CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rekopter

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby rekopter » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:10 am

ptblazer wrote:
rekopter wrote:Just to add to this, it's really important to file a CO tax return--even if you moved here in August, and even if you made no income. File it.

And you're allowed to go home for breaks or to travel.

Sorry, I meant move back home for the 3 month summer break or is that okay? Not that law students would do that. My understanding was that leaving for such of long period of time doesn't demonstrate you're intent on becoming a resident.

Typical law student/lawyer answer: it depends. Are you taking a summer associate position which leads to a permanent job? Iffy. Are you moving home to care for your ailing mother? Better.

Determinations are made on a case-by-case basis by a tuition classification officer on campus. You want to show an intent to make CO your home. Taking a month of your summer to tour South America probably won't defeat this. Buying a house in California, incorporating a new business in Wyoming, or taking a permanent job out-of-state probably will.

If you file a tax return here, register to vote, register your car, get a drivers license, and buy a house here, that's a lot of good evidence for you. Even if you do just some of this, you'll probably be good. I don't know of any of my classmates who had any trouble getting the in-state classification after their first year.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:58 am

rekopter wrote:
ptblazer wrote:
rekopter wrote:Just to add to this, it's really important to file a CO tax return--even if you moved here in August, and even if you made no income. File it.

Sorry, I meant move back home for the 3 month summer break or is that okay? Not that law students would do that. My understanding was that leaving for such of long period of time doesn't demonstrate you're intent on becoming a resident.

Typical law student/lawyer answer: it depends. Are you taking a summer associate position which leads to a permanent job? Iffy. Are you moving home to care for your ailing mother? Better.

Determinations are made on a case-by-case basis by a tuition classification officer on campus. You want to show an intent to make CO your home. Taking a month of your summer to tour South America probably won't defeat this. Buying a house in California, incorporating a new business in Wyoming, or taking a permanent job out-of-state probably will.

If you file a tax return here, register to vote, register your car, get a drivers license, and buy a house here, that's a lot of good evidence for you. Even if you do just some of this, you'll probably be good. I don't know of any of my classmates who had any trouble getting the in-state classification after their first year.

Good to know, thanks as always!

lsatdalek

Postby lsatdalek » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:26 pm

Waitlisted today via snail mail.

colorando

Postby colorando » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:23 pm

rekopter wrote:
ptblazer wrote:

What about students who are looking to get in state for their first year? I've lived in CO for a number of years now, but work has taken me away for a couple monthes at a time. Every single metric, drivers license, registration, voting, is in CO. But my family is not from the state and I still have minor ties to my home state. Will it be hard for me to get instate that first year? I've sort of counted on it, both as an admissions boost and way to help pay for school.

rekopter

Postby rekopter » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:40 pm

colorando wrote:
rekopter wrote:
ptblazer wrote:

What about students who are looking to get in state for their first year? I've lived in CO for a number of years now, but work has taken me away for a couple monthes at a time. Every single metric, drivers license, registration, voting, is in CO. But my family is not from the state and I still have minor ties to my home state. Will it be hard for me to get instate that first year? I've sort of counted on it, both as an admissions boost and way to help pay for school.

If you've lived here and paid taxes here, you shouldn't have a problem. Even if you've traveled for work.

And CU does not give any sort of boost for in-state students in the Law School admissions process.

colorando

Postby colorando » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:52 pm

Thats my one question.... I made 95% of my wages out of state last year. Should I still pay state taxes here this year or should I just wait and pay them next spring, before next fall when I will matriculate.

rekopter

Postby rekopter » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:58 pm

colorando wrote:Thats my one question.... I made 95% of my wages out of state last year. Should I still pay state taxes here this year or should I just wait and pay them next spring, before next fall when I will matriculate.

Not filing a Colorado resident tax return for will almost certainly defeat a claim for in-state status next year. And see an accountant.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:32 pm

Thanks for all the replies. If I ended up attending, would it be worth it to get a summer job after 1L (assuming I don't get a SA etc.) just for the tax return?

I'm also curious to see what your experiences have been with LSP and HourUMD etc. this cycle. Have they held up as accurate for you all? For some reason unknown to me, I feel like CU is hard to get a read on for numbers.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:52 pm

minnbills wrote:Thanks for all the replies. If I ended up attending, would it be worth it to get a summer job after 1L (assuming I don't get a SA etc.) just for the tax return?

I'm also curious to see what your experiences have been with LSP and HourUMD etc. this cycle. Have they held up as accurate for you all? For some reason unknown to me, I feel like CU is hard to get a read on for numbers.

You can still file a taxes even if you don't have reportable wages. You obviously won't get a return on your taxes, but you should still do it.

CU might be tough to read this cycle. CU had an increase in applicants of about 12% over the previous year, while the national average saw a decrease of about 11%.

http://lawweb.colorado.edu/news/showArticle.jsp?id=651

samilabuena

Postby samilabuena » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:13 am

For what it's worth:

I live in Boulder now and I absolutely love it. It's got a small town feel while still being accessible by bike/bus/walking from nearly everywhere. It's beautiful and I will be sad to leave it.

I intend on coming back to Colorado every summer and after graduating law school. It is a fantastic state with fascinating local politics and plenty to keep a law student busy. It was a very, very hard decision to leave it. I will miss the Flatirons. For the CU Boulder Law Class of 2014, enjoy her, and treat her right.

If you have any questions on how awesome it is to live in Boulder or the commute to Denver, PM me.

Love,

Sami

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:58 am

thanks sami...
it's so nice to hear how much people love boulder/colorado...not that i had any doubt, but it is reassuring :D

scutarius

Postby scutarius » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:53 am

Any movement off the Waitlist?

smithc2011

Postby smithc2011 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:11 pm

Accepted via email today. I was never WL'd, so it looks like they're going through their later applicants (i applied on the deadline) before they go to WL. Any information on scholarships or when they get offered? I'm fairly set on attending another school, but could be swayed by a good scholarship offer.

smithc2011

Postby smithc2011 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:21 pm

vastrei wrote:Do you guys think CU is worth $8000 more per year than DU (my current situation)?

absolutely. If you haven't had the chance to look at these graphs yet, do it. UD's information is super sketchy. Make a side by side comparison of the 3 different graphs for CU Boulder and UD, and you'll get a better idea of how they compare. Notably barely half of UDs graduates are known to be employed full-time, compared to ~72% of CUs, and only 6% of UDs graduates are confirmed to be making at least 55k (probably a little lower than the actual number, but why so sketch?), compared to 18% of CUs known to be making at least 60k (6% of CUs grads are confirmed to be making 120k+).

Assuming risk of repaying the loans is your cause for concern with choosing CU of UD, I'd say its riskier to go to UD than CU, based on those graphs.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:39 pm

smithc2011 wrote:
vastrei wrote:Do you guys think CU is worth $8000 more per year than DU (my current situation)?

absolutely. If you haven't had the chance to look at these graphs yet, do it. UD's information is super sketchy. Make a side by side comparison of the 3 different graphs for CU Boulder and UD, and you'll get a better idea of how they compare. Notably barely half of UDs graduates are known to be employed full-time, compared to ~72% of CUs, and only 6% of UDs graduates are confirmed to be making at least 55k (probably a little lower than the actual number, but why so sketch?), compared to 18% of CUs known to be making at least 60k (6% of CUs grads are confirmed to be making 120k+).

Assuming risk of repaying the loans is your cause for concern with choosing CU of UD, I'd say its riskier to go to UD than CU, based on those graphs.

Agreed. It is DU though. But I agree-- 8000 is not enough.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:43 pm

Anyone ask for the 2010 numbers from CU? DU basically told me they weren't ready yet even though I think they already submitted them to NALP. Feel free to correct on that time-frame.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:24 pm

Well, finally got my financial package in the mail and it appears that I did not get any sort of merit scholarship? Maybe they are waiting for me to deposit before they give me something. I am not sure how I can wrap up money from Michigan and UPenn but get nothing from CU. Complete wth.. oh well. CU was my number one choice by far.. I hate how life plays out sometimes.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:30 pm

typ3 wrote:Well, finally got my financial package in the mail and it appears that I did not get any sort of merit scholarship? Maybe they are waiting for me to deposit before they give me something. I am not sure how I can wrap up money from Michigan and UPenn but get nothing from CU. Complete wth.. oh well. CU was my number one choice by far.. I hate how life plays out sometimes.

My scholarship wasn't included on the financial aid package, although some people did have it included. I think it was only included on the financial package for those that accepted their scholarship prior to its printing.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:33 pm

ptblazer wrote:
typ3 wrote:Well, finally got my financial package in the mail and it appears that I did not get any sort of merit scholarship? Maybe they are waiting for me to deposit before they give me something. I am not sure how I can wrap up money from Michigan and UPenn but get nothing from CU. Complete wth.. oh well. CU was my number one choice by far.. I hate how life plays out sometimes.

My scholarship wasn't included on the financial aid package, although some people did have it included. I think it was only included on the financial package for those that accepted their scholarship prior to its printing.

i think this is true, so it may not be as bad as you think, typ3...
but man, i know how much the waiting sucks :( ...you do have great options, though, so keep the faith!!!!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:21 pm

oldhippie wrote:
ptblazer wrote:

i think this is true, so it may not be as bad as you think, typ3...
but man, i know how much the waiting sucks :( ...you do have great options, though, so keep the faith!!!!

Problem is I had an extended deadline to the 29th to place a deposit since they accepted me on the 8th. I really can't see myself going there over Iowa with a scholarship I can't lose.. unless I get myself expelled. Damn. I really wanted to be in the mountains for 3 years.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:30 pm

Instead you may have to settle for a mountain of cash in Iowa.

P.S. Your profile shows acceptances to Columbia, Chicago & Georgetown. Are these schools still possibilities ?

smithc2011

Postby smithc2011 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:17 pm

sounds like a good time for a scholarship negotiation, and be sure to tell them that CU is your #1. If you don't have any apparent ties to the state, they may've not considered you serious about it, and wanted to give the $$$ to people they thought they had a better chance at.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:39 pm

Officially withdrew awhile ago. GL everyone

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:55 pm

smithc2011 wrote:

sounds like a good time for a scholarship negotiation, and be sure to tell them that CU is your #1. If you don't have any apparent ties to the state, they may've not considered you serious about it, and wanted to give the $$$ to people they thought they had a better chance at.

I don't know if that is the case. I think it was more so of a YP since CU tends to not be able to compete with higher ranked schools scholarship wise. Why tie up scholarship funds if they won't even been competitive with higher ranked schools? Not to mention they held my application FOREVER, and I have no idea what that was about.

@CanadianWolf I have post grad employment already that is > or equal to big law. Hence, I wanted a decently ranked school that would cost the least since I won't have to search for a job after graduation. Of the schools admitted that are competitive $ wise my preference is Mich 1, Iowa 2, Minnesota 3, penn 4. I had a harder time debating Iowa v Michigan than I did with Minnesota vs Iowa. I really hate Minneapolis but I decided that Michigan debt wasn't worth it. Plus, no GPA / Rank stips really swayed me to Iowa in the end. I was a little worried about losing my scholarship at Michigan, not really at Minnesota since that was approx top 2/3.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:17 pm

typ3 --Sounds like you've made your decision and regardless of where you go to school, you've got a great job lined up, so congratulations for that! However, with all due respect, I don't really understand why you are complaining. I hope it is just frustration.

My guess is that if you had applied earlier you would have seen at least an CU average scholarship.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”