CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
oldhippie

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby oldhippie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:21 am

not sure yet - the only real deciding factor will be if there is a difference in price for tickets i think....
are you going? and if so, do you know when?
(congrats, by the way! i missed when you got the letter, but i figured it was coming since you got the email!)

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:36 am

oldhippie wrote:not sure yet - the only real deciding factor will be if there is a difference in price for tickets i think....
are you going? and if so, do you know when?
(congrats, by the way! i missed when you got the letter, but i figured it was coming since you got the email!)

Thanks! Congrats to you, as well! :D I am going to the March one because I think the April one is just too late since some of my schools have an April 1st deposit deadline and I'd like to make my decision before then. I'm booking my ticket before Jan. 26th so I can use a discount I have. I'd prefer to wait until we got scholarship info, but I have a feeling we won't be hearing for awhile. I'm excited to see some snow! :D

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:43 am

In.

krad

Postby krad » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:45 am

Hi friends! Long weekend is over and the mail is coming back today yayyy!

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:58 am

krad wrote:Hi friends! Long weekend is over and the mail is coming back today yayyy!

GOOD LUCK!

and congrats, whitman! so understated :wink:

krad

Postby krad » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:01 am

oldhippie wrote:
krad wrote:Hi friends! Long weekend is over and the mail is coming back today yayyy!

GOOD LUCK!

and congrats, whitman! so understated :wink:

Ditto to whitman!

LOVING the new pic oldhippie!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:44 am

I hope a letter comes this week! I'd love to buy a flight for ASW. I'm thinking March too. Anyone else going?

krad

Postby krad » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:46 am

If I'm in I'm sure I'll be there since it's just up the road :)

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:01 pm

i have to go to the april ASD.......so everyone should do that, too :wink:
seriously though, southwest airlines doesn't start in charleston until 3/14 and the fare is WAAAAY less than anything else i can get, so i'm definitely stuck going to the one in april...
hope to meet some of y'all there!!!
(and i started my very first thread ever in the class of 2014 forum for anyone who wants to join in :) )

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:07 pm

Has anyone else joined the CU class of 2014 facebook page? If not, you should :D You can find the link on the admitted student site.

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:27 pm

hahaha, yeah I suppose that was a touch understated. I love Boulder and want nothing more than to ride Lefthand Canyon until my head explodes. But the job prospects do worry me a little bit. Are you guys feeling pretty good about it all? I want to go into environmental law.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:37 pm

whitman wrote:hahaha, yeah I suppose that was a touch understated. I love Boulder and want nothing more than to ride Lefthand Canyon until my head explodes. But the job prospects do worry me a little bit. Are you guys feeling pretty good about it all? I want to go into environmental law.

Did you get a letter today? When did you go complete?

krad

Postby krad » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:46 pm

whitman wrote:hahaha, yeah I suppose that was a touch understated. I love Boulder and want nothing more than to ride Lefthand Canyon until my head explodes. But the job prospects do worry me a little bit. Are you guys feeling pretty good about it all? I want to go into environmental law.

They worry me, too. As a CO resident, it is going to be a rough decision if I'm in vs. where I'm already in... :|

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:49 pm

krad wrote:

They worry me, too. As a CO resident, it is going to be a rough decision if I'm in vs. where I'm already in... :|

Maybe this is my lack of knowledge speaking, but from what I can tell the job prospects in CO out of either of the two law schools are better than any of the rest of the midwest. Denver has a bigger legal market than St. Louis and Minneapolis, and isn't saturated like Chicago is. It would be MUCH easier (in my opinion) to get a job in Denver coming out of DU or CU than getting a job in Chicago coming out of anywhere except U Chi or NU.

Any opinions on this?

krad

Postby krad » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:59 pm

I don't consider CO the midwest...

Maybe this is where my issue stems from! That or the fact that I'm still holding a flame for a few huge reaches... :|

In all seriousness I'd like to hear others' input on your theory!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:01 pm

krad wrote:I don't consider CO the midwest...

Maybe this is where my issue stems from! That or the fact that I'm still holding a flame for a few huge reaches... :|

Sorry, delete my "rest" from the "rest of the midwest" statement. What I meant was job prospects in Denver coming out of a CO school are better than job prospects in the midwest coming out of a midwest school, except UC or NU.

Edit: I looked at your LSN instead of just your TLS profile... Now I see what you mean. If you get into NU, you'll have a good shot. Likewise, if you want to be on the west coast, you have some great options (assuming your cycle continues to go well!) I'd advise against UW... I don't think you'd like Seattle, plus the market here SUCKS and there are two law schools. It'd be like going to CU, but having 25% of the legal market to hire into. Also, there's nowhere close to go for any better markets, because Boise is ~8 hrs, Portland is ~4 hours, and I haven't heard anything good about those places either. I looked extensively into UW and Seattle U because I have friends that go to both, and wouldn't hate staying in Seattle... But the prospects are pretty bleak, and sun is SUPER rare. My Seasonal Affective Disorder is hard enough... Add in unemployment depression, and I would not be a fun person to be around :-)
Last edited by chrisbru on Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krad

Postby krad » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:04 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Sorry, delete my "rest" from the "rest of the midwest" statement. What I meant was job prospects in Denver coming out of a CO school are better than job prospects in the midwest coming out of a midwest school, except UC or NU.

Haha got it! It's hard for me too now that $ has come into play, and I don't know how much $ CU doles out... kind of amazing what $ will do.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:07 pm

yeah, i'm not thrilled about job prospects, but that's the case for just about any school i'd want to attend. and for me, the kicker is that i truly want to live in CO or nearby, so i'll take what i can get to be happy with the longer term picture. and i have my current career to fall back on if this doesn't work out:)

krad

Postby krad » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:27 pm

oldhippie wrote:yeah, i'm not thrilled about job prospects, but that's the case for just about any school i'd want to attend. and for me, the kicker is that i truly want to live in CO or nearby, so i'll take what i can get to be happy with the longer term picture. and i have my current career to fall back on if this doesn't work out:)

Ditto on the career deal, that's one thing that could keep me here :) I love CO but I just don't KNOW where I'd like to end up. Decisions decisions... Either way, CU is up there, regardless of job prospects because all places are facing job prospect difficulties ITE!

deja

Postby deja » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:04 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Edit: I looked at your LSN instead of just your TLS profile... Now I see what you mean. If you get into NU, you'll have a good shot. Likewise, if you want to be on the west coast, you have some great options (assuming your cycle continues to go well!) I'd advise against UW... I don't think you'd like Seattle, plus the market here SUCKS and there are two law schools. It'd be like going to CU, but having 25% of the legal market to hire into. Also, there's nowhere close to go for any better markets, because Boise is ~8 hrs, Portland is ~4 hours, and I haven't heard anything good about those places either. I looked extensively into UW and Seattle U because I have friends that go to both, and wouldn't hate staying in Seattle... But the prospects are pretty bleak, and sun is SUPER rare. My Seasonal Affective Disorder is hard enough... Add in unemployment depression, and I would not be a fun person to be around :-)

Chrisbru, what are your sources on the Seattle law job market? It's not that I question what you're saying - I'm just curious because UW is my top choice, but I'd like as much info as possible before making the decision, and it sounds like you're privy to some info on the legal job market up there. Thanks! (Can PM since it's not really related to this thread... sorry /derail)

krad

Postby krad » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:18 pm

chrisbru wrote: Edit: I looked at your LSN instead of just your TLS profile... Now I see what you mean. If you get into NU, you'll have a good shot. Likewise, if you want to be on the west coast, you have some great options (assuming your cycle continues to go well!) I'd advise against UW... I don't think you'd like Seattle, plus the market here SUCKS and there are two law schools. It'd be like going to CU, but having 25% of the legal market to hire into. Also, there's nowhere close to go for any better markets, because Boise is ~8 hrs, Portland is ~4 hours, and I haven't heard anything good about those places either. I looked extensively into UW and Seattle U because I have friends that go to both, and wouldn't hate staying in Seattle... But the prospects are pretty bleak, and sun is SUPER rare. My Seasonal Affective Disorder is hard enough... Add in unemployment depression, and I would not be a fun person to be around :-)

Just came across the edit! Yup this is what I meant (I was trying to avoid talk of my other schools ITT haha) :) I've still got a lot of my cycle to go, and I could really end up in any number of different areas of the country to which I have an interest or ties (assuming all goes well). Time will tell! Thanks for the thoughts on UW. I applied because I had an interest in the NW, but I've read more and more on how insular and small Seattle is looking... Blergh!

Still hoping for my CU letter today! SO and I are doing a sushi happy hour (yes we've got sushi in Denver!) so hopefully I'll have something to celebrate!

rockyIV

Postby rockyIV » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:44 pm

So is Colorado your first choice? Im assuming your from the area so I was just wondering if it was the location or the school your really interested in. I kept telling myself Colorado was my first choice, mainly for extra-curricular reasons ha, until I got accepted into a school I did not ever think I would get into.

I have some friends who live in Grand Junction and they love it to death, I just don't know if I am dead set on living in Colorado the rest of my life and I feel like I would be stuck in the southwest region if I attended CU (at least for a few years). I've never visited or even been in that region of the US so I can't really knock it before I try it, but I guess I am trying to ask if it is even worth considering with a t25 acceptance?

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:30 pm

This has come up a few times and it seems like it is always coming up on TLS, but I don't quite understand how attending a law school locks you into a region. I understand that the local connections and networking you'll make will make it easier to find employment, but beyond that I don't see how attending CU Boulder keeps you in the mountian west.

If you attended Boulder and wanted to work in DC, NY, Boston or Chicago you might have some issues, but I think that is a direct result of having top 5 law schools in the city or area to pick from. But if you wanted to look for work in other areas, CU Boulder is still a recognizable name and law firms would know where they are ranked overall. I don't think you have to work in Denver. I think the same goes for Washington and working outside the Pacific Northwest. My opinion is that the important thing is that you graduate high in your class and you attend a university that others will associate as a solid law school. If you do those things I don't see why you can't look for and find work anywhere you want.

upfish

Postby upfish » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:51 pm

ptblazer wrote:This has come up a few times and it seems like it is always coming up on TLS, but I don't quite understand how attending a law school locks you into a region. I understand that the local connections and networking you'll make will make it easier to find employment, but beyond that I don't see how attending CU Boulder keeps you in the mountian west.

If you attended Boulder and wanted to work in DC, NY, Boston or Chicago you might have some issues, but I think that is a direct result of having top 5 law schools in the city or area to pick from. But if you wanted to look for work in other areas, CU Boulder is still a recognizable name and law firms would know where they are ranked overall. I don't think you have to work in Denver. I think the same goes for Washington and working outside the Pacific Northwest. My opinion is that the important thing is that you graduate high in your class and you attend a university that others will associate as a solid law school. If you do those things I don't see why you can't look for and find work anywhere you want.

As I understand it, one of the most basic impediments is that most states do not offer reciprocity. So moving to another state to practice means retaking the bar.

Also, since your network is the primary source of your reputation and etc., you have to rebuild wherever you end up moving. So, you essentially are tied to a region post-grad, but could move after a few years in practice with moderate difficulty, I think.

(My only qualifications are asking a shitload of questions from TLS about starting out in TX and eventually moving to WA.)

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:53 pm

ptblazer wrote:This has come up a few times and it seems like it is always coming up on TLS, but I don't quite understand how attending a law school locks you into a region. I understand that the local connections and networking you'll make will make it easier to find employment, but beyond that I don't see how attending CU Boulder keeps you in the mountian west.

I generally agree with this... Except that you SHOULD consider where you want to live. If you don't know, that's fine, go to the school you enjoy the most. But for people like me who know they want to be in Denver or Minneapolis, it wouldn't make sense to go to a school like UW or USC or other top 50 regional schools. T14 will have the best national reach. The top school in the market will have the best placement in that market. But, if you don't know where you want to live after law school (or have a lot of options) then don't take that into consideration as much.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”