CU Boulder 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BeachedBrit

Bronze

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Post by BeachedBrit » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:35 pm

When I get to Boulder, I'm going to do my best to do 12 hour days Mon-Thurs, so as soon as the last class dismisses on Friday it's time to hit the slopes and the bottle.
This is what may draw me to Boulder (if combined with a nice scholarship) rather than the T-14..... theres no skiing in NYC!!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:38 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:
When I get to Boulder, I'm going to do my best to do 12 hour days Mon-Thurs, so as soon as the last class dismisses on Friday it's time to hit the slopes and the bottle.
This is what may draw me to Boulder (if combined with a nice scholarship) rather than the T-14..... theres no skiing in NYC!!
It might be enough of a draw for me to pay slightly more to go to #38 CU over #26 Iowa :-)

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:33 pm

So....this might be a dumb question, but...can you fly into Boulder? I was looking at flights, but it says they can't find any flights from my city to Boulder even though there is the municipal airport. Do I have to fly into Denver instead? If so, what are my transportation options between Denver and Boulder? My friend lives in Denver and can most likely drive me to Boulder for the ASD event, but I just wanted to see what other options I have just in case she can't.

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:40 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:So....this might be a dumb question, but...can you fly into Boulder? I was looking at flights, but it says they can't find any flights from my city to Boulder even though there is the municipal airport. Do I have to fly into Denver instead? If so, what are my transportation options between Denver and Boulder? My friend lives in Denver and can most likely drive me to Boulder for the ASD event, but I just wanted to see what other options I have just in case she can't.
Nope - fly into DEN (there is a regional airport on the way to Boulder, but it's not worth your time to even try! It's just Cessnas and whatnot from there).

If you stay in Denver, you can take a bus or a blue van shuttle to the city. Bus runs about $12 or so, not sure about the van, and taxis are all around $50 from the airport to downtown. From there, there's daily buses that go between Denver and Boulder, about $5 or $6 each way (it's been ten years since I rode those, so I have to estimate!)

I'm sure there's ways to get to Boulder from the airport as well, for not too much more to get to downtown Denver. This is going to get you a lot of info: http://flydenver.com

EDIT: $87.75 flat rate for a taxi from DIA to Boulder, which is pretty reasonable considering the distance! The airport may as well be in Kansas!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:49 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
Nope - fly into DEN (there is a regional airport on the way to Boulder, but it's not worth your time to even try! It's just Cessnas and whatnot from there).

If you stay in Denver, you can take a bus or a blue van shuttle to the city. Bus runs about $12 or so, not sure about the van, and taxis are all around $50 from the airport to downtown. From there, there's daily buses that go between Denver and Boulder, about $5 or $6 each way (it's been ten years since I rode those, so I have to estimate!)

I'm sure there's ways to get to Boulder from the airport as well, for not too much more to get to downtown Denver. This is going to get you a lot of info: http://flydenver.com

EDIT: $87.75 flat rate for a taxi from DIA to Boulder, which is pretty reasonable considering the distance! The airport may as well be in Kansas!

Rent a car
FTFY :-)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:50 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:So....this might be a dumb question, but...can you fly into Boulder? I was looking at flights, but it says they can't find any flights from my city to Boulder even though there is the municipal airport. Do I have to fly into Denver instead? If so, what are my transportation options between Denver and Boulder? My friend lives in Denver and can most likely drive me to Boulder for the ASD event, but I just wanted to see what other options I have just in case she can't.
Fly into Denver. I used to live just outside Boulder, and my preferred way to get to and from the airport was taking the AB route on the RTD bus, http://www3.rtd-denver.com/schedules/ge ... viceType=3 which I think costs $13 one way, and it takes you from DIA right into Boulder. It runs every hour for most of the day.

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:53 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Rent a car
TITCR. But, you know, for the about-to-be-poor law students...

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:08 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Rent a car
haha yeah, plus I'm under 25 so I think there is a premium for me to rent a car, but I will look into it.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I am sooo excited to book my trip!

bananeez

Bronze

Post by bananeez » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:49 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Rent a car
haha yeah, plus I'm under 25 so I think there is a premium for me to rent a car, but I will look into it.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I am sooo excited to book my trip!
I've taken the Super Shuttle too. I think it's about $25. Or just put on your skis :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:21 pm

Waitlist today. Withdrawing. Good luck yall!

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:02 pm

akili wrote:Waitlist today. Withdrawing. Good luck yall!
Sorry to hear that. I'm probably headed for a similar result.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:12 pm

How were you notified?

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:19 pm

ArchRoark wrote:
How were you notified?
Small white envelope

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:08 pm

akili wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:
How were you notified?
Small white envelope
I hope you don't mind that I did a little investigating and looked at your profile to see your numbers. I retook the LSAT in December as well and when I contacted admissions they said my file was waiting for the Dec. scores to be added, even though I had a previous score in there. I'm guessing they have access to that information, because I never told them I was retaking the LSAT. So I'm curious why they didn't wait for your december scores to be released before they reviewed your file and issue a decision (assuming they couldn't have done all that in one day). Maybe you applied a lot earlier than I did and they had already reviewed your file before information about a pending score was released to them. Did you apply in October or early Nov? I think I went complete end of Nov.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the admission procedures. I'm sure there is a systematic method to it....

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:16 pm

ptblazer wrote:
akili wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:
How were you notified?
Small white envelope
I hope you don't mind that I did a little investigating and looked at your profile to see your numbers. I retook the LSAT in December as well and when I contacted admissions they said my file was waiting for the Dec. scores to be added, even though I had a previous score in there. I'm guessing they have access to that information, because I never told them I was retaking the LSAT. So I'm curious why they didn't wait for your december scores to be released before they reviewed your file and issue a decision (assuming they couldn't have done all that in one day). Maybe you applied a lot earlier than I did and they had already reviewed your file before information about a pending score was released to them. Did you apply in October or early Nov? I think I went complete end of Nov.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the admission procedures. I'm sure there is a systematic method to it....
Yeah I was a bit confused, especially as the letter was dated Jan. 7th. It was just odd. I'm bummed because I was definitely still very interested in Colorado, but I have no urge to ride the waitlist there and have no chance at $$

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:39 pm

Obviously since you plan on withdrawing it couldn't hurt to send them an email and get an explanation. Regardless, good luck with the rest of your schools!!

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:42 pm

Thanks! I might do a little investigating on Monday via phone call.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bsm909

Bronze

Post by bsm909 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:13 am

Did you do a lot better on your retake? You may want to submit that and see if that gets you off the list- or do a request for reconsideration due to new information- If you were waitlisted and did better, that may be the bump to get you in.
akili wrote:Thanks! I might do a little investigating on Monday via phone call.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:16 am

bsm909 wrote:Did you do a lot better on your retake? You may want to submit that and see if that gets you off the list- or do a request for reconsideration due to new information- If you were waitlisted and did better, that may be the bump to get you in.
akili wrote:Thanks! I might do a little investigating on Monday via phone call.
I jumped 9 points on my retake. It's just odd that they didn't wait for it? Or maybe they didn't care. Who knows? I'll call on Monday and ask about it.

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:39 am

chrisbru wrote:Love it. Free drinks are definitely the way to my good graces :-) When I get to Boulder, I'm going to do my best to do 12 hour days Mon-Thurs, so as soon as the last class dismisses on Friday it's time to hit the slopes and the bottle.
1. You won't need to be doing 12 hour days (unless a legal writing assignment is due).
2. CU Law students start drinking on Thursday (traditionally, we have a few kegs of free beer in the commons on Thursday afternoon, then hit the bars afterwards - it is your duty to keep this going; the current 1Ls are failing at this miserably).
thewarflamingo wrote:haha yeah, plus I'm under 25 so I think there is a premium for me to rent a car, but I will look into it.
When I flew up for the open house... Three years ago? Man, law school really does fly by.

Anyway, when I flew up three years ago, I rented a car from Dollar. There was an under-25 charge, but it wasn't that bad. I would never have gotten as good a feel for the area had I not been able to aimlessly drive around after the open house events.

That said, if you don't want to rent, the RTD AB route is the best option, followed by SuperShuttle (the latter of which is way quicker because it uses the toll beltway). If you can't find a rental car for under the $180 a cab would cost round-trip, even with the young driver surplus, you fail at internet travel shopping (I mean, using Southwest, a round trip flight from most airports to DEN would be cheaper than that cab ride). Unless you're drunk and it's like ten below, there's no reason to use cabs in Colorado.

If anyone is looking for accommodations, use Hotwire's blind deals and choose the cheapest place in the Louisville/Superior geographical area. All the hotels in that geographical square are newer and are pretty nice. The worst you can get is the pretty-new Louisville Comfort Inn, which is perfectly acceptable. More typically, it's the Louisville La Quinta, which is great. 10 minute drive from the law building, but usually way cheaper (and nicer, at the lower price ranges) than anything with a Boulder address (and still a 10 minute drive from the law building).

-Pufer

lilcalisunshine

New

Post by lilcalisunshine » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:48 am

Akili with your new score your getting waitlisted is very very questionable, I wouldn't tell yourself you are already giving up if I were you and I were still interested in CU-Boulder. Call them and see if they had even RECEIVED your Dec score. Maybe your file didn't show you were taking the Dec test when sent your application! Is it possible you signed up for Dec after you sent it? I'm just thinking they probably would have waited for your Dec score had they known it was coming and an letter dated 1/7 wouldn't have had your score!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:04 am

lilcalisunshine wrote:Akili with your new score your getting waitlisted is very very questionable, I wouldn't tell yourself you are already giving up if I were you and I were still interested in CU-Boulder. Call them and see if they had even RECEIVED your Dec score. Maybe your file didn't show you were taking the Dec test when sent your application! Is it possible you signed up for Dec after you sent it? I'm just thinking they probably would have waited for your Dec score had they known it was coming and an letter dated 1/7 wouldn't have had your score!
I did submit to CU in October, before I even took the October LSAT. I thought schools were notified of future pending LSATs, but I think I may have assumed incorrectly, lol. I am really glad I improved my score, because I would've been heartbroken by the waitlist before. I'm still sad and definitely going to investigate, but it'll be ok :)

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I appreciate it and I'll let you know what happens!

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:45 pm

Waitlisted yesterday via snail mail. Congrats to all those who have gotten in.

BeachedBrit

Bronze

Post by BeachedBrit » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:59 pm

artichoke, what is the state/country/thing in your avatar? Just wondering.

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:04 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:artichoke, what is the state/country/thing in your avatar? Just wondering.
that my friend is the good ole' UP. Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Artichoke, you from up der eh?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”