CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
WAinCO

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby WAinCO » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:59 pm

bananeez wrote:I just got a merit scholarship in the mail! :mrgreen: Feel like I shouldn't post it here - PM me for details.

---And, I'm sorry to hear that WarFlam, but you're right, I think it's all about if you feel comfortable. For me, I felt completely in place there and loved the conversations I had with the current law students and professors, and really just felt comfortable from minute 1.

I just got mine in the mail today too. I dont really mind posting it, in fact I was wondering if this is similar to what other ppl have gotten if anyone is close to my numbers? 166, 3.8GPA

24k/8k/8k stip of 2.9avg GPGA

upfish

Postby upfish » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:09 pm

Pretty sure if CU would send me a scholarship, I'd send them my deposit.

ARE YOU LISTENING CU ADMISSIONS?! Please hear me outttttt.

(I was vocally anti-Colorado as a state at ASD, but it turned out I was accidentally in Cherry Creek instead of Capitol Hill or something, and the slight change in geography totally altered my opinion.)

Oh, and congrats to those who got their scholarships this week! :D

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:13 pm

WAinCO wrote:
bananeez wrote:I just got a merit scholarship in the mail! :mrgreen: Feel like I shouldn't post it here - PM me for details.

---And, I'm sorry to hear that WarFlam, but you're right, I think it's all about if you feel comfortable. For me, I felt completely in place there and loved the conversations I had with the current law students and professors, and really just felt comfortable from minute 1.

I just got mine in the mail today too. I dont really mind posting it, in fact I was wondering if this is similar to what other ppl have gotten if anyone is close to my numbers? 166, 3.8GPA

I would hope cu would give me something. However, I have a feeling everything will be given out before I even get admitted.

waitlisteddd

Postby waitlisteddd » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:17 pm

typ3 wrote:
WAinCO wrote:

I would hope cu would give me something. However, I have a feeling everything will be given out before I even get admitted.

agreed :/...

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:22 pm

upfish wrote:Pretty sure if CU would send me a scholarship, I'd send them my deposit.

ARE YOU LISTENING CU ADMISSIONS?! Please hear me outttttt.

(I was vocally anti-Colorado as a state at ASD, but it turned out I was accidentally in Cherry Creek instead of Capitol Hill or something, and the slight change in geography totally altered my opinion.)

Oh, and congrats to those who got their scholarships this week! :D

.... I can vouch that UpFish totally looks like a dinosaur :wink:

I hope you had fun at the ASD, I did! And YES, Cherry Creek is VERY different. I used to play them in tennis and volleyball. Not at all representative of the state (which is awesome :mrgreen: ).

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:29 pm

waitlisteddd wrote:
typ3 wrote:

agreed :/...

I'm sure both of your acceptances are coming soon and it appears that the scholarships are included in the letter of acceptance with the newly admitted.

Also that polar bear is adorable.

upfish

Postby upfish » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:29 pm

bananeez wrote:.... I can vouch that UpFish totally looks like a dinosaur :wink:

I hope you had fun at the ASD, I did! And YES, Cherry Creek is VERY different. I used to play them in tennis and volleyball. Not at all representative of the state (which is awesome :mrgreen: ).

haha, I did! I was exhausted from Thursday night still (went drinking at The Thin Man), but it was pretty cool!

I was pretty impressed with your whole black swan look too. Very true to life. :lol:

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:32 pm

upfish wrote:I was pretty impressed with your whole black swan look too. Very true to life. :lol:

I'm going to have to buy many more tutus to make it through the academic year... :shock:

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:54 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Everyone was really nice, but the conversation didn't seem to flow well which was disappointing.

Halfway through the ASD, me and another student began tracking how many times we were asked, "So, where else are you applying?" I got to 13 :D

I still had a really great time, though. My host took me out to explore the nightlife both Thursday and Friday nights, and when the students weren't as concerned about being ambassadors for the school, things flowed much easier. Everyone was super down to earth, outgoing and generally fun to be around.

I'll definitely have some thinking to do if I get a scholarship letter of my own. I didn't attend the ASD with any real expectation of attending CU at first, but now Boulder is certainly a place I could imagine myself for the next 3 years.

And those Rio margaritas really DO live up to their reputation. lol

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:59 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:
And those Rio margaritas really DO live up to their reputation. lol

THANK YOU! :mrgreen:

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:01 pm

At this point, the question should have been "so to which other law schools have you been accepted?" or "which other law schools are you still considering ?".

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:07 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:At this point, the question should have been "so to which other law schools have you been accepted?" or "which other law schools are you still considering ?".

Haha, to be honest, it was all some variation on that question. I didn't mind as it's a totally reasonable conversation starter for someone in their position, but when you get introduced to so many people it definitely got exhausting.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:15 pm

But still a refreshing change from "so what's your major ?" ?

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:49 pm

typ3 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Plus some of the students seemed bitter towards/threatened by DU students and even though I didn't apply to DU, it bothered me how they talked about them.

What was this about? Do CU students think they are high on the hog or what? I've heard mixed reviews from alumni about the two.

Well I just thought they were pretty disrespectful and dismissive to DU students which really rubbed me the wrong way because DU students will be their colleagues one day. Basically, someone asked a question about CU v. DU and some of the girls on the student panel gave loud groans and basically rolled eyes about DU. One girl said she was frustrated with DU students because they beat CU in mock trial, which honestly, after watching the mock trial at ASD, I was not surprised they got beat by DU. Then someone asked about higher ranked schools coming to Denver for jobs and the same girl made a comment about how Harvard doesn't have grades so she doesn't think they work as hard (this was irritating to me that she seemed dismissive of Harvard because of P/F) and so she reminds Denver employers that CU grads are just as good as Harvard grads since it's the same curriculum. However, when talking about DU, they were saying that employers know CU is more prestigious and is a better school than DU. So it was VERY odd to me that they think they are just as good as Harvard, but that DU is no where near the same caliber when in reality DU and CU are closer in quality than CU and Harvard. They just made it seem like CU was in a totally different ballpark than DU which I don't think is true. Maybe I interpreted what they were saying the wrong way, but I just felt like they were treating DU like it was a T4 school. There was definitely animosity towards DU though.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:57 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Everyone was really nice, but the conversation didn't seem to flow well which was disappointing.

Halfway through the ASD, me and another student began tracking how many times we were asked, "So, where else are you applying?" I got to 13 :D

Omg yes, that was starting to get annoying! That was basically what every conversation centered around and it made me feel awkward when current students would ask me how CU ranked on my list. I didn't mind discussing my true feelings about which way I was leaning with other admitted students, but it made me feel awkward to talk about it with CU students and admissions especially since I wasn't leaning towards CU at all. I just felt like there was too much focus on CU v. other schools, than just what CU has to offer. Personally, I wanted to focus on CU and not think about my other schools at CU's ASD and they made it hard for me to do that.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:00 pm

CU ASD happened? Did you all enjoy your time in the best state?

upfish

Postby upfish » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:29 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
typ3 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Plus some of the students seemed bitter towards/threatened by DU students and even though I didn't apply to DU, it bothered me how they talked about them.

What was this about? Do CU students think they are high on the hog or what? I've heard mixed reviews from alumni about the two.

Well I just thought they were pretty disrespectful and dismissive to DU students which really rubbed me the wrong way because DU students will be their colleagues one day. Basically, someone asked a question about CU v. DU and some of the girls on the student panel gave loud groans and basically rolled eyes about DU. One girl said she was frustrated with DU students because they beat CU in mock trial, which honestly, after watching the mock trial at ASD, I was not surprised they got beat by DU. Then someone asked about higher ranked schools coming to Denver for jobs and the same girl made a comment about how Harvard doesn't have grades so she doesn't think they work as hard (this was irritating to me that she seemed dismissive of Harvard because of P/F) and so she reminds Denver employers that CU grads are just as good as Harvard grads since it's the same curriculum. However, when talking about DU, they were saying that employers know CU is more prestigious and is a better school than DU. So it was VERY odd to me that they think they are just as good as Harvard, but that DU is no where near the same caliber when in reality DU and CU are closer in quality than CU and Harvard. They just made it seem like CU was in a totally different ballpark than DU which I don't think is true. Maybe I interpreted what they were saying the wrong way, but I just felt like they were treating DU like it was a T4 school. There was definitely animosity towards DU though.

This ALL bothered me too! I mean, my friend is a student at DU, and I was staying with him while attending this ASD, and that 1L girl is basically acting like it's Cooley. WTF.

Also seconding the bizarre anti-Harvard stuff as just really stupid. That was that Ariel girl, right? She doesn't even know what kind of law she wants to practice, so I pretty much took everything she said with a grain of salt.

And LOL at their painting CU as a marketable school in LA. I mean, I loved the school to death and think it's definitely a major contender in CO, but LA? C'mon.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:42 pm

upfish wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
typ3 wrote:

This ALL bothered me too! I mean, my friend is a student at DU, and I was staying with him while attending this ASD, and that 1L girl is basically acting like it's Cooley. WTF.

Also seconding the bizarre anti-Harvard stuff as just really stupid. That was that Ariel girl, right? She doesn't even know what kind of law she wants to practice, so I pretty much took everything she said with a grain of salt.

And LOL at their painting CU as a marketable school in LA. I mean, I loved the school to death and think it's definitely a major contender in CO, but LA? C'mon.

Yes yes yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one who was bothered by all of this as well! I only met one person who really knew what type of law they wanted to practice out of like 15 current students I met (including some 3Ls) so I was very shocked by this and it really concerned me. How do you make it to 3L without deciding on a field!? I think they could have picked much better students to represent the school in the student panel. Actually, I didn't think the guys on the panel were too bad and I enjoyed listening to their perspective, but the girls on the panel just did not impress me at all.

Also, none of the current students I talked to made any kind of jokes or anything. This may be stupid, but I want funny classmates that I can joke around with as stress relief, but people there seemed a little too serious.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:48 pm

Oh! and I went to the Rio tonight in Denver and I was so disappointed!!!!! :cry: My friend and I had to order on the side a dos equis and an empty pint glass to make our own dos-a-ritas because the margaritas were too weak by themselves. :cry:

However, the food was actually pretty good! I had a baked chile reno and it was surprisingly really good.

upfish

Postby upfish » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:48 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Also, none of the current students I talked to made any kind of jokes or anything. This may be stupid, but I want funny classmates that I can joke around with as stress relief, but people there seemed a little too serious.

The girl in the navy v-neck was impressive, I thought. Wasn't she going into labor litigation or something and already had a job? And one of the (admittedly pretty awful) mock trial girls, the one w/the fro, is working in the Boulder PD office this summer. I was impressed by them and one of the dudes.

But yeah, as far as representing the school, they made some ODD choices. Like how the panel was admitting to being bottom of the class and trying to convince us that was okay. I guess maybe top 25% students were like, in class or working on journals or something?

I played Angry Birds through like 2/3 of the student panel, if that's any indication of how valuable I felt it was haha.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:56 pm

upfish wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Also, none of the current students I talked to made any kind of jokes or anything. This may be stupid, but I want funny classmates that I can joke around with as stress relief, but people there seemed a little too serious.

The girl in the navy v-neck was impressive, I thought. Wasn't she going into labor litigation or something and already had a job? And one of the (admittedly pretty awful) mock trial girls, the one w/the fro, is working in the Boulder PD office this summer. I was impressed by them and one of the dudes.

But yeah, as far as representing the school, they made some ODD choices. Like how the panel was admitting to being bottom of the class and trying to convince us that was okay. I guess maybe top 25% students were like, in class or working on journals or something?

I played Angry Birds through like 2/3 of the student panel, if that's any indication of how valuable I felt it was haha.

Really???? hmmm I had completely the opposite impression of the navy v-neck girl, but I won't go into why on the forum. It was nice to see some of them have good jobs lined up though especially after admitting that they were below top 30%.

lmfao the dean of students was sitting near me so I resisted getting on my phone during the student panel.

So are you leaning towards or away from CU, upfish?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:57 pm

upfish wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
typ3 wrote:

Being a URM you would likely qualify for a full at DU with your #'s as a heads up.

upfish

Postby upfish » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:00 am

typ3 wrote:
Being a URM you would likely qualify for a full at DU with your #'s as a heads up.

Where? DU? It's too late to apply, and I really wish I would have. =(

thewarflamingo wrote:Really???? hmmm I had completely the opposite impression of the navy v-neck girl, but I won't go into why on the forum. It was nice to see some of them have good jobs lined up though especially after admitting that they were below top 30%.

lmfao the dean of students was sitting near me so I resisted getting on my phone during the student panel.

Towards, but I need some cash money. Also, I'm frustrated that it's in Boulder and not Denver. I loathe college towns AND commuting, and it's totally rock/hard place in that respect. What about you?

Edited because I am too much of a newb to read full sentences re: DU.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:10 am

upfish wrote:
typ3 wrote:

thewarflamingo wrote:Really???? hmmm I had completely the opposite impression of the navy v-neck girl, but I won't go into why on the forum. It was nice to see some of them have good jobs lined up though especially after admitting that they were below top 30%.

Towards, but I need some cash money. Also, I'm frustrated that it's in Boulder and not Denver. I loathe college towns AND commuting, and it's totally rock/hard place in that respect. What about you?

Yeah that's understandable. Hopefully some money hits Texas this coming week. Honestly, CU's ASD solidified my decision to attend UF. Significant scholarship money might change my decision, but I doubt it.

Our presents were really nice though, I love my glass and coaster!

upfish

Postby upfish » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:12 am

thewarflamingo wrote:
upfish wrote:
typ3 wrote:

Yeah that's understandable. Hopefully some money hits Texas this coming week. Honestly, CU's ASD solidified my decision to attend UF. Significant scholarship money might change my decision, but I doubt it.

Our presents were really nice though, I love my glass and coaster!

Totally! I was really surprised at that. Also, one thing that made me lean strongly CU's way was the Assistant Dean of Students. When I picked up my name tag, she said, "I'm so happy you got in this year!" and told me about how she'd been pushing for me last year (I was waitlisted) and made a note in my file highlighting my LSAT jump. I was impressed that she remembered me, and it made me feel like the school cares more than I would expect them to about the students. =)

Edit: what made you lean UF? just the weird animosity and etc? or something else?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”