CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
franklin14

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby franklin14 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:23 pm

bananeez wrote:+1 Well said. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you, franklin!

Thanks. Same here. I had a lot of running around to do in Boulder/Denver with friends and am generally awkward. Glad to hear the happy hour was fun though.

krad

Postby krad » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:23 pm

franklin14 wrote:

Thanks. Same here. I had a lot of running around to do in Boulder/Denver with friends and am generally awkward. Glad to hear the happy hour was fun though.

:) That made me smile!

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:38 pm

On Keystone, Saturday I was literally everywhere. I just avoided those blacks in the middle, mainly. Since I was mostly skiing by myself, I can't tell you how many times I got to have the conversation about visting CU, law school, etc. with people on the lift.

I enjoyed the visit to Boulder. I didn't get to spend too much time around the town or hanging out with you lot, since my flight got in late Thurs and I was heading to Keystone Friday evening. So I mostly just drove around Boulder once the ASD stuff finished, and grabbed dinner. I would have liked to spend more time in Boulder, but so it goes.

For the building - it's incredibly obvious it's a new building. I'm not sure there's much to say beyond that. Everything in the building seemed really nice to me, and the library seemed big enough in my opinion. It has a bit of a weird layout, but I don't see it being short on space really. The classrooms seemed to be pretty much standard.

The morning coffee part took me a second to get into. I walked in, and everyone seemed already engaged in conversation. I started talking to another prospective student who had just wandered in about hockey, but it wasn't more than 2 minutes before a faculty member started talking to us too. I thought this part was a good start to the day, to get people casually talking to each other about the school, etc. No complaints here. The opening address was vanilla, whatever. I'm just going to the group the lunch in here too. I had lunch with a 3L and 1L as well as 2 other prospective students. We had a pretty good conversation about the law school application process in general. I'm not sure how much faculty was available over lunch, but it might have been nice to talk to some faculty too. Food was good, the vegetarian sandwiches were great!

I thought the student panel was fine - I didn't feel like the students were lying to us. I think having a mix of students on the panel was a good thing. I didn't mind the tone towards DU, but I'm also not considering DU at all. I can see how that could be taken the wrong way by someone who is deciding between DU/CU and I would hope they realize this for next time. If you think about it, basic TLS wisdom says pick a school where you don't know where you'll rank. What helps you more to do that than a panel with students outside of the top of the class? The top of the class on the panel would probably just have the rose tinted glasses you're likely to get from the admissions office anyway. Probably the best part of the day, imo.

The tour, however, was where things started to go a bit downhill for me. Our guide couldn't really get people talking. She'd just ask "any questions?" and everyone was willing to be quiet. I could have accomplished the same by wandering around the building for 10 minutes by myself. Without people talking to the guide, or each other really, it just made the tour feel awkward and useless. Here's the real problem there: I didn't think I had any questions, but towards the very end, we finally got to chatting, and in the conversation, I realized there were some questions I had. If we had been conversing the whole time, who knows what else I might have learned about CU?

And I really just don't understand the purpose of the Mock Trial. What about that was supposed to make me want to go to CU, or even law school in general? All it did was bore me for a half-hour. Overall, after-lunch I didn't find too interesting. The fin-aid guy was okay, the career services lady did what she could with 10 minutes. The mock class was okay, I didn't take much away from it about CU though.

Overall, I found CU emphasizing a few things throughout ASW. First, they really emphasized the community and atmosphere. This might have been a confirmation bias, because this is what I wanted to hear and what I expected to be emphasized beforehand. Second, I heard a ton about the criminal clinic. Not sure if this was just the people I talked to, but I felt like I heard wayyy too much about a clinic I am not interested in. The ASD left me more or less where I expected to be walking in: I like CU, and would really like to go there. I thought I would be, and I am down to deciding between CU(w/???) and Indiana (w/120).

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:43 pm

LeDique wrote:I am down to deciding between CU(w/???) and Indiana (w/120).

Lol this is basically how it is for anyone with a 166 or higher who applied to Indiana. You could probably replace CU with 50 other schools too for all the ppl on TLS.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:55 pm

JakeL wrote:
LeDique wrote:I am down to deciding between CU(w/???) and Indiana (w/120).

Lol this is basically how it is for anyone with a 166 or higher who applied to Indiana. You could probably replace CU with 50 other schools too for all the ppl on TLS.

I know. I'm pretty sure without that offer I'd be at CU in the fall.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:06 pm

krad wrote:
franklin14 wrote:

You just won me over. :D

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:10 pm

bananeez wrote:
jwmalone87 wrote:I saw that you just got accepted into Davis, too...where does that stand on your list? A lot of the same things that I like about Boulder (small-ish town, sense of community among the students) are what's also drawing me there. Whadya think?

It's a strong contender. I really like Davis, it reminds me of CU a little bit for the reasons you said. And I think I would like living there. That, and the alum having a strong presence in public interest and government make it very tempting. But I think CU has a solid hold on my heart now. And Davis is super expensive. I haven't gotten the official letter yet, so haven't heard about money, but as of now, it will cost me about $19,000 more the first year. So I think I'm going to have hard time picking that over CU.

Whatya think?

Still not sure...I still need to visit the school, but I like their reputation in public interest work and I kinda want to end up in California anyway. Plus, I hear they give out some sizable grants to poor mofos like me :) I just hope their student body is anywhere comparable to what I experienced at CU.

And LeDique, it sounds like we were part of the same tour. :lol: Enjoyed the ASD but not the most productive use of our time.

boilerup89

Postby boilerup89 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:22 pm

Glad to meet a few of you guys at ASD last Friday.

Overall I thought it went really really well.

Things that impressed me:

A week before ASD I got a very personal email from a CU Professor that went to Purdue as a grad student that touched on why she thought I should attend CU. The letter clearly showed that she read all of my admissions info. To my surprise the same professor was the first CU faculty member I talked to during the coffee social.

The building is by far the nicest of any law school I have visited.

Every student I talked to (5-8 probably) had impressive summer jobs lined up and not a single one was top third. Also, at least half of them had Natural Resources/Enviro jobs lined up, which is ultimately what I think I would like to do.

The student body seemed very active.

The three professors I talked to in length were young and exciting and seemed to be genuinely caring for their students.

I talked to the Dean of Financial Aid for probably 45 mins and he was knowledgeable, realistic, and very helpful in general.

The nightlife is pretty incredible and the mountain hike I took with friends to cure whatever hangover I had was amazing

Things that were meh:

As everyone has mentioned the mock trial was pretty weak sauce. I thought this was mostly due to the confusing structure, but I certainly could have done without it.

Overall:

CU def moved up my ladder. As of now its my top choice. Money from Utah or a super impressive visit at ASU could change that but there's probably a 60% chance I'm taking my talents to Boulder 8)

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:25 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:And LeDique, it sounds like we were part of the same tour. :lol: Enjoyed the ASD but not the most productive use of our time.

With the chick who played the defendant in the mock trial?

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:33 pm

LeDique wrote:
jwmalone87 wrote:And LeDique, it sounds like we were part of the same tour. :lol: Enjoyed the ASD but not the most productive use of our time.

Haha yeah that's the one. Awkward silences abound.

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:52 pm

Glad to hear everyone had a fun/ awkward turtle time at ASW. :D
So back from a long weekend to find CU scholly in the mail!! 24k for 1L and 8k for 2L and 3L. Weird distribution and not great but it's definitely enough to keep CU in the running. So yay and thanks CU!
Can't wait to visit next week.
:mrgreen:

upfish

Postby upfish » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:21 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:
LeDique wrote:

If it makes you feel any better, the tour w/the pink-shirted girl from the student panel was similarly awkward haha.

krad

Postby krad » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:23 pm

bananeez wrote:
krad wrote:
franklin14 wrote:

You just won me over. :D

:D

I never would have guessed that the tours were so awkward! Weird.

upfish

Postby upfish » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:25 pm

boilerup89 wrote:
Every student I talked to (5-8 probably) had impressive summer jobs lined up and not a single one was top third. Also, at least half of them had Natural Resources/Enviro jobs lined up, which is ultimately what I think I would like to do.

Seconding that first part. I was really impressed.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:27 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:Glad to hear everyone had a fun/ awkward turtle time at ASW. :D
So back from a long weekend to find CU scholly in the mail!! 24k for 1L and 8k for 2L and 3L. Weird distribution and not great but it's definitely enough to keep CU in the running. So yay and thanks CU!
Can't wait to visit next week.
:mrgreen:

Try leveraging that and see if they bite or increase it.

DJsm20

Postby DJsm20 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:13 pm

Just got scholly thru snail mail. 12000 first year then 4000 2nd and 3rd year Strange amounts but wonder if has to do with gaining residency for last two years? Every bit helps so I'm happy.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:18 pm

DJsm20 wrote:Just got scholly thru snail mail. 12000 first year then 4000 2nd and 3rd year Strange amounts but wonder if has to do with gaining residency for last two years? Every bit helps so I'm happy.

Resident schollies apparently have the same stepdown, so I don't think it has to do with in-state tuition. My theory is that they expect you to start working during 1L/2L summer, and can start kicking in more of a contribution. Other, admitted student schollies may be available as well after 1L.

tsutsik

Postby tsutsik » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:59 pm

Scholarship in the mail today. Is it right that some scholarships are coming with gpa stipulations and others aren't?

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:23 pm

upfish wrote:
jwmalone87 wrote:
LeDique wrote:

If it makes you feel any better, the tour w/the pink-shirted girl from the student panel was similarly awkward haha.

+1.

Upfish, I think we were on the same tour?

upfish

Postby upfish » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:27 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
upfish wrote:

+1.

Possibly! I'm constantly oblivious to my environment haha. That entire tour I was waiting on a text message and just not super present in the moment.

Did she kind of irritate you like she did me? For some reason I can't get past how cavalier she is about being jobless and not knowing what she wants to do. But maybe I'm really harsh. (Probably.)

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:37 pm

upfish wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
upfish wrote:

+1.

Possibly! I'm constantly oblivious to my environment haha. That entire tour I was waiting on a text message and just not super present in the moment.

Did she kind of irritate you like she did me? For some reason I can't get past how cavalier she is about being jobless and not knowing what she wants to do. But maybe I'm really harsh. (Probably.)

Yeah that did kind of bother me a little. But I think overall I met so many cool people that I almost forgot about her after the ASD was all over with.

At any rate, The best tour I've been on was W&M's. It was only me and one other person so I think that helped made it less awkward compared to the other tours.

upfish

Postby upfish » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:47 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
upfish wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
upfish wrote:

+1.

Yeah that did kind of bother me a little. But I think overall I met so many cool people that I almost forgot about her after the ASD was all over with.

At any rate, The best tour I've been on was W&M's. It was only me and one other person so I think that helped made it less awkward compared to the other tours.

Yeah, I met some other current students that were cool, and I largely forgot her. I think she stuck in my head so much because I also spoke w/her at the coffee and registration part, and she seemed a lot...different? So I think I kind of latched onto my irritation with the switch.

Although probably a good portion of my irritation w/anything at the ASD was my incredible sleeplessness. Left for the airport at 3:30A on Thursday, didn't sleep 'til about then early Friday morning, and was up at 6 to get to the ASD because I am insane. :shock:

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:55 pm

upfish wrote:
Yeah, I met some other current students that were cool, and I largely forgot her. I think she stuck in my head so much because I also spoke w/her at the coffee and registration part, and she seemed a lot...different? So I think I kind of latched onto my irritation with the switch.

Although probably a good portion of my irritation w/anything at the ASD was my incredible sleeplessness. Left for the airport at 3:30A on Thursday, didn't sleep 'til about then early Friday morning, and was up at 6 to get to the ASD because I am insane. :shock:

LOL.

I was really tired too, since I got up at 5AM just to go run....

whitman

Postby whitman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:22 pm

12,000 first year, 4000 second and third. Very disappointing. I was pumped about the school, but with a much larger scholarship from Vanderbilt...dammit. There goes my dream of Lefthand.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:27 pm

whitman wrote:12,000 first year, 4000 second and third. Very disappointing. I was pumped about the school, but with a much larger scholarship from Vanderbilt...dammit. There goes my dream of Lefthand.

Try to leverage it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”