St. John's 2011 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RAB

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby RAB » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:38 pm

jdncu wrote:Does anyone else who applied in mid-November still have complete as their status?

Even a change to in review would be nice. :?

I applied late dec. Went into review 1/21 and then as of last fri 2/11 I'm back to "your application is complete"

Mr_Brightside

Postby Mr_Brightside » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:12 pm

Still at "Application Complete" 11/19. :evil: Called the office, no help whatsoever

eel7566

Postby eel7566 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:28 pm

I got my letter today...I'm in! I went complete 1/26 and went in review 2/1 I believe.

I'm extremely excited. This was a target school for me, and its NYC location is tremendously appealing.

Their scholarship offer of 30,000 a year was also a very nice touch. I don't know what I would do between this and Brooklyn @ sticker (I'm still in review there).

Good luck to those still waiting to hear. PM me for stats if interested.

RW65

Postby RW65 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:40 pm

eel7566 wrote:
Their scholarship offer of 30,000 a year was also a very nice touch. I don't know what I would do between this and Brooklyn @ sticker (I'm still in review there).

Pretty sure this is a no-brainer.

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:00 pm

eel7566 wrote:I got my letter today...I'm in! I went complete 1/26 and went in review 2/1 I believe.

I'm extremely excited. This was a target school for me, and its NYC location is tremendously appealing.

I think they're too close to think about paying an extra 100gs to go to Brooklyn. They're so similar.

eel7566

Postby eel7566 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:04 am

rocon7383 wrote:
eel7566 wrote:I got my letter today...I'm in! I went complete 1/26 and went in review 2/1 I believe.

I think they're too close to think about paying an extra 100gs to go to Brooklyn. They're so similar.

This is so interesting to me because, based on what I can tell from law school numbers, I'm looking at waitlist/accepted to Brooklyn (with no money), and St. john's pays me 30G's. Go figure. I think I would like the Brooklyn location more, but the vibe I'm getting is that my prospects would not be that much better at Brooklyn...not enough to account for the large difference in tuition.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:26 am

If you're in at STJ with 30/yr, you are going to be accepted to Brooklyn with similar $$ as well. Scholarship from Brooklyn comes late Feb. - early March.

eel7566

Postby eel7566 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:39 am

champ33 wrote:If you're in at STJ with 30/yr, you are going to be accepted to Brooklyn with similar $$ as well. Scholarship from Brooklyn comes late Feb. - early March.

Hey, that would be fantastic, but I don't think that is correct. Brooklyn's LSAT #'s are a few points higher--I'm very competitive at St. John's (above the median) but bringing up the rear at Brooklyn (at the 25%.)

Than again, I've never done this before.

Iceman389

Postby Iceman389 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:05 am

waitlisted today via status checker

Krodizzle

Postby Krodizzle » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:26 am

"A Decision has been made" 2/18 update.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:33 am

Krodizzle wrote:"A Decision has been made" 2/18 update.

Your avatar made that statement read really enthusiastically to me.

mikala6m

Postby mikala6m » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:42 am

Has anyone tried to negotiate a bigger scholarship from them? And if so, what did you say and how fast was the turnaround to hear back from them?

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:20 pm

mikala6m wrote:Has anyone tried to negotiate a bigger scholarship from them? And if so, what did you say and how fast was the turnaround to hear back from them?

I sent a whole long letter to the admissions committee a couple of days ago and haven't heard back from them yet. I hopet that's not a bad sign.

I also had a question regarding Brooklyn vs. Cardozo at sticker. Which one should I choose if I had that choice?

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:49 pm

+1...is there some indicator of whether or not this is good news? Like an email follow up for acceptances, nothing for rejections, etc?

LocalNative

Postby LocalNative » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:00 pm

lsatextreme wrote:

+1...is there some indicator of whether or not this is good news? Like an email follow up for acceptances, nothing for rejections, etc?

Acceptance came via snail mail with no e-mail notification. Scholarship was included. It says at the top of the status checker that they only give decisions via snail mail, so I don't think you can really read into anything until you actually get the packet (which is belying small for admittances).

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:04 pm

lsatextreme wrote:

Just a snail mail standard envelope bursting at the seams. I mean, really SJU, you couldnt spring for a large envelope?

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:05 pm

well i guess the only clear indicator is the size of the envelope then lol

champ33

Postby champ33 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:15 pm

eel7566 wrote:
champ33 wrote:If you're in at STJ with 30/yr, you are going to be accepted to Brooklyn with similar $$ as well. Scholarship from Brooklyn comes late Feb. - early March.

Hey, that would be fantastic, but I don't think that is correct. Brooklyn's LSAT #'s are a few points higher--I'm very competitive at St. John's (above the median) but bringing up the rear at Brooklyn (at the 25%.)

Than again, I've never done this before.

You may be right. The initial offer could be a little smaller, but you will get something if you have 30 at STJ. Also, T2 schools in the same region tend to match their pier's offers, as I found with BLS last year. I sent my scholarships to STJ and Rutgers to them and they bumped mine up a bit to match.

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:29 pm

The way the Red Storm are ballin', I might wind up enrolling here just to get the inside track on tickets :wink:

East Coast Law

Postby East Coast Law » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:04 pm

eel7566 wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:

This is so interesting to me because, based on what I can tell from law school numbers, I'm looking at waitlist/accepted to Brooklyn (with no money), and St. john's pays me 30G's. Go figure. I think I would like the Brooklyn location more, but the vibe I'm getting is that my prospects would not be that much better at Brooklyn...not enough to account for the large difference in tuition.

St. John's is in a MUCH better location - its less congested and the campus is aesthetically nicer; I will most likely be attending (accepted in Nov with a full scholarship)

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:16 pm

East Coast Law wrote:
eel7566 wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:

St. John's is in a MUCH better location - its less congested and the campus is aesthetically nicer; I will most likely be attending (accepted in Nov with a full scholarship)

While I agree you should follow the money and therefore a cheap St. John's is much better than an expensive Brooklyn, I hate St. John's location. Campus is nice, but the area boring and lackluster - in my opinion. I live in Queens too, but Brooklyn Law School provides a real urban environment with tons to see and do. That includes all the courts literally across the street. The area certainly is less congested as the above poster suggested, but to me it feels like a suburb of NY, and not the actual city itself.

In the end though, go to St. John's to save money. These are peer schools, so to do otherwise would be madness. :)

Edit: Congrats to all those accepted to St. John's, I am surprisingly still waiting to hear from them. They are taking their time with me. :cry:

eel7566

Postby eel7566 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:59 pm

While I agree you should follow the money and therefore a cheap St. John's is much better than an expensive Brooklyn, I hate St. John's location. Campus is nice, but the area boring and lackluster - in my opinion. I live in Queens too, but Brooklyn Law School provides a real urban environment with tons to see and do. That includes all the courts literally across the street. The area certainly is less congested as the above poster suggested, but to me it feels like a suburb of NY, and not the actual city itself.

In the end though, go to St. John's to save money. These are peer schools, so to do otherwise would be madness. :)

Edit: Congrats to all those accepted to St. John's, I am surprisingly still waiting to hear from them. They are taking their time with me. :cry:

Yeah, I don't know Queens at all, but I spent a few days last summer just blocks away from Brooklyn Law School's location, and I really liked the feel of the area, the proximity to Williamsburg and Manhattan, a near-by subway stop, etc...

If I get into Brooklyn, I feel like this will be a tough decision for me. I figure St. John's will be cheaper, and the quality of education may be eerily similar, but the urban environment that Justathought talks about is important to me.

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:47 pm

fakemoney wrote:The way the Red Storm are ballin', I might wind up enrolling here just to get the inside track on tickets :wink:

+1

Brittain

Postby Brittain » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:18 pm

eel7566 wrote:

Yeah, I don't know Queens at all, but I spent a few days last summer just blocks away from Brooklyn Law School's location, and I really liked the feel of the area, the proximity to Williamsburg and Manhattan, a near-by subway stop, etc...

If I get into Brooklyn, I feel like this will be a tough decision for me. I figure St. John's will be cheaper, and the quality of education may be eerily similar, but the urban environment that Justathought talks about is important to me.

Oh, you want an urban environment? Cross over the GCE and make your way to Jamaica ave, oh around 3am.

I kid of course. While most take the Q46 or the other line that heads down Utopia, there is actually an F train stop (169th) that is about 5-8m walk to the Campus. And with Jamaica Highschool no longer open, it's far more quiet. In addition, the front end of campus has several grocery stores, a 7-11 (lol), B&N, etc. A lot has changed in the area since SJU put in dorms and off-campus housing.

I no longer live in Queens but wanted to give you some other information.

afc1910

Postby afc1910 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:04 pm

Last edited by afc1910 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”