CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
queenlizzie13

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:30 pm

bananeez wrote:
krad wrote:Thanks QL :) I'm still anxiously waiting!

Yay! Congrats! GW is a great school. And D.C. is great. Considering?

GW is a great school. I was WL'd there.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:32 pm

I will definitely be considering it, but I still have a lot of my cycle to go :mrgreen: <cough CU cough>

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:35 pm

JakeL wrote:
bananeez wrote:I'm hearing that it's 60 and sunny in Boulder today? Beats D.C.'s thunder snow storm...

Not if you like to ski... The whole west coast/rockies are getting absolutely screwed so far this year...

No kidding. I live on the west coast and the mountian nearest me usually has a base between 100-130'' this time of the year. Right now it is in the 70's.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:38 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:Really? Why Minneapolis? Is she originally from there?

Nah, we're both from Iowa... But she went to UG in Minnesota, and has a ton of friends there. It's the "perfect" situation... We know people, would enjoy going to the schools there, and it's still a weekend trip from our parents. CO, on the other hand, we'd have to fly for a weekend.

rockies2

Postby rockies2 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:03 pm

How long does it take for CU to let you know that they've recieved your application? I haven't heard anything from them and I submitted 3 weeks ago.

I want to call the admissions office to make sure they got it but I'm scared they'll ask if I added Colorado to my email's safe sender list. If I'm not smart enough to figure this out how can I make it in law school?!? Plus, why would my email let the "Please help me access my $500 million inheritance email" from Africa through but block everything from CU?

krad

Postby krad » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:10 pm

rockies2 wrote:How long does it take for CU to let you know that they've recieved your application? I haven't heard anything from them and I submitted 3 weeks ago.

I want to call the admissions office to make sure they got it but I'm scared they'll ask if I added Colorado to my email's safe sender list. If I'm not smart enough to figure this out how can I make it in law school?!? Plus, why would my email let the "Please help me access my $500 million inheritance email" from Africa through but block everything from CU?

Don't fret! I think I emailed admissions ~3 weeks after I submitted and had heard nothing. They responded with an email saying I was complete. If you're worried, just contact the school; they won't think you're crazy.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:53 pm

So I want to ski during my visit in March - would you guys just recommend going to Eldora? Would there be snow at Eldora in March?

franklin14

Postby franklin14 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:30 pm

You would think it would be open in March. Might even have a lot of snow. If not, somewhere will be open with good snow if this pattern holds at all through the spring. Or it is ok skiing but great weather.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:42 pm

Q: Is there any advantage to putting down your seat deposit early at CU? Does it make any difference?

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:07 pm

bananeez wrote:Q: Is there any advantage to putting down your seat deposit early at CU? Does it make any difference?

I was just reading about this yesterday. On CU's website it says:

"To accept a seat in the upcoming class, an admitted student must send a confirmation form and a $200 seat deposit to Colorado Law by the date specified in the letter notifying the applicant of admission. We ask each newly admitted student to respond within approximately two weeks after receipt of the letter (but not earlier than April 1)."

I haven't been accepted, so I don't have any details of the letter, but it seems like there isn't an opportunity to send your deposit early, if I'm understanding it correctly. The deadline is the April 15th (right?).

Sounds like you've made your decision to attend CU? I envy you :), hopefully I will be joining you there.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:36 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:So I want to ski during my visit in March - would you guys just recommend going to Eldora? Would there be snow at Eldora in March?

I went to Winterpark last year in March, for what it's worth.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:46 pm

ptblazer wrote:
bananeez wrote:Q: Is there any advantage to putting down your seat deposit early at CU? Does it make any difference?

I was just reading about this yesterday. On CU's website it says:

"To accept a seat in the upcoming class, an admitted student must send a confirmation form and a $200 seat deposit to Colorado Law by the date specified in the letter notifying the applicant of admission. We ask each newly admitted student to respond within approximately two weeks after receipt of the letter (but not earlier than April 1)."

I haven't been accepted, so I don't have any details of the letter, but it seems like there isn't an opportunity to send your deposit early, if I'm understanding it correctly. The deadline is the April 15th (right?).

Sounds like you've made your decision to attend CU? I envy you :), hopefully I will be joining you there.

Hmmm... interesting. I didn't realize that. Both the letter and the accepted website only say when it's due -- April 15.

I'm not completely sure, but it's kind of striking that I don't really care about any of the other pending decisions... :)

And don't worry, have a good feeling about you. You'll get your accept soon. :wink:

Edit: Is there any way that they mean (with somewhat confusing syntax) that they just don't require the two week response deadline until April 1?

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:15 pm

bananeez wrote: Hmmm... interesting. I didn't realize that. Both the letter and the accepted website only say when it's due -- April 15.

I'm not completely sure, but it's kind of striking that I don't really care about any of the other pending decisions... :)

And don't worry, have a good feeling about you. You'll get your accept soon. :wink:

Edit: Is there any way that they mean (in somewhat confusing syntax) that they just don't require the two week response deadline until April 1?

Thats a good question and honestly I have no idea. The way I try to understand it is that the 2 weeks refers to if you apply later or are waitlisted and don't get an acceptance until after the April 15th deadline.

Maybe the no money before April 1st could be an old policy, but I can take a quess at why they do that. They may not want any confirmed seats until after they have reviewed every applicant.

Oh and thanks for the confidence :)

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:51 pm

I've been to Eldora in March. The conditions weren't the greatest, but I got to snowboard in a t-shirt.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:17 am

stlisforlovers wrote:I've been to Eldora in March. The conditions weren't the greatest, but I got to snowboard in a t-shirt.

Lol. Seriously? Some people at the local mountains near So Cal do that sometimes. I am thinking I would be too cold. I am spoiled by So Cal's weather.

Haha and bananeez, the longer USC and Boalt take, the less I am beginning to care...

arobb527

Postby arobb527 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:15 am

I grew up in Vail, chose to come to California for undergrad, and now I miss the seasons terribly...Colorado is a great place.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:28 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:So I want to ski during my visit in March - would you guys just recommend going to Eldora? Would there be snow at Eldora in March?

There will be snow somewhere. I used to come to CO every spring break from 7th grade through the time I went to college... And then started going for 3 days over Thanksgiving break and a week over Christmas break. But, yeah, there's snow in Colorado at most resorts in March, unless it's a freak winter.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:43 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:
stlisforlovers wrote:I've been to Eldora in March. The conditions weren't the greatest, but I got to snowboard in a t-shirt.

Lol. Seriously? Some people at the local mountains near So Cal do that sometimes. I am thinking I would be too cold. I am spoiled by So Cal's weather.

Haha and bananeez, the longer USC and Boalt take, the less I am beginning to care...

I'm even starting to feel like I don't want to know, haha.

p.s. I should mention that Eldora isn't that great of a mountain for Colorado-- often windy, very small mountain, the snow can be... eh. That said, it's a great option because it's so convenient and close. And can definitely be fun. Just wanted to say that, in case you really wanted to experience some great Colorado slopes. If so, I love Winter Park, which is another good, closer option.

krad

Postby krad » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:52 am

I've never been to Eldora :shock: Key/Breck/Vail are the usu. Something will have snow in March, for sure. Snowboarding in a t shirt during the spring is not uncommon at all. It's really not cold when it's in the 40's/50's. I wore a sweatshirt for some early Fall riding this year haha. It's only cold if you eat it!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:04 pm

bananeez wrote:
I'm even starting to feel like I don't want to know, haha.

p.s. I should mention that Eldora isn't that great of a mountain for Colorado-- often windy, very small mountain, the snow can be... eh. That said, it's a great option because it's so convenient and close. And can definitely be fun. Just wanted to say that, in case you really wanted to experience some great Colorado slopes. If so, I love Winter Park, which is another good, closer option.

How far is WP from Boulder? Was thinking about getting the Breck/Keystone pass (if I do end up in CO next year!), but if WP is closer I wouldn't mind going there. I loved WP the one week I got to spend there.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:10 pm

chrisbru wrote:
How far is WP from Boulder? Was thinking about getting the Breck/Keystone pass (if I do end up in CO next year!), but if WP is closer I wouldn't mind going there. I loved WP the one week I got to spend there.

I could be wrong -- haven't been in a little while, but -- think WP is about an hour and a half. Breck and Keystone are both about two hours I think. Breck may be my favorite of those three, though.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:20 pm

bananeez wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

I could be wrong -- haven't been in a little while, but -- think WP is about an hour and a half. Breck and Keystone are both about two hours I think. Breck may be my favorite of those three, though.

Agreed. Breck is my favorite if it isn't crowded. Keystone is the only of the three that has night riding though, right?

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:36 pm

chrisbru wrote:
bananeez wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Agreed. Breck is my favorite if it isn't crowded. Keystone is the only of the three that has night riding though, right?

An often overlooked resort is Copper, since it's a bit further away than Key/Breck. Great snow, and for some reason a lot of people won't make the extra 20 minute drive to get there!

For close-in skiing, there's always Loveland. I'd skip Eldora - snow is meh, and it's always windy and freezing.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:39 pm

chrisbru wrote:

There will be snow somewhere. I used to come to CO every spring break from 7th grade through the time I went to college... And then started going for 3 days over Thanksgiving break and a week over Christmas break. But, yeah, there's snow in Colorado at most resorts in March, unless it's a freak winter.

Its crazy to think that there wouldn't be snow in March. I'm used to people talking about the Cascade Mtns, where it is not uncommon to be able to ski on Memorial Day and into June some years. Despite growing up 22 miles away from a ski resort, my winters were consumed by other sports and saddly I never had time to get into skiing. Perhaps that will change in Colorado, but of course now I'll be a poor law student, so maybe it was never meant to be...

DrVictorFreeze

Postby DrVictorFreeze » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:53 pm

ptblazer wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Its crazy to think that there wouldn't be snow in March. I'm used to people talking about the Cascade Mtns, where it is not uncommon to be able to ski on Memorial Day and into June some years. Despite growing up 22 miles away from a ski resort, my winters were consumed by other sports and saddly I never had time to get into skiing. Perhaps that will change in Colorado, but of course now I'll be a poor law student, so maybe it was never meant to be...

Copper is the best resort in colorado. Free parking that is close, no lines, and great slopes. Spring skiing is the best, wear a tshirt.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”