CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rekopter

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby rekopter » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:26 pm

eminem wrote:1L classes are between 25 and 85 people, but there will be a dozen or so people that will be in all of your classes with you. Is this correct?

Correct. Half of your 1L classes will be in the 25-40 range and the other half will be in the 70-80 range.

Also, can anybody talk a little about the legal research/writing program? Is it for credit? Two semesters? How big are the classes and is it taught by faculty or TAs?

We have permanent legal writing faculty and it's a year-long class for 2 credits each semester. I think each section is capped at 24 or 25. The legal writing profs are outstanding. My legal writing prof is among my favorite in the entire school and the majority of my classmates have similar feelings toward their professors as well.

Sorry if my questions seem gunnerific, but I already know Boulder is awesome. I just want to know a few things about the school itself. Thanks.[/quote]

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:36 pm

typ3 wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:I am not sure if I posted this question already, but does anyone know if CU is open to negotiating scholarships or matching/competing with peer schools' offers?

I would guess that because they are limited in the amount of money they give out that no they won't match.

I believe there are only 2 tiers of scholarships at CU.

The full ride (5 of them per year according to the adcoms comments on fbook)

And the 19k over 3 years to make up the difference between in state and out of state. You can claim state residency after the 1st year so you could save an extra 14k or so.

If someone turns down one of the five full rides, do they offer that scholarship to someone else?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:42 pm

rekopter wrote:
Sorry if my questions seem gunnerific, but I already know Boulder is awesome. I just want to know a few things about the school itself. Thanks.

Your questions aren't gunnerific. Typically gunner questions are, where's the best place to hide old exams in the library so other students can't find them...

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:16 am

typ3 wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:I am not sure if I posted this question already, but does anyone know if CU is open to negotiating scholarships or matching/competing with peer schools' offers?

I would guess that because they are limited in the amount of money they give out that no they won't match.

And the 19k over 3 years to make up the difference between in state and out of state. You can claim state residency after the 1st year so you could save an extra 14k or so.

I don't think that is right. Last year there were scholarships awarded other than a full ride or 19k.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:47 am

ptblazer wrote:
typ3 wrote:

I don't think that is right. Last year there were scholarships awarded other than a full ride or 19k.

Yes, but I didn't think any of them went to students who were out of state?

Edit: Ah, correction on my earlier comment. It does appear you can get 22k 1L and 14k 2L & 3L years.

The obvious is this is done because they assume you will establish residency after 2L. You entire tuition fees owned then is about 45k.. certainly an affordable choice.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:59 am

excited/terrified that scholarships are finally coming out..........the last piece of the puzzle i need to fall into place........

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:03 am

oldhippie wrote:excited/terrified that scholarships are finally coming out..........the last piece of the puzzle i need to fall into place........

Would you attend without a scholarship? (I'm assuming you'll get one regardless of the question)

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:18 am

typ3 wrote:
oldhippie wrote:excited/terrified that scholarships are finally coming out..........the last piece of the puzzle i need to fall into place........

Would you attend without a scholarship? (I'm assuming you'll get one regardless of the question)

that's a really hard question. i should say no, i'm too old to pick up much debt. but we really want to be in colorado for the long term and this is such a great way to get there.....so all i can say is without one, i'll actually have to consider other options but i still think CU might win...

and i love you for saying i'll get one regardless...... :)

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:27 am

oldhippie wrote:
typ3 wrote:

that's a really hard question. i should say no, i'm too old to pick up much debt. but we really want to be in colorado for the long term and this is such a great way to get there.....so all i can say is without one, i'll actually have to consider other options but i still think CU might win...

and i love you for saying i'll get one regardless...... :)

Have you thought about DU?

It's not nearly as ranked as high, but if you want to stay in the Denver area it's a decent alternative that is affordable with your #'s since they would give you 75k a year. If you care more about location and less about rankings then it's not a terrible back up plan to get to colorado... other then a sleigh dog or covered wagon..

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:34 am

i have thought about it and will think much harder if i don't get $ love from CU very soon....
thanks for the suggestion, for some reason i didn't consider it in my initial batch of apps but it's in the running now...

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:49 pm

Me too, but mostly terrified. My LSAT score isn't as good as yours, so I will be sweating this out even more. My guess is that we will start seeing people receive scholarships in the mail towards the end of the week. My thinking is that CU mailed out the scholarships last friday, the same day that they emailed the dean's award recipients.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:55 pm

stupid holiday, no mail. uncool to have nothing to look forward to when i get home....
in other news, i just sent an app to denver just for kicks....i'm going to colorado one way or another, dammit! :D

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:10 pm

oldhippie wrote:stupid holiday, no mail. uncool to have nothing to look forward to when i get home....
in other news, i just sent an app to denver just for kicks....i'm going to colorado one way or another, dammit! :D

Denver is a good choice esp if you're interested in a joint mba program.

Patriot29

Postby Patriot29 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:28 pm

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Patriot29 wrote:
I hate it when people say retake the LSAT. Some people just can not improve.

#logicfail.

I'll tutor you if you want (for a price). I guarantee a 4 point improvement if you scored less than 165.

Same. If you're in the area where I am I can tutor you. I PT'd avg higher than my test day score. I have a good reason for my lower score. If anyone wants to hear the story at an ASW I'll tell you guys. It's hilarious and completely legit.

tahahahah. k buddy. I scored consistently above 165 on practice exams, and both times I take that damned test, I score less than 160. Some people can't take the pressure of taking this type of life or death exam and CHOKE. Made the mistake of taking someones advice of retaking the first time, never again.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:30 pm

I think the lsat is important because it tests your nerves under pressure. You're likely to see this same pressure test in law school and on the bar. Thus, it is somewhat of a decent indicator of nerve management if you choke on it.

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:38 pm

If nerves are really killing your score that badly it sounds like you should talk to a doctor about a really small dose of an anti-anxiety medication. It'll hurt your score but not that badly. But anyway back to the topic.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Patriot29 wrote:
tahahahah. k buddy. I scored consistently above 165 on practice exams, and both times I take that damned test, I score less than 160. Some people can't take the pressure of taking this type of life or death exam and CHOKE. Made the mistake of taking someones advice of retaking the first time, never again.

Good luck passing the bar, then...

Also: I'm not your buddy. Please don't address me as such, it's obnoxious.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:41 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Patriot29 wrote:

I am pretty sure he was speaking to typ3.

whitman

Postby whitman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:02 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Patriot29 wrote:

If you find slightly condescending informality obnoxious, you should have used the whole "logicfail" line on him, buddy.

TreeHugger20

Postby TreeHugger20 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:18 pm

In off of the waitlist as of ten minutes ago!!! It came as an invite to the open house and said that my letter was mailed on Friday. I can't believe it!!!

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:24 pm

TreeHugger20 wrote:In off of the waitlist as of ten minutes ago!!! It came as an invite to the open house and said that my letter was mailed on Friday. I can't believe it!!!

Congratulations!!

nicole88

Postby nicole88 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:25 pm

I also just received the invite to the ASD, and they said my acceptance was sent out Friday - yay :) Now I just need to see if they can offer any money... this comes separately through mail, correct?

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:32 pm

nicole88 wrote:I also just received the invite to the ASD, and they said my acceptance was sent out Friday - yay :) Now I just need to see if they can offer any money... this comes separately through mail, correct?

Congratulations to you also! As for scholarships, yes they come seperately in the mail, but you'll have to join the wait. Basically everyone is still waiting to hear about scholarships, although, there is reason to hope that they are coming soon.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:33 pm

Yay!! Congrats guys! :D :D :D

nicole88

Postby nicole88 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:34 pm

ptblazer wrote:
nicole88 wrote:I also just received the invite to the ASD, and they said my acceptance was sent out Friday - yay :) Now I just need to see if they can offer any money... this comes separately through mail, correct?

Congratulations to you also! As for scholarships, yes they come seperately in the mail, but you'll have to join the wait. Basically everyone is still waiting to hear about scholarships, although, there is reason to hope that they are coming soon.

That's what I figured, thanks everyone!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”