CU Boulder 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
upfish

Silver

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Post by upfish » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:12 pm

12/4/4 today. I thought this would put me equal or better than my scholarships elsewhere, but it doesn't by about $3k. Guess it's time to try to negotiate.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:21 pm

radio-edit wrote:
typ3 wrote:Ooo... Do they really use major calculation for their index? I have a 3.6 overall, but a 3.96 polisci but a much lower double major in the hard sciences.
I don't think it's major GPA specifically... I'm on my phone and too lazy to log in to LSAC to check the indexes, but I'm pretty sure CU's uses Degree GPA. I think. Maybe. Unless it changed since I originally checked.

But I took that to mean the GPA on your transcript from your graduating institution, which for me is significantly lower than my overall GPA.
That would be really odd considering that they report the one from LSAC.

Oh wait.. now I think I remember on the application where you provide the gpa and I thought it was really odd since they get a printout from CAS. I put my LSAC gpa. yikes, now I get to worry about this until I hear back.

colorando

New

Post by colorando » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:32 pm

I was wondering if folks who got schollys would mind PMing me their numbers, and any other pertinent info. Looking at applying next cycle and I'm wondering if CU offers money to splitters.

TruePeace10

New

Post by TruePeace10 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:51 pm

12/4/4 scholarship came in yesterday. Im a 165/ 3.4

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:56 pm

colorando wrote:I was wondering if folks who got schollys would mind PMing me their numbers, and any other pertinent info. Looking at applying next cycle and I'm wondering if CU offers money to splitters.
I'm a splitter. 2.75/168. 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:09 pm

upfish wrote:
colorando wrote:I was wondering if folks who got schollys would mind PMing me their numbers, and any other pertinent info. Looking at applying next cycle and I'm wondering if CU offers money to splitters.
and a urm...

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:59 am

crit_racer wrote:
upfish wrote:
and a urm...
Oh, that too. :oops:

CrimLaw300

Bronze

Post by CrimLaw300 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:28 am

Got 24k scholly for 1L and 8k for each of the next 2 yrs. I'll be withdrawing this week, though. Good luck to all.

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:02 am

dammit, i want a scholly.....
stupid mail :evil: :evil:

but congrats to all you lucky people!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LawSchoolPorFavor

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolPorFavor » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:19 am

Has anyone living in NYC received scholly information yet? I got accepted first week of February and I'm starting to get nervous....

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:05 pm

well, i finally got my scholarship info...actually a little disappointing, it is $8k/4k/4k....looks like i'm the only one ITT who got 8 for 1L, everyone else seems to have 12k....i wonder what the difference was? i am qualified for in state tuition, not sure if that's the difference...
anyway, i'm glad i got something, i may try to leverage for more but since i have the GI Bill it may be a moot point if i can't get the scholarship money applied to living expenses rather than tuition...
but the last piece is in place and now i can do some thinking and fo real decision making!!! :D

LawSchoolPorFavor

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolPorFavor » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:06 pm

(sorry for the double post) All we had to do was fill out FAFSA for financial aid, right?

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:11 pm

oldhippie wrote:well, i finally got my scholarship info...actually a little disappointing, it is $8k/4k/4k....looks like i'm the only one ITT who got 8 for 1L, everyone else seems to have 12k....i wonder what the difference was? i am qualified for in state tuition, not sure if that's the difference...
anyway, i'm glad i got something, i may try to leverage for more but since i have the GI Bill it may be a moot point if i can't get the scholarship money applied to living expenses rather than tuition...
but the last piece is in place and now i can do some thinking and fo real decision making!!! :D
That's exactly what I got, I was little disappointed as well, I'm not going to lie. Congrats on getting something, though, right? :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:16 pm

right!!!! :D
in general, i'm totally happy with things :D

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:18 pm

oldhippie wrote:right!!!! :D
in general, i'm totally happy with things :D
I wish I had a GI Bill in my back pocket ;) thanks for your service!

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:20 pm

krad wrote:
oldhippie wrote:well, i finally got my scholarship info...actually a little disappointing, it is $8k/4k/4k....looks like i'm the only one ITT who got 8 for 1L, everyone else seems to have 12k....i wonder what the difference was? i am qualified for in state tuition, not sure if that's the difference...
That's exactly what I got, I was little disappointed as well, I'm not going to lie. Congrats on getting something, though, right? :)

Yea, I assume you two got less since you are in state folk. :(

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:28 pm

Its because you are only above one of their medians. You are no different than a 165/3.6 (going off last years medians of 164/3.61). LSAC does this so schools will still take students with low numbers that they feel will have a great chance of success. This is why it is a "median" and not a true "average." For CU, 165/3.65 should be locks. Note, CU seems to game the rankings a bit less than other schools, but all schools will admit they are at least "rankings conscious."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:34 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:Its because you are only above one of their medians. You are no different than a 165/3.6 (going off last years medians of 164/3.61). LSAC does this so schools will still take students with low numbers that they feel will have a great chance of success. This is why it is a "median" and not a true "average." For CU, 165/3.65 should be locks. Note, CU seems to game the rankings a bit less than other schools, but all schools will admit they are at least "rankings conscious."
? I'm confused here. Are you saying being below one median is why OH got the 8/4/4 vs. 12/4/4 scholly? And what do you mean by "LSAC does this"?

eta: I'm not questioning what you're saying, I just don't really get what you're saying... :)

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:40 pm

krad wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:Its because you are only above one of their medians. You are no different than a 165/3.6 (going off last years medians of 164/3.61). LSAC does this so schools will still take students with low numbers that they feel will have a great chance of success. This is why it is a "median" and not a true "average." For CU, 165/3.65 should be locks. Note, CU seems to game the rankings a bit less than other schools, but all schools will admit they are at least "rankings conscious."
? I'm confused here. Are you saying being below one median is why OH got the 8/4/4 vs. 12/4/4 scholly?
Yea. He's saying that despite her 170/3.5 she got the 8/4/4/ over a candidate with a 165/3.65 who would get a 12/4/4. Despite the fact that OH would have a higher index, they give you the most $ if you're above both medians (something I disagree with). Obviously as somewhat of a splitter myself I have to disagree with that. Nothing like having a double major in bio engineering to pull your gpa down :evil:

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:41 pm

krad wrote:
? I'm confused here. Are you saying being below one median is why OH got the 8/4/4 vs. 12/4/4 scholly?
I think its probable. If you were an admissions officer, and could entice student A with numbers that would raise both of your USNWR medians or entice student B with numbers that would raise one of your USNWR medians while lowering the other median, which one would you entice? LSAT does count for more than GPA --12.5% vs 10% in the USNWR calculations, and the difference between one space --164 vs 165 and 3.60 and 3.61 is more drastic with an LSAT than with a GPA, but I think the admissions officers would first offer scholarships to those who are above both medians.

Its kinda the same reasons splitters like me have to wait so long in admissions. Above above gets in right away, but if you split they might wait and see how there class shapes up before making a decision on you.

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:42 pm

typ3 wrote:
krad wrote:
Yea. He's saying that despite her 170/3.5 she got the 8/4/4/ over a candidate with a 165/3.65 who would get a 12/4/4. Despite the fact that OH would have a higher index, they give you the most $ if you're above both medians (something I disagree with). Obviously as somewhat of a splitter myself I have to disagree with that. Nothing like having a double major in bio engineering to pull your gpa down :evil:

Ha speak of the devil. It was your GPA that allowed for my prediction in the DU thread.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:44 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
krad wrote:
I think its probable. If you were an admissions officer, and could entice student A with numbers that would raise both of your USNWR medians or entice student B with numbers that would raise one of your USNWR medians while lowering the other median, which one would you entice? LSAT does count for more than GPA --12.5% vs 10% in the USNWR calculations, and the difference between one space --164 vs 165 and 3.60 and 3.61 is more drastic with an LSAT than with a GPA, but I think the admissions officers would first offer scholarships to those who are above both medians.

Its kinda the same reasons splitters like me have to wait so long in admissions. Above above gets in right away, but if you split they might wait and see how there class shapes up before making a decision on you.
What would they offer you if you were a 180/3.5? 8/4/4. I would sure hope not. That 180 is a lot rarer than a 4.0

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:44 pm

interesting, thanks for the theories. it makes sense, and if i had only known decades ago that i'd give a crap about my UG GPA i may have tried a little harder!! :)
but it's all good, now i have the facts and can move ahead one way or another (most likely in the direction of CU!)

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:46 pm

Ah, index, I gotcha. As a semi-splitter here, I know the feeling! And mwarre, I agree with your prediction for typ3 :)

FWIW, though, about half of the people getting the 12/4/4 (on LSN) are not above both medians...? I think part of the 8/4/4 has to do with in-state vs. OOS.

The people getting the 24/8/8 deal are definitely above both medians, though.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:46 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
typ3 wrote:
krad wrote:

Ha speak of the devil. It was your GPA that allowed for my prediction in the DU thread.

We'll see. It depends on where the SO gets into her programs. I ultimately think it will come down to Iowa and Denver.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”