CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
typ3

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby typ3 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:35 pm

waitlisteddd wrote:hope everyone has fun at ASD!

please inform the rest of us who are still waiiitttinggggg about the marvels of CU!

Yea. I'm really interested to hear about the building. I know it looks awesome from the outside, but how are the classrooms inside and does the library have lots of study rooms? From the pictures it looked like the library was really small compared to other schools.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:55 pm

So I haven't been following this thread lately because I have been traveling a lot for work. Since I am within driving distance of Boulder I decided to drive up here to help me narrow down which WL's I want to stay on.

This is basically the only weekend for the next two months that works for me and when I email admissions to ask about a tour and meeting with someone in admissions they said because of a special event on Mar 4th everyone in admissions will be unavailable.

Little did I know its because all you fine folks are coming up for ASW. LOL!!!!

Well I had booked my hotel already so I just did the self guided thing. The campus is absolutely gorgeous.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:17 pm

typ3 wrote:

please inform the rest of us who are still waiiitttinggggg about the marvels of CU!

Yea. I'm really interested to hear about the building. I know it looks awesome from the outside, but how are the classrooms inside and does the library have lots of study rooms? From the pictures it looked like the library was really small compared to other schools.

The law school is great and everything you'd need is located in one building (cafe, law library and all the classrooms). The classrooms are comfortable and apparently each seat has a outlet for a computer, they range from approx 100 seats to a more intimate 30. I would agree that the library is smaller than what you might see from other schools. However, it was mentioned to me that most students don't study in the library, which would leave the study rooms easy to grab.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:47 pm

ptblazer wrote:
typ3 wrote:

The law school is great and everything you'd need is located in one building (cafe, law library and all the classrooms). The classrooms are comfortable and apparently each seat has a outlet for a computer, they range from approx 100 seats to a more intimate 30. I would agree that the library is smaller than what you might see from other schools. However, it was mentioned to me that most students don't study in the library, which would leave the study rooms easy to grab.

I plan on claiming one of the study rooms. No need to pay rent when you can just sleep at the library.. right?

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:18 pm

ptblazer wrote:
typ3 wrote:

Agreed! I thought the building was great. It was nice to meet you, ptblazer!!

tsutsik

Postby tsutsik » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:20 pm

Did anyone hear anything more about scholarships going out? Are they finished with offers?

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:21 pm

tsutsik wrote:Did anyone hear anything more about scholarships going out? Are they finished with offers?

They say scholarships are still going out, and will be until they run out of money.

tsutsik

Postby tsutsik » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:23 pm

bananeez wrote:
tsutsik wrote:Did anyone hear anything more about scholarships going out? Are they finished with offers?

They say scholarships are still going out, and will be until they run out of money.

Thanks. It's nice to know that there's still some hope.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:42 pm

tsutsik wrote:
bananeez wrote:

How about acceptances? :roll: I am about ready to facepalm over cu.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:44 pm

typ3 wrote:
tsutsik wrote:
bananeez wrote:

Same. An acceptance at CU (even w/o scholly) would probably mean /cycle for me barring an extremely unlikely acceptance at USC or UW.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:51 pm

crit_racer wrote:
typ3 wrote:
tsutsik wrote:

Same. An acceptance at CU (even w/o scholly) would probably mean /cycle for me barring an extremely unlikely acceptance at USC or UW.

CU was pretty awesome yesterday. Don't give up hope. :D

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:58 pm

It was nice to meet some of y'all yesterday! The building is beautiful and so is the scenery of Boulder. The admissions staff was incredibly nice as well. Honestly though, I felt really out of place and uncomfortable during most of the day, especially when I would talk to some current students, this got better at the reception though. Everyone was really nice, but the conversation didn't seem to flow well which was disappointing. I was really tired though so I'll admit that this was partly my fault. I was really hoping CU would wow me because I was keeping an open mind about the school, but I just wasn't for some reason. Plus some of the students seemed bitter towards/threatened by DU students and even though I didn't apply to DU, it bothered me how they talked about them. And I wasn't impressed with the mock trial, I wish they would have cut that shorter and increased the time with the career services lady.

I don't want to seem completely negative about the school because it really is a great school with a great admissions staff so it's definitely the perfect school for some people, but it just wasn't for me, unfortunately. So I'll be at UF in the fall, but I hope y'all have a great time at CU if you choose to go there in the fall!

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:02 pm

I just got a merit scholarship in the mail! :mrgreen: Feel like I shouldn't post it here - PM me for details.

---And, I'm sorry to hear that WarFlam, but you're right, I think it's all about if you feel comfortable. For me, I felt completely in place there and loved the conversations I had with the current law students and professors, and really just felt comfortable from minute 1.

tsutsik

Postby tsutsik » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm

bananeez wrote:I just got a merit scholarship in the mail! :mrgreen: Feel like I shouldn't post it here - PM me for details.

---And, I'm sorry to hear that WarFlam, but you're right, I think it's all about if you feel comfortable. For me, I felt completely in place there and loved the conversations I had with the current law students and professors, and really just felt comfortable from minute 1.

Congrats!

krad

Postby krad » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:25 pm

Congrats bananeez that's awesome!!

I can't wait to anxiously check my mail later because sadly I won't be at CU without any $ at this point.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:29 pm

bananeez wrote:I just got a merit scholarship in the mail! :mrgreen: Feel like I shouldn't post it here - PM me for details.

Congrats on the scholarship!

Yeah there was just something about the atmosphere where I didn't feel comfortable. But to be fair, I had such an incredible time at UF's asd the weekend before that CU was already at a disadvantage having to compete with UF and my high expectations. I'm glad to hear you had an awesome time though and felt very comfortable there. I hope my post didn't discourage anyone because it really is a completely individual experience.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:33 pm

Congratulations on the scholarship!! It was nice meeting you as well. I felt pretty comfortable in Boulder as well. After talking with some alumni, I'm almost certain that I am going to CU Boulder, although I'm still waiting for word on a scholarship (which I won't know for several days yet). The alum wouldn't stop raving about the CU network and the school's reputation in Denver as well as other areas.

Good luck in Florida Flamingo! Sorry it wasn't a good fit for you. But someone I talked to today told me that the most important decision is to select a school that clicks with you and where you feel comfortable with the environment. If these things fall into place you'll make the connections and eventually find the job that makes you happy.

krad

Postby krad » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:50 pm

Speak of the devil, I GOT A SCHOLLY! SO just got home and had checked the mail! It's smaller than my others, but on top of in-state it's solid!

Hopefully others' mailboxes hold good news!!

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:57 pm

krad wrote:Speak of the devil, I GOT A SCHOLLY! SO just got home and had checked the mail! It's smaller than my others, but on top of in-state it's solid!

Hopefully others' mailboxes hold good news!!

Alright!!! Congratulations.

DJsm20

Postby DJsm20 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:06 pm

Congrats to the recent scholarships!! Just booked flight for April ASD.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:07 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Plus some of the students seemed bitter towards/threatened by DU students and even though I didn't apply to DU, it bothered me how they talked about them.

What was this about? Do CU students think they are high on the hog or what? I've heard mixed reviews from alumni about the two.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:48 pm

typ3 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Plus some of the students seemed bitter towards/threatened by DU students and even though I didn't apply to DU, it bothered me how they talked about them.

What was this about? Do CU students think they are high on the hog or what? I've heard mixed reviews from alumni about the two.

I took it in a slightly different light.
Every school, or more accurate the students in the school designate a rival, whether you're in middle school, high school, or college. Sometimes the rival is based on proximity, competition, etc. DU is the only other law school in Colorado and the only other significant feeder into the local job market. As someone in the admissions office put it, DU isn't a peer school to CU and wouldn't be a rival under different conditions. This person went to law school in DC and said that the competition between rival schools in that city is intense (far worse than the CU/DU).

I'm not sure if flamingo had other private discussions about DU with CU students, but DU was brought up by the student panel only after being asked a question about it. So in this situation it didn't seem to me to be overly hostile or bitter towards DU, beyond the typical rival speak, in which you would expect the whole "my school is better than your school routine." Which I think makes sense and is often justified. Obviously you would rather see one of your classmates/friends be offered a job over a student from another University you've never met.

To share a few points about the DU/CU debate I've heard over the weekend. This includes comments from current students, admissions, and alumni from CU only (so take from it what you want).
DU was praised for being the more practical teaching school (probably due to proximity to denver law firms)
CU is seen as being the better academic school, translating into a higher bar passage rate.
CU alum are seen as a "tighter" group, contributing to a stronger network. (maybe b/c DU is larger and has evening classes?)
The "implant firms" (that is, not local firms) in the denver legal market prefer CU grads (maybe because of ranking?)

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:54 pm

ptblazer wrote:
typ3 wrote:

Every school, or more accurate the students in the school designate a rival, whether you're in middle school, high school, or college. Sometimes the rival is based on proximity, competition, etc. DU is the only other law school in Colorado and the only other significant feeder into the local job market. As someone in the admissions office put it, DU isn't a peer school to CU and wouldn't be a rival under different conditions. This person went to law school in DC and said that the competition between rival schools in that city is intense (far worse than the CU/DU).

I'm not sure if flamingo had other private discussions about DU with CU students, but DU was brought up by the student panel only after being asked a question about it. So in this situation it didn't seem to me to be overly hostile or bitter towards DU, beyond the typical rival speak, in which you would expect the whole "my school is better than your school routine." Which I think makes sense and is often justified. Obviously you would rather see one of your classmates/friends be offered a job over a student from another University you've never met.

To share a few points about the DU/CU debate I've heard over the weekend. This includes comments from current students, admissions, and alumni from CU only (so take from it what you want).
DU was praised for being the more practical teaching school (probably due to proximity to denver law firms)
CU is seen as being the better academic school, translating into a higher bar passage rate.
CU alum are seen as a "tighter" group, contributing to a stronger network. (maybe b/c DU is larger and has evening classes?)
The "implant firms" (that is, not local firms) in the denver legal market prefer CU grads (maybe because of ranking?)

I'd be curious to know how the starting salaries compare for the top 20% of both the schools. I know CU has a higher median, but DU's class size as you mentioned is a lot larger.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:07 pm

ptblazer wrote:
typ3 wrote:

+1 This is a good summary and what I experienced.

And -- Congrats Krad!! Yay!! :mrgreen:

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:12 pm

typ3 wrote:
I'd be curious to know how the starting salaries compare for the top 20% of both the schools. I know CU has a higher median, but DU's class size as you mentioned is a lot larger.

I really don't know, but one thing that I found to be refreshing was that even if you don't fall above the median, you can still have a very successful career. I met two CU alum, both still relatively young, working very nice jobs. One was a partner at a large firm and he said he was probably in the lower 20% at CU. Obviously this isn't the prefered route to success, but they proved it was possible, haha.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”