CU Boulder 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
queenlizzie13

Silver

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:15 pm

Congrats to all those who got full rides!! That is awesome. Also awesome how they seem to be fairly holistic in awarding their scholarships.

just give me something CU. I will take 5k a year or 7.5k a year like I got from W&L and OSU and I'm going. You will get my GPA to boost your median

TheGreatWait

New

Post by TheGreatWait » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:24 pm

I take it you're the 164 / 3.7 on LSN?[/quote]

I don't think they are the same, different schools in their profile.[/quote]

Yeah that is someone else.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:33 pm

Damn, I was really hoping to be one of those full ride folks, but nothing so far. Not sure I'd go with much short of a full ride with Penn, etc, on the table.

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:49 pm

whitman wrote:Damn, I was really hoping to be one of those full ride folks, but nothing so far. Not sure I'd go with much short of a full ride with Penn, etc, on the table.
Sorry to hear that, but it sort of seems like all the full ride scholarships have been offered. Good luck at Penn (or wherever you end up).

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:55 pm

ptblazer wrote:
whitman wrote:Damn, I was really hoping to be one of those full ride folks, but nothing so far. Not sure I'd go with much short of a full ride with Penn, etc, on the table.
Sorry to hear that, but it sort of seems like all the full ride scholarships have been offered. Good luck at Penn (or wherever you end up).

Thanks. Iknow that sounded like a dick thing to say, but honestly, I actually wish I hadn't gotten into those schools. I want to go to CU and think I'd be much happier there, but it's like this weird pressure to go to a school like that if you're in. I don't know.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:04 pm

whitman wrote:
ptblazer wrote:

Thanks. Iknow that sounded like a dick thing to say, but honestly, I actually wish I hadn't gotten into those schools. I want to go to CU and think I'd be much happier there, but it's like this weird pressure to go to a school like that if you're in. I don't know.
eh. I've gotten into some T-14's so far, but I want to go to CU over michigan with $ since my gf will likely be in denver next year. I feel like I'm in a similar boat. I think because I app'd late that I missed the full at CU (doubt I would have landed it anyway seeing as though I am not an international aviation wizard).

I have yet to even get my acceptance, unless it arrives next week via snail with a full ride packaged with it.

I have two really pressing questions in the case I am admitted before the March ASW.

1st. Where is the best place to get bison/buffalo in Boulder?
2nd. Where is the best bakery / cupcake cafe?

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:45 pm

ptblazer wrote:
brose wrote:Got my acceptance letter yesterday!

And the girl who got the full ride w/ the 164 has a lot of awesome softs :D
Alright!! Now you know it wasn't a joke, haha. Out of Curiosity, did the letter mention the WL, or was it the standard acceptance?

I'm glad the girl who got the scholarship has awesome softs. I for one am glad that CU is giving full rides to people who have actually earned them and not just applicants with 170+ LSAT and 3.9 GPA. Accomplishments outside the classroom speak a whole lot louder than a 4 hour test, in my book.
It didn't mention the WL... which is weird but I'll take it. I don't think I will be attending but this is all so crazy to me! haha

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:57 pm

greeneyes812 wrote:Just curious, any applicants left that have been complete for over a month? I though for sure I would have heard back by now...
Me. I think there are a few others on LSN too. I would be really happy if I could go to ASW to hit the slopes, but I likely won't make it out there at this rate.

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:12 pm

I'm a cupcake fiend-----> get them at Tee & Cakes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:16 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:I'm a cupcake fiend-----> get them at Tee & Cakes.
Same. I already made a run today and blew 8 bucks on cupncakes... I splurged for the extra large 4 dollar variety.

Had a delicious red velvet one though. Stl this is a clear sign that we're meant to be roomates at CU just say no to bloomington... we have the same mind.

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:24 pm

Dude red velvet is my favorite! Cream cheese frosting FTW.
It was meant to be, my friend.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:28 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:Dude red velvet is my favorite! Cream cheese frosting FTW.
I eat cream cheese frosting on everything! Graham crackers, chocolate cake.. etc. my gf hates it and I supposedly ruined her birthday last year b/c i made an angel food cake and slathered it in cream cheese frosting for her party. bahaha

I'm glad there are other foodies on here.

EDIT: would it be inappropriate to schedule a normal tour as a prospective student during ASW even though I am not an admit yet? I don't want to miss the beverage session and mountain shredding festivities. April ASW will just feel like an after thought.

eminem

New

Post by eminem » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:30 am

Can any current student tell me how big the 1L sections are at CU? What size was your biggest/smallest class? Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:04 pm

Not certain, but I believe that the first year class is divided into two sections of about 85 students each.

P.S. My source is USNews so if any CU students can answer then that would be the more accurate response.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:22 pm

typ3 wrote:
stlisforlovers wrote:Dude red velvet is my favorite! Cream cheese frosting FTW.
I eat cream cheese frosting on everything! Graham crackers, chocolate cake.. etc. my gf hates it and I supposedly ruined her birthday last year b/c i made an angel food cake and slathered it in cream cheese frosting for her party. bahaha

I'm glad there are other foodies on here.

EDIT: would it be inappropriate to schedule a normal tour as a prospective student during ASW even though I am not an admit yet? I don't want to miss the beverage session and mountain shredding festivities. April ASW will just feel like an after thought.
I'm definitely a foodie/ overgrown fat kid trapped in the body of a small chick.
How could cream cheese frosting ruin ANYTHING?!?!?!

And as far as ASW, I say go for it. I'm not sure sneaking in and getting free booze is a great idea, but maybe they'll offer/ not care and at least you can board with decent conditions. And meet all of us!

rekopter

New

Post by rekopter » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:41 pm

eminem wrote:Can any current student tell me how big the 1L sections are at CU? What size was your biggest/smallest class? Thanks.
CU doesn't do sections like other schools do sections in that you have one section with which you have all of your classes with.

Half of your classes will be in the 70-80 range and half will be in the 25-40 range. By the end of the year, the goal is that you'll have had at least one class with every other member of your class.

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:54 pm

rekopter wrote:CU doesn't do sections like other schools do sections in that you have one section with which you have all of your classes with.
To clarify what rekopter is saying here, we actually do have sections that you'll have all your classes with, but they're really small (like a dozen folks), which is substantially different than what goes on in a lot of other schools.

-Pufer

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:05 pm

Pufer wrote:
rekopter wrote:CU doesn't do sections like other schools do sections in that you have one section with which you have all of your classes with.
To clarify what rekopter is saying here, we actually do have sections that you'll have all your classes with, but they're really small (like a dozen folks), which is substantially different than what goes on in a lot of other schools.

-Pufer
How easy are upper level scholarships to nab and are there very many?

rekopter

New

Post by rekopter » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:13 pm

typ3 wrote:
Pufer wrote:

-Pufer
There are a few specialized scholarships for students who want to specialize in IP or have a dedication to environmental law for instance but they are small in size and number. In other words, don't count on them.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:05 pm

For their institution size and ranking it seems like there is a serious dearth of scholarship financial aid. Lower ranked big 10 / 12 schools throw $$ around like it's snow.

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:46 pm

typ3 wrote:For their institution size and ranking it seems like there is a serious dearth of scholarship financial aid. Lower ranked big 10 / 12 schools throw $$ around like it's snow.
When your school is located in Boulder attracting quality applicants probably isn't a huge issue for them, haha. Tuition (instate) is also less expensive than most, if not all, comparable schools. I think it was Pufer who wrote it, but several pages back there is a pretty good explanation for why there aren't more scholarships at CU.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:35 pm

rekopter wrote:
typ3 wrote:
Pufer wrote:

-Pufer
There are a few specialized scholarships for students who want to specialize in IP or have a dedication to environmental law for instance but they are small in size and number. In other words, don't count on them.
Yeah, most of the upper-level scholarships are related to either diversity or some specialized thing. There are actually a lot of them, but most of them are $2k or less.
typ3 wrote:For their institution size and ranking it seems like there is a serious dearth of scholarship financial aid. Lower ranked big 10 / 12 schools throw $$ around like it's snow.
As ptblazer said, I did do a rather detailed post on this a few pages ago. Specifically as to big 10/12 schools, this is literally the first time I've ever heard anyone make any comparison between CU Law and any other school based on conference (at least as far as I can recall). Anyway, I suspect that the other schools probably get more than 2% of their funding from their respective undergrads/states so they can afford to dish out more $$$.

eminem

New

Post by eminem » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:48 pm

1L classes are between 25 and 85 people, but there will be a dozen or so people that will be in all of your classes with you. Is this correct?

Also, can anybody talk a little about the legal research/writing program? Is it for credit? Two semesters? How big are the classes and is it taught by faculty or TAs?

Sorry if my questions seem gunnerific, but I already know Boulder is awesome. I just want to know a few things about the school itself. Thanks.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:08 pm

I am not sure if I posted this question already, but does anyone know if CU is open to negotiating scholarships or matching/competing with peer schools' offers?

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:10 pm

ArchRoark wrote:I am not sure if I posted this question already, but does anyone know if CU is open to negotiating scholarships or matching/competing with peer schools' offers?
I would guess that because they are limited in the amount of money they give out that no they won't match.

I believe there are only 2 tiers of scholarships at CU.

The full ride (5 of them per year according to the adcoms comments on fbook)

And the 19k over 3 years to make up the difference between in state and out of state. You can claim state residency after the 1st year so you could save an extra 14k or so.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”