CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ptblazer

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby ptblazer » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:18 am

thewarflamingo wrote:Yes yes yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one who was bothered by all of this as well! I only met one person who really knew what type of law they wanted to practice out of like 15 current students I met (including some 3Ls) so I was very shocked by this and it really concerned me. How do you make it to 3L without deciding on a field!? I think they could have picked much better students to represent the school in the student panel. Actually, I didn't think the guys on the panel were too bad and I enjoyed listening to their perspective, but the girls on the panel just did not impress me at all.

Also, none of the current students I talked to made any kind of jokes or anything. This may be stupid, but I want funny classmates that I can joke around with as stress relief, but people there seemed a little too serious.

Haha, I find it funny that I have an almost 180 degree different view of these things.

I really wish everyone had the opportunity to talk to the alumni, because they cleared up a lot of things and basically sold CU to me. Both of the alumni as well as a federal judged admitted to switching law focus in law school and a couple of them said they switched after graduating. Now they are all extremely successful, so I guess that shows that to some degree getting a JD is unique in that knowing what you want to do may not happen until after you enter the workforce. They also put to rest for me the "go to school where you want to practice or bust" myth that TLS overstates. They admitted that finding a job directly out of law school is much easier in the area where you got your degree, but after a few years of work experience you are competitive almost anywhere (minus big law in LA, Chicago, NY). The major issue is that you may need to retake the bar for that state.

As for the mock court, I totally agree that we could have done without it. But to the defense of the mock court team, I overheard (during our tour) one of the mock court girls talking to the professor leading them saying that she wanted them to make it "funny" to keep our interest. I think they missed the mark on that pretty bad, but I definitly know they weren't being serious out there and they probably won't being doing it April (according to one of the admissions people).

Also, I liked that they didn't pick the top 25% to represent the school. Some of those girls who admitted to being in the lower half of the class have a lot going on and seem to be very well positioned towards a career. I don't remember her name, but she was 3L class president (or something like that) plus she had done a lot of other things.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:22 am

thewarflamingo wrote:
upfish wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
typ3 wrote:
What was this about? Do CU students think they are high on the hog or what? I've heard mixed reviews from alumni about the two.

Well I just thought they were pretty disrespectful and dismissive to DU students which really rubbed me the wrong way because DU students will be their colleagues one day. Basically, someone asked a question about CU v. DU and some of the girls on the student panel gave loud groans and basically rolled eyes about DU. One girl said she was frustrated with DU students because they beat CU in mock trial, which honestly, after watching the mock trial at ASD, I was not surprised they got beat by DU. Then someone asked about higher ranked schools coming to Denver for jobs and the same girl made a comment about how Harvard doesn't have grades so she doesn't think they work as hard (this was irritating to me that she seemed dismissive of Harvard because of P/F) and so she reminds Denver employers that CU grads are just as good as Harvard grads since it's the same curriculum. However, when talking about DU, they were saying that employers know CU is more prestigious and is a better school than DU. So it was VERY odd to me that they think they are just as good as Harvard, but that DU is no where near the same caliber when in reality DU and CU are closer in quality than CU and Harvard. They just made it seem like CU was in a totally different ballpark than DU which I don't think is true. Maybe I interpreted what they were saying the wrong way, but I just felt like they were treating DU like it was a T4 school. There was definitely animosity towards DU though.

This ALL bothered me too! I mean, my friend is a student at DU, and I was staying with him while attending this ASD, and that 1L girl is basically acting like it's Cooley. WTF.

Also seconding the bizarre anti-Harvard stuff as just really stupid. That was that Ariel girl, right? She doesn't even know what kind of law she wants to practice, so I pretty much took everything she said with a grain of salt.

And LOL at their painting CU as a marketable school in LA. I mean, I loved the school to death and think it's definitely a major contender in CO, but LA? C'mon.

Yes yes yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one who was bothered by all of this as well! I only met one person who really knew what type of law they wanted to practice out of like 15 current students I met (including some 3Ls) so I was very shocked by this and it really concerned me. How do you make it to 3L without deciding on a field!? I think they could have picked much better students to represent the school in the student panel. Actually, I didn't think the guys on the panel were too bad and I enjoyed listening to their perspective, but the girls on the panel just did not impress me at all.

Also, none of the current students I talked to made any kind of jokes or anything. This may be stupid, but I want funny classmates that I can joke around with as stress relief, but people there seemed a little too serious.

I just have to quickly say for people that weren't there, that I completely disagree with this, and got a completely different impression of what they were saying and what the student body was like. In fact, I thought they were generally way more casual and cooler than most law students in comparing their ranking to other schools, etc. In terms of comparing to DU, I more got the impression that they were being funny, competitive -- like kinda making a joke out of an elephant in the room. And I went out to drinking with current students and actually thought they were hilarious. We spent most of the night laughing, and I brought my sister (an undergrad) who said she was surprised about how much fun law students were, haha. Additionally, I felt like I immediately connected with a few professors, which was really nice. If you want more details, I'm happy to write more about why I feel this way! :wink:

Like I said before, think it really takes a visit to see if you connect, but I just wanted to put it out there that I walked out of CU completely thrilled (kinda funny that it was so different for us :) ).

upfish

Postby upfish » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:25 am

ptblazer wrote:
Haha, I find it funny that I have an almost 180 degree different view of these things.

I really wish everyone had the opportunity to talk to the alumni, because they cleared up a lot of things and basically sold CU to me. Both of the alumni as well as a federal judged admitted to switching law focus in law school and a couple of them said they switched after graduating. Now they are all extremely successful, so I guess that shows that to some degree getting a JD is unique in that knowing what you want to do may not happen until after you enter the workforce. They also put to rest for me the "go to school where you want to practice or bust" myth that TLS overstates. They admitted that finding a job directly out of law school is much easier in the area where you got your degree, but after a few years of work experience you are competitive almost anywhere (minus big law in LA, Chicago, NY). The major issue is that you may need to retake the bar for that state.

As for the mock court, I totally agree that we could have done without it. But to the defense of the mock court team, I overheard (during our tour) one of the mock court girls talking to the professor leading them saying that she wanted them to make it "funny" to keep our interest. I think they missed the mark on that pretty bad, but I definitly know they weren't being serious out there and they probably won't being doing it April (according to one of the admissions people).

Also, I liked that they didn't pick the top 25% to represent the school. Some of those girls who admitted to being in the lower half of the class have a lot going on and seem to be very well positioned towards a career. I don't remember her name, but she was 3L class president (or something like that) plus she had done a lot of other things.

That's fair. I think it was that I was on Ariel's tour, and I just found her very grating with her constant emphasis on her lack of direction. I agree re: having some bottom half students representing. It just felt like the entire panel was bottom half, and I would've liked a wider perspective I guess?

Also, offhandedly: I was at a huge party on Friday night in Denver, and I made a contact with a civil rights lawyer (I promise this is not representative of how fun I am, haha) who told me to call her about going to lunch. So, really, Denver's legal community is selling me on CU as well.

And I just figured out DU accepts apps through July. So, I'm going to submit a late app and see about $$.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:30 am

upfish wrote:
Totally! I was really surprised at that. Also, one thing that made me lean strongly CU's way was the Assistant Dean of Students. When I picked up my name tag, she said, "I'm so happy you got in this year!" and told me about how she'd been pushing for me last year (I was waitlisted) and made a note in my file highlighting my LSAT jump. I was impressed that she remembered me, and it made me feel like the school cares more than I would expect them to about the students. =)

Edit: what made you lean UF? just the weird animosity and etc? or something else?

The assistant dean was AWESOME, I loved her! That's really awesome to hear about your story; it really shows how much they care about their students which is something that really stood out to me at the ASD.

In regards to UF, I was pretty set on UF once I left Gainesville, so CU just made me realize that Florida was the right place for me. I actually wasn't impressed by UF's ASD at all, but the people I met there were just so awesome. I hung out with some TLSers and non-TLSers the whole weekend I was in Gainesville and we all just clicked really well. Even after leaving Gainesville, I still text and talk to some of them often because they really did become my friends. One girl and I may even end up being roommates in the fall. So the people were a very large factor in my decision, but also my uncle is very well connected in Gainesville and FL, and while I was there I spoke with the head attorney at his office who said he'd probably be able to bring me on to clerk for my 1L summer if I was interested. I will obviously try to get jobs on my own merit, but it's nice to know that I have my uncle there to help me network and open doors for me (he obviously can't guarantee me a job) if I really needed the help. Florida is just the best fit for my personal situation. Plus, my grandpa went to UF Law so it's in my blood! So overall, I don't think it's anything that CU did that solidified my decision, but it was just that UF fit my personality and interests better.

upfish

Postby upfish » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:34 am

One more thing re: the ASD: I didn't mean to give the impression that I was like "LOL CU is the worst!" Far from; the ASD sold me on the school pretty hard.

I had a chance to talk to the Asst. Dean of Students, and a couple of current students (one of whom was the girl headed for the Boulder PD office), and I got a very positive picture of an active, interesting, and varied student body that I wanted to be a part of.

If you saw me at ASD as my dinosaur-house-stomping self, it may have been pretty obvious that I'd be interested in OUTLAW, and my friend from DU was talking up CU's OUTLAW group like crazy. They're bringing in some amazing speakers and really move in the community, and I was thrilled to hear that.

Also, my DU friend took me on a crash course through Denver's queer scene, and that pushed me even farther towards CU. So, if that's a relevant factor for anybody else out there, keep that in mind.

upfish

Postby upfish » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:35 am

thewarflamingo wrote: I will obviously try to get jobs on my own merit, but it's nice to know that I have my uncle there to help me network and open doors for me (he obviously can't guarantee me a job) if I really needed the help. Florida is just the best fit for my personal situation. Plus, my grandpa went to UF Law so it's in my blood! So overall, I don't think it's anything that CU did that solidified my decision, but it was just that UF fit my personality and interests better.

Haha, I would never knock somebody getting a job through their network! That's how I got my (non-law) job, and it's probably how I'll get any future legal positions as well.

I don't really believe people get almost anything solely on merit. I have been totally disillusioned on this front, haha.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:36 am

Obviously there will be people who have completely different views of the school and ASD than me which is fine. It was just my interpretation of the weekend and the people I met. I actually think the ASD could have gone completely differently if I had met different CU students or connected with other admitted students earlier in the day. It's all just very personal and you really just need to visit the school to decide for yourself. It's great that we can provide different perspectives of ASD though. My personality just didn't mesh with CU, which is fine and is not a reflection of the school. I don't want it to seem like I'm bashing CU because I'm definitely not. I think CU is a great school and has a lot to offer their students; it just wasn't right for me.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:39 am

Wow, just had time to check this thread. I missed a lot while going skiing. THAT was an adventure.

We ended up going to Keystone and it was difficult for a beginner like me. Still fun though.

At any rate, just wanted to say congrats on the scholarships everyone!!!

Also, I had a lot of fun at ASD and those margaritas were super strong. I probably should have only had one, lol. But yeah, I think the happy hour really helped - I think I got a better perspective of the school that way and it was much more relaxing.

I could definitely seeing myself live here. Will post more thoughts later.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:12 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:Wow, just had time to check this thread. I missed a lot while going skiing. THAT was an adventure.

We ended up going to Keystone and it was difficult for a beginner like me. Still fun though.

At any rate, just wanted to say congrats on the scholarships everyone!!!

Also, I had a lot of fun at ASD and those margaritas were super strong. I probably should have only had one, lol. But yeah, I think the happy hour really helped - I think I got a better perspective of the school that way and it was much more relaxing.

Haha no way! I was at Keystone too yesterday. I'm about to go back here in a few minutes. I've been checking on the thread every so often, I'm planning to type my thoughts on my flight tonight and post it up then.

krad

Postby krad » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:49 pm

Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts in TT, I really appreciate it (since I'm not making it up there until the April 1 ASW). :)

Also, I can vouch that the Denver Rio's margs are normally killer!

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:58 pm

Holy cow, I take a day off from checking TLS, and it looks like I missed everything!!

Glad to hear everyone's perspective on the CU ASD. I'll be going to DU's on the 25th, then CU's on the 1st of April, so it should be interesting to see them both so close together. I went to a function at DU last night, and can definitely see myself going there, and I am really looking forward to the CU ASD to see if I feel the same way.

It's great that everyone had fun, and it's really cool to be hearing the opinions of people who will probably be my class mates come fall!

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:12 pm

krad wrote:Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts in TT, I really appreciate it (since I'm not making it up there until the April 1 ASW). :)

Also, I can vouch that the Denver Rio's margs are normally killer!

Actually, I just realized that I was at the park meadows rio, not the denver one. Maybe they are weaker out in parker lol

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:51 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:

I warned! I warned! Haha, it was fun hanging out with you QueenLizzie, hope you had fun skiing, and have a good end to your Colorado trip!

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:06 pm

bananeez wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:

I warned! I warned! Haha, it was fun hanging out with you QueenLizzie, hope you had fun skiing, and have a good end to your Colorado trip!

Haha you did! They were super good though. It would've been hard to quit at one.

It was fun hanging out with you as well bananeez! I did have fun skiing though it got a little chaotic getting over to the ski area because we had to go back to DIA first and then head over to Keystone since we didn't have a car and the Colorado Mountain Express doesn't pick up in Boulder. I need to get better at skiing though...

And LeDique that is funny we ended up at the same ski resort. I was sticking to Schoolmann's (I think that is how you spell it) though for the most part. Which runs were you going on?

Anyways the students I met at the happy hour really sold CU for me, more so than anything else on ASD. Would love to play co-ed intramural basketball with some of the law students I met and go for runs with people. I also liked how the student panel was varied and was not just the top students. I mean ultimately there is a good chance that I won't be the top 1/3 at CU, and so it is nice to know how the non top 1/3 students are doing in terms of jobs, etc.

I took an advocacy class during undergrad and so I kind of got the humor behind what they were doing with the mock trial...I actually enjoyed it, but it seems not that many people did?

At any rate, I am heavily, heavily leaning toward CU after this trip.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:27 pm

I am a PSIA certified ski instructor willing to trade lessons for baked goods.

I should probably put that in my LOCI for CU since I will never hear back from them.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:24 am

typ3 wrote:I am a PSIA certified ski instructor willing to trade lessons for baked goods.

I should probably put that in my LOCI for CU since I will never hear back from them.

I will take you up on that offer! Do blueberry muffins sound good?

:D

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:51 am

Looks like ASD was interesting... Has everyone received scholarship info? Wondering if I need to start begging CU for some cash as I haven't received anything.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:10 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:
At any rate, I am heavily, heavily leaning toward CU after this trip.

:mrgreen: Me too.

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:27 am

Glad to see you made it back safely on Friday night, Lizzie :) My host and I felt kinda bad that we let you leave by yourself.

bananeez wrote::mrgreen: Me too.

I saw that you just got accepted into Davis, too...where does that stand on your list? A lot of the same things that I like about Boulder (small-ish town, sense of community among the students) are what's also drawing me there. Whadya think?

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:44 am

grats on the schollys (krad in particular because we've been suffering through this together!)
sounds like ASD was cool, i can't wait until april so i can get a sense of how well i fit there....
and i'm DYING to get mail but we just moved so it's all being forwarded and it's way slow......I WANT $$$$!!!

upfish

Postby upfish » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am

Crossing my fingers for scholly $$ this week. If they'd send some, I'd start scouting apartments in Denver ASAP. :D

krad

Postby krad » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:03 am

oldhippie wrote:grats on the schollys (krad in particular because we've been suffering through this together!)
sounds like ASD was cool, i can't wait until april so i can get a sense of how well i fit there....
and i'm DYING to get mail but we just moved so it's all being forwarded and it's way slow......I WANT $$$$!!!

Thanks :) I can't imagine that they wouldn't give you anything...! We're like semi-#'s twins but you've got the higher LSAT! I'm sure it'll be coming soon.

Good luck to everyone waiting on $ and acceptances!

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:01 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:I saw that you just got accepted into Davis, too...where does that stand on your list? A lot of the same things that I like about Boulder (small-ish town, sense of community among the students) are what's also drawing me there. Whadya think?

It's a strong contender. I really like Davis, it reminds me of CU a little bit for the reasons you said. And I think I would like living there. That, and the alum having a strong presence in public interest and government make it very tempting. But I think CU has a solid hold on my heart now. And Davis is super expensive. I haven't gotten the official letter yet, so haven't heard about money, but as of now, it will cost me about $19,000 more the first year. So I think I'm going to have hard time picking that over CU.

Whatya think?

franklin14

Postby franklin14 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:23 pm

I liked pretty much everything about this school. "Fit" perfectly. The admissions people were fantastic, the professors I met were great, and the program seems right. Plus, the patio facing the flatirons was not a downside. Students say strange things at ANY visit because no one is perfect and they are trying to sell you, but being pro your school over another in your market is common place. Most of the students seemed pretty chill about the whole rivalry in actual conversation. I have heard some horror stories about some other ASD's, but this one was great from my perspective... clearly not the case for everyone. Glad people had a great time and congrats on the scholarships. Looking forward to starting in August pending final aid information.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:07 pm

franklin14 wrote:I liked pretty much everything about this school. "Fit" perfectly. The admissions people were fantastic, the professors I met were great, and the program seems right. Plus, the patio facing the flatirons was not a downside. Students say strange things at ANY visit because no one is perfect and they are trying to sell you, but being pro your school over another in your market is common place. Most of the students seemed pretty chill about the whole rivalry in actual conversation. I have heard some horror stories about some other ASD's, but this one was great from my perspective... clearly not the case for everyone. Glad people had a great time and congrats on the scholarships. Looking forward to starting in August pending final aid information.

+1 Well said. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you, franklin!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”