Truth is, I am very excited about going to St. John's and have been leaning towards it the whole time.[/quote]

If you don't mind me asking, other than the difference in scholarship between St. John's and Seton Hall, what made you pick SJU? The employment numbers at SJU scare me, while Seton Hall seemed to stay at a reasonable number even in the down economy. I was just accepted to SJU this week, so I have a little bit of time to decide.[/quote]

There are a few reasons for this:

1. I spoke to a few partners at firms in the city and they told me that if I am looking to work in Manhattan, SJU over Seton Hall is the way to go. I trust one of these attorneys immensely. He is my best friend's dad, and is a managing partner in a major law firm in the city. He said that if you are looking to work in New Jersey, Seton Hall is the better choice.

2. I like the Jamaica area alot more than the Newark area. I know both areas very well as I grew up in New Jersey but spent my college years in Queens. I plan on living in Forest Hills which is close to both SJU and Manhattan.

3. I know many current students in both Seton Hall and SJU. I am not saying this is the case with everyone, but my friends in Seton Hall don't seem to be having as positive an experience in law school as my friends in SJU. My friends in SJU really like it alot. They love the atmosphere (everyone is very nice) and the classes. You can obviously take this for whatever it is worth, but I put some value into that.

4. There are other reasons but they won't apply to anyone else.

I believe that between the two schools, there is very little separating them. Good luck in whatever you choose.

binghamtonalum

Postby binghamtonalum » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:59 am

hey guys, can't seem to find the letter. But for someone who has it in front of them, is there a second seat deposit? If so, when is it due and how much? I appreciate the time you take!

binghamtonalum

Postby binghamtonalum » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:19 pm

Located the papers and saw no mention of a 2nd deposit. Thanks

champ33

Postby champ33 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:46 pm

Their first deposit is big enough I think.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”