Hofstra 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NJcollegestudent

Re: Hofstra 2011

Postby NJcollegestudent » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:03 am

For those who were accepted, did anyone's checker go blank first? It seems that wait-listed students, such as my self, do not even have that message anymore and now there is no status.

jessi419

Postby jessi419 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:34 am

NJcollegestudent wrote:For those who were accepted, did anyone's checker go blank first? It seems that wait-listed students, such as my self, do not even have that message anymore and now there is no status.

Mine was "with the admissions committee" all day and the only change that I saw was when the status went to accepted.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:05 am

Just call up Hofstra and ask to speak with the IT department:

Eh oh. Yea this is Tony.. What can I do ya for? OH? The Status checka aint workin? Thats crazzzyyy.. Eh oh you sound pretty cute... What's your status anyway? If ya don't mind me askin? Why do you want to go to law school anyway; why don't you find yourself a nice husband with an orange tan, spikey hair and a good job in construction... I got a few boys I could set you up wit. We're all goin over to Glo on Friday night.. You should get your girls and come along.. Oh the status checka... yea that shit is broke but the BMW my dad got me is workin real tight..

Gatorbull84

Postby Gatorbull84 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:36 am

Got accepted yesterday via status checker. Not sure where Im gonna go yet. Does anyone know when and how we figure out if we got any money?

Spack

Postby Spack » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:00 am

reasonable_man wrote:Just call up Hofstra and ask to speak with the IT department:

Eh oh. Yea this is Tony.. What can I do ya for? OH? The Status checka aint workin? Thats crazzzyyy.. Eh oh you sound pretty cute... What's your status anyway? If ya don't mind me askin? Why do you want to go to law school anyway; why don't you find yourself a nice husband with an orange tan, spikey hair and a good job in construction... I got a few boys I could set you up wit. We're all goin over to Glo on Friday night.. You should get your girls and come along.. Oh the status checka... yea that shit is broke but the BMW my dad got me is workin real tight..

You must be really bored.

Woods, Elle

Postby Woods, Elle » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:07 am

^ Agreed

I don't really see what's wrong with having Hofstra as a safety... it's still Tier I and having safeties never hurt. It's nice to know that I have options, and acceptances are nice as well. Frankly, I'm surprised this thread is crazy with all of the Jersey Shore stuff and not a school like New York Law or CUNY.

Underground404

Postby Underground404 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:16 am

Woods, Elle wrote:^ Agreed

I don't really see what's wrong with having Hofstra as a safety... it's still Tier I and having safeties never hurt. It's nice to know that I have options, and acceptances are nice as well. Frankly, I'm surprised this thread is crazy with all of the Jersey Shore stuff and not a school like New York Law or CUNY.

Completely agree.

I wasn't going to say anything, but I'm getting quite annoyed with people hijacking this thread to lash out at a law school.

People come here for information, not to see people like "reasonable_man" post crap about the law school. It's fine if you want to be critical of the law school, faculty, job prospects, or whatever you want, but be civil about it and keep it on topic. If you want to start a "Why I Hate Hofstra" thread, go for it, but this isn't the place. This is a place to talk about the school, congratulate people on acceptances, help people who have been waitlisted, and to sympathize with people who have been rejected.

Back to the original purpose of the thread...

I applied EA to Hofstra as a safety and haven't received a status checker or an e-mail from the university, is anyone else in the same boat?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:20 am

Woods, Elle wrote:Frankly, I'm surprised this thread is crazy with all of the Jersey Shore stuff and not a school like New York Law or CUNY.

Have you ever been to Hempsted and the surrounding areas on Long Island? If you had, you'd understand.

Spack

Postby Spack » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:24 am

Underground404 wrote:

Completely agree.

I wasn't going to say anything, but I'm getting quite annoyed with people hijacking this thread to lash out at a law school.

People come here for information, not to see people like "reasonable_man" post crap about the law school. It's fine if you want to be critical of the law school, faculty, job prospects, or whatever you want, but be civil about it and keep it on topic. If you want to start a "Why I Hate Hofstra" thread, go for it, but this isn't the place. This is a place to talk about the school, congratulate people on acceptances, help people who have been waitlisted, and to sympathize with people who have been rejected.

I applied EA to Hofstra as a safety and haven't received a status checker or an e-mail from the university, is anyone else in the same boat?

Exactly. I don't even have a problem with him criticizing the school here but he's not doing it in a constructive way at all and the guido jokes are getting old. I will admit that some of the things people have said about the school turned me off and lead to me doing more research and at this point I know without a doubt I wouldn't attend unless I was going for 100% free.

Also, I would call them ASAP about your status checker and decision. One of the things I hate the most about the school is it seems SO disorganized. People should not be getting their status checkers a month and a half after they applied, especially if they applied Early Action. When I emailed them about mine they basically said "We'll send you one when we have a decision". What USE is a Status Checker at that point when you could just send a damn email or something?

Underground404

Postby Underground404 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:31 am

Well I actually looked through my e-mails and found it from a few days ago. I just checked my status and it doesn't say anything about being accepted, but it has a long "Requirements List" of things to do. Does this mean I was accepted?

Spack

Postby Spack » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:46 am

Underground404 wrote:Well I actually looked through my e-mails and found it from a few days ago. I just checked my status and it doesn't say anything about being accepted, but it has a long "Requirements List" of things to do. Does this mean I was accepted?

Yes, I would think so :). Congrats! Wanna come and get a tan with me now? :P

Underground404

Postby Underground404 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:14 pm

Spack wrote:
Underground404 wrote:Well I actually looked through my e-mails and found it from a few days ago. I just checked my status and it doesn't say anything about being accepted, but it has a long "Requirements List" of things to do. Does this mean I was accepted?

Yes, I would think so :). Congrats! Wanna come and get a tan with me now? :P

I called the admissions staff and they said the Status Checker would be down until around 1pm EST today.

Definitely, I'll go grab the sun tan lotion, bubbly, and some beach towels. :wink:

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:39 pm

Spack wrote:
Underground404 wrote:

Completely agree.

Exactly. I don't even have a problem with him criticizing the school here but he's not doing it in a constructive way at all and the guido jokes are getting old. I will admit that some of the things people have said about the school turned me off and lead to me doing more research and at this point I know without a doubt I wouldn't attend unless I was going for 100% free.

Also, I would call them ASAP about your status checker and decision. One of the things I hate the most about the school is it seems SO disorganized. People should not be getting their status checkers a month and a half after they applied, especially if they applied Early Action. When I emailed them about mine they basically said "We'll send you one when we have a decision". What USE is a Status Checker at that point when you could just send a damn email or something?

I just called and they stated that it is down until 1pm. My requirements is blank, so here comes the wait-list or rejection.

Underground404

Postby Underground404 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:44 pm

Don't get down on yourself just yet. If the status checker is down, I wouldn't read anything into it. Hold out for another 90 minutes and we should have some answers as to where we all stand.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:55 pm

Underground404 wrote:Don't get down on yourself just yet. If the status checker is down, I wouldn't read anything into it. Hold out for another 90 minutes and we should have some answers as to where we all stand.

Thanks, hopefully the acceptances stay as such, and i hear something concrete. Its the waiting in limbo that is not fun, as i would just like to know outright, in or out.

Underground404

Postby Underground404 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:03 pm

I know the feeling, trust me. I was looking at your profile numbers and you remind me of me with the really high GPA and the less-than-stellar LSAT. My numbers are 3.92 LSDAS GPA (3.97 at my home university) and a 156 LSAT, so I certainly know where you're coming from. I wish you nothing but the best. I definitely sympathize with reverse-splitters and I think we'll be rewarded for our strong work ethic in the classroom. Good luck to you! :D

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:06 pm

Underground404 wrote:I know the feeling, trust me. I was looking at your profile numbers and you remind me of me with the really high GPA and the less-than-stellar LSAT. My numbers are 3.92 LSDAS GPA (3.97 at my home university) and a 156 LSAT, so I certainly know where you're coming from. I wish you nothing but the best. I definitely sympathize with reverse-splitters and I think we'll be rewarded for our strong work ethic in the classroom. Good luck to you! :D

Thank you for wishing me luck. Reverse-splitting is quite tough in that sense, as universities seem to look unfavorably on us. While Hofstra Law School is not my first choice, it is a local school, and a safety should i not receive admission to Rutgers.

You are closer to the median for Hofstra, so you should be in with the GPA. What might make me miss the mark is the lower LSAT score.

Woods, Elle

Postby Woods, Elle » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:12 pm

I live on Long Island, on the North Shore. I know that it is jappy, but it's not trashy. Granted, I live in one of the nicer towns and people are always surprised because I defy the LI stereotype, but I think the stereotype is more of a mix of the kids who live near the beach or something. I'm not entirely sure what part Hofstra is in, but my friend's dad is a professor at the undergrad and it's about 40 mins away from me. Just saying...not all parts of LI fall into some stereotype (which doesn't extend to all parts of the island).\

Edit - good luck to you guys waiting! I think Hofstra's median is 151, so I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

Underground404

Postby Underground404 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:18 pm

I think you're close enough to stand a chance. You and I are both above everyone's 75th % GPA, so that definitely helps.

The approach I've been using is to look at the 25th % LSAT of of the various schools and apply to ones where I might be only 2-3 points below. I think it's possible to bridge that 2-3 point gap, simply because of the high GPA, good softs, and a well-written personal statement. 4-5 points below the 25th % LSAT is without a doubt a big reach, but still possible to get in.

Regardless of what you do, just make sure you have some pretty good softs and a fantastic personal statement. Don't be afraid to add a standardized testing addendum if you have a history of not doing well. I added an addendum and confirmed my SAT and ACT numbers with my high school records office.

45 minutes!

Spack

Postby Spack » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:20 pm

Woods, Elle wrote:I live on Long Island, on the North Shore. I know that it is jappy, but it's not trashy. Granted, I live in one of the nicer towns and people are always surprised because I defy the LI stereotype, but I think the stereotype is more of a mix of the kids who live near the beach or something. I'm not entirely sure what part Hofstra is in, but my friend's dad is a professor at the undergrad and it's about 40 mins away from me. Just saying...not all parts of LI fall into some stereotype (which doesn't extend to all parts of the island).\

Edit - good luck to you guys waiting! I think Hofstra's median is 151, so I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

I just checked and Hofstra's median is 158 according to their viewbook

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:22 pm

Spack wrote:
Woods, Elle wrote:I live on Long Island, on the North Shore. I know that it is jappy, but it's not trashy. Granted, I live in one of the nicer towns and people are always surprised because I defy the LI stereotype, but I think the stereotype is more of a mix of the kids who live near the beach or something. I'm not entirely sure what part Hofstra is in, but my friend's dad is a professor at the undergrad and it's about 40 mins away from me. Just saying...not all parts of LI fall into some stereotype (which doesn't extend to all parts of the island).\

Almost every school is raising their medians and thus it is hard to tell what it is. On LSAC's official guide it was a 157, perhaps that was last years?

Spack

Postby Spack » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:34 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:
Spack wrote:

Almost every school is raising their medians and thus it is hard to tell what it is. On LSAC's official guide it was a 157, perhaps that was last years?

Who knows? I actually was just curious because I didn't remember what it was from when I did my research prior to applying.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:02 pm

Well the status had not changed yet, so maybe later?

Underground404

Postby Underground404 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:14 pm

Yeah, nothing has changed for me either. I'll give it until 2pm and if the status checker is still down, then I'll consider calling again.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:15 pm

Underground404 wrote:Yeah, nothing has changed for me either. I'll give it until 2pm and if the status checker is still down, then I'll consider calling again.

Same here, as this is still quite odd for a checker to only go down for some.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”