CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tropicalpeach
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:24 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby tropicalpeach » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:55 am

I applied just over 2 weeks ago and have yet to even receive a confirmation email.....

User avatar
fundamentallybroken
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby fundamentallybroken » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:19 pm

chrisbru wrote:Well... I got waitlisted at Minnesota today. So Colorado has officially moved into the sole contender #1 spot on my list. I don't even think I'm going to visit Minneapolis schools anymore, despite the generous scholarship at a TTT there.

Here's hoping for some mail this week! I need some good news to finish off my cycle.


Chris,

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your waitlist to Minnesota! Seriously, it's cold there. Really cold.

And have you heard the way those people speak? You're better off in Colorado, land of the nuetral accent.

snowfight
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby snowfight » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:22 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
snowfight wrote:In! yay no fear from the skinny little envelope. Now - money?
And - should I go here if I don't get any money (though I'm hoping I do) or to Lewis and Clark with $25k? hmmm....


Would you get in-state tuition with CU? Where do you want to practice?

I would do some calculation of cost-of-living expenses too and if you can, visit both places. You will likely be living in said area for longer than three years seeing as both of these schools are regional.

Also for anyone who currently attends the school, how are the Tantra Lake apartments? Are they within biking/walking distance of the law school?

I probably should ask this in the "discuss your law school thread" but there really isn't an active thread right now, like last year. I looked at it for housing, but I don't remember anything about the Tantra Lake apartments.



thanks queenlizzie13 - I'd be out of state for the first year, but looks like I'd qualify for in-state for the second two years (I think anyone would as long as they keep a mailing address in CO all year long - and if I have to shell out a couple hundred for an apartment over the summer that I won't be in (but maybe I will be there) to save a couple thousand on tuition for the following year, I'd do it). I really want to work at a non-profit environmental advocacy group, like earth justice. Hence the debate between here and Lewis and Clark and no where in between. I've visited both places and I would def be happy in both. For me it's lewis and clark's animal law clinic vs. way nicer weather in Boulder (and, at the moment, the money - though I'm hoping that might change). I don't know if I would have a better chance in getting a job after school if I went to L&C or CU. Then again, the money makes a big difference as if CU doesn't give me any money I might not be able to afford to take a job with earth justice and the like if I have big loans to pay off. I may eventually want to make my way back to the east coast, but probably not for a couple years after I graduate.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby chrisbru » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:34 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Well... I got waitlisted at Minnesota today. So Colorado has officially moved into the sole contender #1 spot on my list. I don't even think I'm going to visit Minneapolis schools anymore, despite the generous scholarship at a TTT there.

Here's hoping for some mail this week! I need some good news to finish off my cycle.


Chris,

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your waitlist to Minnesota! Seriously, it's cold there. Really cold.

And have you heard the way those people speak? You're better off in Colorado, land of the nuetral accent.



Such a good point. Now, if I could just have you convince my gf that Colorado > Minneapolis, despite the fact that it's a much longer drive from the parents and it wouldn't be reasonable to live together in CO (she'd be going to CSU)....

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12706
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby LeDique » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:45 pm

snowfight wrote:thanks queenlizzie13 - I'd be out of state for the first year, but looks like I'd qualify for in-state for the second two years (I think anyone would as long as they keep a mailing address in CO all year long - and if I have to shell out a couple hundred for an apartment over the summer that I won't be in (but maybe I will be there) to save a couple thousand on tuition for the following year, I'd do it). I really want to work at a non-profit environmental advocacy group, like earth justice. Hence the debate between here and Lewis and Clark and no where in between. I've visited both places and I would def be happy in both. For me it's lewis and clark's animal law clinic vs. way nicer weather in Boulder (and, at the moment, the money - though I'm hoping that might change). I don't know if I would have a better chance in getting a job after school if I went to L&C or CU. Then again, the money makes a big difference as if CU doesn't give me any money I might not be able to afford to take a job with earth justice and the like if I have big loans to pay off. I may eventually want to make my way back to the east coast, but probably not for a couple years after I graduate.


I don't want to be a downer here - but you should really be considering what will happen at each of those schools if you don't get that clinic/the jobs you want. Maybe that will help you decide.

User avatar
fundamentallybroken
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby fundamentallybroken » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:49 pm

chrisbru wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Well... I got waitlisted at Minnesota today. So Colorado has officially moved into the sole contender #1 spot on my list. I don't even think I'm going to visit Minneapolis schools anymore, despite the generous scholarship at a TTT there.

Here's hoping for some mail this week! I need some good news to finish off my cycle.


Chris,

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your waitlist to Minnesota! Seriously, it's cold there. Really cold.

And have you heard the way those people speak? You're better off in Colorado, land of the nuetral accent.



Such a good point. Now, if I could just have you convince my gf that Colorado > Minneapolis, despite the fact that it's a much longer drive from the parents and it wouldn't be reasonable to live together in CO (she'd be going to CSU)....


Two things to tell your gf:

1. Colorado has sunshine, in the winter. Minneapolis has tunnels and walkways between buildings so you don't have to go outside during the winter months (which, last I checked, are October through May in MN). Yesterday, January 23, we washed the car and I walked with my son for an hour and a half while he rode his tricycle. In January - without coats!

2. There are plenty of housing options between CSU and CU that would make a cohabitation doable. You could live in Longmont (which, despite what some people might say, is a really cool little town), and neither one of you would have a very long commute. And you would save a ton on rent over what you would pay in Boulder. Yeah, you won't be riding your bike to school, but it's a workable solution.

(Look at that, it's almost like I'm rationalizing staying here myself!)

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby chrisbru » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:52 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
Two things to tell your gf:

1. Colorado has sunshine, in the winter. Minneapolis has tunnels and walkways between buildings so you don't have to go outside during the winter months (which, last I checked, are October through May in MN). Yesterday, January 23, we washed the car and I walked with my son for an hour and a half while he rode his tricycle. In January - without coats!

2. There are plenty of housing options between CSU and CU that would make a cohabitation doable. You could live in Longmont (which, despite what some people might say, is a really cool little town), and neither one of you would have a very long commute. And you would save a ton on rent over what you would pay in Boulder. Yeah, you won't be riding your bike to school, but it's a workable solution.

(Look at that, it's almost like I'm rationalizing staying here myself!)


Lol, love it.

On that note, do you not feel living close to the school is that important? What is parking like, both convenience and cost?

User avatar
fundamentallybroken
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby fundamentallybroken » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:57 pm

chrisbru wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:
Two things to tell your gf:

1. Colorado has sunshine, in the winter. Minneapolis has tunnels and walkways between buildings so you don't have to go outside during the winter months (which, last I checked, are October through May in MN). Yesterday, January 23, we washed the car and I walked with my son for an hour and a half while he rode his tricycle. In January - without coats!

2. There are plenty of housing options between CSU and CU that would make a cohabitation doable. You could live in Longmont (which, despite what some people might say, is a really cool little town), and neither one of you would have a very long commute. And you would save a ton on rent over what you would pay in Boulder. Yeah, you won't be riding your bike to school, but it's a workable solution.

(Look at that, it's almost like I'm rationalizing staying here myself!)


Lol, love it.

On that note, do you not feel living close to the school is that important? What is parking like, both convenience and cost?


Not sure how parking is at/near the CU campus, but the region has a pretty solid bus system, with free park and rides if you live in the district (which, unless you're in Colorado Springs or Cheyenne, WY, you'll be in the district). I looked up Longmont to the CU campus, and it's one bus, the J, roughly 50 minute trip (which, by bus, isn't that bad!)

http://www3.rtd-denver.com/tripplanner/getGoogleTrip.action?origin=landmark&destination=landmark&returnTrip=false&tripPlannerServiceName=&tripPlannerServiceType=CURRENT&tripPlannerSelect=google&pFromIntersection1=&pFromIntersection2=&pFromStreet=&landmarkOriginCategories=10&landmarkOriginLandmarks=Longmont+Park-N-Ride@1844072%2C3111118&pFromWalkingDistance=4&pToIntersection1=&pToIntersection2=&pToStreet=&landmarkDestinCategories=4&landmarkDestinLandmarks=University+Of+Colorado+-+Boulder@1791347%2C3063794&pToWalkingDistance=4&pWhen=dep&googleDay=01%2F24%2F2011&pDay=1&hour=8&minute=53&ampm=a&pIncludeDataField=&pExcludeDataField=&pPreference=2

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby oldhippie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:03 pm

yeah, i'm curious to hear more takes on this as well...we are not planning on living in boulder itself but one of the outlying towns and i'm hoping it won't be a huge disadvantage to not be real close to campus. any thoughts are appreciated!

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby chrisbru » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:07 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:
Two things to tell your gf:

1. Colorado has sunshine, in the winter. Minneapolis has tunnels and walkways between buildings so you don't have to go outside during the winter months (which, last I checked, are October through May in MN). Yesterday, January 23, we washed the car and I walked with my son for an hour and a half while he rode his tricycle. In January - without coats!

2. There are plenty of housing options between CSU and CU that would make a cohabitation doable. You could live in Longmont (which, despite what some people might say, is a really cool little town), and neither one of you would have a very long commute. And you would save a ton on rent over what you would pay in Boulder. Yeah, you won't be riding your bike to school, but it's a workable solution.

(Look at that, it's almost like I'm rationalizing staying here myself!)


Lol, love it.

On that note, do you not feel living close to the school is that important? What is parking like, both convenience and cost?


Not sure how parking is at/near the CU campus, but the region has a pretty solid bus system, with free park and rides if you live in the district (which, unless you're in Colorado Springs or Cheyenne, WY, you'll be in the district). I looked up Longmont to the CU campus, and it's one bus, the J, roughly 50 minute trip (which, by bus, isn't that bad!)

http://www3.rtd-denver.com/tripplanner/getGoogleTrip.action?origin=landmark&destination=landmark&returnTrip=false&tripPlannerServiceName=&tripPlannerServiceType=CURRENT&tripPlannerSelect=google&pFromIntersection1=&pFromIntersection2=&pFromStreet=&landmarkOriginCategories=10&landmarkOriginLandmarks=Longmont+Park-N-Ride@1844072%2C3111118&pFromWalkingDistance=4&pToIntersection1=&pToIntersection2=&pToStreet=&landmarkDestinCategories=4&landmarkDestinLandmarks=University+Of+Colorado+-+Boulder@1791347%2C3063794&pToWalkingDistance=4&pWhen=dep&googleDay=01%2F24%2F2011&pDay=1&hour=8&minute=53&ampm=a&pIncludeDataField=&pExcludeDataField=&pPreference=2



Eek, 50 minute bus ride? Fuck that. I currently commute 45 minutes to work via car and can't stand it.

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12706
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby LeDique » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:12 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Eek, 50 minute bus ride? Fuck that. I currently commute 45 minutes to work via car and can't stand it.


50 by bus - I'd bet that's 20-30 if you drive yourself.

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby krad » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:33 pm

You could sleep or study on a bus, though :)

I've considered staying in Denver (living with the SO currently) and commuting to B on the bus (driving once in a while) if I end up staying...

E: Whoops, meant this for FundamentallB, I see what you did there. I like your reasons for Chris's SO to come to CO!
Last edited by krad on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fundamentallybroken
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby fundamentallybroken » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:34 pm

LeDique wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Eek, 50 minute bus ride? Fuck that. I currently commute 45 minutes to work via car and can't stand it.


50 by bus - I'd bet that's 20-30 if you drive yourself.


About 30 by car, slightly longer if you're stuck in the Boulder/Longmont 'rush' hours.

I guess I'm used to the bus commute - been doing it for years now. Plus, when you're driving it's really hard to review class notes and whatnot!

User avatar
fundamentallybroken
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby fundamentallybroken » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:38 pm

krad wrote:You could sleep or study on a bus, though :)

I've considered staying in Denver (living with the SO currently) and commuting to B on the bus (driving once in a while) if I end up staying...

And LeDique, I see what you did there. I like your reasons for Chris's SO to come to CO!


Yep - if I go to B I'll stay living in Denver. Of course, I own a house, so it would make it easier to not have to sell and move!

Plus, I've pretty much built my life around the bus - jump on with my son in the morning a block from my house, get off at his school, walk the few blocks into downtown, jump on the mall shuttle to my building, then reverse it in the evening. Going to Boulder, I'd just switch the mall shuttle for the Denver/Boulder regional!

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby oldhippie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:45 pm

i think a bus would be great - extra time to read or relax and you wouldn't have to drive in the winter ugliness! how do the buses fare when there's snow?

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby chrisbru » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:01 pm

oldhippie wrote:i think a bus would be great - extra time to read or relax and you wouldn't have to drive in the winter ugliness! how do the buses fare when there's snow?



You all make some good points... I didn't consider using bus time to study. That might make it worthwhile!

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby krad » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:07 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:Yep - if I go to B I'll stay living in Denver. Of course, I own a house, so it would make it easier to not have to sell and move!

Plus, I've pretty much built my life around the bus - jump on with my son in the morning a block from my house, get off at his school, walk the few blocks into downtown, jump on the mall shuttle to my building, then reverse it in the evening. Going to Boulder, I'd just switch the mall shuttle for the Denver/Boulder regional!


Sorry, that comment was supposed to be directed at you :) I would be taking that D/B Ex bus for sure! It sounds like your routine wouldn't change too much. Mine would be amazing- no more driving to Bfield everyday from downtown- wooooo!

User avatar
fundamentallybroken
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby fundamentallybroken » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:10 pm

krad wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:Yep - if I go to B I'll stay living in Denver. Of course, I own a house, so it would make it easier to not have to sell and move!

Plus, I've pretty much built my life around the bus - jump on with my son in the morning a block from my house, get off at his school, walk the few blocks into downtown, jump on the mall shuttle to my building, then reverse it in the evening. Going to Boulder, I'd just switch the mall shuttle for the Denver/Boulder regional!


Sorry, that comment was supposed to be directed at you :) I would be taking that D/B Ex bus for sure! It sounds like your routine wouldn't change too much. Mine would be amazing- no more driving to Bfield everyday from downtown- wooooo!


Yeah, I made the Denver to Boulder drive for work for about a year and a half, and would not want to start that again - the bus is far easier!

ptblazer
Posts: 376
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:27 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby ptblazer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:19 pm

oldhippie wrote:yeah, i'm curious to hear more takes on this as well...we are not planning on living in boulder itself but one of the outlying towns and i'm hoping it won't be a huge disadvantage to not be real close to campus. any thoughts are appreciated!


I've actually been thinking about this as well. Obviously there is a lot to be said about living close to the campus, which would allow you to take full advantage of all that the school offers. If this were undergrad I would say it was absolutely necessary to live near by (or at least in your interest), but this isn't.
From a pure academic standpoint I can't see a huge advantage. The times that you need to use the school's resources will just mean you need to plan ahead so that you aren't making frequent trips.

bananeez
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:47 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby bananeez » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:54 pm

oldhippie wrote:i think a bus would be great - extra time to read or relax and you wouldn't have to drive in the winter ugliness! how do the buses fare when there's snow?


In general, Boulder handles snow really, really well. Because the city is used to it, anticipates it well, and has all the right equipment. From my experience, it takes a big storm to stop the buses... Some people even consider them a safer option when there is snow on the ground.
Last edited by bananeez on Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby oldhippie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:57 pm

great - i was planning to count on mass transit as much as possible come fall!! and i've been in the south for 8 years, so my snow-driving skills need to be sharpened before i try to get my butt to an 8am class in a snowstorm :)

bananeez
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:47 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby bananeez » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:01 pm

ptblazer wrote:
oldhippie wrote:yeah, i'm curious to hear more takes on this as well...we are not planning on living in boulder itself but one of the outlying towns and i'm hoping it won't be a huge disadvantage to not be real close to campus. any thoughts are appreciated!


I've actually been thinking about this as well. Obviously there is a lot to be said about living close to the campus, which would allow you to take full advantage of all that the school offers. If this were undergrad I would say it was absolutely necessary to live near by (or at least in your interest), but this isn't.
From a pure academic standpoint I can't see a huge advantage. The times that you need to use the school's resources will just mean you need to plan ahead so that you aren't making frequent trips.


I think I plan on living in Boulder if I go to CU. Mostly because I absolutely love Boulder, and know I'll spend a lot more time there if I actually live there. Also, for getting drinks, say on the Hill or Pearl, I'll want to be not far from home. And I think I'll be more into joining clubs, the gym, etc., if I'm right there. But really -- I just really, really love and miss Boulder.

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby krad » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:04 pm

oldhippie wrote:great - i was planning to count on mass transit as much as possible come fall!! and i've been in the south for 8 years, so my snow-driving skills need to be sharpened before i try to get my butt to an 8am class in a snowstorm :)


Haha yeah my first winter here after growing up in FL and UG in SoCal was an eye opener.

This past weekend I drove up snowboarding and took my 2WD Jeep (yes, they exist, yes, I get a ton of sht for having one in CO, and yes, I bought it while living in LA and being from FL haha) through a whiteout over the divide. I can drive in anything now, wow, what a few winters can do!

To clarify, my Jeep has studded snow tires on the drive wheels (RWD) and regular snow tires on the front. It's pretty as invincible as it's going to get at this point :mrgreen:

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby oldhippie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:13 pm

that's a relief!! i have a 2WD truck and can't afford to get a new one - i was planning to use snow tires and gut my way around, sounds like that may work!

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:22 pm

oldhippie wrote:that's a relief!! i have a 2WD truck and can't afford to get a new one - i was planning to use snow tires and gut my way around, sounds like that may work!

The main thing I would worry about with a RWD truck is grtting traction with the rear tires. My friend who spent his UG in Ithaca would always load his bed with sandbags to put some weight on the rear axle.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: call-me-bubbles, Christinabruin and 19 guests