CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BeachedBrit
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:30 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby BeachedBrit » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:35 pm

When I get to Boulder, I'm going to do my best to do 12 hour days Mon-Thurs, so as soon as the last class dismisses on Friday it's time to hit the slopes and the bottle.


This is what may draw me to Boulder (if combined with a nice scholarship) rather than the T-14..... theres no skiing in NYC!!

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby chrisbru » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:38 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:
When I get to Boulder, I'm going to do my best to do 12 hour days Mon-Thurs, so as soon as the last class dismisses on Friday it's time to hit the slopes and the bottle.


This is what may draw me to Boulder (if combined with a nice scholarship) rather than the T-14..... theres no skiing in NYC!!


It might be enough of a draw for me to pay slightly more to go to #38 CU over #26 Iowa :-)

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby thewarflamingo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:33 pm

So....this might be a dumb question, but...can you fly into Boulder? I was looking at flights, but it says they can't find any flights from my city to Boulder even though there is the municipal airport. Do I have to fly into Denver instead? If so, what are my transportation options between Denver and Boulder? My friend lives in Denver and can most likely drive me to Boulder for the ASD event, but I just wanted to see what other options I have just in case she can't.

User avatar
fundamentallybroken
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby fundamentallybroken » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:40 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:So....this might be a dumb question, but...can you fly into Boulder? I was looking at flights, but it says they can't find any flights from my city to Boulder even though there is the municipal airport. Do I have to fly into Denver instead? If so, what are my transportation options between Denver and Boulder? My friend lives in Denver and can most likely drive me to Boulder for the ASD event, but I just wanted to see what other options I have just in case she can't.


Nope - fly into DEN (there is a regional airport on the way to Boulder, but it's not worth your time to even try! It's just Cessnas and whatnot from there).

If you stay in Denver, you can take a bus or a blue van shuttle to the city. Bus runs about $12 or so, not sure about the van, and taxis are all around $50 from the airport to downtown. From there, there's daily buses that go between Denver and Boulder, about $5 or $6 each way (it's been ten years since I rode those, so I have to estimate!)

I'm sure there's ways to get to Boulder from the airport as well, for not too much more to get to downtown Denver. This is going to get you a lot of info: http://flydenver.com

EDIT: $87.75 flat rate for a taxi from DIA to Boulder, which is pretty reasonable considering the distance! The airport may as well be in Kansas!

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby chrisbru » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:49 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
Nope - fly into DEN (there is a regional airport on the way to Boulder, but it's not worth your time to even try! It's just Cessnas and whatnot from there).

If you stay in Denver, you can take a bus or a blue van shuttle to the city. Bus runs about $12 or so, not sure about the van, and taxis are all around $50 from the airport to downtown. From there, there's daily buses that go between Denver and Boulder, about $5 or $6 each way (it's been ten years since I rode those, so I have to estimate!)

I'm sure there's ways to get to Boulder from the airport as well, for not too much more to get to downtown Denver. This is going to get you a lot of info: http://flydenver.com

EDIT: $87.75 flat rate for a taxi from DIA to Boulder, which is pretty reasonable considering the distance! The airport may as well be in Kansas!


Rent a car


FTFY :-)

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:50 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:So....this might be a dumb question, but...can you fly into Boulder? I was looking at flights, but it says they can't find any flights from my city to Boulder even though there is the municipal airport. Do I have to fly into Denver instead? If so, what are my transportation options between Denver and Boulder? My friend lives in Denver and can most likely drive me to Boulder for the ASD event, but I just wanted to see what other options I have just in case she can't.


Fly into Denver. I used to live just outside Boulder, and my preferred way to get to and from the airport was taking the AB route on the RTD bus, http://www3.rtd-denver.com/schedules/ge ... viceType=3 which I think costs $13 one way, and it takes you from DIA right into Boulder. It runs every hour for most of the day.

User avatar
fundamentallybroken
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby fundamentallybroken » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:53 pm

chrisbru wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:
Nope - fly into DEN (there is a regional airport on the way to Boulder, but it's not worth your time to even try! It's just Cessnas and whatnot from there).

If you stay in Denver, you can take a bus or a blue van shuttle to the city. Bus runs about $12 or so, not sure about the van, and taxis are all around $50 from the airport to downtown. From there, there's daily buses that go between Denver and Boulder, about $5 or $6 each way (it's been ten years since I rode those, so I have to estimate!)

I'm sure there's ways to get to Boulder from the airport as well, for not too much more to get to downtown Denver. This is going to get you a lot of info: http://flydenver.com

EDIT: $87.75 flat rate for a taxi from DIA to Boulder, which is pretty reasonable considering the distance! The airport may as well be in Kansas!


Rent a car


FTFY :-)


TITCR. But, you know, for the about-to-be-poor law students...

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby thewarflamingo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:08 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:
Nope - fly into DEN (there is a regional airport on the way to Boulder, but it's not worth your time to even try! It's just Cessnas and whatnot from there).

If you stay in Denver, you can take a bus or a blue van shuttle to the city. Bus runs about $12 or so, not sure about the van, and taxis are all around $50 from the airport to downtown. From there, there's daily buses that go between Denver and Boulder, about $5 or $6 each way (it's been ten years since I rode those, so I have to estimate!)

I'm sure there's ways to get to Boulder from the airport as well, for not too much more to get to downtown Denver. This is going to get you a lot of info: http://flydenver.com

EDIT: $87.75 flat rate for a taxi from DIA to Boulder, which is pretty reasonable considering the distance! The airport may as well be in Kansas!


Rent a car


FTFY :-)


TITCR. But, you know, for the about-to-be-poor law students...

haha yeah, plus I'm under 25 so I think there is a premium for me to rent a car, but I will look into it.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I am sooo excited to book my trip!

bananeez
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:47 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby bananeez » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:49 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:
Nope - fly into DEN (there is a regional airport on the way to Boulder, but it's not worth your time to even try! It's just Cessnas and whatnot from there).

If you stay in Denver, you can take a bus or a blue van shuttle to the city. Bus runs about $12 or so, not sure about the van, and taxis are all around $50 from the airport to downtown. From there, there's daily buses that go between Denver and Boulder, about $5 or $6 each way (it's been ten years since I rode those, so I have to estimate!)

I'm sure there's ways to get to Boulder from the airport as well, for not too much more to get to downtown Denver. This is going to get you a lot of info: http://flydenver.com

EDIT: $87.75 flat rate for a taxi from DIA to Boulder, which is pretty reasonable considering the distance! The airport may as well be in Kansas!


Rent a car


FTFY :-)


TITCR. But, you know, for the about-to-be-poor law students...

haha yeah, plus I'm under 25 so I think there is a premium for me to rent a car, but I will look into it.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I am sooo excited to book my trip!


I've taken the Super Shuttle too. I think it's about $25. Or just put on your skis :D

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby akili » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:21 pm

Waitlist today. Withdrawing. Good luck yall!

ptblazer
Posts: 376
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:27 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby ptblazer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:02 pm

akili wrote:Waitlist today. Withdrawing. Good luck yall!


Sorry to hear that. I'm probably headed for a similar result.

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:12 pm

akili wrote:Waitlist today. Withdrawing. Good luck yall!

How were you notified?

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby akili » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:19 pm

ArchRoark wrote:
akili wrote:Waitlist today. Withdrawing. Good luck yall!

How were you notified?


Small white envelope

ptblazer
Posts: 376
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:27 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby ptblazer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:08 pm

akili wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:
akili wrote:Waitlist today. Withdrawing. Good luck yall!

How were you notified?


Small white envelope


I hope you don't mind that I did a little investigating and looked at your profile to see your numbers. I retook the LSAT in December as well and when I contacted admissions they said my file was waiting for the Dec. scores to be added, even though I had a previous score in there. I'm guessing they have access to that information, because I never told them I was retaking the LSAT. So I'm curious why they didn't wait for your december scores to be released before they reviewed your file and issue a decision (assuming they couldn't have done all that in one day). Maybe you applied a lot earlier than I did and they had already reviewed your file before information about a pending score was released to them. Did you apply in October or early Nov? I think I went complete end of Nov.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the admission procedures. I'm sure there is a systematic method to it....

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby akili » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:16 pm

ptblazer wrote:
akili wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:
akili wrote:Waitlist today. Withdrawing. Good luck yall!

How were you notified?


Small white envelope


I hope you don't mind that I did a little investigating and looked at your profile to see your numbers. I retook the LSAT in December as well and when I contacted admissions they said my file was waiting for the Dec. scores to be added, even though I had a previous score in there. I'm guessing they have access to that information, because I never told them I was retaking the LSAT. So I'm curious why they didn't wait for your december scores to be released before they reviewed your file and issue a decision (assuming they couldn't have done all that in one day). Maybe you applied a lot earlier than I did and they had already reviewed your file before information about a pending score was released to them. Did you apply in October or early Nov? I think I went complete end of Nov.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the admission procedures. I'm sure there is a systematic method to it....


Yeah I was a bit confused, especially as the letter was dated Jan. 7th. It was just odd. I'm bummed because I was definitely still very interested in Colorado, but I have no urge to ride the waitlist there and have no chance at $$

ptblazer
Posts: 376
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:27 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby ptblazer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:39 pm

Obviously since you plan on withdrawing it couldn't hurt to send them an email and get an explanation. Regardless, good luck with the rest of your schools!!

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby akili » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:42 pm

Thanks! I might do a little investigating on Monday via phone call.

User avatar
bsm909
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby bsm909 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:13 am

Did you do a lot better on your retake? You may want to submit that and see if that gets you off the list- or do a request for reconsideration due to new information- If you were waitlisted and did better, that may be the bump to get you in.

akili wrote:Thanks! I might do a little investigating on Monday via phone call.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby akili » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:16 am

bsm909 wrote:Did you do a lot better on your retake? You may want to submit that and see if that gets you off the list- or do a request for reconsideration due to new information- If you were waitlisted and did better, that may be the bump to get you in.

akili wrote:Thanks! I might do a little investigating on Monday via phone call.


I jumped 9 points on my retake. It's just odd that they didn't wait for it? Or maybe they didn't care. Who knows? I'll call on Monday and ask about it.

User avatar
Pufer
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:32 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby Pufer » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:39 am

chrisbru wrote:Love it. Free drinks are definitely the way to my good graces :-) When I get to Boulder, I'm going to do my best to do 12 hour days Mon-Thurs, so as soon as the last class dismisses on Friday it's time to hit the slopes and the bottle.


1. You won't need to be doing 12 hour days (unless a legal writing assignment is due).
2. CU Law students start drinking on Thursday (traditionally, we have a few kegs of free beer in the commons on Thursday afternoon, then hit the bars afterwards - it is your duty to keep this going; the current 1Ls are failing at this miserably).

thewarflamingo wrote:haha yeah, plus I'm under 25 so I think there is a premium for me to rent a car, but I will look into it.


When I flew up for the open house... Three years ago? Man, law school really does fly by.

Anyway, when I flew up three years ago, I rented a car from Dollar. There was an under-25 charge, but it wasn't that bad. I would never have gotten as good a feel for the area had I not been able to aimlessly drive around after the open house events.

That said, if you don't want to rent, the RTD AB route is the best option, followed by SuperShuttle (the latter of which is way quicker because it uses the toll beltway). If you can't find a rental car for under the $180 a cab would cost round-trip, even with the young driver surplus, you fail at internet travel shopping (I mean, using Southwest, a round trip flight from most airports to DEN would be cheaper than that cab ride). Unless you're drunk and it's like ten below, there's no reason to use cabs in Colorado.

If anyone is looking for accommodations, use Hotwire's blind deals and choose the cheapest place in the Louisville/Superior geographical area. All the hotels in that geographical square are newer and are pretty nice. The worst you can get is the pretty-new Louisville Comfort Inn, which is perfectly acceptable. More typically, it's the Louisville La Quinta, which is great. 10 minute drive from the law building, but usually way cheaper (and nicer, at the lower price ranges) than anything with a Boulder address (and still a 10 minute drive from the law building).

-Pufer

lilcalisunshine
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:17 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby lilcalisunshine » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:48 am

Akili with your new score your getting waitlisted is very very questionable, I wouldn't tell yourself you are already giving up if I were you and I were still interested in CU-Boulder. Call them and see if they had even RECEIVED your Dec score. Maybe your file didn't show you were taking the Dec test when sent your application! Is it possible you signed up for Dec after you sent it? I'm just thinking they probably would have waited for your Dec score had they known it was coming and an letter dated 1/7 wouldn't have had your score!

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby akili » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:04 am

lilcalisunshine wrote:Akili with your new score your getting waitlisted is very very questionable, I wouldn't tell yourself you are already giving up if I were you and I were still interested in CU-Boulder. Call them and see if they had even RECEIVED your Dec score. Maybe your file didn't show you were taking the Dec test when sent your application! Is it possible you signed up for Dec after you sent it? I'm just thinking they probably would have waited for your Dec score had they known it was coming and an letter dated 1/7 wouldn't have had your score!


I did submit to CU in October, before I even took the October LSAT. I thought schools were notified of future pending LSATs, but I think I may have assumed incorrectly, lol. I am really glad I improved my score, because I would've been heartbroken by the waitlist before. I'm still sad and definitely going to investigate, but it'll be ok :)

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I appreciate it and I'll let you know what happens!

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby artichoke » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:45 pm

Waitlisted yesterday via snail mail. Congrats to all those who have gotten in.

BeachedBrit
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:30 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby BeachedBrit » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:59 pm

artichoke, what is the state/country/thing in your avatar? Just wondering.

User avatar
theavrock
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby theavrock » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:04 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:artichoke, what is the state/country/thing in your avatar? Just wondering.


that my friend is the good ole' UP. Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Artichoke, you from up der eh?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Long shot hero, michelekfla, ohgosh, smashbash, Yahoo [Bot] and 16 guests