CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
oldhippie

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby oldhippie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:08 am

random question for posters who live or have recently lived in/near boulder....cell phone coverage? it's time for a new contract and before i lock into anything, i'm wondering if there are providers who get good or notoriously bad coverage up there in the mountains...any thoughts?
(i realize this is not admission related, please forgive me :) but no one is on the CU Boulder class of 2014 thread yet so i didn't know where else to ask!)

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:31 am

oldhippie wrote:random question for posters who live or have recently lived in/near boulder....cell phone coverage? it's time for a new contract and before i lock into anything, i'm wondering if there are providers who get good or notoriously bad coverage up there in the mountains...any thoughts?
(i realize this is not admission related, please forgive me :) but no one is on the CU Boulder class of 2014 thread yet so i didn't know where else to ask!)

I'm pretty sure we have the same coverage as most mid-to-large metro areas. 3G is widely available, and 4G is moving in pretty quickly for AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon (I'm an Android guy, so I'll let the iphone fanboys tell you how good it is here!)

As far as mountains, the I-70 corridor (the major highway up to most resorts) has solid coverage all the way to at least Vail (about an hour and a half in). Not sure about the minor byways, but I'm pretty sure coverage is spotty no matter who you have.

Congrats on your acceptance, and congrats on making the decision to move to Colorado!

krad

Postby krad » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:34 am

I second Fund's post. I have an iphone (not a huge fangirl but I like it decently) and in some areas coverage is perfect and in others it's awful- pretty comparable to most major metro areas for AT&T. I did get a letter from AT&T recently saying they were spending some amount of $ to improve their coverage in Denver/Boulder... I tend to drop calls every once in a while driving the 36 corridor between D and B.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:48 am

thanks, guys!
we are finally going to make the move to some kind of smart phone, so i wanted to make sure that if i get an android or iphone, i won't have wasted my money on a toy that won't work! but it sounds like coverage is pretty good overall, so i may take the plunge...
i'll have to peruse the forums about smartphones to make a final decision :D
i'm annoyingly excited about all of this

krad

Postby krad » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:50 am

oldhippie wrote:thanks, guys!
we are finally going to make the move to some kind of smart phone, so i wanted to make sure that if i get an android or iphone, i won't have wasted my money on a toy that won't work! but it sounds like coverage is pretty good overall, so i may take the plunge...

You have every right to be annoyingly excited :)

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:57 am

Get the Droid X. It smokes the iPhone and that's coming from a dedicated Mac guy.

Your welcome.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:03 am

my brother just got the newest droid and LOVES it......
ok, i'm totally derailing the thread....back to the angst of wondering what's taking so long for letters!!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:48 pm

One more, one more! I didn't get to input!

Verizon service rocks. Everywhere I've been in Colorado (Denver, Colorado Springs, and on I-70/smaller byways to Breckenridge, Vail, Keystone, and Winter Park) and I haven't dropped service ever... This includes the back bowls at Keystone, the peak of Winter Park, etc.

As for the iPhone vs. Android debate... Are you a tinkerer? Or do you want a smartphone that does what it's supposed to do without much work on your end? For a casual user, or one that wants an easy, familiar interface.... iPhone all the way. I've used both extensively, and personally prefer the iPhone because of this. If you like to customize your phone a lot, go with Android phones, because you can do a lot more with the interface through "skins" and other layouts that are easily available.

Also, the App Store is much better maintained and the products are tested better. The android marketplace is cool because you can get a lot of apps that won't make it to the iPhone due to quality control. Another thing to remember is that Apple's App Store also typically gets apps first, and then they get ported to the android devices later.

yepyep

Postby yepyep » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:16 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:

Get the Droid X. It smokes the iPhone and that's coming from a dedicated Mac guy.

Your welcome.

I've had both. Droid=Dopeness

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:13 pm

thanks chrisbru, very helpful! i'm leaning towars verizon just because of past bad expriences with sprint...and thanks for the phone info, based on what you said, an iphone might be better just because i'm *ahem* mature and not as tech-savvy as some of you young'uns :D i've played around with both but don't know enough about what i'm playing around with to have a clear favorite yet...

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:32 pm

I just got an email today saying my application was complete and ready for review, which I already knew from previous emails with them. I'm wondering if this means that I'll have a decision soon. Did anyone else receive this email? Those of you who have had a decision did this email come weeks prior to your decision? It could also just be a mass email to those people who took the Dec. LSAT indicating that our files have been updated. But if that is the case then they sent it out about a week and a half later from when it actually had been updated.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:38 pm

ptblazer wrote:I just got an email today saying my application was complete and ready for review, which I already knew from previous emails with them. I'm wondering if this means that I'll have a decision soon. Did anyone else receive this email? Those of you who have had a decision did this email come weeks prior to your decision? It could also just be a mass email to those people who took the Dec. LSAT indicating that our files have been updated. But if that is the case then they sent it out about a week and a half later from when it actually had been updated.

If you gauge by others' experiences, you can now expect a letter in roughly 3 months!

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:25 pm

I'm in!!!! Oh man, SO SO HAPPY. November applicants -- check your mail today!!

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:28 pm

bananeez wrote:I'm in!!!! Oh man, SO SO HAPPY. November applicants -- check your mail today!!

Hey, hey! Congratulations!!

Were you one of the recipients of the Women's Law Day email, or is there still hope for the rest of us?

Nevermind, just went back through the thread. There is still hope for the rest of us!
Last edited by fundamentallybroken on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:29 pm

bananeez wrote:I'm in!!!! Oh man, SO SO HAPPY. November applicants -- check your mail today!!

congrats!! :D
here's hoping for lots of good news for folks in the mail today!!

krad

Postby krad » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:31 pm

Congrats Bananeez!!!

upfish

Postby upfish » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:32 pm

Congrats!

So far they're just doing ED applicants, right?

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:32 pm

upfish wrote:Congrats!

nope, a handful of RDs are already in...

upfish

Postby upfish » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:34 pm

oldhippie wrote:
upfish wrote:Congrats!

nope, a handful of RDs are already in...

Oh frick, then I am excited to check my mail too!! :D

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:34 pm

CONGRATS! Where are you located? I can't wait to check my mail the next few days!

krad

Postby krad » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:35 pm

:) Here's to hoping that something exciting is in my mailbox today. In other news, it went from a sketchy-looking morning to sunny day to now a wintery-looking afternoon; gotta love CO weather, dang, sooo unpredictable.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:42 pm

chrisbru wrote:

CONGRATS! Where are you located? I can't wait to check my mail the next few days!

Thanks for the warm wishes, guys!! And I'm really hoping for a good decision for all of you!

I'm in Washington, D.C., and I went complete Nov. 24.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:45 pm

bananeez wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Thanks for the warm wishes, guys!! And I'm really hoping for a good decision for all of you!

I'm in Washington, D.C., and I went complete Nov. 24.

Yes! That bodes well for me then... I'm in Seattle, WA and went complete 11/23.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:49 pm

exciting!!!!!!

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:50 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Yes! That bodes well for me then... I'm in Seattle, WA and went complete 11/23.

Fingers crossed for all of you!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”