CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
krad

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby krad » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:03 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
krad wrote:I don't think it's a mistake. I got that same email yesterday (though I wasn't on the WL) :)

Congrats Krad!

Thanks! I emailed last Friday, because I was becoming sooo impatient, and they emailed a copy of my admissions letter saying it was going in the mail. :)

Now, about those schollys... :wink: haha

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:09 pm

krad wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
krad wrote:I don't think it's a mistake. I got that same email yesterday (though I wasn't on the WL) :)

Congrats Krad!

Thanks! I emailed last Friday, because I was becoming sooo impatient, and they emailed a copy of my admissions letter saying it was going in the mail. :)

Now, about those schollys... :wink: haha

Want to email them again, this time about scholarships? :)

krad

Postby krad » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:11 pm

ptblazer wrote: Want to email them again, this time about scholarships? :)

I was actually considering it :)

franklin14

Postby franklin14 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:35 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Patriot29 wrote:
tahahahah. k buddy. I scored consistently above 165 on practice exams, and both times I take that damned test, I score less than 160. Some people can't take the pressure of taking this type of life or death exam and CHOKE. Made the mistake of taking someones advice of retaking the first time, never again.

Good luck passing the bar, then...

Also: I'm not your buddy. Please don't address me as such, it's obnoxious.

Patriot29: My friends in law school have all unanimously stated that LSAT performance has little/nothing to do with LS performance. Finals are different, tear it up when you get there man. Hope you make it in to CU and don't have to leave your promised land. Don't let the obnoxiously condescending offers to up your score for a price deter you.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:40 pm

franklin14 wrote:Patriot29: My friends in law school have all unanimously stated that LSAT performance has little/nothing to do with LS performance. Finals are different, tear it up when you get there man. Hope you make it in to CU and don't have to leave your promised land. Don't let the obnoxiously condescending offers to up your score for a price deter you.

I don't believe suggesting LSAT tutoring is obnoxious OR condescending. Nor did anyone indicate that LSAT was a great predictor of law school success.

However, it is common knowledge that:
1) Better LSAT = better offers for $$ or admission (unless you applied to Minnesota)
2) Test anxiety severely affecting your score is something that needs to be controlled, or it will have an impact on bar passage.

No condescension or obnoxiousness. Just facts.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:44 pm

LSAT score combined with one's undergraduate GPA is the single best indicator of success during the first year of law school. This has been studied repeatedly.

Patriot29

Postby Patriot29 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:03 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Patriot29 wrote:
tahahahah. k buddy. I scored consistently above 165 on practice exams, and both times I take that damned test, I score less than 160. Some people can't take the pressure of taking this type of life or death exam and CHOKE. Made the mistake of taking someones advice of retaking the first time, never again.

I wasn't trying to be condescending or anything, but hey I'm a Masshole so deal with it. And yea, I'm not looking forward to the bar.

Patriot29

Postby Patriot29 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:05 pm

franklin14 wrote:
Patriot29: My friends in law school have all unanimously stated that LSAT performance has little/nothing to do with LS performance. Finals are different, tear it up when you get there man. Hope you make it in to CU and don't have to leave your promised land. Don't let the obnoxiously condescending offers to up your score for a price deter you.

Thanks a lot man, I appreciate it. I hope you're right.

upfish

Postby upfish » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:37 pm

chrisbru wrote:
franklin14 wrote:Patriot29: My friends in law school have all unanimously stated that LSAT performance has little/nothing to do with LS performance. Finals are different, tear it up when you get there man. Hope you make it in to CU and don't have to leave your promised land. Don't let the obnoxiously condescending offers to up your score for a price deter you.

I don't believe suggesting LSAT tutoring is obnoxious OR condescending. Nor did anyone indicate that LSAT was a great predictor of law school success.

1) Better LSAT = better offers for $$ or admission (unless you applied to Minnesota)
2) Test anxiety severely affecting your score is something that needs to be controlled, or it will have an impact on bar passage.

Credited by my own experience of getting a 158, studying 8 hours a day for three months, and getting a 168. Admissions went from 1/5 to 4/6 (w/one pending), and scholarships jumped $10-15k.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:51 pm

franklin14 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Patriot29 wrote:

Well, your friends would be discredited by LSAC and their books of statistics, it certainly does correlate with LS performance.

The LSAT correlates with your 1L grades about 4x more than your GPA. Obviously a lot of other factors affect law school performance. The combination of the LSAT and GPA together (your index) is the single best indicator of law school performance (next to being left handed ;) )

If you want to check for yourself you can go online and look at the report LSAC publishes every year, it's under the data part of the web page.
Last edited by typ3 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krad

Postby krad » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:52 pm

upfish wrote: Credited by my own experience of getting a 158, studying 8 hours a day for three months, and getting a 168. Admissions went from 1/5 to 4/6 (w/one pending), and scholarships jumped $10-15k.

Congrats, nice job!!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:54 pm

upfish wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Credited by my own experience of getting a 158, studying 8 hours a day for three months, and getting a 168. Admissions went from 1/5 to 4/6 (w/one pending), and scholarships jumped $10-15k.

Agreed. I jumped 10 points from my very first cold PT that I took from my undergrad.

upfish

Postby upfish » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:00 pm

krad wrote:
upfish wrote: Credited by my own experience of getting a 158, studying 8 hours a day for three months, and getting a 168. Admissions went from 1/5 to 4/6 (w/one pending), and scholarships jumped $10-15k.

Congrats, nice job!!

Thanks! I found TLS in the interim there and used pithypike's method. Tooootally worth it! :D

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:09 pm

typ3 wrote:The LSAT correlates with your 1L grades about 4x more than your GPA. Obviously a lot of other factors affect law school performance. The combination of the LSAT and GPA together (your index) is the single best indicator of law school performance (next to being left handed ;) )

If you want to check for yourself you can go online and look at the report LSAC publishes every year, it's under the data part of the web page.

Not saying I disagree with you, but LSAC would say that wouldn't they, after all they are the ones that administer the LSAT.

franklin14

Postby franklin14 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:40 pm

ptblazer wrote:
typ3 wrote:The LSAT correlates with your 1L grades about 4x more than your GPA. Obviously a lot of other factors affect law school performance. The combination of the LSAT and GPA together (your index) is the single best indicator of law school performance (next to being left handed ;) )

Not saying I disagree with you, but LSAC would say that wouldn't they, after all they are the ones that administer the LSAT.

Definitely believe it would be the single best indicator. I don't, however, know if that correlation is strong enough for me to not stick up for someone who beleives that they are going to be a better student than their respective LSAT scores indicate especially given potentially extenuating circumstances. "Single best" indicator does not mean "great" indicator. This thread has been an upbeat place of support, and I believe this to be its best purpose.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:52 pm

and in other news, i finally made my reservations for april asd (not that anyone else will be there, but hey, i'll get lots of attention i guess!)

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:55 pm

franklin14 wrote:Definitely believe it would be the single best indicator. I don't, however, know if that correlation is strong enough for me to not stick up for someone who beleives that they are going to be a better student than their respective LSAT scores indicate especially given potentially extenuating circumstances. "Single best" indicator does not mean "great" indicator. This thread has been an upbeat place of support, and I believe this to be its best purpose.

I want to follow up on what you said, because I just did a little research on it, and you couldn't be more right. This is from LSAC.

During 2007 validity studies were conducted for 187 law schools. Correlations between LSAT scores and first year law school grades ranged from .00 to .56 (median is .33). Correlations between LSAT scores combined with undergraduate grade point averages and first year law school grades ranged from .27 to .65 (median is .46).

A correlation range of .00 to .30 is generally considered weak.

In other words, basically the LSAT is there to get you in the door and hopefully get scholarship money.
Last edited by ptblazer on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:56 pm

oldhippie wrote:and in other news, i finally made my reservations for april asd (not that anyone else will be there, but hey, i'll get lots of attention i guess!)

I'll be there oldhippie! I'm already doing something on the 4th, and DU's is on March 25th, so I figure it's best to have the two close to each other as I try to make my decision.
Last edited by fundamentallybroken on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:57 pm

ptblazer wrote:
franklin14 wrote:Definitely believe it would be the single best indicator. I don't, however, know if that correlation is strong enough for me to not stick up for someone who beleives that they are going to be a better student than their respective LSAT scores indicate especially given potentially extenuating circumstances. "Single best" indicator does not mean "great" indicator. This thread has been an upbeat place of support, and I believe this to be its best purpose.

I want to follow up on what you said, because I just did a little research on it, and you couldn't be more right. This is from LSAC.

During 2007 validity studies were conducted for 187 law schools. Correlations between LSAT scores and first year law school grades ranged from .00 to .56 (median is .33). Correlations between LSAT scores combined with undergraduate grade point averages and first year law school grades ranged from .27 to .65 (median is .46).

A correlation range of .00 to .30 is generally considered weak.

I would be interested to see the correlation between race and grades and SES and grades. I have a feeling LSAC wouldn't want to look into that since they may find the top 10% tends to be waspiest 10%.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:57 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
oldhippie wrote:and in other news, i finally made my reservations for april asd (not that anyone else will be there, but hey, i'll get lots of attention i guess!)

I'll be there oldhippie! I'm already doing something on the 4th, and DU's is on the 25th, so I figure it's best to have the two close to each other as I try to make my decision.

yay!!! a TLSer to hang with!! :D

krad

Postby krad » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:01 pm

oldhippie wrote:

I'll be there oldhippie! I'm already doing something on the 4th, and DU's is on the 25th, so I figure it's best to have the two close to each other as I try to make my decision.

Add another from the Colorado resident contingent! I'm going to RSVP soon, I just have to play a little "oh I'm sick I can't come in" at work the day before... Somewhat sketchy as I'm out of town to visit BOS/STL the Monday of that same week, oops. :) Wooo!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:16 pm

krad wrote:
oldhippie wrote:

Add another from the Colorado resident contingent! I'm going to RSVP soon, I just have to play a little "oh I'm sick I can't come in" at work the day before... Somewhat sketchy as I'm out of town to visit BOS/STL the Monday of that same week, oops. :) Wooo!

Make sure you stop by Mike's pastries in boston!!! mmm cannoli!

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:26 pm

cool...i feel like it's important to meet some of you guys, we've been through a lot together it seems! :D

krad

Postby krad » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:47 pm

oldhippie wrote:cool...i feel like it's important to meet some of you guys, we've been through a lot together it seems! :D

For real! :)

eta for others: FWIW I emailed today asking if there is a solid end date of the scholarship notification period... so I'm not frantically checking my mailbox for the next 3 mos.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:09 pm

krad wrote:
oldhippie wrote:cool...i feel like it's important to meet some of you guys, we've been through a lot together it seems! :D

For real! :)

eta for others: FWIW I emailed today asking if there is a solid end date of the scholarship notification period... so I'm not frantically checking my mailbox for the next 3 mos.

definitly would like to know the answer to that.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”