CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ArchRoark

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:39 pm

whitman wrote:12,000 first year, 4000 second and third. Very disappointing. I was pumped about the school...

Ditto

I was wishing I would get the 24k/8k/8k

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:17 am

i'd take any damned thing at this point. stupid mail....

upfish

Postby upfish » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:36 am

oldhippie wrote:i'd take any damned thing at this point. stupid mail....

Feeling the same way. D= I got an increase from Santa Clara of $500, but I mostly just applied there for leverage at other schools (fee waivers FTW!), so I am just like "..." Where's my Colorado mail!? (Maybe it isn't coming because my GPA is so bad?)

krad

Postby krad » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:36 am

:? Hopefully you'll hear something soon! Has your mail started coming to your new place??

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:41 am

krad wrote:

:? Hopefully you'll hear something soon! Has your mail started coming to your new place??

just started yesterday. poor timing on my part!!! but i know it'll come (i know it'll come, i know it'll come, i know it'll come.....)
:)

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:51 am

I feel like CU scholarships have been a let down. They need to get on other law school's levels in terms of aid.

It's sad but this thread seems to be losing steam since everyone appears to have more financially responsible and attractive offers elsewhere.

upfish

Postby upfish » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:56 am

typ3 wrote:I feel like CU scholarships have been a let down. They need to get on other law school's levels in terms of aid.

It's sad but this thread seems to be losing steam since everyone appears to have more financially responsible and attractive offers elsewhere.

I will valiantly hold onto this thread! The job prospects made me not fear sticker...which is...scary.

krad

Postby krad » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:58 am

To quote a fellow TLSer:
Bildungsroman wrote: CO public higher education right now is facing some serious budget problems due to state revenue shortfalls and restrictions on the imposition of new taxes (blame TABOR).

I think this is playing a big role. Of the other offers I'm considering, only two are from public universities, one of which was recently given a huge endowment to be used in scholly $ (in addition to other areas).

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:13 pm

krad wrote:To quote a fellow TLSer:
Bildungsroman wrote: CO public higher education right now is facing some serious budget problems due to state revenue shortfalls and restrictions on the imposition of new taxes (blame TABOR).

I think this is playing a big role. Of the other offers I'm considering, only two are from public universities, one of which was recently given a huge endowment to be used in scholly $ (in addition to other areas).

Agreed -- the fact that federal stimulus funding will not be replaced means that, with Colorado Gov. Hickenlooper's proposed budget cuts, higher education would see a total $125 million net decrease from the current year if his proposal passes.

But also, CU never seems to give out a ton of merit money. I didn't expect more. It is also cheaper than several of schools you guys are mentioning.

catinthewall

Postby catinthewall » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:25 pm

tsutsik wrote:Scholarship in the mail today. Is it right that some scholarships are coming with gpa stipulations and others aren't?

I read mine three times. Shocked to see no GPA/class standing stipulation.

catinthewall

Postby catinthewall » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:28 pm

typ3 wrote:I feel like CU scholarships have been a let down. They need to get on other law school's levels in terms of aid.

Could it be YP? I wonder if they are only offering the bigger scholarships to people with the numbers most likely to stay. For example, my numbers are not much above the medians, and while I have smaller scholarship offers to Emory, BU, and W&M, I have a difficult decision to make...

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:29 pm

catinthewall wrote:
tsutsik wrote:Scholarship in the mail today. Is it right that some scholarships are coming with gpa stipulations and others aren't?

Not on the second piece of paper that you send in to them to accept the scholarship?

tsutsik

Postby tsutsik » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:37 pm

bananeez wrote:
catinthewall wrote:

Not on the second piece of paper that you send in to them to accept the scholarship?

Right. My scholarship letter itself didn't mention any gpa stipulations, but the scholarship agreement that came with it and that I need to send back to them does mention a gpa stipulation.

tsutsik

Postby tsutsik » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:39 pm

Does anyone have information about the curve? gpa stipulations scare me.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:40 pm

tsutsik wrote:Does anyone have information about the curve? gpa stipulations scare me.

They said at ASD that median is around 88 (B+ range).

lfp

Postby lfp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:45 pm

Any one else out there on the CU waitlist/managed to get off of it? Looking for some advice on how to make myself the most marketable in my LOCI...

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:06 pm

lfp wrote:Any one else out there on the CU waitlist/managed to get off of it? Looking for some advice on how to make myself the most marketable in my LOCI...

I would guess that you aren't going to get off a WL quite this early since they still haven't processed all the applicants. Scour the website and mention clinics / programs that you would like to partake in, mention any local or regional connections as for reasons why you want to attend CU. Make sure you update them with any new jobs / positions you've taken since sending in your application.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:22 pm

catinthewall wrote:

Could it be YP? I wonder if they are only offering the bigger scholarships to people with the numbers most likely to stay. For example, my numbers are not much above the medians, and while I have smaller scholarship offers to Emory, BU, and W&M, I have a difficult decision to make...

Maybe... but your softs are like a 180. I think because they are truly limited in funds that they don't play the numbers game like their peers (throw out money to lift medians). They always seem to boast decent numbers despite few dollars given out (+1 for trust fund babies and the rocky mountain appeal).

If I were in your shoes I would retake and apply HYS I'm sure you could get into those with just a few points higher on your LSAT.

catinthewall

Postby catinthewall » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:34 pm

typ3 wrote:
catinthewall wrote:

Maybe... but your softs are like a 180. I think because they are truly limited in funds that they don't play the numbers game like their peers (throw out money to lift medians). They always seem to boast decent numbers despite few dollars given out (+1 for trust fund babies and the rocky mountain appeal).

If I were in your shoes I would retake and apply HYS I'm sure you could get into those with just a few points higher on your LSAT.

You're the second person in less than 24 hours to suggest this... thanks, I'm flattered, but I'm sick of that test. Besides, I'm going active duty again from mid-March to mid-August.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:40 pm

If they don't have the funds, then increased scholarships aren't happening. Colorado has the location. Boulder is usually ranked as the top college town in the US, but it is also a lifelong destination for professionals whether working in Boulder or Denver. Indiana & Iowa offer better scholarships--but at what price long-term & even in the near-term ? Better to be stuck in the Boulder/Denver area after law school than in Des Moines or Indianapolis, in my opinion.

krad

Postby krad » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:45 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:If they don't have the funds, then increased scholarships aren't happening. Colorado has the location. Boulder is usually ranked as the top college town in the US, but it is also a lifelong destination for professionals whether working in Boulder or Denver. Indiana & Iowa offer better scholarships--but at what price long-term & even in the near-term ? Better to be stuck in the Boulder/Denver area after law school than in Des Moines or Indianapolis, in my opinion.

Truth!

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:58 pm

Edit: I'm pretty sick and I'm not putting together good thoughts right now, including what I just wrote. So, I've deleted part of my post.

I think most law schools are the money makers for their university (highest tuition, one of the lowest overheads), so maybe CU is fine using the law school to finance the other departments, as they are probably in no danger of turning off high caliber applicants.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:14 pm

ptblazer wrote:Edit: I'm pretty sick and I'm not putting together good thoughts right now, including what I just wrote. So, I've deleted part of my post.

I think most law schools are the money makers for their university (highest tuition, one of the lowest overheads), so maybe CU is fine using the law school to finance the other departments, as they are probably in no danger of turning off high caliber applicants.

This. Hence the reason why for years law schools would increase class sizes by 5 or 10 students. Without having to add anymore staff they could generate an extra 150k-500k depending on the tuition price and number of students they added. However, I wonder how that is working out this year since apps are down and some schools are cutting class sizes. Likely wouldn't bother CU since they are a top 50 anyway.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:22 pm

ptblazer wrote:Edit: I'm pretty sick and I'm not putting together good thoughts right now, including what I just wrote. So, I've deleted part of my post.

Most law schools are pretty much independent from the rest of the school from what I've seen. They have their own budget, endowment, etc. I highly doubt that CU law is bankrolling other departments. I think it's way more likely that they are still paying for the new building or they just know that there are enough people out there willing to pay.

For me, the questions isn't Indiana vs Colorado. The answer to that is obvious. The real question is ~>$100k debt for CU vs <$50k debt for IUB. Not as obvious.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:33 pm

JakeL wrote: Most law schools are pretty much independent from the rest of the school from what I've seen. They have their own budget, endowment, etc. I highly doubt that CU law is bankrolling other departments. I think it's way more likely that they are still paying for the new building or they just know that there are enough people out there willing to pay.

For me, the questions isn't Indiana vs Colorado. The answer to that is obvious. The real question is ~>$100k debt for CU vs <$50k debt for IUB. Not as obvious.

I have to disagree, but to what extent I don't know. Some departments are so expensive that tuition and endowments can't come close to funding it, like the sciences. Undergrad science can possibly be a money loser (depending on the department size), but it doesn't come close to how expensive graduate level sciences are for the school. All PhD chemistry grad students, for example, pays 0 tuition plus receives a living stipend at any university worth going to.
Last edited by ptblazer on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”