CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:36 am

That is a really good point about the grocery stores. I would love having a whole foods nearby that is not too crowded. I grew up in the suburbs too. I guess I will know more about where to live when I visit.

But saving $ + newer area sounds good good to me. I like UCI's very clean and new apartments. What I didn't like was the cost, however. So expensive!

Rockies games at $4? Nice! I think going to one NFL game would be awesome though. But probably not more than that. NFL tickets are expensive. Of course nothing beats the cost of Super Bowl tickets...

fuzzypeach
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:30 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby fuzzypeach » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:05 am

Has anyone gotten any scholarship information yet? I'm trying to figure out if I wait till next cycle what I would actually need to get on the LSAT to get some sort of financial aid from Colorado. Even with residency, tuition is still 28k! blarghidy blargh blargh!

Congrats on everyone's acceptances!

bananeez
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:47 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby bananeez » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:22 am

ptblazer wrote:your asking a lot of the questions I've been thinking about queenlizzie, thanks! Also, I'm a huge sports fan so going to a Broncos game would be a lot of fun, I'm definitly going to take advantage of that at least once. Here's to hoping they can avoid a lockout, because its the only sport team there I'm really interested in. I dispise the Nuggets, so I will not be giving them any of my money, unless they are playing my favorite team. In which case I'll be sure to buy tickets off the street and thus avoid having to give my money directly to the organization (and I will also sneak in my beverage).


Go Rockies!!

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:04 pm

I'd like to +1 Pufer's comments on Louisville. I lived there for 13 years and it is superior in most ways to Boulder. Boulder's cost of living is pretty high for the crummy quality you're likely to get, and my understanding from talking to CU students is that the projected COA is not accurate for living in Boulder, so if you're living off loans it's a big problem making ends meet.

ptblazer wrote: I dispise the Nuggets


Image

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby krad » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:06 pm

^ Thank you, bildungs! Nuggieslove.

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:36 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I'd like to +1 Pufer's comments on Louisville. I lived there for 13 years and it is superior in most ways to Boulder. Boulder's cost of living is pretty high for the crummy quality you're likely to get, and my understanding from talking to CU students is that the projected COA is not accurate for living in Boulder, so if you're living off loans it's a big problem making ends meet.

ptblazer wrote: I dispise the Nuggets


Me too. I am a Laker fan.

ptblazer
Posts: 376
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:27 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby ptblazer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:47 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I'd like to +1 Pufer's comments on Louisville. I lived there for 13 years and it is superior in most ways to Boulder. Boulder's cost of living is pretty high for the crummy quality you're likely to get, and my understanding from talking to CU students is that the projected COA is not accurate for living in Boulder, so if you're living off loans it's a big problem making ends meet.

ptblazer wrote: I dispise the Nuggets


Image



HAHA, just saying I wont support a team with the players currently on it. Nuggets pfft, more like Thuggets. Some serious character issues on that team.

ptblazer
Posts: 376
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:27 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby ptblazer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:48 pm

bananeez wrote:
ptblazer wrote:your asking a lot of the questions I've been thinking about queenlizzie, thanks! Also, I'm a huge sports fan so going to a Broncos game would be a lot of fun, I'm definitly going to take advantage of that at least once. Here's to hoping they can avoid a lockout, because its the only sport team there I'm really interested in. I dispise the Nuggets, so I will not be giving them any of my money, unless they are playing my favorite team. In which case I'll be sure to buy tickets off the street and thus avoid having to give my money directly to the organization (and I will also sneak in my beverage).


Go Rockies!!


Sorry you're right, Go Rockies!

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby oldhippie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:55 pm

can i just say WHERE THE HELL ARE EVERYONE'S ACCPETANCES??
i'm sick of waiting to know who's gonna be in boulder with me!
ok, end of rant, i'm just eager for more info (i shouldn't be greedy since i got mine already, but geez.......)

User avatar
stlisforlovers
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby stlisforlovers » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:58 pm

If they're this slow about acceptances, how slow are they going to be for scholarships?
Let's get on it CU!

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12714
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby LeDique » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:05 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:If they're this slow about acceptances, how slow are they going to be for scholarships?
Let's get on it CU!


Seriously. I don't want to jump the gun, but I'm fairly sure I'm going to get accepted. Scholarship is going to be the deciding point.

JakeL
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby JakeL » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:10 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:If they're this slow about acceptances, how slow are they going to be for scholarships?
Let's get on it CU!


This is actually a pretty serious concern for me. CU would easily be my top choice with a nice scholarship, but worried that they won't get that stuff out by the time seat deposits are due for other schools. I'm sure they will get them to us with time, but don't like waiting...

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby krad » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:21 pm

JakeL wrote:
stlisforlovers wrote:If they're this slow about acceptances, how slow are they going to be for scholarships?
Let's get on it CU!


This is actually a pretty serious concern for me. CU would easily be my top choice with a nice scholarship, but worried that they won't get that stuff out by the time seat deposits are due for other schools. I'm sure they will get them to us with time, but don't like waiting...


ditto.

rekopter
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:10 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby rekopter » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:27 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I'd like to +1 Pufer's comments on Louisville. I lived there for 13 years and it is superior in most ways to Boulder. Boulder's cost of living is pretty high for the crummy quality you're likely to get, and my understanding from talking to CU students is that the projected COA is not accurate for living in Boulder, so if you're living off loans it's a big problem making ends meet.

ptblazer wrote: I dispise the Nuggets


Image


Another perspective on where to live:

I have a great place in South Boulder. The bus is completely convenient (I didn't have a car my first year) to get to school, downtown, and even Denver. I am *minutes* from the foothills, a 5 minute drive from school, an 8 minute drive from the Costco shopping area Pufer references.

My biggest complaint about Louisville is that you really can't have fun in Boulder (bars, house parties) without a designated driver. This will matter more to some than others. I can take an easy bus to Pearl or to the football stadium. And if you live in North Boulder you can walk.

Sure, Louisville is cheaper. Pufer has done a good job identifying the major trade-offs. If you don't mind driving everywhere and living in family-town USA--Louisville is a good option.

bananeez
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:47 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby bananeez » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:40 pm

rekopter wrote:Another perspective on where to live:

I have a great place in South Boulder. The bus is completely convenient (I didn't have a car my first year) to get to school, downtown, and even Denver. I am *minutes* from the foothills, a 5 minute drive from school, an 8 minute drive from the Costco shopping area Pufer references.

My biggest complaint about Louisville is that you really can't have fun in Boulder (bars, house parties) without a designated driver. This will matter more to some than others. I can take an easy bus to Pearl or to the football stadium. And if you live in North Boulder you can walk.

Sure, Louisville is cheaper. Pufer has done a good job identifying the major trade-offs. If you don't mind driving everywhere and living in family-town USA--Louisville is a good option.


Completely agree with the points here. Where do you live? Table Mesa area?

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby krad » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:56 pm

rekopter wrote: family-town USA--Louisville


This is why I initially decided against Louisville even though I work right over in Broomfield. I needed the younger vibe of Denver (found places for less $ than Boulder).

User avatar
fundamentallybroken
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:12 pm

(Posting this in the DU thread as well, because, hey, why not?!)

Is it too early to start talking about unofficial ASD happy hours? I mean, if Chrisbru, and Oldhippy, and everyone else is coming out to Denver/Boulder, why not try to get together outside of the 'official' activities?

User avatar
stlisforlovers
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby stlisforlovers » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:14 pm

I should be at the March 4 one. Drinks?

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby oldhippie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:22 pm

i'm totally in for this but i'm going to the april one...but a TLS happy hour seems like a necessity for sure!!!!

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:44 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:(Posting this in the DU thread as well, because, hey, why not?!)

Is it too early to start talking about unofficial ASD happy hours? I mean, if Chrisbru, and Oldhippy, and everyone else is coming out to Denver/Boulder, why not try to get together outside of the 'official' activities?



Are you going in March? I'm definitely in for a happy hour(s)! Nightlife is a very important part of touring :-)

User avatar
fundamentallybroken
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:00 pm

chrisbru wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:(Posting this in the DU thread as well, because, hey, why not?!)

Is it too early to start talking about unofficial ASD happy hours? I mean, if Chrisbru, and Oldhippy, and everyone else is coming out to Denver/Boulder, why not try to get together outside of the 'official' activities?



Are you going in March? I'm definitely in for a happy hour(s)! Nightlife is a very important part of touring :-)


I'm already in Denver, so (if I'm accepted) I'd be up for either/both. And if I'm not accepted, there's always DU for ASHH!

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby krad » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:02 pm

Down for any and all as long as I'm in town!! :mrgreen:

User avatar
Pufer
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:32 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby Pufer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:13 pm

JakeL wrote:This is actually a pretty serious concern for me. CU would easily be my top choice with a nice scholarship, but worried that they won't get that stuff out by the time seat deposits are due for other schools. I'm sure they will get them to us with time, but don't like waiting...


They'll get them out in time for seat deposits. You shouldn't plan on a month to decide, but you'll have a couple weeks at least.


rekopter wrote:Another perspective on where to live:

I have a great place in South Boulder. The bus is completely convenient (I didn't have a car my first year) to get to school, downtown, and even Denver. I am *minutes* from the foothills, a 5 minute drive from school, an 8 minute drive from the Costco shopping area Pufer references.

My biggest complaint about Louisville is that you really can't have fun in Boulder (bars, house parties) without a designated driver. This will matter more to some than others. I can take an easy bus to Pearl or to the football stadium. And if you live in North Boulder you can walk.

Sure, Louisville is cheaper. Pufer has done a good job identifying the major trade-offs. If you don't mind driving everywhere and living in family-town USA--Louisville is a good option.


If you want to have roommates, south Boulder along Broadway really is about the best option, for the reasons that rekopter mentions. Indeed, if rekopter's place had air conditioning, most people would have a hard time finding a better place to live anywhere. The issue, at least for me, would be that you'd have to have roommates, which is something I've never had before, and didn't want to start having in law school. There are few single-resident housing solutions that are affordable and available with any frequency down by rekopter (it's all townhomes and houses, with a couple mostly-owner-occupied condo buildings here and there). There are a few pretty run-down rental houses in the area, but most rentals are reasonably solid.

-Pufer

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby oldhippie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:23 pm

yay! i'm glad to hear that at least 2 of y'all will be there for the april ASD since it is going to be the less popular of the 2 days i think...if nothing else, we'll have a mini happy hour :D

User avatar
SherlockHolmes
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby SherlockHolmes » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:25 pm

I really wish Colorado would give me a decision soon :(




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”