CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
krad

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby krad » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:16 pm

I hope everyone that just arrived has fun here in CO today/tomorrow at the ASW!!! Today is gorgeous :)

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:29 pm

krad wrote:I hope everyone that just arrived has fun here in CO today/tomorrow at the ASW!!! Today is gorgeous :)

It is! :D :D :D

Just arrived in Colorado, guys! Looking forward to seeing all of you tomorrow!

Are we still doing Friday Night Drinks? (I've been seriously sick this whole week, so probably won't go out tonight, but will plan to cure it tomorrow)

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:30 pm

krad wrote:I hope everyone that just arrived has fun here in CO today/tomorrow at the ASW!!! Today is gorgeous :)

Flight in t-minus 2 hours :) Safe travels, everyone.

Edit: Not sure about tomorrow...hopefully we can all find a way to meet at orientation tomorrow and work it out, or post back on here? As far as tonight, my host is taking me to a local bar called the Dark Horse to meet up with some folks. I'm sure anyone here is more than welcome to join if interested.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:40 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:

Flight in t-minus 2 hours :) Safe travels, everyone.

Edit: Not sure about tomorrow...hopefully we can all find a way to meet at orientation tomorrow and work it out, or post back on here? As far as tonight, my host is taking me to a local bar called the Dark Horse to meet up with some folks. I'm sure anyone here is more than welcome to join if interested.

That's kinda hilarious. My dad will be there. For his No Book Club club (husbands of wives in my mother's book club, haha). He's been trying to convince me to go with him :mrgreen:.

Maybe one of us (I can) can plan to post on here after the Open House on where to meet and when. I'm thinking the Rio on Pearl Street for Margaritas! :wink:

franklin14

Postby franklin14 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:51 pm

I was going to wear jeans and a button-down shirt or sweater to ASD... Anyone else who is male?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:53 pm

franklin14 wrote:I was going to wear jeans and a button-down shirt or sweater to ASD... Anyone else who is male?

I'm wearing a 3 piece gray pinstripe O.o

franklin14

Postby franklin14 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:13 pm

That will be nice. Make sure it is silk so that it repels the rain tomorrow.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:15 pm

just wanted to chime in to say how jealous i am that y'all get to hang this weekend and how curious i am to hear how it goes tomorrow!
have fun all!!

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:25 pm

franklin14 wrote:I was going to wear jeans and a button-down shirt or sweater to ASD... Anyone else who is male?

This is exactly what I was planning to wear.

Can someone help me out tho? Was there a reading for the mock class tomorrow? I've gotten on the road and don't have my CU letter with me to get into the admitted students site right now...If there is..Could you either PM me the link/pass or the reading or something? Let me know either way tho. I'm guessing there isn't given no one mentioned it in the threads but..

I'm also interested in going to Amy Goodman tomorrow. But I've got to call and see if that's sold out or not.

franklin14

Postby franklin14 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:30 pm

rekopter wrote:
franklin14 wrote:
Pufer wrote:Don't leave the state for more than a week during the year you're here.

For more than a week at a time, correct? You can leave for more than a total of a 7 days over the course of 12 months... right? Thanks man!!

Pufer is rather cautious on matters like these but there's not a hard-and-fast rule. The statute looks for intent to remain in Colorado and a 2-week visit with your family over the December break isn't going to defeat your petition for in-state.

(See http://registrar.colorado.edu/students/ ... tions.html)
You may leave the state for vacations or for other temporary reasons and need not maintain a residence in Colorado during a temporary absence. To maintain Colorado domicile during a temporary absence, you should keep Colorado connections, particularly voter registration and declaration of any out-of-state income on your Colorado state income tax return. On any other state tax return, you must file as a nonresident. However, residing in your previous home state for a substantial period of time (including summer) is some evidence of continued domicile in that place, although such residence does not by itself disqualify you for in-state status.

fair enough, thanks for the help!

franklin14

Postby franklin14 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:33 pm

LeDique wrote:

Can someone help me out tho? Was there a reading for the mock class tomorrow? I've gotten on the road and don't have my CU letter with me to get into the admitted students site right now...If there is..Could you either PM me the link/pass or the reading or something? Let me know either way tho. I'm guessing there isn't given no one mentioned it in the threads but..

I'm also interested in going to Amy Goodman tomorrow. But I've got to call and see if that's sold out or not.

Sent the only way I could copy and paste. Looks to be all there.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:37 pm

Thanks a lot! About to head to the airport, and now I've got my reading on the plane.

LawSchoolPorFavor

Postby LawSchoolPorFavor » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:42 pm

Hey guys! Super jealous of everyone attending ASW (I can't afford to make the trip from nyc). I have a random question: Does anyone know anything about the Colorado women's rugby scene? I've heard good things about the "Boulder Babes," and hope I can play a bit when I'm not locked in the law school

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:19 pm

LeDique wrote:

Do you think it OK for the females to wear jeans?? I'm totally a jean girl, and that would be nice.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:23 pm

bananeez wrote:
LeDique wrote:

Do you think it OK for the females to wear jeans?? I'm totally a jean girl, and that would be nice.

It's Colorado- anything goes!

e: I plan to wear jeans in April.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:27 pm

krad wrote:
bananeez wrote:
LeDique wrote:

It's Colorado- anything goes!

e: I plan to wear jeans in April.

Haha. That's what I was thinking. Like, the city where everyone owns only Crocs and Birkenstocks has a dress code? But I didn't know since it is law school.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:48 pm

Got to Boulder earlier today and walked around campus, including the law building. It's a beautiful building, I can definitly see myself spending 3 years taking classes there.

Also, I would say that 70% of the students I saw walking through the halls were wearing jeans. I wasn't planning on wearing jeans, but I might now.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:54 pm

ptblazer wrote:Got to Boulder earlier today and walked around campus, including the law building. It's a beautiful building, I can definitly see myself spending 3 years taking classes there.

Also, I would say that 70% of the students I saw walking through the halls were wearing jeans. I wasn't planning on wearing jeans, but I might now.

Yay! Do you like Boulder so far? Where are you staying? You're going to meet up with me for drinks Friday night, right?

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:05 pm

bananeez wrote:
ptblazer wrote:Got to Boulder earlier today and walked around campus, including the law building. It's a beautiful building, I can definitly see myself spending 3 years taking classes there.

Yay! Do you like Boulder so far? Where are you staying? You're going to meet up with me for drinks Friday night, right?

I haven't seen anything that would make me rethink coming here next year. haha. But I've really only seen the campus and the street outside my hotel. I'm staying at the Rodeway Inn. I'll definitly go out friday night, I need to see more than the hotel and campus.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:45 am

FYI -- today WAS gorgeous, but tomorrow is supposed to be cold and snowy in the afternoon!! :shock:

krad

Postby krad » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:51 am

bananeez wrote:

FYI -- today WAS gorgeous, but tomorrow is supposed to be cold and snowy in the afternoon!! :shock:

Yup, snowy/rainy mix (my work conference is in Arvada lol, not far away after all!) be prepared peeps :)

Hope everyones having fun!

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:15 am

rekopter wrote:
franklin14 wrote:
Pufer wrote:Don't leave the state for more than a week during the year you're here.

For more than a week at a time, correct? You can leave for more than a total of a 7 days over the course of 12 months... right? Thanks man!!

Pufer is rather cautious on matters like these but there's not a hard-and-fast rule. The statute looks for intent to remain in Colorado and a 2-week visit with your family over the December break isn't going to defeat your petition for in-state.

(See http://registrar.colorado.edu/students/ ... tions.html)
You may leave the state for vacations or for other temporary reasons and need not maintain a residence in Colorado during a temporary absence. To maintain Colorado domicile during a temporary absence, you should keep Colorado connections, particularly voter registration and declaration of any out-of-state income on your Colorado state income tax return. On any other state tax return, you must file as a nonresident. However, residing in your previous home state for a substantial period of time (including summer) is some evidence of continued domicile in that place, although such residence does not by itself disqualify you for in-state status.

How would they even know that you left the state (assuming for vacation/family, not leaving to make OOS income)?

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:27 am

ArchRoark wrote:How would they even know that you left the state (assuming for vacation/family, not leaving to make OOS income)?

You have to disclose all absences from the state on the petition for in-state tuition, no matter how short they were (I'm not entirely certain on the last bit; there might be an exception for travel that lasts less than a day or something).

As of whenever you decided to come to law school, you basically gave up your right to fail to disclose stuff on official applications. At least until you get through character & fitness.

-Pufer

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:19 am

I think I'm going to be a little late today, I hope some of y'all check this at the asd and post a place I can meet y'all. Lol

waitlisteddd

Postby waitlisteddd » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:15 pm

hope everyone has fun at ASD!

please inform the rest of us who are still waiiitttinggggg about the marvels of CU!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”