CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GentlemanJim

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby GentlemanJim » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:14 pm

That looks like a pretty straightforward YP for you, artichoke.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:18 pm

akili wrote:
lilcalisunshine wrote:Akili with your new score your getting waitlisted is very very questionable, I wouldn't tell yourself you are already giving up if I were you and I were still interested in CU-Boulder. Call them and see if they had even RECEIVED your Dec score. Maybe your file didn't show you were taking the Dec test when sent your application! Is it possible you signed up for Dec after you sent it? I'm just thinking they probably would have waited for your Dec score had they known it was coming and an letter dated 1/7 wouldn't have had your score!

I did submit to CU in October, before I even took the October LSAT. I thought schools were notified of future pending LSATs, but I think I may have assumed incorrectly, lol. I am really glad I improved my score, because I would've been heartbroken by the waitlist before. I'm still sad and definitely going to investigate, but it'll be ok :)

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I appreciate it and I'll let you know what happens!

I don't think you assumed wrong. I applied before I decided to take the Dec. LSAT and my impression from contacts with admissions is that my file was "on hold" (so to speak) until they received my scores.

akili

Postby akili » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:31 pm

Haha it gets weirder and weirder. Maybe it was YP? But that doesn't make sense with the Jan 7th date. I don't get it.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:36 pm

akili wrote:Haha it gets weirder and weirder. Maybe it was YP? But that doesn't make sense with the Jan 7th date. I don't get it.

What does YP stand for? (forgive my ignorance, sort of new to TLS)

akili

Postby akili » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:56 pm

Yield protection. Schools waitlist candidates with numbers above the 75% that probably wouldn't attend and therefore protect their yield rate (a factor in deciding ranking). Check out American U on LSN from last cycle. It was ridiculous!

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:13 pm

Ahh... I see. I looked at American U and you're right, that is pretty incredible. It is almost shocking how precise their acceptance scores are. I suppose I can see why a school like American would do that. Being in a city with a couple higher ranked schools, it is probably safe to assume if you had the choice to go to two schools in the same city, you would choose the higher ranked one. But Boulder is the highest ranked law school for hundreds of miles. Sometimes location is really important to people. It is unfortunate that they do that and I feel bad for anyone who wants to attend a school that they basically over performed for.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:52 pm

Pufer wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Love it. Free drinks are definitely the way to my good graces :-) When I get to Boulder, I'm going to do my best to do 12 hour days Mon-Thurs, so as soon as the last class dismisses on Friday it's time to hit the slopes and the bottle.

1. You won't need to be doing 12 hour days (unless a legal writing assignment is due).
2. CU Law students start drinking on Thursday (traditionally, we have a few kegs of free beer in the commons on Thursday afternoon, then hit the bars afterwards - it is your duty to keep this going; the current 1Ls are failing at this miserably).

-Pufer

I would be honored to carry on this tradition. I love starting my weekend on Thursday.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:03 pm

theavrock wrote:
BeachedBrit wrote:artichoke, what is the state/country/thing in your avatar? Just wondering.

that my friend is the good ole' UP. Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Artichoke, you from up der eh?

Yup :D

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:08 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Pufer wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Love it. Free drinks are definitely the way to my good graces :-) When I get to Boulder, I'm going to do my best to do 12 hour days Mon-Thurs, so as soon as the last class dismisses on Friday it's time to hit the slopes and the bottle.

1. You won't need to be doing 12 hour days (unless a legal writing assignment is due).
2. CU Law students start drinking on Thursday (traditionally, we have a few kegs of free beer in the commons on Thursday afternoon, then hit the bars afterwards - it is your duty to keep this going; the current 1Ls are failing at this miserably).

-Pufer

I would be honored to carry on this tradition. I love starting my weekend on Thursday.

If I get waitlisted, I'm putting this in my LOCI.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:31 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Pufer wrote:

-Pufer

i will also pledge to do my best to carry on this hallowed tradition :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:05 pm

First of two days without mail service... Here's to getting some acceptance letters this week! Good luck everyone.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:04 pm

If anyone out there would be willing to read and critique my LOCI I would be grateful! It's only a page and I'll send the Karma Police your names for special recognition...

GentlemanJim

Postby GentlemanJim » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:25 pm

WL'd. 165, 3.3. Very, very disappointed. Anyone know how CU is with letting people off the WL?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:27 pm

Hmm a 165 3.3 WL.

Do you have a criminal history?

What other schools did you apply to.

If you're a splitter candidate who blankets 20-30 schools with apps I'm sure it won't matter too much since they are YP'ing you anyway.

Colorado doesn't through around too much $$ so they are likely assuming you'll get swayed by $ elsewhere.

GentlemanJim

Postby GentlemanJim » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:32 pm

I have an OWI from years back. Not technically a traffic alcohol charge, but not a speeding ticket either. I've been about as repentant as I can be. I have pretty solid work experience.

As far as apps, I have blanketed the whole top 100. Have gotten a couple decent money offers and some surprising WL's (UVA, for one). I think CU might have been my top choice, I just didn't know it until recently.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:35 pm

just applied this weekend.
Last edited by crit_racer on Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:36 pm

crit_racer wrote:169/3.23 just applied this weekend. What do y'all think? I really want Boulder...

I would normally feel like you have a really strong shot, but some strange things have been coming out of the admissions office so far. Truth is, there is no way of knowing. Best of luck.

rekopter

Postby rekopter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:41 pm

GentlemanJim wrote:WL'd. 165, 3.3. Very, very disappointed. Anyone know how CU is with letting people off the WL?

Our medians are 164 and 3.61 so this shouldn't be too surprising.

CU is very responsive to positive LOCI's. Applicants in the past who have demonstrated their enthusiasm consistently have fared very well.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:10 pm

I wonder when they are going to send info about ASD. I'd like to book my flight by the end of January for March, but I don't want to book it without seeing the ASD itinerary first.

Also, in the acceptance letter they said, "[Scholarship] offers will be sent through regular mail starting in late January and continue to be made throughout the admissions process." However...that's what they apparently said last year, but didn't start sending out scholarships until March. I hope they decide to send out scholarships earlier this year :?

Top14Hope

Postby Top14Hope » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:29 pm

typ3 wrote:Hmm a 165 3.3 WL.

If you're a splitter candidate who blankets 20-30 schools with apps I'm sure it won't matter too much since they are YP'ing you anyway.

Colorado doesn't through around too much $$ so they are likely assuming you'll get swayed by $ elsewhere.

What does "YP'ing" mean? Also, why are the schools doing it to candidates who apply to 20+ schools? Thanks!

akili

Postby akili » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:34 pm

Top14Hope wrote:
typ3 wrote:Hmm a 165 3.3 WL.

What does "YP'ing" mean? Also, why are the schools doing it to candidates who apply to 20+ schools? Thanks!

Near the top of the page I explained it. It doesn't matter how many you apply to, but if they think you won't go or are using them as a safety some schools will WL you to keep their yield high.

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:39 am

thewarflamingo wrote:I wonder when they are going to send info about ASD. I'd like to book my flight by the end of January for March, but I don't want to book it without seeing the ASD itinerary first.

Hasn't changed in the last three years. You show up real early (you'll want to fly in the night before), do stuff at the law school (breakfast networking thing, dean talks, other deans talk, student leadership talks, law student panel, mock class, building tour, lunch with giveaways), done at 1:30. I'd be quite surprised if it's substantially different this year.

-Pufer

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:43 am

Pufer wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:I wonder when they are going to send info about ASD. I'd like to book my flight by the end of January for March, but I don't want to book it without seeing the ASD itinerary first.

Hasn't changed in the last three years. You show up real early (you'll want to fly in the night before), do stuff at the law school (breakfast networking thing, dean talks, other deans talk, student leadership talks, law student panel, mock class, building tour, lunch with giveaways), done at 1:30. I'd be quite surprised if it's substantially different this year.

-Pufer

......Is that signature really necessary?

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:32 am

Pufer wrote:

-Pufer

cool - so it's a one day thing and any other time there will just be for exploration :D
i'm booking tickets soooooon!!!

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:20 am

oldhippie wrote:
Pufer wrote:

-Pufer

cool - so it's a one day thing and any other time there will just be for exploration :D
i'm booking tickets soooooon!!!

Which ASD are you planning on going to?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”