St. John's 2011 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sprewell
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby sprewell » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:04 pm

has anybody been able to successfully negotiate stipulations from their scholarship offer either away or down?

User avatar
hokie
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby hokie » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:41 pm

afc1910 wrote:Anyone going to the ASD tonight?


I did and I think overall it was pretty good (especially free dinner :mrgreen: ). For those that are curious, the format was school tour, "mock" class, then dinner reception. So here are my thoughts: I thought the facilities were on par with other schools in/near the city. The building wasn't entirely huge but it served it's purpose. The mock class was fairly entertaining and really gave you a sense of what an actual class would be like (employing a "soft use" of the Socratic method and all). However, I think that the time could have been more beneficial if they did a panel with students, alumni, and faculty (answer questions, talk about their time at the school, why they chose St. John's, what they're planning/are currently doing, etc.). Lastly, the dinner was great (you had a chance to converse with various faculty members as well as other prospective students) and the night was finished off with a few words from the Dean.

As this was my first ASD/ASW, I have nothing else to compare it too but I think it was a pleasant/beneficial experience. Although I don't think it is imperative to attend vs. an individualized tour planned convenient to your schedule, it does offer an opportunity to mingle and talk with various faculty and students. My interest wasn't extremely high in St. John's to begin with but I primarily attended because a) I live extremely close (drove there straight after work) and b) in this economy, I have to seriously consider all full scholly offers (or wherever debt is at a minimal).

Anyways, good luck everyone and if you can make it out to an ASD I would suggest making the trip (unless you have to brake your back to make it and/or spend mucho $$$ to get there)!

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby ilovesf » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 pm

I think I am withdrawing since I just got into my first choice school. Even though a full ride is really tempting, I would much rather stay in SF! Good luck to everyone else!

User avatar
hokie
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby hokie » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:59 pm

ilovesf wrote:I think I am withdrawing since I just got into my first choice school. Even though a full ride is really tempting, I would much rather stay in SF! Good luck to everyone else!


The full ride is definitely tempting but I will most likely be withdrawing as well. Congrats on (going on a limb here :wink: ) Hastings! Cali weather>>>>>>>>>>>NY weather

User avatar
lawfreak
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby lawfreak » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:44 pm

I sent a whole long email to the admissions committee like a week ago megotiating a scholarship. I didn't hear back from them yet. Is that a bad sign? Should I call them?

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby Lawst » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:41 pm

hokie wrote:
afc1910 wrote:Anyone going to the ASD tonight?


I did and I think overall it was pretty good (especially free dinner :mrgreen: ). For those that are curious, the format was school tour, "mock" class, then dinner reception. So here are my thoughts: I thought the facilities were on par with other schools in/near the city. The building wasn't entirely huge but it served it's purpose. The mock class was fairly entertaining and really gave you a sense of what an actual class would be like (employing a "soft use" of the Socratic method and all). However, I think that the time could have been more beneficial if they did a panel with students, alumni, and faculty (answer questions, talk about their time at the school, why they chose St. John's, what they're planning/are currently doing, etc.). Lastly, the dinner was great (you had a chance to converse with various faculty members as well as other prospective students) and the night was finished off with a few words from the Dean.

As this was my first ASD/ASW, I have nothing else to compare it too but I think it was a pleasant/beneficial experience. Although I don't think it is imperative to attend vs. an individualized tour planned convenient to your schedule, it does offer an opportunity to mingle and talk with various faculty and students. My interest wasn't extremely high in St. John's to begin with but I primarily attended because a) I live extremely close (drove there straight after work) and b) in this economy, I have to seriously consider all full scholly offers (or wherever debt is at a minimal).

Anyways, good luck everyone and if you can make it out to an ASD I would suggest making the trip (unless you have to brake your back to make it and/or spend mucho $$$ to get there)!

I went too. The officials and students were very nice, but I have to admit that I was not so impressed with the school, and its location is ridiculously remote. I would imagine that if you don't have a car, and I don't, it would be a real pain in the ass to get around.
I'm still waiting to hear from eight schools and SJU did offer me a good amount of scholarship money, so I'm not ready to pull the trigger on withdrawing just yet.

User avatar
lawfreak
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby lawfreak » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:19 am

Do you think a 25k a year scholarship to Hofstra can have any leverage in my negotiation with St. Johns?

How should I reason with them?

fakemoney
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:07 am

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby fakemoney » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:47 pm

In the Dean's recent interview, he mentioned that SJU takes into consideration other schools' offers. Hofstra seems to be a peer school by and large so it's definitely worth a shot. As I've never negotiated a scholarship, I'm not sure what the best way to go about it is. If I were doing it, I'd probably just state something along the lines of "I'm interested in attending your school, but school X offered me such and such. Cost of attendance is an important factor in my law school decision. To ensure that I have the most complete information available in making my law school decision, I am requesting that the scholarship/admissions/whatever committee give me a reply as concerns the possibility of reconsidering extending a scholarship award."

I'd word it a lot smarter than I did off the top of my head, and I encourage you to browse these forums further, as I know many people on here have reported success negotiating scholarships. I think there's a thread titled "Negotiating Scholarships Works!" or something to that effect.

User avatar
lawfreak
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby lawfreak » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:54 pm

fakemoney wrote:In the Dean's recent interview, he mentioned that SJU takes into consideration other schools' offers. Hofstra seems to be a peer school by and large so it's definitely worth a shot. As I've never negotiated a scholarship, I'm not sure what the best way to go about it is. If I were doing it, I'd probably just state something along the lines of "I'm interested in attending your school, but school X offered me such and such. Cost of attendance is an important factor in my law school decision. To ensure that I have the most complete information available in making my law school decision, I am requesting that the scholarship/admissions/whatever committee give me a reply as concerns the possibility of reconsidering extending a scholarship award."

I'd word it a lot smarter than I did off the top of my head, and I encourage you to browse these forums further, as I know many people on here have reported success negotiating scholarships. I think there's a thread titled "Negotiating Scholarships Works!" or something to that effect.


Thanks

RW65
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:58 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby RW65 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:05 pm

I know people that leveraged a Hofstra scholarship into money at St. John's. This was c/o 2012 though so I'm not sure if they have the same policy as they did then.

MirandaHobbs
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby MirandaHobbs » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:27 pm

RAB wrote:
jdncu wrote:Does anyone else who applied in mid-November still have complete as their status?

Even a change to in review would be nice. :?


I applied late dec. Went into review 1/21 and then as of last fri 2/11 I'm back to "your application is complete"

I applied beginning of january and i am still at application is complete 1/3/11

lindseyannh
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:51 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby lindseyannh » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:50 pm

Was denied yesterday. For some reason it gave me a decision on the status checker, where the little paragraph about taking 8-12 weeks was. Still says that a decision was mailed though. I am really disappointed. St.John's was one of my top choices.

MirandaHobbs
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby MirandaHobbs » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:37 pm

lindseyannh wrote:Was denied yesterday. For some reason it gave me a decision on the status checker, where the little paragraph about taking 8-12 weeks was. Still says that a decision was mailed though. I am really disappointed. St.John's was one of my top choices.

Still at application is complete 1/3/11 sorry u denied :(

RAB
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby RAB » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:18 am

Yeah I'm confused what's going on...first it said I was under review around 1/21 and had that message abt how many weeks, then on 2/11 it went back to say your application is complete, and then when I checked the other day it said my application is under review as of 2/11. Not sure when I'm going to hear, was hoping for soon.

I also thought they don't give decisions out via status checker.

jdncu
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:25 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby jdncu » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:57 pm

MirandaHobbs wrote:
lindseyannh wrote:Was denied yesterday. For some reason it gave me a decision on the status checker, where the little paragraph about taking 8-12 weeks was. Still says that a decision was mailed though. I am really disappointed. St.John's was one of my top choices.

Still at application is complete 1/3/11 sorry u denied :(


Try still at complete for over 3 months.

:(

lindseyannh
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:51 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby lindseyannh » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:20 pm

I thought they didnt give decisions via status checker, so I was extremely shocked to see a decision on there.

Dripworx
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby Dripworx » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Just applied last week after i got my second lsat score... 159, and a 2.95 gpa...

any speculations on my shot to get in, please shoot!!

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby northwood » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:43 pm

withdrew... have fun yall!

MirandaHobbs
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby MirandaHobbs » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:38 pm

Why does st johns take so long for an answer over 2 months now!!!! Last school to hear from ans of course my first choice

lsapplicant
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby lsapplicant » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:06 am

Just went into review today after being stuck in complete for 2 months

MirandaHobbs
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby MirandaHobbs » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:18 pm

lsapplicant wrote:Just went into review today after being stuck in complete for 2 months

thank you for letting me know that my status checker isnt stuck....lol and good luck!!!

bnc2010
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby bnc2010 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:57 pm

MirandaHobbs wrote:
lsapplicant wrote:Just went into review today after being stuck in complete for 2 months

thank you for letting me know that my status checker isnt stuck....lol and good luck!!!


Two months doesn't sound bad compared to my situation. I applied as soon as the applications went up and I've been complete since 11/08. Tried calling the school, but that wasn't very helpful. "We have a lot of applicants, blah blah blah."

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby Lawst » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:19 pm

Withdrawing just as soon as I figure out where to mail this thing. May my spot and 30K scholly go to a deserving TLSer.

User avatar
IHaveLawyers
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby IHaveLawyers » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:03 pm

Does anyone know what the numbers are looking for the part time admission? Any one else applied part time? Thanks!

rghneck016
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby rghneck016 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:00 pm

I received the St. Thomas More scholarship, which is a full ride with all the stipulations. I don't think I am even going to ask to remove the stipulations because, as someone said before, if I am out of the top 40% here I am pretty much screwed anyway.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bcapace, Google Adsense [Bot], Hildegard15, Veil of Ignorance and 21 guests