CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
brose

Re: UC Boulder 2011

Postby brose » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:43 pm

Barbie wrote:
chrisbru wrote:What do 1 and 2 bedroom apartments typically run? How's the bar scene? What's the best pass to get for the winter? I've heard the Epic pass is the best, and I do LOVE Breck and Keystone.

best PASS to get? What are you talking about? I'm confused hah

Ski pass

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:43 pm

Make sure you don't call it "UC Boulder". It's CU :P

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:48 pm

brose wrote:
Barbie wrote:
chrisbru wrote:What do 1 and 2 bedroom apartments typically run? How's the bar scene? What's the best pass to get for the winter? I've heard the Epic pass is the best, and I do LOVE Breck and Keystone.

best PASS to get? What are you talking about? I'm confused hah

Ski pass

Oooohhhh.. I've seen snow maybe twice in my life. My bad :D haha

mapes

Postby mapes » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:24 pm

Housing varies hugely. I currently pay 750 and have 3 roommates. East of campus you can generally find cheaper than that (if you are willing to have roommates). Boulder in general is a very very expensive town to live in for its size... Some time ago they created some law that disallows any new residential building.

The bar scene is great. The Dark Horse is a saloonie type place with great deals on drinks, and is only about a 5 minute walk from the law school. Pearl street is packed with great restaurants and bars for anyone's taste. There are also a few good bars on "the hill" which is where many undergrads hang out.

In terms of what pass (the poster is referring to a ski pass) to get, it depends on how much you're willing to shell out... I have the epic, and it is fabulous and well worth the investment (pushing 600 dollars), but you can spend less than that (like 450) and get the normal colorado pass (you get 10 days at vail with this one instead of the unlimited access with the epic). So it depends on if you're planning on spending more than ten days skiing at vail!

Edit: I know people paying 1400 for a one bedroom, and I have a buddy paying 750 for a one bedroom also (he is a ways from campus but its a decent place).
Last edited by mapes on Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:27 pm

Okay I have a few dumb questions about the ski pass. Can you snow board too? (Not that I know how to do either of these things). And is it pretty much so you can just go ski/snowboard whenver you want? and do most people own skis and stuff, or do you rent them? And how far of a drive is it from the law school to do all this?

And wow 750 with that many roommates is really pricey!

zrcm18

Postby zrcm18 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:31 pm

Barbie wrote:Okay I have a few dumb questions about the ski pass. Can you snow board too? (Not that I know how to do either of these things). And is it pretty much so you can just go ski/snowboard whenver you want? and do most people own skis and stuff, or do you rent them? And how far of a drive is it from the law school to do all this?

And wow 750 with that many roommates is really pricey!

Yep if you live in Colorado, you either ski or snowboard. It's cheaper to buy your own gear b/c renting isn't very cheap. There are several passes out there you can buy, I think the Elite pass covers 5 or 6 resorts.....you can get to most of the slopes in about 1 1/2 hours....

Snowboarding is the way to go....

mapes

Postby mapes » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:34 pm

Breckenridge (a popular ski destination) is about an hour and a half or two hour drive from Boulder. And yes, if you buy one of the passes i mentioned you can ski whenever you want without paying. The snowboard question actually isn't that dumb. The answer is yes, you can snowboard anywhere also, but not too long ago some of the mountains wouldn't let snowboarders on! Kind of like Johnny Tsunami haha. If you are planning on just going up a few times and buying individual tickets, it would be cheaper to just rent equipment. but if you are going to shell out for a pass, and ski/board a lot, it will be MUCH cheaper to buy your own equipment.

And yes, I pay way too much for rent. Again, i pay about average, but housing can be found for cheaper.

Another note on housing... IT GOES QUICKLY. Leases are already being signed for August! So if you do choose to go to CU make sure you put your foot on the gas right away to find housing.

krad

Postby krad » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:46 pm

Denver resident here, big boarder.

For you skiers/boarders in school, how often do yall make it up? Get many weekdays up there with school schedules? ...because that would be baller.

RE: posts above mine:

I have the CO Pass/5 mountain instead of the EPIC. I travel a lot for work so making it all the way up to Vail/BC for >10 days is really a challenge for me; I didn't feel like shelling out the extra hundo or whatever it is now, esp since they included Tahoe days on the 5 mtn.

Rent gear to try/learn before you buy it guhhhhhh! I've seen a few people go gung ho and then not like it. Gear + pass = big investment, especially for a law student.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:47 pm

Thanks for answering! and I would totally relate to Johnny Tsunami moving from the beach to Colorado... except I would need approx. 30 lessons to even learn how to stand up on a snow board haha-- which leads me to my next question: can you get lessons? Or should I just bat my eyelashes and hope someone will take pity on me? haha.

krad

Postby krad » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:48 pm

mapes wrote:Breckenridge (a popular ski destination) is about an hour and a half or two hour drive from Boulder. And yes, if you buy one of the passes i mentioned you can ski whenever you want without paying. The snowboard question actually isn't that dumb. The answer is yes, you can snowboard anywhere also, but not too long ago some of the mountains wouldn't let snowboarders on! Kind of like Johnny Tsunami haha. If you are planning on just going up a few times and buying individual tickets, it would be cheaper to just rent equipment. but if you are going to shell out for a pass, and ski/board a lot, it will be MUCH cheaper to buy your own equipment.

And yes, I pay way too much for rent. Again, i pay about average, but housing can be found for cheaper.

Another note on housing... IT GOES QUICKLY. Leases are already being signed for August! So if you do choose to go to CU make sure you put your foot on the gas right away to find housing.

Ugh try Alta in UT- skiers only. One of the last 3 mtns in the US to be skier only. I had some buddies that lived/worked up in Park City and they used to sneak into Alta to board. If they catch boarders on the mountain they'll pull any of your passes for the season :shock: skiers... haha

krad

Postby krad » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:49 pm

Barbie wrote:Thanks for answering! and I would totally relate to Johnny Tsunami moving from the beach to Colorado... except I would need approx. 30 lessons to even learn how to stand up on a snow board haha-- which leads me to my next question: can you get lessons? Or should I just bat my eyelashes and hope someone will take pity on me? haha.

Lessons can be pricey but I'd say at least one or two are worth it. I am originally from FL and spent time in CA before coming to CO... I took a lesson for my first day hah.

Barbie where are you from? It can def be hard to pick up, but I grew up wakeboarding and surfed and skated in CA so it wasn't too bad.

Edit: All it takes is perseverance if you're having fun...

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:55 pm

krad wrote:
Barbie wrote:Thanks for answering! and I would totally relate to Johnny Tsunami moving from the beach to Colorado... except I would need approx. 30 lessons to even learn how to stand up on a snow board haha-- which leads me to my next question: can you get lessons? Or should I just bat my eyelashes and hope someone will take pity on me? haha.

Lessons can be pricey but I'd say at least one or two are worth it. I am originally from FL and spent time in CA before coming to CO... I took a lesson for my first day hah.

Barbie where are you from? It can def be hard to pick up, but I grew up wakeboarding and surfed and skated in CA so it wasn't too bad.

I'm in s. Florida! But I don't know how to surf or skateboard, either haha. I've spent most my time tanning/watching. Doesn't seem as enticing to watch people snowboard (and get a ... windburn?) -- so I think I would have to try it out haha.

krad

Postby krad » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:59 pm

Barbie wrote:
krad wrote:

I'm in s. Florida! But I don't know how to surf or skateboard, either haha. I've spent most my time tanning/watching. Doesn't seem as enticing to watch people snowboard (and get a ... windburn?) -- so I think I would have to try it out haha.

Haha true. I miss the beach!!!

It's definitely not as much of a spectator sport, unless you're watching the pros (i.e. Aspen for the X Games!). Trying it is better than watching, and it's not a bad way to meet guys either! (Yes, I'm a girl... and if you met me you'd never guess that I'm a snowboarder/skater kid ;))

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:03 pm

I'm a snowboard instructor, so I'll teach you if you promise to be nice to me in class and not throw me under the bus when I contradict myself...

As far as the passes go, I definitely agree on getting the CO pass over Epic now that you've mentioned the difference. Vail is cool, yeah, but 10 days is PLENTY at Vail for the season. It's overcrowded and overdouchey IMHO. I'm from Iowa, but have spent at LEAST 4 days riding in CO since 8th grade, so I know my way around Keystone/Breck really well.

Rent sounds pretty pricey, but roughly the same as I pay here in Seattle (I live in a 4 bdrm place.) I mean, in the scheme of things, $500/month vs. $750/month is only $9k extra in loans over the course of three years... bahaha

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:06 pm

Well I'm 99% not getting into CU, but if by some miracle I do, I know who to holler at! ;)

and 9k is a car, btw :D

mapes

Postby mapes » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:30 pm

krad wrote:enver resident here, big boarder.

For you skiers/boarders in school, how often do yall make it up? Get many weekdays up there with school schedules? ...because that would be baller.

RE: posts above mine:

I have the CO Pass/5 mountain instead of the EPIC. I travel a lot for work so making it all the way up to Vail/BC for >10 days is really a challenge for me; I didn't feel like shelling out the extra hundo or whatever it is now, esp since they included Tahoe days on the 5 mtn.

Rent gear to try/learn before you buy it guhhhhhh! I've seen a few people go gung ho and then not like it. Gear + pass = big investment, especially for a law student.

I get up A LOT, and have for all the past 4 years. After christmas i get up most weekends... Its nice because there are a lot of rich kids with houses up there haha. Also yea i would not recommend the epic pass for a law student. I have a brother who lives in vail so i always have a place to stay, so it is very easy for me to get more than 10 days in there; but i know way too many people who buy the epic and then don't make the most of it. This year and last i've managed to squeeze my schedule into only mon, wed, fri, so i get up on weekdays too... waaaaayyyy less crowded. And yes, @ Barbie, don't buy a pass your first year if you come here, since you've never been skiing before... Buy a one or two day lift ticket, go up and just give it a whirl! I'm sure you will have classmates who would be glad to give you a lesson for free. If you hate it, there's always apres ski (the drinking, eating, and general antics that go on at the base of the mountain at the end of the day)!

mapes

Postby mapes » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:32 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Make sure you don't call it "UC Boulder". It's CU

Haha, thank you Bildungsroman. I'd like to get OP to change the thread title. It is offensive.

krad

Postby krad » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:36 pm

mapes wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Make sure you don't call it "UC Boulder". It's CU

Haha, thank you Bildungsroman. I'd like to get OP to change the thread title. It is offensive.

Can someone please make this happen?

In all seriousness I didn't even post in this thread until today because the 'UC Boulder' initially kept me from even reading it.

theavrock

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby theavrock » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:57 pm

done and done.

No offense intended.

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:34 am

mrwarre85 wrote:These employment stats are terrifying but very useful. Oh well I applied to a bunch of 20-80 schools and will go at sticker becuase I want to and I'm largely an idiot.

Sign me up.

Make that 2 of us. My GPA sucks though so I'll probably just end up at Denver because I know people. Very very sad.

EDIT: I went CU UG for awhile and lived in Boulder for 2 years, and have spent countless weekends there besides. I can answer questions about the area. Not the law school, obviously.

And if you don't ski or snowboard, fear not. I don't, and I've lived here my entire life.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:27 am

gobuffs10 wrote:
Make that 2 of us. My GPA sucks though so I'll probably just end up at Denver because I know people. Very very sad.

EDIT: I went CU UG for awhile and lived in Boulder for 2 years, and have spent countless weekends there besides. I can answer questions about the area. Not the law school, obviously.

And if you don't ski or snowboard, fear not. I don't, and I've lived here my entire life.

But that's such an awful waste of living space in CO if you don't ride... :-(

krad

Postby krad » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:27 pm

theavrock wrote:done and done.

No offense intended.

None taken!

Thanks for changing :D

And good luck!!

akili

Postby akili » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:14 am

I've never been snowboarding or downhill skiing before (I've done a little cross country), but you guys just got me totally psyched to do it!

stefpup

Postby stefpup » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:02 pm

I got an email yesterday (who knew admissions worked on Saturdays?) about my tuition classification. I guess this means that they've looked at my application now.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:15 pm

stefpup wrote:I got an email yesterday (who knew admissions worked on Saturdays?) about my tuition classification. I guess this means that they've looked at my application now.

I hope they look at mine too! I'm not expecting any decisions to come out until mid-January though, based on LSN.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”