CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
WinterIsComing

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby WinterIsComing » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:21 pm

Accepted last week. No $ came with the packet. It sounds like other people who received scholarships were offered them at acceptance? Leaning towards higher ranked school with a better program if CU won't match them.
Last edited by WinterIsComing on Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:28 pm

WinterIsComing wrote:Accepted last week. No $ came with the packet. It sounds like other people who received scholarships were offered them at acceptance? Leaning towards UMinn w/ 22k/yr if CU won't match them since I can get a CO job through contacts after graduation.

Some people had to wait for them. This late in the cycle I would assume they come with your acceptance or within a week or so.

What are your #'s.. that might help us predict what you'll get if anything.

PatientCreation

Postby PatientCreation » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:12 pm

Waitlisted. Withdrawing.

I would say I hate you Boulder, but that is just so not true...

Your little "stay on the waitlist card" will be burnt though, to spare my pride.

rekopter

Postby rekopter » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:53 pm

PatientCreation wrote:Waitlisted. Withdrawing.

Your little "stay on the waitlist card" will be burnt though, to spare my pride.

I'm always curious why folks withdraw from waitlists so quickly.

Is it because you have an option you prefer over Boulder right now?

Omega10

Postby Omega10 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:55 pm

Out of curiosity, when did you apply/go complete at CU? CU is the only one of my schools I have yet to hear from. Since I haven't been flat out dinged yet, I'm fairly certain I'll be waitlisted, too.

PatientCreation

Postby PatientCreation » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Omega10 wrote:

Out of curiosity, when did you apply/go complete at CU? CU is the only one of my schools I have yet to hear from. Since I haven't been flat out dinged yet, I'm fairly certain I'll be waitlisted, too.

Applied January 13th, was in review mid-February via email, recieved waitlist notification in the mail 3/18. My stats are listed earlier in the thread, but incase you are wondering I am 166/3.3 not URM and from the midwest. Hope that helps and good luck to you-

Omega10

Postby Omega10 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:17 pm

PatientCreation wrote:
Omega10 wrote:

Applied January 13th, was in review mid-February via email, recieved waitlist notification in the mail 3/18. My stats are listed earlier in the thread, but incase you are wondering I am 166/3.3 not URM and from the midwest. Hope that helps and good luck to you-

Thanks, that helps a lot. Sounds like I should get home and go straight to the mailbox, as our timelines are nearly identical. Sorry about the WL, and good luck wherever you end up.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:31 pm

rekopter wrote:

I agree, unless you have options you prefer over CU, I wouldn't withdraw yet. There have been several people who have been taken off the waitlist already and I know of one person on TLS who was only on the waitlist for 2 weeks.

Omega10

Postby Omega10 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:34 pm

ptblazer wrote:
rekopter wrote:

I agree, unless you have options you prefer over CU, I wouldn't withdraw yet. There have been several people who have been taken off the waitlist already and I know of one person on TLS who was only on the waitlist for 2 weeks.

However, if you have another preferred option, please please DO withdraw to move the waitlist process along for the rest of us! :)

PatientCreation

Postby PatientCreation » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:41 pm

ptblazer wrote:
rekopter wrote:

It's because Waitlist = no scholly offer = I can't afford it.
I respect anyone willing to stick around on a waitlist and "tough it out" but I require at least some sort of offer... I am an AmeriCorps member right now and my parents are just as broke as I am. I refuse to be in debt for the rest of my life. I don't necessarily "prefer" another school over CU, but I do have other and similar options ranging from half-tution at T1-T2 to full tuition at T3... so, sadly, I must factor those "less favorable" options in.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:51 pm

PatientCreation wrote:
ptblazer wrote:
rekopter wrote:

It's because Waitlist = no scholly offer = I can't afford it.
I respect anyone willing to stick around on a waitlist and "tough it out" but I require at least some sort of offer... I am an AmeriCorps member right now and my parents are just as broke as I am. I refuse to be in debt for the rest of my life. I don't necessarily "prefer" another school over CU, but I do have other and similar options ranging from half-tution at T1-T2 to full tuition at T3... so, sadly, I must factor those "less favorable" options in.

As a former Peace Corps volunteer and having the sole responsiblity of funding my post high school education, I can totally understand that. Good luck wherever you end up.

upfish

Postby upfish » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:39 pm

Stipend check in the mail in Houston today. :mrgreen:

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:53 pm

upfish wrote:Stipend check in the mail in Houston today. :mrgreen:

Awesome, hopefully mine will be here tomorrow.

When is the seat deposit due? Is there an earlier date for scholarship people?

upfish

Postby upfish » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:55 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:

My award letter has the same date as my acceptance letter, 4/15/11.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:56 pm

upfish wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:

My award letter has the same date as my acceptance letter, 4/15/11.

Awesome, thanks!

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:14 pm

I was admitted a long while ago via ED - is it safe to assume that I won't get any merit-based scholarship? They said the information would be forthcoming, but I haven't heard anything.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:01 pm

Also got my stipend check in the mail today :)

shock259 wrote:I was admitted a long while ago via ED - is it safe to assume that I won't get any merit-based scholarship? They said the information would be forthcoming, but I haven't heard anything.

I thought I wouldn't and then the mail showed up two days later and there was a scholarship. You still might get something when people decline their scholarships and more $ is made available.

Omega10

Postby Omega10 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:52 pm

1) I was just notified via email that I received the Chancellor Scholarship (full tuition!) at DU. Great news-- I breathed a huge sigh of relief, because I can definitely justify going to DU if it means not paying tuition.

2) Then I got home from work, checked my mail, and opened an acceptance letter from CU. No waitlist or any of that nonsense.

These are my top two schools, and have been from the start (I want to continue living/working in Colorado, preferably Denver but I also like Boulder well enough). I don't expect much money from CU at this point, but I suppose I can hold out until the deposit deadline, just to be sure.

So I don't know if there is a "point" to this post, but I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that I finally have options. Great options, in my mind. And after playing the waiting game anxiously for so long, all of this has hit me like a brick in the past couple of hours. Maybe this is a "what would you do?" post.

Thoughts...?

upfish

Postby upfish » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:06 pm

Omega10 wrote:1) I was just notified via email that I received the Chancellor Scholarship (full tuition!) at DU. Great news-- I breathed a huge sigh of relief, because I can definitely justify going to DU if it means not paying tuition.

2) Then I got home from work, checked my mail, and opened an acceptance letter from CU. No waitlist or any of that nonsense.

These are my top two schools, and have been from the start (I want to continue living/working in Colorado, preferably Denver but I also like Boulder well enough). I don't expect much money from CU at this point, but I suppose I can hold out until the deposit deadline, just to be sure.

So I don't know if there is a "point" to this post, but I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that I finally have options. Great options, in my mind. And after playing the waiting game anxiously for so long, all of this has hit me like a brick in the past couple of hours. Maybe this is a "what would you do?" post.

Thoughts...?

I would take the full ride to DU in a heartbeat. CU is great, but no debt is always better, and they seem to have about the same luck placing in firms, w/CU having the advantage for clerkships.

Omega10

Postby Omega10 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:22 pm

upfish wrote:
Omega10 wrote:1) I was just notified via email that I received the Chancellor Scholarship (full tuition!) at DU. Great news-- I breathed a huge sigh of relief, because I can definitely justify going to DU if it means not paying tuition.

Thoughts...?

I would take the full ride to DU in a heartbeat. CU is great, but no debt is always better, and they seem to have about the same luck placing in firms, w/CU having the advantage for clerkships.

Thanks. That is my initial thought, too.

However, I would love to clerk and would definitely pursue that opportunity at DU if the right things were to fall into place. By selecting DU over CU, do you think I would be setting up additional obstacles for myself if I decide to pursue a judicial clerkship? I don't know much about DU students going on to clerk, but that is something I should look into. I'm sure it can be done, though not with the same "ease" with which a CU student may have in the application/interview process.

upfish

Postby upfish » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:32 pm

Omega10 wrote:

However, I would love to clerk and would definitely pursue that opportunity at DU if the right things were to fall into place. By selecting DU over CU, do you think I would be setting up additional obstacles for myself if I decide to pursue a judicial clerkship? I don't know much about DU students going on to clerk, but that is something I should look into. I'm sure it can be done, though not with the same "ease" with which a CU student may have in the application/interview process.

That's about how I understand it. I don't really know a LOT about anything past the admissions part, just what we were told at the CU ASD and what the employment statistics say. This thread is pretty cool for this too: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681

Edit: I mean that I understand it as you could still GET the clerkship, it just might be slightly more difficult for you.

Omega10

Postby Omega10 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:51 pm

upfish wrote:
Omega10 wrote:

That's about how I understand it. I don't really know a LOT about anything past the admissions part, just what we were told at the CU ASD and what the employment statistics say. This thread is pretty cool for this too: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=150681

Edit: I mean that I understand it as you could still GET the clerkship, it just might be slightly more difficult for you.

That makes sense. Thanks for the thoughts, and for the link. I'll have a lot to think through in the next few weeks.

Other opinion/experience/advice is certainly welcome.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:42 pm

First off, congratulations! If it were me I would choose the full tuition, that is really tough to pass up, especially when you want to stay in CO.

As for the clerkship route. From what I hear, CU is the better school to get into a clerkship, but I can't believe that going to DU would exclude you from being able to go that direction. It might just end up being that you need to do a little more work to search out clerkship opportunities at DU. Maybe the clerkship advantage at CU is something as trivial as the career services pushing clerkships, but I really don't know. My advice is take the full tuition now and figure out the other stuff later.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:06 pm

Off-topic, but y'all better be watching ESPN and cheering on the Buffs!
And look for me!! :wink:

Omega10

Postby Omega10 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:41 pm

ptblazer wrote:First off, congratulations! If it were me I would choose the full tuition, that is really tough to pass up, especially when you want to stay in CO.

As for the clerkship route. From what I hear, CU is the better school to get into a clerkship, but I can't believe that going to DU would exclude you from being able to go that direction. It might just end up being that you need to do a little more work to search out clerkship opportunities at DU. Maybe the clerkship advantage at CU is something as trivial as the career services pushing clerkships, but I really don't know. My advice is take the full tuition now and figure out the other stuff later.

Thank you! Yep, I have a hard time saying "no, thank you" to roughly $120,000 over 3 years (in the city I ultimately hope to live in.) I think DU is the rational choice, and putting in ground work early on in order to set myself up for a clerkship may be my best bet. Even at CU, a clerkship is by no means a "sure thing."

Thanks for your opinion, pt. I definitely appreciate the input.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”