St. John's 2011 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mckeeper1

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Postby mckeeper1 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:23 pm

lawschool12345 wrote:still complete since 11/16

Mine is complete as of 11/18. The top says 8-12 weeks so I am not holding my breath. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks we get something.

lawschool12345

Postby lawschool12345 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:37 pm

firstly, barcelona over manchester anyday! and secondly having it not be in review kinda scares me

mckeeper1

Postby mckeeper1 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:51 pm

Ha, I enjoy watching Barcelona play. Messi plus that midfield is unbelievable. But come Champions league, Man U prevails this year!

Yea, I am worried that the checker has not changed to UR. For Loyola, my checker went from file complete to decision made. So maybe that could happen here...otherwise it better go UR soon.

lawschool12345

Postby lawschool12345 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:38 pm

agreed i mean they might just be lazy with the checker, and david villa is a soccer god!

LB88

Postby LB88 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:58 pm

bball700 wrote:in w/ a 15,000 scholarship. 2.9 GPA 162 LSATS.

Are you a URM? I have literally the exact same stats and mine changed to a decision has been made as of 01/06. I'm freakin out! Did they call you about the scholarship??

lawschool12345

Postby lawschool12345 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:37 pm

LB88 when did you go under review, i might just be lazy and dont want to re read all the posts to see if you wrote it lol

LB88

Postby LB88 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:34 pm

lawschool12345 wrote:LB88 when did you go under review, i might just be lazy and dont want to re read all the posts to see if you wrote it lol

I believe it was under review as of just a week ago, maybe the 2nd of Jan? So it changed to "a decision was made" in a pretty short amount of time...is that usually good or bad?

LB88

Postby LB88 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:36 pm

lawschool12345 wrote:LB88 when did you go under review, i might just be lazy and dont want to re read all the posts to see if you wrote it lol

Also last year I was waitlisted with a lower LSAT score, and before I received my waitlist letter the school called me to verify my permanent address, which they haven't done yet, so I'm hoping its not a waitlist decision.

LB88

Postby LB88 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:21 pm

In with an $18,500 per year scholarship! I'd say it's worth it over Brooklyn and Cardozo, if I get in there right? What about Fordham...anyone have any thoughts?

Woods, Elle

Postby Woods, Elle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:39 pm

Congrats!

It's up to each person. I got into Cardozo and WLed at Fordham, but Cardozo has always been my #1 choice. My parents are urging me to consider SJU since I got a full scholarship, but I think they're ok with me going to C since I'm getting some money there, and can see if they would offer more. Personally, I think Cardozo is better...it's ranked about 45 spots higher and has better overall job opps. For me, their program is more lucrative, as is the area. But if they're all equal to you, I'd go with the place that gave me the most money. Fordham is definitely the best school of the bunch, though. Basically for schools in NYC, it's Columba-NYU-Fordham-Cardozo-Brooklyn-St. John's - NYL/CUNY and the others like Pace/Hofstra are all together in a lower tier.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:07 pm

LB88 wrote:In with an $18,500 per year scholarship! I'd say it's worth it over Brooklyn and Cardozo, if I get in there right? What about Fordham...anyone have any thoughts?

If you get Fordham I would go there, especially if you get $$$. Better school with better job prospects coming out. At least thats what NYC students have all told me.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:10 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
LB88 wrote:In with an $18,500 per year scholarship! I'd say it's worth it over Brooklyn and Cardozo, if I get in there right? What about Fordham...anyone have any thoughts?

If you get Fordham I would go there, especially if you get $$$. Better school with better job prospects coming out. At least thats what NYC students have all told me.

I'm in STJ with full scholarship, and was rejected outright from Fordham PT.. not saying you aren't in at Fordham for sure, but certainly doesn't seem like it.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:27 am

champ33 wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

I'm in STJ with full scholarship, and was rejected outright from Fordham PT.. not saying you aren't in at Fordham for sure, but certainly doesn't seem like it.

+1. 3.0/162 Non-URM will have a very hard time.

LB88

Postby LB88 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:46 am

I hear you guys....I doubt I will get into Fordham, it was a very high reach for me but figured it was worth a shot. If I do get into Brooklyn and Cardozo with no money, is it still worth it to go to St John's for the scholarship? I've read between the three schools it doesn't make a huge difference job-wise, so wouldn't it be smarter to graduate with less debt?

bex

Postby bex » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:08 am

Woods, Elle wrote:Congrats!

It's up to each person. I got into Cardozo and WLed at Fordham, but Cardozo has always been my #1 choice. My parents are urging me to consider SJU since I got a full scholarship, but I think they're ok with me going to C since I'm getting some money there, and can see if they would offer more. Personally, I think Cardozo is better...it's ranked about 45 spots higher and has better overall job opps. For me, their program is more lucrative, as is the area. But if they're all equal to you, I'd go with the place that gave me the most money. Fordham is definitely the best school of the bunch, though. Basically for schools in NYC, it's Columba-NYU-Fordham-Cardozo-Brooklyn-St. John's - NYL/CUNY and the others like Pace/Hofstra are all together in a lower tier.

I don't know where you got this info, but it is wayyyyy off. On the latest US News Rankings, Cardozo is ranked #52, Brooklyn is ranked #67, and SJU is ranked #72. If you have a full scholarship at SJU and little money from Cardozo, you'd be pretty foolish to pick Cardozo. The job prospects are probably not that much better, and it would be a huge deal to come out of school with no debt. It's just not worth it to pass the $$ up for a school that is marginally better.

Also, SJU jumped about 15 spots in the latest rankings, which is pretty huge. I think Cardozo and Brooklyn actually might have dropped a few spots. Just a few years ago Cardozo was in the top 50. This might have been because SJU now has the 4th highest bar passage rate in the state, behind only NYU, Columbia, and (I think) Cornell.

It might be worth it to pass the money up for Fordham, if you get in off the WL, but not Cardozo.

RW65

Postby RW65 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:03 pm

bex wrote:
Woods, Elle wrote:Congrats!

I don't know where you got this info, but it is wayyyyy off. On the latest US News Rankings, Cardozo is ranked #52, Brooklyn is ranked #67, and SJU is ranked #72. If you have a full scholarship at SJU and little money from Cardozo, you'd be pretty foolish to pick Cardozo. The job prospects are probably not that much better, and it would be a huge deal to come out of school with no debt. It's just not worth it to pass the $$ up for a school that is marginally better.

Also, SJU jumped about 15 spots in the latest rankings, which is pretty huge. I think Cardozo and Brooklyn actually might have dropped a few spots. Just a few years ago Cardozo was in the top 50. This might have been because SJU now has the 4th highest bar passage rate in the state, behind only NYU, Columbia, and (I think) Cornell.

It might be worth it to pass the money up for Fordham, if you get in off the WL, but not Cardozo.

I would definitely agree with this. Passing up a full ride at SJU to go to Cardozo is insane. You have the exact same job prospects, but more debt. Additionally, you have less of an opportunity to reduce your debt for living expenses if you go to Cardozo. Living expense in Manhattan are drastically higher than they are in eastern Queens or Long Island.

Passing up a full ride at SJU to go to Fordham might make sense for a lot of people, depending on your specific career goals.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:11 pm

WOW I just got my acceptance letter. In with full conditional scholarship. I expected a little something but definitely not that much.

This is going to make my law school decision very interesting.

Woods, Elle

Postby Woods, Elle » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:57 pm

I guess I didn't see the updated stats, sorry. I have other reasons for preferring Cardozo. It depends where you start - if they're equal for you or not. Cardozo was always my #1, SJU was #4/5. But if they're equal and you like the program at SJU, then by all means, you should go there.

RW65

Postby RW65 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:21 pm

Woods, Elle wrote:I guess I didn't see the updated stats, sorry. I have other reasons for preferring Cardozo. It depends where you start - if they're equal for you or not. Cardozo was always my #1, SJU was #4/5. But if they're equal and you like the program at SJU, then by all means, you should go there.

Interested to hear your reasons for the bolded

Woods, Elle

Postby Woods, Elle » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:50 am

Just wondering why it really matters... but programs, location, atmosphere, personal reports, visits, Jewish holidays & Holocaust restitution clinic, felt like I fit in well there ,etc. It's just where I wanted to be from the beginning... and I got in, so I want to go there. I'll call in a few weeks and see if they're able to increase my scholarship, but basically SJU was always an option if I didn't get in anywhere in the city after Fordham, Cardozo and BLS. But because I got into American I was still unsure of if I'd want to go to SJU over AU until I heard from Cardozo, anyway.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:57 am

Just wondering why it really matters...

So he can tell you why your reasons are wrong.

I happen with him in this case (I would probably go to St. Johns on a full scholarship over Cardozo with a pretty small one), but if your heart is set on Cardozo, go there.

VictoryFord

Postby VictoryFord » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:46 pm

RW65 wrote:
Passing up a full ride at SJU to go to Fordham might make sense for a lot of people, depending on your specific career goals.

I did this, and it may work out ok. I'm not sure that it is a good idea to pass up a full-ride at any of these schools for fordham, for the majority of people though.

Amongst stj/dozo/bls I would go to the one with the best scholly offer. Of course, 0Ls will continue to go to the higher ranking in return for a possible marginal increase in job prospects and the 0Ls perceived increase in prestige. if jobs and debt (financial outcome) aren't the most important factors in your decision, don't take this advice. If you won't be happy/able to perform because you passed up on a school you loved, for whatever reason, then making the sound financial decision is less important.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:11 pm

VictoryFord wrote:
RW65 wrote:

I did this, and it may work out ok. I'm not sure that it is a good idea to pass up a full-ride at any of these schools for fordham, for the majority of people though.

Amongst stj/dozo/bls I would go to the one with the best scholly offer. Of course, 0Ls will continue to go to the higher ranking in return for a possible marginal increase in job prospects and the 0Ls perceived increase in prestige. if jobs and debt (financial outcome) aren't the most important factors in your decision, don't take this advice. If you won't be happy/able to perform because you passed up on a school you loved, for whatever reason, then making the sound financial decision is less important.

This sounds like great advice. Money is a factor, and probably the biggest factor, in my school decision. I have to go where they offer me the most portion of tuition because I am already drowned in UG debt. For the schools I am likely to get into, SJU seems as if they are going to give me the most money and a decent legal education. I would be crazy to pass that up.

That said, if you have the means to finance your education elsewhere and $$$ is not the issue, then go to the best school you can (or at least the school you will be happiest with). If I had a ton of disposable income, I would go to Fordham over SJU in a heartbeat.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:11 pm

Of course, 0Ls will continue to go to the higher ranking in return for a possible marginal increase in job prospects and the 0Ls perceived increase in prestige. if jobs and debt (financial outcome) aren't the most important factors in your decision, don't take this advice.

are you suggesting that fordham doesn't actually have better job prospects than cardozo/bls/st. johns? in my opinion, prestige generally correlates with job prospects.

i ask because i'm a 0L and through research and talking to lawyers/law students, i've found this to be common knowledge.

edit: or is the above quote just referencing cardozo/bls/st. johns?

VictoryFord

Postby VictoryFord » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:39 pm

Stringer6 wrote:
Of course, 0Ls will continue to go to the higher ranking in return for a possible marginal increase in job prospects and the 0Ls perceived increase in prestige. if jobs and debt (financial outcome) aren't the most important factors in your decision, don't take this advice.

are you suggesting that fordham doesn't actually have better job prospects than cardozo/bls/st. johns? in my opinion, prestige generally correlates with job prospects.

i ask because i'm a 0L and through research and talking to lawyers/law students, i've found this to be common knowledge.

edit: or is the above quote just referencing cardozo/bls/st. johns?

I was referencing those three schools. prestige can correlate with job prospects, if you talk to actual lawyers. but in large part the "prestige" that is solely derived from usnwr ranking is only loosely correlated to jobs prospects (look at the factors used in the rankings). The only "job" outcome factors used in usnwr are gamed and even if they aren't, they're not truly reflective of job outcomes.

additionally, i wasn't even saying that there aren't differences in job prospects amongst those three schools. Like many things you must attempt to weigh multiple factors. is the debt worth it? it depends on a lot of factors, and often clouded by the thought that one will finish near the top of the class. worst comes to worst there is still IBR, you probably won't be homeless or even poverty-stricken.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”