CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
krad

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby krad » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:02 pm

We can balance each other out :)

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:03 pm

exactly :D
keeps life more interesting that way!

ETA - i'm also a veteran, so i have many facets :wink:

krad

Postby krad » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:06 pm

oldhippie wrote:exactly :D

^ interesting!!

upfish

Postby upfish » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:34 pm

krad wrote:
oldhippie wrote:exactly :D

^ interesting!!

Howard Zinn served during WWII. It takes (makes?) all kinds, haha.

ETA: and also congrats, krad, too!

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:39 pm

Congrats krad!! Are you pretty sure you will be up at CU?

krad

Postby krad » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:45 pm

@ upfish- lol!

I'm not sure, but the more I've been thinking about it (and watching my cycle play out) the more I am leaning towards it! I am quite debt averse at this point, even in the T14, and CU in-state for 3 years is a pretty good deal, esp if they threw me ANY $. Plus I wouldn't spend $ to move away from all my friends/connections here (I'm orig from FL so the fam is there)... Decisions ahh!

Also, apparently my excited response to my acceptance email made the CU rep's day :)

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:52 pm

So I'm sorta worried I'm gonna go visit and fall in love with the hippies/mountains/ awesomness that is CU even though I'm fairly certain attending CU will be the financially wrong decision.

I should still go visit right? :shock:

krad

Postby krad » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:54 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:So I'm sorta worried I'm gonna go visit and fall in love with the hippies/mountains/ awesomness that is CU even though I'm fairly certain attending CU will be the financially wrong decision.

Yes! Because no matter what you decide, you'll have had a mini vacay to Colorado :) I have a trip planned to two cities/LS's because I've never been to one, and the other is fun to visit! Though I don't know what the heck I'm doing at this point lol.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:55 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:So I'm sorta worried I'm gonna go visit and fall in love with the hippies/mountains/ awesomness that is CU even though I'm fairly certain attending CU will be the financially wrong decision.

a vacation in colorado is ALWAYS the right thing to do.
just enjoy it no matter what you end up deciding :D

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:17 pm

You get in state at CU after the first year if you have had a residence there for 12 months. It's not like minnesota or iowa where you can't get it if you are there primarily for school.

This cuts down on the cost of school a little bit. You'll likely get a 19k scholarship or whatever the difference is between instate and out of state over 3 years with your numbers. You can ask pufer, but I think this stacks with state residency. So your tuition cost 2l and 3l years would be like 22-23k. That's not a lot for law school, but Minnesota might be a better option for you.

Patriot29

Postby Patriot29 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:23 pm

Stay away from Colorado! It is my well kept secret and I refuse to share!!!!

No but seriously, this is my last semester at UColorado undergrad and I'm expecting a ding from the law school so I'm really sad to be leaving, and I'm wicked jealous at all of you who are starting the next chapter of your lives there.

oh and p.s. Boulder is not filled with hippies, just super rich hipster-type kids and gnarly I-don't-give-a-shit shredders. I don't really know what's worse.
Last edited by Patriot29 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Patriot29 wrote:Stay away from Colorado! It is my well kept secret and I refuse to share!!!!

No but seriously, this is my last semester at UColorado undergrad and I'm expecting a ding from the law school so I'm really sad to be leaving, and I'm wicked jealous at all of you who are starting the next chapter of your lives there.

stay and work in colorado and retake your lsat.

Instate tuition + cu law :)

Patriot29

Postby Patriot29 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:28 pm

typ3 wrote:
Patriot29 wrote:Stay away from Colorado! It is my well kept secret and I refuse to share!!!!

stay and work in colorado and retake your lsat.

Instate tuition + cu law :)

I hate it when people say retake the LSAT. Some people just can not improve.

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:30 pm

Y'all are right. Colorado vacay= win. Maybe CU adcomms will meet me and throw fistfuls of cash at me. It could happen right? :wink:

@typ3- IU is far and away my cheapest option right now so I'd prolly go there and not Minnesota but I hope you're right about the CU scholly! (and I hope you friggin hear soon!)

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:40 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:Y'all are right. Colorado vacay= win. Maybe CU adcomms will meet me and throw fistfuls of cash at me. It could happen right? :wink:

@typ3- IU is far and away my cheapest option right now so I'd prolly go there and not Minnesota but I hope you're right about the CU scholly! (and I hope you friggin hear soon!)

Oh yea I forgot about IU, I forget I have you slotted for a full at UofI, but I think they are really struggling to fill their in-state requirements. For that reason, they are throwing money to candidates who are instate with a lot lower indexes than yours. I knew Minnesota threw you money but I totally forgot you don't get in state reciprocity (I do and it makes it so cheap with even a little money :-/ )

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:51 pm

Patriot29 wrote:

#logicfail.

I'll tutor you if you want (for a price). I guarantee a 4 point improvement if you scored less than 165.

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:22 pm

Patriot29 wrote:oh and p.s. Boulder is not filled with hippies, just super rich hipster-type kids and gnarly I-don't-give-a-shit shredders. I don't really know what's worse.

I certainly don't frequent Boulder, but the few times I have been there I have witnessed:
-a 100+ person drum circle
- 8,000 people celebrating 420 with a "smoke out"
-naked bike riders (including many CU professors) protesting Americans dependence on oil

Maybe it's because I'm in a pretty red area of the country, but Boulder reeks of pathcouli to me

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:25 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:
Patriot29 wrote:oh and p.s. Boulder is not filled with hippies, just super rich hipster-type kids and gnarly I-don't-give-a-shit shredders. I don't really know what's worse.

I certainly don't frequent Boulder, but the few times I have been there I have witnessed:
-a 100+ person drum circle
- 8,000 people celebrating 420 with a "smoke out"
-naked bike riders (including many CU professors) protesting Americans dependence on oil

Maybe it's because I'm in a pretty red area of the country, but Boulder reeks of pathcouli to me

Ironic that two schools I am seriously considering are CU and Alabama.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:27 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Patriot29 wrote:

#logicfail.

I'll tutor you if you want (for a price). I guarantee a 4 point improvement if you scored less than 165.

Same. If you're in the area where I am I can tutor you. I PT'd avg higher than my test day score. I have a good reason for my lower score. If anyone wants to hear the story at an ASW I'll tell you guys. It's hilarious and completely legit.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:44 pm

FYI: Someone posted a full ride scholarship on LSN. Congratulations if it was someone on here and hopefully there are more to come and they come to TLSers.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:52 pm

ptblazer wrote:FYI: Someone posted a full ride scholarship on LSN. Congratulations if it was someone on here and hopefully there are more to come and they come to TLSers.

No disrespect. But a 164 / 3.7 and they get a full over some of the other candidates?

I know it's not entirely a numbers game, but I really hope they give money to URMs and some traditional applicants.

There's a 164 / 3.74 URM and he has no scholly. I don't want to sound like the typical liberal, but if you're throwing out scholarships to people with those numbers why not get some color in the law school.... like krad with her mimosa tan.
Last edited by typ3 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:59 pm

typ3 wrote:
ptblazer wrote:FYI: Someone posted a full ride scholarship on LSN. Congratulations if it was someone on here and hopefully there are more to come and they come to TLSers.

No disrespect. But a 164 / 3.7 and they get a full?

I know it's not entirely a numbers game, but I really hope they give money to URMs and some traditional applicants.

There's a 164 / 3.74 URM and he has no scholly. I don't want to sound like the typical liberal, but if you're throwing out scholarships to people with those numbers why not get some color in the law school.

I'm sure the person who received it was plenty deserving, and I really am happy for her. Unfortunitly you can't learn anything about anyone based on the limited profile of LSN.

upfish

Postby upfish » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:44 pm

ptblazer wrote:
typ3 wrote:

No disrespect. But a 164 / 3.7 and they get a full?

There's a 164 / 3.74 URM and he has no scholly. I don't want to sound like the typical liberal, but if you're throwing out scholarships to people with those numbers why not get some color in the law school.

I'm sure the person who received it was plenty deserving, and I really am happy for her. Unfortunitly you can't learn anything about anyone based on the limited profile of LSN.

Yeah, using my extreme stalker skillz (read: clicking around on her LSN profile and comments a bit), it seems she is an international naval aviation wizard or something. She got a handwritten note from the dean at Iowa. I would say she has SOMETHING going on there.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:46 pm

wow, that's amazing! I just wish I knew where she lived so I could estimate when I will (not) receive a scholarship letter. Good luck everyone, I'm happy to see some scholarship movement!

upfish

Postby upfish » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:47 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:wow, that's amazing! I just wish I knew where she lived so I could estimate when I will (not) receive a scholarship letter. Good luck everyone, I'm happy to see some scholarship movement!

Haha, she's in Austin, TX, I think. They spoke with her over the phone or email or something according to her profile. God I feel creepy right now.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”