St. John's 2011 Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LaProfe14

New

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Post by LaProfe14 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:06 pm

slightly more than 8 weeks complete now, hope to hear something next week!

shmumush

New

Post by shmumush » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:54 am

LaProfe14 wrote:slightly more than 8 weeks complete now, hope to hear something next week!

I know that the deadline for admitted students to send in their seat deposit is April 1st. After that, alot of decisions should be sent out. Good luck!

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:30 pm

Did anyone attend the ASD yesterday? I was there and afterward felt very good about the school - with a full scholarship I am probably attending this fall. I really liked the Dean's speech about the rankings and students, faculty and alumni. Anyone else?

burnerclassic

New

Post by burnerclassic » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:08 pm

champ33 wrote:Did anyone attend the ASD yesterday? I was there and afterward felt very good about the school - with a full scholarship I am probably attending this fall. I really liked the Dean's speech about the rankings and students, faculty and alumni. Anyone else?
Out of curiosity, what did the Dean say about the rankings? Did he mention the drop?

Thanks for any info...I wasn't able to make it.

binghamtonalum

New

Post by binghamtonalum » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:22 pm

was also at the ASD yesterday and have to admit that I was impressed. To answer the previous post, the Dean spoke that making the decision based on the rankings would be foolish. That St. John's continues to improve in LSAT and GPA medians and remain a force in NY. He reminded us that rankings continue to change and that St. John's reputation of over 80 years, along with the support of thousands of alumni, make its drop trivial.

As for the rest of the ASD, I found the mock lecture entertaining, the professor brilliant, and in general, the students to be real sharp, intelligent, and articulate.

The Dean was especially, as mentioned, persuasive and the ASD definitely made up my mind. I'm finally set on attending St. John's and will be working hard to keep my full scholarship.

***One note that wasn't talked about in the ASD but that was addressed by our tour guide was that the GYM, with 2 floors of free weights, basktetball courts, ellipticals, etc is included in tuition. Would be great for in-between classes.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions, see you fellow Johnnies in the fall!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

binghamtonalum

New

Post by binghamtonalum » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:00 am

another note, they don't negotiate stips for anyone.

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:49 am

binghamtonalum wrote:was also at the ASD yesterday and have to admit that I was impressed. To answer the previous post, the Dean spoke that making the decision based on the rankings would be foolish. That St. John's continues to improve in LSAT and GPA medians and remain a force in NY. He reminded us that rankings continue to change and that St. John's reputation of over 80 years, along with the support of thousands of alumni, make its drop trivial.

As for the rest of the ASD, I found the mock lecture entertaining, the professor brilliant, and in general, the students to be real sharp, intelligent, and articulate.

The Dean was especially, as mentioned, persuasive and the ASD definitely made up my mind. I'm finally set on attending St. John's and will be working hard to keep my full scholarship.

***One note that wasn't talked about in the ASD but that was addressed by our tour guide was that the GYM, with 2 floors of free weights, basktetball courts, ellipticals, etc is included in tuition. Would be great for in-between classes.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions, see you fellow Johnnies in the fall!
Last edited by fakemoney on Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

binghamtonalum

New

Post by binghamtonalum » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:07 am

fakemoney wrote:
binghamtonalum wrote:was also at the ASD yesterday and have to admit that I was impressed. To answer the previous post, the Dean spoke that making the decision based on the rankings would be foolish. That St. John's continues to improve in LSAT and GPA medians and remain a force in NY. He reminded us that rankings continue to change and that St. John's reputation of over 80 years, along with the support of thousands of alumni, make its drop trivial.

Damn, kinda wish I had gone. I was a bit sick and didn't think a journey to Queens was what the doctor ordered. Did you hear anything that made you feel better about the school's placement or job prospects?

There was a portion where the Career Services Dean spoke about job placement and I have to admit, it did quell some of the fears that I had about job placement. If you work hard, join the clinics, you'll find a job no problem. It definitely seemed as if she, and her staff, were continually trying to expand OCI's and I found her to be believable.

*****Also an important note about section-stacking*****
Heard back from the Director of Admissions and was re-assured, section-stacking does not take place whatsoever at St. John's. Take it with a grain of salt if you wish, but I'd be more than happy to share more information that I received to assure that this, again, does not occur at St. John's.

This about seals it for me, see you in the Fall. Go Johnnies!

shmumush

New

Post by shmumush » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:21 am

There was a portion where the Career Services Dean spoke about job placement and I have to admit, it did quell some of the fears that I had about job placement. If you work hard, join the clinics, you'll find a job no problem. It definitely seemed as if she, and her staff, were continually trying to expand OCI's and I found her to be believable.
Really? To be completely honest, I did not get the same feeling when I was at ASD about 3 weeks ago. Anyone who says that if you work hard, you will have no problem finding a job, is just ignoring the facts. On this thread alone, there are at least 5-10 potential SJU students who will be going with a full scholarship. All of those students will work hard and join the clinics. Not all will easily get jobs. I hate to be pessimistic but I think those reading this thread are going to be mislead a bit...

That being said, I like SJU too. If you got the full scholarship, you should seriously consider going there. I am probably going to go myself. Great atmosphere, really nice people, decent job prospects if you do well... not a bad choice if you ask me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

binghamtonalum

New

Post by binghamtonalum » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:29 am

shmumush wrote:
Really? To be completely honest, I did not get the same feeling when I was at ASD about 3 weeks ago. Anyone who says that if you work hard, you will have no problem finding a job, is just ignoring the facts. On this thread alone, there are at least 5-10 potential SJU students who will be going with a full scholarship. All of those students will work hard and join the clinics. Not all will easily get jobs. I hate to be pessimistic but I think those reading this thread are going to be mislead a bit...

That being said, I like SJU too. If you got the full scholarship, you should seriously consider going there. I am probably going to go myself. Great atmosphere, really nice people, decent job prospects if you do well... not a bad choice if you ask me.
I'm not ignoring the facts, I've seen the numbers for employment and they're horrendous. However, with 341 enrolling 1L's last year, you'd need to be in the top 136 students to keep your scholarship. Going in, you've already bested the others in LSAT scores, often GPA, and UG education. And like most of you guys, I coasted and didn't do much in UG. Work your tail off, clinic, and network.

binghamtonalum

New

Post by binghamtonalum » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:32 am

shmumush wrote:

hope to see you in the Fall!

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:59 am

FWIW, I will be withdrawing sometime this week. I visited IUB last weekend and have decided to go there. Hopefully my scholly money will go to a worthy TLSer who needs the cash. Although it's hard to turn SJU down because they are a favorite school of mine.

shmumush

New

Post by shmumush » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:18 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:FWIW, I will be withdrawing sometime this week. I visited IUB last weekend and have decided to go there. Hopefully my scholly money will go to a worthy TLSer who needs the cash. Although it's hard to turn SJU down because they are a favorite school of mine.
Good luck in IUB!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shmumush

New

Post by shmumush » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:53 pm

I'm not ignoring the facts, I've seen the numbers for employment and they're horrendous. However, with 341 enrolling 1L's last year, you'd need to be in the top 136 students to keep your scholarship. Going in, you've already bested the others in LSAT scores, often GPA, and UG education. And like most of you guys, I coasted and didn't do much in UG. Work your tail off, clinic, and network.
Still, even if this is true, it doesn't mean it will be easy to get a job. By the way, of the 341 1L's last year, around 90 of those were part-timers. The truth is, to keep the entire scholarship, you need to be in the top 100. Not that this necessarily makes a world of a difference, but there is a difference nonetheless.

I do agree with your underlying premise that those who have been successful up to this point have the best shot at doing well in law school. I don't believe this is guaranteed, but I do think there is some correlation there.

Either way, good luck. See you in the Fall!

rghneck016

New

Post by rghneck016 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:25 pm

anyone know where i can find the Admitted Student Response Form the letter requests we fill out? I can't find it on the admitted students site.

binghamtonalum

New

Post by binghamtonalum » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:31 am

now that I'm sure that I will be attending, I've been shopping around for a laptop. Down to 3 choices

1.) Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 13 or Edge 420. Lenovo reliability, fast processor. Con: can't see one up close, but reviews and looks seem great.

2.) Asus UL 30A, longest battery life and lightest of all.

3.) Macbook Pro, the most expensive, but definitely looks amazing and have heard nothing but great reviews.

Any computer whiz's out there? Or anyone else going through the same predicament?

Dripworx

Bronze

Post by Dripworx » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:21 am

binghamtonalum wrote:now that I'm sure that I will be attending, I've been shopping around for a laptop. Down to 3 choices

1.) Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 13 or Edge 420. Lenovo reliability, fast processor. Con: can't see one up close, but reviews and looks seem great.

3.) Macbook Pro, the most expensive, but definitely looks amazing and have heard nothing but great reviews.

Any computer whiz's out there? Or anyone else going through the same predicament?

Mac user for over a decade, I'd say with the way mac's are going go for it. Relatively free from viruses, no need to deal with antiviruses all the time. really clean interface to work with word processing. my only contention is that you NEED to buy microsoft word, we still live in a predominately PC world, and thus "pages" or the other mac based word processing software isnt really compatible and you will have issues turning shit in.

Other than that, Mac is worth the $$. Long lasting comps that crank out good work if you treat them with care. You get what you pay for :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shmumush

New

Post by shmumush » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:12 pm

binghamtonalum wrote:now that I'm sure that I will be attending, I've been shopping around for a laptop. Down to 3 choices

Actually... I work in an IT company for about a year now. I wouldn't call myself a whiz, but I do think that I may be able to be of some assistance. No charge either :) PM me if you are interested.

Mattfl88

Bronze

Post by Mattfl88 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:33 pm

Withdrew today giving up my seat and $35,000 annually. Here's to hoping that someone here gets that spot and money.

ElectricDreamMachine

New

Post by ElectricDreamMachine » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi everyone. Long time reader, first time poster here. I have accepted a full scholarship to St. John's and will be attending this Fall. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

shmumush

New

Post by shmumush » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:11 pm

ElectricDreamMachine wrote:Hi everyone. Long time reader, first time poster here. I have accepted a full scholarship to St. John's and will be attending this Fall. Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Congrats! Welcome to both!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ElectricDreamMachine

New

Post by ElectricDreamMachine » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:30 pm

Thanks! Congrats to you as well. I'm excited to get started, but also really looking forward to a stress free summer.

Mr_Brightside

New

Post by Mr_Brightside » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:10 pm

Quick question: My status checker has gone blank (for about 4 or 5 days now). Does that mean there is a decision on its way in the mail? Is the decision posted on the checker?

babyoll7304

New

Post by babyoll7304 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:27 pm

Mr_Brightside wrote:Quick question: My status checker has gone blank (for about 4 or 5 days now). Does that mean there is a decision on its way in the mail? Is the decision posted on the checker?
That is exactly the same thing that has happened to me. First, on Thursday, the status disappeared and I called the next day. The lady in admissions said that it meant my decision was pending, and that I should hear very soon. Needless to say, I still haven't heard. Also, I have checked my status and the whole page has basically gone blank except for my address and info. Maybe that means a rejection letter is on it's way?? Hopefully not but this cycle has been so confusing so even though i thought I had a pretty good chance, nothing surprises me anymore!!

IHaveLawyers

Bronze

Post by IHaveLawyers » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:17 pm

Hey guys, has anyone been admitted for the part time program? I applied back in Feb and my app has been complete since 3/1 but no answer. Just wanted to se what kind of numbers are getting admitted. Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”