St. John's 2011 Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LaProfe14

New

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Post by LaProfe14 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:25 pm

pookie wrote:I emailed St. John's last week re: my status because the status line on my status had disappeared from the page. They apologized and said a decision has been made, and that all decisions will be posted later today! Hopefully some of us who are still waiting will get some decisions today.
some good news, since when have you been complete? I've been since 1/26 so that's 7.5 weeks! hoping to hear soon!

Aetos

New

Post by Aetos » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:10 pm

lawfreak wrote:Do you think a 25k a year scholarship to Hofstra can have any leverage in my negotiation with St. Johns?

How should I reason with them?
Sorry for the late response, but I managed to increase my St John's scholarship from 20k to 30k by writing my admission counselor an email. I just stated how good their school is and why I want to attend it, but I also wrote about the fear of debt upon graduation and how Hofstra offered me a higher scholarship(I didn't specify the amount).

Hofstra offered me a 30k scholarship.

stats: 3.35, 161, non URM.

I'm going to most likely attend St. Johns.

jdncu

New

Post by jdncu » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:34 pm

LaProfe14 wrote:
pookie wrote:I emailed St. John's last week re: my status because the status line on my status had disappeared from the page. They apologized and said a decision has been made, and that all decisions will be posted later today! Hopefully some of us who are still waiting will get some decisions today.
some good news, since when have you been complete? I've been since 1/26 so that's 7.5 weeks! hoping to hear soon!
Well I've been complete for 4 months and just went to in review last week. I don't get what their strategy is to admit and ultimately enroll students. This certainly seems foolish.

binghamtonalum

New

Post by binghamtonalum » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:05 pm

Anyone successfully negotiate stipulations at St. John's?

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:22 pm

Just in via email with $20,000/year part-time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:29 pm

In as well, full time. 10k per year. That took forever considering I'm a Queens native!

pookie

New

Post by pookie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:46 pm

In today w/ 30,000 FT :D Yay!

LaProfe14

New

Post by LaProfe14 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:55 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:Just in via email with $20,000/year part-time.

Congrats on everyone's acceptances today, When did all you guys go complete?

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:59 pm

LaProfe14 wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:Just in via email with $20,000/year part-time.

Congrats on everyone's acceptances today, When did all you guys go complete?
1/13.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pookie

New

Post by pookie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:02 pm

2/23

shmumush

New

Post by shmumush » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:30 am

binghamtonalum wrote:Anyone successfully negotiate stipulations at St. John's?
I would also like to know this...

burnerclassic

New

Post by burnerclassic » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:07 am

I'm curious to know, for those who have been accepted and are attending this fall, where are you planning on living?

I'd be coming from Florida, and while I lived in NYC and LIC for several years, am unfamiliar with being that deep in Queens.

Does anyone have any suggestions for locations that would provide a decent commute by both car and public transportation? LIC seems a bit too far from the school. I was suggested Forest Hills as one possibility...

Thanks for any insight.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:25 am

I live in Bayside right now, and I consider it a very nice section of Queens. Its definitely more upscale; there are apartment buildings, multi-family homes, and single family homes which are more akin to suburban living. Bell Boulevard has a fair amount of shops, including a very decent shopping center with restaurants and a multiplex. As the name alludes to, the town is situated on the water, there is a marina and a running path which runs along Douglaston Bay. Neighboring communities are also very nice, and offer a lot to do. Also, there is an express bus into the city, and a Long Island Railroad station centrally located - that will take you into NYC as well.

The commute time to St. John's should be 10 minutes with no traffic, 20 minutes with moderate to heavy traffic. You should drive though, because public transportation will make the trip much longer.

The neighborhood is pricey, but not as bad as Manhattan. I'm sure you could get a decent share of a 2br for $800. The option to spend more is always there too, since some places can easily top $2500 a month.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shmumush

New

Post by shmumush » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:38 am

burnerclassic wrote:I'm curious to know, for those who have been accepted and are attending this fall, where are you planning on living?

I'd be coming from Florida, and while I lived in NYC and LIC for several years, am unfamiliar with being that deep in Queens.

Does anyone have any suggestions for locations that would provide a decent commute by both car and public transportation? LIC seems a bit too far from the school. I was suggested Forest Hills as one possibility...

Thanks for any insight.
I plan on living in the Forest Hills area... The advantage of Forest Hills is that you are about a 10 minute drive to SJU and about a 5-10 walk (depending where you are in Forest Hills) from the subway into Manhattan without paying the Manhattan price. Queens Blvd. has everything you could ever want/need and is priced fairly reasonably. About $800-900 a month with a roommate. (2 Bedroom) I also recommend driving in to school every day as the bus times can sometimes be very unreliable. Good luck!

lawskool

New

Post by lawskool » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:32 pm

shmumush wrote:
burnerclassic wrote:I'm curious to know, for those who have been accepted and are attending this fall, where are you planning on living?

Thanks for any insight.
I plan on living in the Forest Hills area... The advantage of Forest Hills is that you are about a 10 minute drive to SJU and about a 5-10 walk (depending where you are in Forest Hills) from the subway into Manhattan without paying the Manhattan price. Queens Blvd. has everything you could ever want/need and is priced fairly reasonably. About $800-900 a month with a roommate. (2 Bedroom) I also recommend driving in to school every day as the bus times can sometimes be very unreliable. Good luck!
I agree, Forest Hills is nice. Austin St. and the Forest Hills section of Queens Blvd. have everything you need, and the area feels a lot more like NYC than other surrounding neighborhoods.

You may also want to check out the upper Ditmars area just north of Astoria, which is right off the Grand Central and can have you at St. John's in 10 minutes by car. Kew Gardens, Fresh Meadows, and Briarwood would also be decent options.

burnerclassic

New

Post by burnerclassic » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:41 pm

Thank you for the info. I will definitely look into all the locations mentioned.

eel7566

New

Post by eel7566 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:20 pm

Any living suggestions for people who will not be bringing their cars? I'm also coming from FL, btw.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

_confunded_

New

Post by _confunded_ » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:35 pm

shmumush wrote:
binghamtonalum wrote:Anyone successfully negotiate stipulations at St. John's?
I would also like to know this...
St. John's originally gave me $30,000/year with the top 40% stipulation, and I sent them a negotiation e-mail and got them to up my award to $40,000/year with the same stipulation. So it looks like they'd rather hand out more money than drop the stipulations, unfortunately.

lawskool

New

Post by lawskool » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:42 pm

eel7566 wrote:Any living suggestions for people who will not be bringing their cars? I'm also coming from FL, btw.

If you can't find housing within walking distance of the school, I would suggest Kew Gardens, Fresh Meadows, and Forest Hills. Both neighborhoods can get you there with 1 or 2 buses. If you took two buses, you're probably looking at 20-30 minutes door to door on a normal day. A lot of people have much longer commutes from much further away.

I also believe the admissions office publishes a housing newsletter with local listings. You might want to give them a call and see what they have listed.

babyoll7304

New

Post by babyoll7304 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:54 am

pookie wrote:In today w/ 30,000 FT :D Yay!
Are you guys hearing via email, application status or snail mail?

binghamtonalum

New

Post by binghamtonalum » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:12 am

unsuccessful at negotiating the stips from a full scholarship for those wondering. will be at asd tomorrow which will play a big part in my decision.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shmumush

New

Post by shmumush » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:23 am

binghamtonalum wrote:unsuccessful at negotiating the stips from a full scholarship for those wondering. will be at asd tomorrow which will play a big part in my decision.
Good to know... I am gonna still give it a try, considering my scholarship is contingent upon being in the top 40% of the class. Gonna try to get it to top 50%. As for the ASD, I went about 3 weeks ago. Was a good time. Everyone is very warm and friendly. I know every school is like that, but SJU has a very "family" feel. Good luck in whatever decision you make.

binghamtonalum

New

Post by binghamtonalum » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:28 am

Who willl you be e-mailing to negotiate? I spoke with Ms. Flanagan, the assistant director of admissions, and she responded, "I apologize, but, unfortunately, I cannot do a thing about the scholarship retention stipulations.". So, I'm guessing we need to speak to the head honcho. Hope this helps, I guess I'll be trying again with McNerny

shmumush

New

Post by shmumush » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:31 am

binghamtonalum wrote:Who willl you be e-mailing to negotiate? I spoke with Ms. Flanagan, the assistant director of admissions, and she responded, "I apologize, but, unfortunately, I cannot do a thing about the scholarship retention stipulations.". So, I'm guessing we need to speak to the head honcho. Hope this helps, I guess I'll be trying again with McNerny
I am going to Dorothy Moran. I have had very pleasant experiences talking with her... If she can't do anything, I will ask her to escalate it to Dean Harrison. I figure it's worth a try!

shmumush

New

Post by shmumush » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:03 pm

Update:

No can do on the stipulations relaxation. They said there was nothing they can do. I think it's a safe bet to assume it's not gonna happen. Oh well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”