CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby typ3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:47 pm

krad wrote:Ah, index, I gotcha. As a semi-splitter here, I know the feeling! And mwarre, I agree with your prediction for typ3 :)

FWIW, though, about half of the people getting the 12/4/4 (on LSN) are not above both medians...? I think part of the 8/4/4 has to do with in-state vs. OOS.

The people getting the 24/8/8 deal are definitely above both medians, though.



This +1.

I am just curious to know how they treat URMs with scholarships. The only token one we have accepted in this thread is Upfish but she's a splitter so it wouldn't be super indicative.

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:59 pm

typ3 wrote:
krad wrote:Ah, index, I gotcha. As a semi-splitter here, I know the feeling! And mwarre, I agree with your prediction for typ3 :)

FWIW, though, about half of the people getting the 12/4/4 (on LSN) are not above both medians...? I think part of the 8/4/4 has to do with in-state vs. OOS.

The people getting the 24/8/8 deal are definitely above both medians, though.



This +1.

I am just curious to know how they treat URMs with scholarships. The only token one we have accepted in this thread is Upfish but she's a splitter so it wouldn't be super indicative.


Same. I am a minority but not a URM. But at ASW, I felt like a URM at least compared to my undergrad. I have not received anything, nor did I expect to though, with my LSAT score.

I am a reverse splitter.

User avatar
fundamentallybroken
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:09 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
typ3 wrote:
krad wrote:Ah, index, I gotcha. As a semi-splitter here, I know the feeling! And mwarre, I agree with your prediction for typ3 :)

FWIW, though, about half of the people getting the 12/4/4 (on LSN) are not above both medians...? I think part of the 8/4/4 has to do with in-state vs. OOS.

The people getting the 24/8/8 deal are definitely above both medians, though.



This +1.

I am just curious to know how they treat URMs with scholarships. The only token one we have accepted in this thread is Upfish but she's a splitter so it wouldn't be super indicative.


Same. I am a minority but not a URM. But at ASW, I felt like a URM at least compared to my undergrad. I have not received anything, nor did I expect to though, with my LSAT score.

I am a reverse splitter.


Funny you say that - Colorado is actually a pretty white state (70% white not hispanic from the last census), and Colorado law schools are even whiter (80%). The minority population at a Colorado law school is not what you would see at an east or west coast school, particularly in California, and is closer to a southern school (UVA, for example, lists a 19% minority, similar to CU).

That said, I obviously can't say whether the 'feeling' at our schools would be similar to a southern school, but I tend to think not. Although Colorado has a lot of white people, it is also a really laid back state, and I don't think we have some of the tensions you might find in a different region of the country. Of course, I'm white, so the possibility is really there that I just haven't noticed it, because I wouldn't.

EDIT: Hell, I don't even know what the 'feeling' is like at a southern school. Really, I'm just talking out of my ass here, and probably shouldn't even try.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby typ3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:01 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
typ3 wrote:
krad wrote:Ah, index, I gotcha. As a semi-splitter here, I know the feeling! And mwarre, I agree with your prediction for typ3 :)

FWIW, though, about half of the people getting the 12/4/4 (on LSN) are not above both medians...? I think part of the 8/4/4 has to do with in-state vs. OOS.

The people getting the 24/8/8 deal are definitely above both medians, though.



This +1.

I am just curious to know how they treat URMs with scholarships. The only token one we have accepted in this thread is Upfish but she's a splitter so it wouldn't be super indicative.


Same. I am a minority but not a URM. But at ASW, I felt like a URM at least compared to my undergrad. I have not received anything, nor did I expect to though, with my LSAT score.

I am a reverse splitter.


Lizzie, being a woman doesn't make you a minority. :wink: heyo fight the man.

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:20 pm

typ3 wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
typ3 wrote:
krad wrote:Ah, index, I gotcha. As a semi-splitter here, I know the feeling! And mwarre, I agree with your prediction for typ3 :)

FWIW, though, about half of the people getting the 12/4/4 (on LSN) are not above both medians...? I think part of the 8/4/4 has to do with in-state vs. OOS.

The people getting the 24/8/8 deal are definitely above both medians, though.



This +1.

I am just curious to know how they treat URMs with scholarships. The only token one we have accepted in this thread is Upfish but she's a splitter so it wouldn't be super indicative.


Same. I am a minority but not a URM. But at ASW, I felt like a URM at least compared to my undergrad. I have not received anything, nor did I expect to though, with my LSAT score.

I am a reverse splitter.


Lizzie, being a woman doesn't make you a minority. :wink: heyo fight the man.


LOL. Being asian does though :D

But I am a very white-washed asian.

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby upfish » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:09 pm

Do you guys think it's okay to submit a scholarship negotiation letter as a PDF?

User avatar
Maury Levy
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby Maury Levy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:29 pm

upfish wrote:Do you guys think it's okay to submit a scholarship negotiation letter as a PDF?

Probably, but gosh, how long is it that it necessitates a PDF? A Word doc would certainly be easier (and smaller), but I plan on doing any negotiations through just a standard email, using PDFs only for scanned offers from other schools. I wouldn't think submitting something overly formal would sway them one way or another if they didn't find your argument persuasive to begin with.

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby upfish » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:31 pm

Maury Levy wrote:
upfish wrote:Do you guys think it's okay to submit a scholarship negotiation letter as a PDF?

Probably, but gosh, how long is it that it necessitates a PDF? A Word doc would certainly be easier (and smaller), but I plan on doing any negotiations through just a standard email, using PDFs only for scanned offers from other schools. I wouldn't think submitting something overly formal would sway them one way or another if they didn't find your argument persuasive to begin with.


I don't send anything business letter-like in any format other than a PDF. A Word Doc strikes me as unprofessional because it's editable?

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby krad » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:48 pm

upfish wrote: I don't send anything business letter-like in any format other than a PDF. A Word Doc strikes me as unprofessional because it's editable?

:shock: For any of this LS related stuff, I usually send emails that are formatted like a business letter...

User avatar
Maury Levy
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby Maury Levy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:51 pm

upfish wrote:
Maury Levy wrote:
upfish wrote:Do you guys think it's okay to submit a scholarship negotiation letter as a PDF?

Probably, but gosh, how long is it that it necessitates a PDF? A Word doc would certainly be easier (and smaller), but I plan on doing any negotiations through just a standard email, using PDFs only for scanned offers from other schools. I wouldn't think submitting something overly formal would sway them one way or another if they didn't find your argument persuasive to begin with.


I don't send anything business letter-like in any format other than a PDF. A Word Doc strikes me as unprofessional because it's editable?

Makes sense, but most of the adcoms and fin aid people I've dealt with at LS's have gone out of their way to make the whole thing feel very laid back and informal. I've heard similar things about CU, just browsing this thread.

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby krad » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:01 pm

FWIW I've done all my negotiating with schools via email (no attached docs unless they're pdfs of other offers) and I've had some great successes.

At work, I've had clients refuse to open Word docs (as opposed to pdfs or emails) because of virus risk/their IT standards. So, I've never really thought about using Word docs much if ever, tbh. When I was applying to PhD programs a few years ago, many of the profs refused to accept Word docs too. Interesting stuff! /boringWordinfo

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby upfish » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:08 pm

krad wrote:FWIW I've done all my negotiating with schools via email (no attached docs unless they're pdfs of other offers) and I've had some great successes.

At work, I've had clients refuse to open Word docs (as opposed to pdfs or emails) because of virus risk/their IT standards. So, I've never really thought about using Word docs much if ever, tbh. When I was applying to PhD programs a few years ago, many of the profs refused to accept Word docs too. Interesting stuff! /boringWordinfo



Looking back at last year, it seems I took this approach too. But yeah, same re: Word docs. In my office everything is PDFed, or sent in the body of the email. I think I'll do mine the latter way.

Thanks, guys! =)

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:12 pm

Just got mine...12k/4k/4k...hmm...

PatientCreation
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby PatientCreation » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:25 pm

Oh man, I wish I would have found this thread a few months ago! I applied to CU back in January as my top choice (for reasons above and beyond ranking of the school). I still have yet to hear back from them!! Given, my stats weren't amazing with a 3.3/166, but I assumed they would be sending letters out before mid March. This thread is 85 pages of great information and entertaining conversations :wink:
Thanks to OP and everyone who has contributed-
BTW, have you all recieved your scholarship offers yet? (I couldn't get thru all 85 pages before posting-I guess that makes me the a-hole on this thread)

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby typ3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:30 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Just got mine...12k/4k/4k...hmm...


Oh posh. Don't hmm this thread warflamingo. You already said you were taking your talents to UF and leaving us all heart broken.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby chrisbru » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:31 pm

PatientCreation wrote:Oh man, I wish I would have found this thread a few months ago! I applied to CU back in January as my top choice (for reasons above and beyond ranking of the school). I still have yet to hear back from them!! Given, my stats weren't amazing with a 3.3/166, but I assumed they would be sending letters out before mid March. This thread is 85 pages of great information and entertaining conversations :wink:
Thanks to OP and everyone who has contributed-
BTW, have you all recieved your scholarship offers yet? (I couldn't get thru all 85 pages before posting-I guess that makes me the a-hole on this thread)


Nope, people are still waiting. I, for one, expect a miraculous "accepted-off-waitlist-with-full-ride" email to arrive minutes before I submit my deposit to Iowa on March 31...

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:41 pm

typ3 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Just got mine...12k/4k/4k...hmm...


Oh posh. Don't hmm this thread warflamingo. You already said you were taking your talents to UF and leaving us all heart broken.

I know, but this makes CU my cheapest option if I can't get florida residency after the first year, so it's a lot for me to think about now. :? They made this difficult for me...

User avatar
fundamentallybroken
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:42 pm

chrisbru wrote:
PatientCreation wrote:Oh man, I wish I would have found this thread a few months ago! I applied to CU back in January as my top choice (for reasons above and beyond ranking of the school). I still have yet to hear back from them!! Given, my stats weren't amazing with a 3.3/166, but I assumed they would be sending letters out before mid March. This thread is 85 pages of great information and entertaining conversations :wink:
Thanks to OP and everyone who has contributed-
BTW, have you all recieved your scholarship offers yet? (I couldn't get thru all 85 pages before posting-I guess that makes me the a-hole on this thread)


Nope, people are still waiting. I, for one, expect a miraculous "accepted-off-waitlist-with-full-ride" email to arrive minutes before I submit my deposit to Iowa on March 31...


I think what you need to do Chris is copy all of your TLS posts and piece them together into a strange, disjointed LOCI. There's no way they wouldn't take you off the waitlist and hand you a full ride if you did that!

Patient, I applied in December, and heard back two weeks ago. Keep up the waiting, you'll hear soon.

catinthewall
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:50 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby catinthewall » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:47 pm

bananeez wrote:
catinthewall wrote:
tsutsik wrote:Scholarship in the mail today. Is it right that some scholarships are coming with gpa stipulations and others aren't?


I read mine three times. Shocked to see no GPA/class standing stipulation.


Not on the second piece of paper that you send in to them to accept the scholarship?


Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I'm in the process of PCSing to Virginia to be a full-time spy for five more months...

Nothing! Not even on the second paper that I send them to accept the scholarship. Now you can imagine my shock -- full out of state tuition for first year, and full in-state tuition for second and third years with NO GPA/class standing stipulations. They must have a lot of faith that I won't F- it away, huh?!?

Weird.

BeachedBrit
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:30 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby BeachedBrit » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:53 pm

12/4/4 w/ a 174/3.5. It's been fun CU and it was a nice dream, but no thanks. I'll be withdrawing by the end of the week, hope a TLSer can increase their offer because of it.

User avatar
whitman
Posts: 819
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:08 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby whitman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:56 am

BeachedBrit wrote:12/4/4 w/ a 174/3.5. It's been fun CU and it was a nice dream, but no thanks. I'll be withdrawing by the end of the week, hope a TLSer can increase their offer because of it.


+1 with a 172/3.5. Very disappointed. Trying to decide if I should try to negotiate or just withdraw.

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby oldhippie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:03 am

they don't seem to be terribly generous with the $. but for me (and many others i'm sure) CU and boulder are worth not getting as much...then again, i'm a crazy old person who's going back to school so what do i know? :wink:

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby krad » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:29 am

oldhippie wrote:they don't seem to be terribly generous with the $. but for me (and many others i'm sure) CU and boulder are worth not getting as much...then again, i'm a crazy old person who's going back to school so what do i know? :wink:

Yay for withdrawing at other places and prepping for CU!!!! (I thought I'd carry over from SF, it seemed appropriate!

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby oldhippie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:31 am

:mrgreen:
it feels pretty damned good to be committed finally...i'm sending my seat deposit in today!!!
woo-hoo!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PatientCreation
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby PatientCreation » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:33 am

fundamentallybroken wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
PatientCreation wrote:Oh man, I wish I would have found this thread a few months ago! I applied to CU back in January as my top choice (for reasons above and beyond ranking of the school). I still have yet to hear back from them!! Given, my stats weren't amazing with a 3.3/166, but I assumed they would be sending letters out before mid March. This thread is 85 pages of great information and entertaining conversations :wink:
Thanks to OP and everyone who has contributed-
BTW, have you all recieved your scholarship offers yet? (I couldn't get thru all 85 pages before posting-I guess that makes me the a-hole on this thread)


Nope, people are still waiting. I, for one, expect a miraculous "accepted-off-waitlist-with-full-ride" email to arrive minutes before I submit my deposit to Iowa on March 31...


I think what you need to do Chris is copy all of your TLS posts and piece them together into a strange, disjointed LOCI. There's no way they wouldn't take you off the waitlist and hand you a full ride if you did that!

Patient, I applied in December, and heard back two weeks ago. Keep up the waiting, you'll hear soon.


Chris, I am still waiting on a response from Iowa as well! And I was even an undergrad there!... Jerks. I guess taking the December test wasn't the best idea?

So the letter you just got two weeks ago... did that include a scholarship offer?

I don't see what the big deal is... just offer me the chance to study at your school for free and everything will be "hunky-dory," yes? YES.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], mse2020 and 5 guests