St. John's 2011 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CrimLaw300

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby CrimLaw300 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:57 am

Status checker changed yesterday to "Decision has been made." At the top it says that it has been sent via snail mail.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:20 am

CrimLaw300 wrote:Status checker changed yesterday to "Decision has been made." At the top it says that it has been sent via snail mail.

Do you know if your status checker changed to "Under Review" after you went complete?

CrimLaw300

Postby CrimLaw300 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:29 am

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
CrimLaw300 wrote:Status checker changed yesterday to "Decision has been made." At the top it says that it has been sent via snail mail.

Do you know if your status checker changed to "Under Review" after you went complete?

No idea. This morning was the first time I checked my status, and this is all it says:

Current Status: A decision has been made
Current Status Date: 12/9/2010
Decision Status: A decision has been made
Decision Status Date: 12/9/2010

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:35 am

CrimLaw300 wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:

No idea. This morning was the first time I checked my status, and this is all it says:

Nice first check! Congrats!

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:36 am

+1

i do know they rendered a decision before 12/9. the date changed when they actually mailed the letter.

i don't know if i was "under review" before a decision.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:37 am

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:

Mine says "Your application is in review ", so there is a step between being complete and making a decision.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:56 am

ilovesf wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:

Mine says "Your application is in review ", so there is a step between being complete and making a decision.

Thanks for letting us know!

tartugas

Postby tartugas » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:48 pm

Letters have been sent out.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:31 pm

Mine said a decision rendered yesterday, and a letter sent out today. Hoping for the best!

nycdc2011

Postby nycdc2011 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:36 pm

Can I ask when those who have had letters sent went UR?

Woods, Elle

Postby Woods, Elle » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:44 pm

Sure.

I sent my applications 11/12 (Friday), got a letter 11/23 that they received it/it was being processed.
Went UR by 12/1 or so, and as of 12/9 got the message that a decision has been made.
I just checked now and it says that the decision letter was sent 12/10. Sadly nothing has come yet, but hopefully tomorrow I'll get it! If I don't get it by Thursday morning, I'm going to call/email since they said to wait a week and contact them if you haven't heard anything.

nycdc2011

Postby nycdc2011 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:28 pm

Great, thank you.

Are you seriously considering St. John's? I've heard both good and bad, not sure what to think.

Woods, Elle

Postby Woods, Elle » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:39 pm

I think so, but I'm not really sure yet.

Basically, I really want to be in NYC. I'm from Long Island and go to school in PA, and am ready to be in the city/love it. So I applied to basically everywhere in the area, without doing that much research.

My plan is that once I get into a few places, I'll visit/do research. As far as my rankings just based off of LSAT/GPA, for the NY schools it's #4 for me (Fordham, Cardozo, Brooklyn, St. John's.)

Cardozo is my #1 choice, but I'll be really happy and will definitely go if I get into Brooklyn.

If I don't get into BKLYN, it gets a little more complicated... just because now I'm in at American, Hofstra and possibly St. John's... with American being the best one. But location is really important to me, as well.

So I'm really just waiting to hear from some more. It very well may come down to American and St. John's, if I don't get into the others. I haven't really heard much about it, but from talking to my Dean I think it's still a good school. It's Tier I... I'm sure if you do well, have a little bit of luck and make good connections then you'll be fine in the job market.

Sorry for the long winded answer! What about you, where is St. John's ranked?

nycdc2011

Postby nycdc2011 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:48 pm

lol well we are applying to nearly all the same schools then. In terms of ranking the schools, my rank is exactly the same as yours. I have visited American, Cardozo, Fordham, and Brooklyn and could see myself at any of them, with Cardozo being preferred.

St. John's does have some appeal though as it could be a good opportunity for scholarships. Have you visited any of the schools?

Woods, Elle

Postby Woods, Elle » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:53 pm

Haha that's funny! Can I ask you what your numbers are?/ Have you heard from any of the others?

I only visited Cardozo, and loved it. I worked in the DA's office in Brooklyn after soph. year, and a lot of the law students I was with were at BLS and really liked it a lot. I agree about scholarship $ from St. John's, although I've heard Brooklyn (and Cardozo) are really good about that, too. My friend was saying one of her friends gets a $10,000 stipend to go to Brooklyn. In an ideal world, if it came down between Brooklyn and Cardozo and BLS gave me $ ... I don't know what I'd do. Haha. But that would be a nice problem to have ;)

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:12 pm

why do you guys favor cardozo over fordham?

Woods, Elle

Postby Woods, Elle » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:26 pm

For me, I can just see myself there. Granted it's the only one I visited, but everything sits well with me. It was like this for college, too, and I ended up at my #1/early decision school.

1) Love the location
2) Worked with someone who went there and really liked it
3) The school itself
4) The programs, courses, etc. - it definitely has what I am looking to go into (same with Brooklyn)
5) The atmosphere - everyone seemed really nice and still kind of laid back - not too pretentious
6) This is just a personal thing, but as someone who is Jewish I really like that it's a part of Yeshiva U. and they have the Holocaust survivor program
7) The dean of my school who works with pre-law students said that it seemed like a really good match for me - based upon past students, she said they're a lot like me and she hopes Cardozo can see that :)

It's nothing against Fordham - like I said I'd need to do more research once I hear from everywhere else. If I got into Fordham, I would go there for its prestige and I've heard wonderful things about it, as well. I would definitely want to visit it. I'm just trying to be realistic, and don't think I'm going to get in. It's definitely a reach. I will be ecstatic if admitted, but OK with it if I'm not.

But Cardozo is def. my #1 choice. I think location/my experience with BLS students and my internship is what puts Brooklyn as #2.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:19 pm

Woods, Elle wrote:I think so, but I'm not really sure yet.

Basically, I really want to be in NYC. I'm from Long Island and go to school in PA, and am ready to be in the city/love it. So I applied to basically everywhere in the area, without doing that much research.

My plan is that once I get into a few places, I'll visit/do research. As far as my rankings just based off of LSAT/GPA, for the NY schools it's #4 for me (Fordham, Cardozo, Brooklyn, St. John's.)

Cardozo is my #1 choice, but I'll be really happy and will definitely go if I get into Brooklyn.

If I don't get into BKLYN, it gets a little more complicated... just because now I'm in at American, Hofstra and possibly St. John's... with American being the best one. But location is really important to me, as well.

So I'm really just waiting to hear from some more. It very well may come down to American and St. John's, if I don't get into the others. I haven't really heard much about it, but from talking to my Dean I think it's still a good school. It's Tier I... I'm sure if you do well, have a little bit of luck and make good connections then you'll be fine in the job market.

Sorry for the long winded answer! What about you, where is St. John's ranked?

With your numbers, you'll definitely get into Brooklyn. I also applied to those 4 NYC schools. St Johns is last on my list of NYC based schools. I also applied to schools in CA though, which I would prefer to St Johns, Cardozo and Brooklyn - not sure if I would prefer them to Fordham... though I don't think I'll get into Fordham anyway.

Woods, Elle

Postby Woods, Elle » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:19 pm

I hope I will! I just don't want to get too ahead of myself.

That's really cool that you're considering schools in CA, though. If it weren't for the distance (5 hr flight) I'd definitely consider schools on the west coast.

Woods, Elle

Postby Woods, Elle » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:55 pm

Has anyone gotten the letter yet? I'm going to call/email tomorrow if I haven't heard back, since it will have been a week. I'm leaving for the semester on Friday, so I really want to know before I leave for break. If they were sent out even on Monday at the latest, it should still be here by tomorrow I would think...

derrminater

Postby derrminater » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:05 pm

got in yesterday, full ride

Woods, Elle

Postby Woods, Elle » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:18 pm

Wow that's really nice, congrats! Do you think you'll accept it/where else are you looking? Did you get the letter in the mail yesterday? And did they include the scholarship in the letter? I hope I'll FINALLY get it tomorrow, haha. If not, I'll email them since it's been a week.

derrminater

Postby derrminater » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:32 pm

yea i got the letter yesterday with the scholarship info enclosed. sounds pretty cool but i'm not sure if ill accept yet, i want to see what other schools are willing to throw at me first, play the field. I've seen some pretty negative stuff on TLS about SJU but I can't seem to figure why. I mean, especially if it's a free ride, it'll be hard to pass up.

Woods, Elle

Postby Woods, Elle » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:39 pm

Very nice! I agree about waiting from other schools, it's still really early in the cycle, and you have time to get back to them.
And a full ride is definitely something to consider. I'm sure other schools will offer you money though in that case, and you can weigh them against each other.

I'm not too sure about the negative things I've heard about SJU, either. I haven't researched it too much, but I was under the impression that it's a good school.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:03 am

Edit: found the status checker, never mind.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”