St. John's 2011 Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ElectricDreamMachine

New

Re: St. John's 2011 Cycle

Post by ElectricDreamMachine » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:23 pm

What's everyone doing about housing? I'll be moving from Brooklyn to Astoria in June. Anybody else planning on living in that area?

nycdc2011

New

Post by nycdc2011 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:42 pm

ElectricDreamMachine wrote:What's everyone doing about housing? I'll be moving from Brooklyn to Astoria in June. Anybody else planning on living in that area?
Also wondering this. Would like to find a place in Astoria or around there. Any other areas recommended for a decent commute?

afc1910

New

Post by afc1910 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:51 pm

Last edited by afc1910 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

shmumush

New

Post by shmumush » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:42 pm

nycdc2011 wrote:
ElectricDreamMachine wrote:What's everyone doing about housing? I'll be moving from Brooklyn to Astoria in June. Anybody else planning on living in that area?
Also wondering this. Would like to find a place in Astoria or around there. Any other areas recommended for a decent commute?
I posted this earlier...

I plan on living in the Forest Hills area... The advantage of Forest Hills is that you are about a 10 minute drive to SJU and about a 5-10 walk (depending where you are in Forest Hills) from the subway into Manhattan without paying the Manhattan price. Queens Blvd. has everything you could ever want/need and is priced fairly reasonably. About $800-900 a month with a roommate. (2 Bedroom) I also recommend driving in to school every day as the bus times can sometimes be very unreliable. Good luck!

bigmikeny21

New

Post by bigmikeny21 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:43 pm

jdncu wrote:
starlight007 wrote:
bigmikeny21 wrote:
IHaveLawyers wrote:Hey guys, has anyone been admitted for the part time program? I applied back in Feb and my app has been complete since 3/1 but no answer. Just wanted to se what kind of numbers are getting admitted. Thanks!
I've been complete for the PT program since 12/1...
I know of only a couple people being admitted and they were w/scholariships...

They have rejected and waitlisted a lot of people who have applied before and mostly after me so I don't really know what they are doing. Law school numbers can give you a little bit of a better idea.

It seems like they aren't going to get to the remaining applicants they are considering for the PT program until they hear a response from the accepted students for the April 1st deposit deadline... That's just my guess at this point based on what I am seeing...

Sheesh I thought I was the only one waiting around for an answer! A school that's 15mins away from me is giving me the most grief :( I wannnaaaaa be a johnnie lol
This school is seriously ridiculous with the admissions process. I have been complete for over 4 months now. They have just about completely fallen off my radar and I'm likely to turn down an offer from them at this point. Way to go from being one of my top choices to out of the picture. I'm just baffled.
Any updates from PT people?! Acceptances, Rejections, Waitlists or Withdrawals?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IHaveLawyers

Bronze

Post by IHaveLawyers » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:08 pm

I called them today, I am a PT applicant. They didn't really give me any information, just the same old BS about we are going though all the apps and will get to yours as soon as we can.

St. John's is one of my top pick, and would really really really really like to get in!!! grah!

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:50 pm

I'm going to move back in with my parents in Nassau County for 1L.. all I'll be doing is studying anyway probably. Then 2L I'll move to Astoria or Kew Gardens or something.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:10 pm

Withdrew my application today. Hopefully a TLSer gets my spot. Though most of you are probably accepted with full scholarships already!

binghamtonalum

New

Post by binghamtonalum » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:03 pm

lots of withdrawals here, anyone send a deposit in today?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shmumush

New

Post by shmumush » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:20 pm

binghamtonalum wrote:lots of withdrawals here, anyone send a deposit in today?
I sent in mine...

ElectricDreamMachine

New

Post by ElectricDreamMachine » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:47 pm

shmumush wrote:
binghamtonalum wrote:lots of withdrawals here, anyone send a deposit in today?
I sent in mine...
me too

babyoll7304

New

Post by babyoll7304 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:12 am

If I choose to attend St. John's, I would be relocating. Does anyone know if it is better to be off campus or on campus? If I do off campus, I would participate in the roommate program to meet someone because I don't have connections with other people in the area. That said, do you think that living on campus would offer the best opportunities to meet other people? It seems like a lot of people are living at home or with people outside of the law school. Any advice?

IHaveLawyers

Bronze

Post by IHaveLawyers » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:20 pm

babyoll7304 wrote:If I choose to attend St. John's, I would be relocating. Does anyone know if it is better to be off campus or on campus? If I do off campus, I would participate in the roommate program to meet someone because I don't have connections with other people in the area. That said, do you think that living on campus would offer the best opportunities to meet other people? It seems like a lot of people are living at home or with people outside of the law school. Any advice?
I have lots of friends in law school right now at various cities across the south. I noticed that the ones that live on campus seem to be having a better time and are performing better in their classes. I don't know is it's a cause and effect or coincident, just thought it was worth mentioning.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LaProfe14

New

Post by LaProfe14 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:26 am

complete for 10 weeks now! uuggh!

bigmikeny21

New

Post by bigmikeny21 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:12 pm

LaProfe14 wrote:complete for 10 weeks now! uuggh!
Complete since 12/1... for PT...

I am exhausted by this process to say the least...

w.ftw

New

Post by w.ftw » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:10 pm

bigmikeny21 wrote:
LaProfe14 wrote:complete for 10 weeks now! uuggh!
Complete since 12/1... for PT...

I am exhausted by this process to say the least...
You and me both...

binghamtonalum

New

Post by binghamtonalum » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:21 pm

I'm leaning towards St. John's, but a question for those who paid the seat deposits already? Did you pay online through UIS? After such a long and somewhat tedious decision-making process, I'm leaning towards cutting a check and paying it in person at the law school. Anyone else do this or know if it's allowable? I would venture to guess it would be okay

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ElectricDreamMachine

New

Post by ElectricDreamMachine » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:46 pm

I think it's probably fine to pay by check, although in their reminder e-mail about deposits, the instructions for submitting are through UIS. I'm sure they'll be happy to take your money in any form though!

shmumush

New

Post by shmumush » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:19 pm

binghamtonalum wrote:I'm leaning towards St. John's, but a question for those who paid the seat deposits already? Did you pay online through UIS? After such a long and somewhat tedious decision-making process, I'm leaning towards cutting a check and paying it in person at the law school. Anyone else do this or know if it's allowable? I would venture to guess it would be okay
Good question. I am sure if you call them and ask, you'll get the answer pretty quick...

binghamtonalum

New

Post by binghamtonalum » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:23 pm

Lol at the smart response there, cmon no.need to be facetious bud, just was wanted to.hand in my deposit in person and was wondering If anyone else did the same.

shmumush

New

Post by shmumush » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:29 pm

binghamtonalum wrote:Lol at the smart response there, cmon no.need to be facetious bud, just was wanted to.hand in my deposit in person and was wondering If anyone else did the same.
Was that directed towards my response? I was in no way trying to be facetious. I apologize if it came off that way...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

East Coast Law

New

Post by East Coast Law » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:55 pm

Ill most likely be attending in the Fall - submitted the seat deposit via UIS; Im new to the whole student loan process, and am thinking about taking a loan to pay for housing in the St Johns area- has anyone tried to accept the loans as of yet? Whats the usual time table to accept by?

binghamtonalum

New

Post by binghamtonalum » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:03 pm

shmumush wrote:
binghamtonalum wrote:Lol at the smart response there, cmon no.need to be facetious bud, just was wanted to.hand in my deposit in person and was wondering If anyone else did the same.
Was that directed towards my response? I was in no way trying to be facetious. I apologize if it came off that way...

Haha yea I figured. Was kind of shocked because you've been more than.helpful to me in previous posts and seem like a great guy.
Have you decided on sju?

Also regarding the loans, I think you can accept now. I don't have the papers in front of me but when you receive the financial aid breakdown there's a sheet dedicated on how to follow up

shmumush

New

Post by shmumush » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:03 am

Haha yea I figured. Was kind of shocked because you've been more than.helpful to me in previous posts and seem like a great guy.
Have you decided on sju?
No worries.. I appreciate that. In any event, I sent in my deposit about a week ago but I have not yet decided if I am going to attend. I am waiting on Cardozo to get back to me with regard to negotiating more scholarship money. Something tells me that I am not gonna be able to squeeze anything more out of them, in which case I will attend SJU. To tell you the truth, I am unsure if I will go to Cardozo even if they up the offer to 25k per year... I do like SJU alot. (I know the area well, like the school atmosphere, and my twin brother currently attends.)

shmumush

New

Post by shmumush » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:35 pm

To those who are looking to buy a laptop for law school... check out this great deal.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/ ... A01A0A0L25

No I do not work for Dell... just figured I would share this with you all.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”