St. John's 2011 Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bnc2010

New

St. John's 2011 Cycle

Post by bnc2010 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:42 pm

Has anyone heard from the school yet? I applied electronically in September and haven't recieved an email or letter notifying me that they got my application. Absolutely nothing.

ManUdevil

New

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Post by ManUdevil » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:53 pm

I can't say how they are doing things this cycle, but I applied to St. John's last cycle and they took FOREVER to notify me of anything app related. They don't send emails, only snail mail, and even that took longer than you'd think.

bnc2010

New

Post by bnc2010 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:30 pm

Thanks!

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:45 pm

St. John's is my 1st choice school. I sent my app off on October 5th and havent heard a word. I called this morning to have my application held (I need to retake this 167 in December) and they are closed, so I sent off an email. I have been head over heels for that school for years. I even sent my sister there for undergrad.

Im hoping to get a REALLY good score in December so I can get in with a nice scholarship. Good luck to everyone else!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:05 pm

sent my application in this afternoon... just found this thread. best of luck everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:06 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:St. John's is my 1st choice school. I sent my app off on October 5th and havent heard a word. I called this morning to have my application held (I need to retake this 167 in December) and they are closed, so I sent off an email. I have been head over heels for that school for years. I even sent my sister there for undergrad.

Im hoping to get a REALLY good score in December so I can get in with a nice scholarship. Good luck to everyone else!
Why is St. John's your 1st choice?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:50 am

why not

RW65

Bronze

Post by RW65 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:13 am

northwood wrote:why not
People on Law Review not being able to find paying jobs for the summer. People graduating magna not having jobs upon graduation and having difficulty finding something until they pass the bar.

Sounds like two good reasons to me.

With a 167 and a retake (assuming you do better) you should be able to get into a much better school.

FYI - I'm a 2L @ St. John's

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:55 pm

RW65 wrote:
northwood wrote:why not
People on Law Review not being able to find paying jobs for the summer. People graduating magna not having jobs upon graduation and having difficulty finding something until they pass the bar.

With a 167 and a retake (assuming you do better) you should be able to get into a much better school.

FYI - I'm a 2L @ St. John's
Oh, thats not good to hear. I just have a soft spot for the school; always have. I just got my status checker email yesterday and I've been complete since the 8th of November.

I have a really low GPA, and so Im hoping for some splitter love and a decent scholarship, which I hear St. John's is pretty good for. $$$ is definitely a factor

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:57 pm

first time i've heard that top 10% at st. john's doesn't get you a job. i did some light research a while ago and saw st. john's people at a bunch of the vault 100 firms...classes of 2009 and 2010. just looking at the firms' websites, i'd say i found a st. john's grad from 2008-2010 a decent amount of the time, suggesting that top 10% lands you a job.

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:10 am

Been complete for about a week. Anyone under review yet?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:11 am

Ive been complete as well. It says it will take 8-12 weeks to review your completed application. I dont know if they will update your status before going in review, but I would guess we wont hear a decision until after christmas- mid january at the earliest.

I went complete 10 days ago.

tartugas

New

Post by tartugas » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:29 pm

Decision rendered as of 12/2. Have not been checking to see when I went UR, so can't give anyone sense of timeline, sorry. Will wait to see what the mail brings.

Good luck all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shanshan333

Bronze

Post by shanshan333 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:33 pm

Stringer6 wrote:

first time i've heard that top 10% at st. john's doesn't get you a job. i did some light research a while ago and saw st. john's people at a bunch of the vault 100 firms...classes of 2009 and 2010. just looking at the firms' websites, i'd say i found a st. john's grad from 2008-2010 a decent amount of the time, suggesting that top 10% lands you a job.
I go to St. John's undergrad and know a lot of people that go to the LS. I know someone that graduated and has a job at the District Attorney's office. He was not top 10%. You can get jobs and the alumni at St. John's are very loyal and help a lot of the students get jobs. St. John's also has a career center, which is dedicated to helping the students get jobs. They definitely care about their students and will do as much as possible to get you placed somewhere. That said, I did not apply there.

Triple_Entendre

New

Post by Triple_Entendre » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:35 pm

shanshan333 wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:

I go to St. John's undergrad and know a lot of people that go to the LS. I know someone that graduated and has a job at the District Attorney's office. He was not top 10%. You can get jobs and the alumni at St. John's are very loyal and help a lot of the students get jobs. St. John's also has a career center, which is dedicated to helping the students get jobs. They definitely care about their students and will do as much as possible to get you placed somewhere. That said, I did not apply there.

Hey. I'm a St. John's undergrad too. Nice to have fellow STJ students on TLS. :D

shanshan333

Bronze

Post by shanshan333 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:39 pm

Triple_Entendre wrote:
shanshan333 wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:

Hey. I'm a St. John's undergrad too. Nice to have fellow STJ students on TLS. :D
Haha, I probably know you. Represent SJU!!

Triple_Entendre

New

Post by Triple_Entendre » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:42 pm

I go to St. John's undergrad and know a lot of people that go to the LS. I know someone that graduated and has a job at the District Attorney's office. He was not top 10%. You can get jobs and the alumni at St. John's are very loyal and help a lot of the students get jobs. St. John's also has a career center, which is dedicated to helping the students get jobs. They definitely care about their students and will do as much as possible to get you placed somewhere. That said, I did not apply there.[/quote]

Hey. I'm a St. John's undergrad too. Nice to have fellow STJ students on TLS. :D[/quote]

Haha, I probably know you. Represent SJU!![/quote]

You want to know what's funny? I didn't apply to STJ law school either!! That's very telling. Great undergrad though and the law school is cool too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shanshan333

Bronze

Post by shanshan333 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:46 pm

Triple_Entendre wrote:I go to St. John's undergrad and know a lot of people that go to the LS. I know someone that graduated and has a job at the District Attorney's office. He was not top 10%. You can get jobs and the alumni at St. John's are very loyal and help a lot of the students get jobs. St. John's also has a career center, which is dedicated to helping the students get jobs. They definitely care about their students and will do as much as possible to get you placed somewhere. That said, I did not apply there.

Hey. I'm a St. John's undergrad too. Nice to have fellow STJ students on TLS. :D[/quote]

Haha, I probably know you. Represent SJU!![/quote]

You want to know what's funny? I didn't apply to STJ law school either!! That's very telling. Great undergrad though and the law school is cool too.[/quote]

I think the undergrad is very underrated. Especially depending on what major you are. We have a few departments that are just amazing. All the faculty from the English department either went to Cornell, NYU, Yale, Harvard, or Columbia. I've heard really good things about the law school but I'm hopeful that other schools would just be a better fit/ work out better and I'd like to change the scenery from St. John's. It's great but I've done all I can there.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:04 pm

what turned you off from UG to Law School at St.Johns? Did you both want a change of scenery, or is there something else?

shanshan333

Bronze

Post by shanshan333 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:13 pm

northwood wrote:what turned you off from UG to Law School at St.Johns? Did you both want a change of scenery, or is there something else?
Yupp, change of scenery. I have a lot of great friends from SJU, met a lot of great teachers... Ready for a new school.

shutterbug

Bronze

Post by shutterbug » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:21 pm

ManUdevil wrote:I can't say how they are doing things this cycle, but I applied to St. John's last cycle and they took FOREVER to notify me of anything app related. They don't send emails, only snail mail, and even that took longer than you'd think.
Hey all - I am a St. John's 1L and wanted to chime in and tell you folks that this is absolutely true. MANY of my classmates didn't hear until July & August. Patience!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:54 pm

checked my status for the first time and it says a decision has been made as of 12/1. i haven't received anything in the mail yet. this happen to anyone else?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:56 pm

mine still says application complete 11/19...

tartugas

New

Post by tartugas » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:59 pm

Stringer6 wrote:checked my status for the first time and it says a decision has been made as of 12/1. i haven't received anything in the mail yet. this happen to anyone else?
Same here. I'm currently awaiting a call back from the admissions office. Will let you know what I hear.

tartugas

New

Post by tartugas » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:41 pm

tartugas wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:checked my status for the first time and it says a decision has been made as of 12/1. i haven't received anything in the mail yet. this happen to anyone else?
Same here. I'm currently awaiting a call back from the admissions office. Will let you know what I hear.
Received a call back today from the admissions office. The office has not yet sent out letters, but hope to do so soon. People should receive within a week.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”