CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby upfish » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:12 pm

12/4/4 today. I thought this would put me equal or better than my scholarships elsewhere, but it doesn't by about $3k. Guess it's time to try to negotiate.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby typ3 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:21 pm

radio-edit wrote:
typ3 wrote:Ooo... Do they really use major calculation for their index? I have a 3.6 overall, but a 3.96 polisci but a much lower double major in the hard sciences.


I don't think it's major GPA specifically... I'm on my phone and too lazy to log in to LSAC to check the indexes, but I'm pretty sure CU's uses Degree GPA. I think. Maybe. Unless it changed since I originally checked.

But I took that to mean the GPA on your transcript from your graduating institution, which for me is significantly lower than my overall GPA.


That would be really odd considering that they report the one from LSAC.

Oh wait.. now I think I remember on the application where you provide the gpa and I thought it was really odd since they get a printout from CAS. I put my LSAC gpa. yikes, now I get to worry about this until I hear back.

colorando
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby colorando » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:32 pm

I was wondering if folks who got schollys would mind PMing me their numbers, and any other pertinent info. Looking at applying next cycle and I'm wondering if CU offers money to splitters.

TruePeace10
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby TruePeace10 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:51 pm

12/4/4 scholarship came in yesterday. Im a 165/ 3.4

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby upfish » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:56 pm

colorando wrote:I was wondering if folks who got schollys would mind PMing me their numbers, and any other pertinent info. Looking at applying next cycle and I'm wondering if CU offers money to splitters.


I'm a splitter. 2.75/168. 8)

crit_racer
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby crit_racer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:09 pm

upfish wrote:
colorando wrote:I was wondering if folks who got schollys would mind PMing me their numbers, and any other pertinent info. Looking at applying next cycle and I'm wondering if CU offers money to splitters.


I'm a splitter. 2.75/168. 8)


and a urm...

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby upfish » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:59 am

crit_racer wrote:
upfish wrote:
colorando wrote:I was wondering if folks who got schollys would mind PMing me their numbers, and any other pertinent info. Looking at applying next cycle and I'm wondering if CU offers money to splitters.


I'm a splitter. 2.75/168. 8)


and a urm...


Oh, that too. :oops:

CrimLaw300
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby CrimLaw300 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:28 am

Got 24k scholly for 1L and 8k for each of the next 2 yrs. I'll be withdrawing this week, though. Good luck to all.

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby oldhippie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:02 am

dammit, i want a scholly.....
stupid mail :evil: :evil:

but congrats to all you lucky people!!!

LawSchoolPorFavor
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:21 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby LawSchoolPorFavor » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:19 am

Has anyone living in NYC received scholly information yet? I got accepted first week of February and I'm starting to get nervous....

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby oldhippie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:05 pm

well, i finally got my scholarship info...actually a little disappointing, it is $8k/4k/4k....looks like i'm the only one ITT who got 8 for 1L, everyone else seems to have 12k....i wonder what the difference was? i am qualified for in state tuition, not sure if that's the difference...
anyway, i'm glad i got something, i may try to leverage for more but since i have the GI Bill it may be a moot point if i can't get the scholarship money applied to living expenses rather than tuition...
but the last piece is in place and now i can do some thinking and fo real decision making!!! :D

LawSchoolPorFavor
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:21 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby LawSchoolPorFavor » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:06 pm

(sorry for the double post) All we had to do was fill out FAFSA for financial aid, right?

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby krad » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:11 pm

oldhippie wrote:well, i finally got my scholarship info...actually a little disappointing, it is $8k/4k/4k....looks like i'm the only one ITT who got 8 for 1L, everyone else seems to have 12k....i wonder what the difference was? i am qualified for in state tuition, not sure if that's the difference...
anyway, i'm glad i got something, i may try to leverage for more but since i have the GI Bill it may be a moot point if i can't get the scholarship money applied to living expenses rather than tuition...
but the last piece is in place and now i can do some thinking and fo real decision making!!! :D

That's exactly what I got, I was little disappointed as well, I'm not going to lie. Congrats on getting something, though, right? :)

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby oldhippie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:16 pm

right!!!! :D
in general, i'm totally happy with things :D

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby krad » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:18 pm

oldhippie wrote:right!!!! :D
in general, i'm totally happy with things :D

I wish I had a GI Bill in my back pocket ;) thanks for your service!

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby typ3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:20 pm

krad wrote:
oldhippie wrote:well, i finally got my scholarship info...actually a little disappointing, it is $8k/4k/4k....looks like i'm the only one ITT who got 8 for 1L, everyone else seems to have 12k....i wonder what the difference was? i am qualified for in state tuition, not sure if that's the difference...
anyway, i'm glad i got something, i may try to leverage for more but since i have the GI Bill it may be a moot point if i can't get the scholarship money applied to living expenses rather than tuition...
but the last piece is in place and now i can do some thinking and fo real decision making!!! :D

That's exactly what I got, I was little disappointed as well, I'm not going to lie. Congrats on getting something, though, right? :)



Yea, I assume you two got less since you are in state folk. :(

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:28 pm

oldhippie wrote:well, i finally got my scholarship info...actually a little disappointing, it is $8k/4k/4k....looks like i'm the only one ITT who got 8 for 1L, everyone else seems to have 12k....i wonder what the difference was? i am qualified for in state tuition, not sure if that's the difference...
anyway, i'm glad i got something, i may try to leverage for more but since i have the GI Bill it may be a moot point if i can't get the scholarship money applied to living expenses rather than tuition...
but the last piece is in place and now i can do some thinking and fo real decision making!!! :D


Its because you are only above one of their medians. You are no different than a 165/3.6 (going off last years medians of 164/3.61). LSAC does this so schools will still take students with low numbers that they feel will have a great chance of success. This is why it is a "median" and not a true "average." For CU, 165/3.65 should be locks. Note, CU seems to game the rankings a bit less than other schools, but all schools will admit they are at least "rankings conscious."

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby krad » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:34 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:Its because you are only above one of their medians. You are no different than a 165/3.6 (going off last years medians of 164/3.61). LSAC does this so schools will still take students with low numbers that they feel will have a great chance of success. This is why it is a "median" and not a true "average." For CU, 165/3.65 should be locks. Note, CU seems to game the rankings a bit less than other schools, but all schools will admit they are at least "rankings conscious."

? I'm confused here. Are you saying being below one median is why OH got the 8/4/4 vs. 12/4/4 scholly? And what do you mean by "LSAC does this"?

eta: I'm not questioning what you're saying, I just don't really get what you're saying... :)

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby typ3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:40 pm

krad wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:Its because you are only above one of their medians. You are no different than a 165/3.6 (going off last years medians of 164/3.61). LSAC does this so schools will still take students with low numbers that they feel will have a great chance of success. This is why it is a "median" and not a true "average." For CU, 165/3.65 should be locks. Note, CU seems to game the rankings a bit less than other schools, but all schools will admit they are at least "rankings conscious."

? I'm confused here. Are you saying being below one median is why OH got the 8/4/4 vs. 12/4/4 scholly?


Yea. He's saying that despite her 170/3.5 she got the 8/4/4/ over a candidate with a 165/3.65 who would get a 12/4/4. Despite the fact that OH would have a higher index, they give you the most $ if you're above both medians (something I disagree with). Obviously as somewhat of a splitter myself I have to disagree with that. Nothing like having a double major in bio engineering to pull your gpa down :evil:

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:41 pm

krad wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:Its because you are only above one of their medians. You are no different than a 165/3.6 (going off last years medians of 164/3.61). LSAC does this so schools will still take students with low numbers that they feel will have a great chance of success. This is why it is a "median" and not a true "average." For CU, 165/3.65 should be locks. Note, CU seems to game the rankings a bit less than other schools, but all schools will admit they are at least "rankings conscious."

? I'm confused here. Are you saying being below one median is why OH got the 8/4/4 vs. 12/4/4 scholly?


I think its probable. If you were an admissions officer, and could entice student A with numbers that would raise both of your USNWR medians or entice student B with numbers that would raise one of your USNWR medians while lowering the other median, which one would you entice? LSAT does count for more than GPA --12.5% vs 10% in the USNWR calculations, and the difference between one space --164 vs 165 and 3.60 and 3.61 is more drastic with an LSAT than with a GPA, but I think the admissions officers would first offer scholarships to those who are above both medians.

Its kinda the same reasons splitters like me have to wait so long in admissions. Above above gets in right away, but if you split they might wait and see how there class shapes up before making a decision on you.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:42 pm

typ3 wrote:
krad wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:Its because you are only above one of their medians. You are no different than a 165/3.6 (going off last years medians of 164/3.61). LSAC does this so schools will still take students with low numbers that they feel will have a great chance of success. This is why it is a "median" and not a true "average." For CU, 165/3.65 should be locks. Note, CU seems to game the rankings a bit less than other schools, but all schools will admit they are at least "rankings conscious."

? I'm confused here. Are you saying being below one median is why OH got the 8/4/4 vs. 12/4/4 scholly?


Yea. He's saying that despite her 170/3.5 she got the 8/4/4/ over a candidate with a 165/3.65 who would get a 12/4/4. Despite the fact that OH would have a higher index, they give you the most $ if you're above both medians (something I disagree with). Obviously as somewhat of a splitter myself I have to disagree with that. Nothing like having a double major in bio engineering to pull your gpa down :evil:



Ha speak of the devil. It was your GPA that allowed for my prediction in the DU thread.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby typ3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:44 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
krad wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:Its because you are only above one of their medians. You are no different than a 165/3.6 (going off last years medians of 164/3.61). LSAC does this so schools will still take students with low numbers that they feel will have a great chance of success. This is why it is a "median" and not a true "average." For CU, 165/3.65 should be locks. Note, CU seems to game the rankings a bit less than other schools, but all schools will admit they are at least "rankings conscious."

? I'm confused here. Are you saying being below one median is why OH got the 8/4/4 vs. 12/4/4 scholly?


I think its probable. If you were an admissions officer, and could entice student A with numbers that would raise both of your USNWR medians or entice student B with numbers that would raise one of your USNWR medians while lowering the other median, which one would you entice? LSAT does count for more than GPA --12.5% vs 10% in the USNWR calculations, and the difference between one space --164 vs 165 and 3.60 and 3.61 is more drastic with an LSAT than with a GPA, but I think the admissions officers would first offer scholarships to those who are above both medians.

Its kinda the same reasons splitters like me have to wait so long in admissions. Above above gets in right away, but if you split they might wait and see how there class shapes up before making a decision on you.


What would they offer you if you were a 180/3.5? 8/4/4. I would sure hope not. That 180 is a lot rarer than a 4.0

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby oldhippie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:44 pm

interesting, thanks for the theories. it makes sense, and if i had only known decades ago that i'd give a crap about my UG GPA i may have tried a little harder!! :)
but it's all good, now i have the facts and can move ahead one way or another (most likely in the direction of CU!)

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby krad » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:46 pm

Ah, index, I gotcha. As a semi-splitter here, I know the feeling! And mwarre, I agree with your prediction for typ3 :)

FWIW, though, about half of the people getting the 12/4/4 (on LSN) are not above both medians...? I think part of the 8/4/4 has to do with in-state vs. OOS.

The people getting the 24/8/8 deal are definitely above both medians, though.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby typ3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:46 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
typ3 wrote:
krad wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:Its because you are only above one of their medians. You are no different than a 165/3.6 (going off last years medians of 164/3.61). LSAC does this so schools will still take students with low numbers that they feel will have a great chance of success. This is why it is a "median" and not a true "average." For CU, 165/3.65 should be locks. Note, CU seems to game the rankings a bit less than other schools, but all schools will admit they are at least "rankings conscious."

? I'm confused here. Are you saying being below one median is why OH got the 8/4/4 vs. 12/4/4 scholly?


Yea. He's saying that despite her 170/3.5 she got the 8/4/4/ over a candidate with a 165/3.65 who would get a 12/4/4. Despite the fact that OH would have a higher index, they give you the most $ if you're above both medians (something I disagree with). Obviously as somewhat of a splitter myself I have to disagree with that. Nothing like having a double major in bio engineering to pull your gpa down :evil:



Ha speak of the devil. It was your GPA that allowed for my prediction in the DU thread.



We'll see. It depends on where the SO gets into her programs. I ultimately think it will come down to Iowa and Denver.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, Ca2021, JosefK, potterotter, proteinshake, xn3345 and 12 guests