CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thewarflamingo

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby thewarflamingo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:39 pm

Actually, I'm positive he's just messing with us. That's mean. :oops:

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:39 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:I think he's joking...or I hope?

She's joking.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:41 pm

Yes, I am joking. (Wondering who would do a "wait...". That went surprisingly well!)

Edit: That was mean, sorry. Of course, in the DU thread I was making jokes about force feeding the homeless as a public service, so apparently I'm on a roll today!

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:43 pm

typ3 wrote:

She's joking.

She? Oh come on now...

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:47 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:

Yes, I am joking. (Wondering who would do a "wait...". That went surprisingly well!)

Edit: That was mean, sorry. Of course, in the DU thread I was making jokes about force feeding the homeless as a public service, so apparently I'm on a roll today!

I actually wasn't sure if you had even been accepted yet... :lol:

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:49 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:

Oh yeah, I got an email yesterday, then a letter last night. Now I'm just waiting for the scholly like everyone else! (And, waiting in solidarity for an acceptance letter for krad!)

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:50 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:

Oh yeah, I got an email yesterday, then a letter last night. Now I'm just waiting for the scholly like everyone else! (And, waiting in solidarity for an acceptance letter for krad!)

Awesome, congrats! Welcome to the brutal scholarship wait.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:46 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote: (And, waiting in solidarity for an acceptance letter for krad!)

Haha thanks. Maybe one day... I hope y'all hear about schollys soon, too! I'm not excited that next Monday means no mail, but I am excited to have the day off :)

Kyllo

Postby Kyllo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:22 am

Long time stalker, first time poster

Does anyone know how they communicate a rejection or waitlist? Is that through email as well or do they prolong the torture and send those decisions by snail mail?

krad

Postby krad » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:55 am

Sooo I finally gave in and emailed a contact in admissions that I'd spoken with in November... We'll see what she has to say :roll:

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:56 am

krad wrote:Sooo I finally gave in and emailed a contact in admissions that I'd spoken with in November... We'll see what she has to say :roll:

good, i'm glad you did. your wait has been ridiculous.
good luck!!!

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:29 pm

Kyllo wrote:Long time stalker, first time poster

Does anyone know how they communicate a rejection or waitlist? Is that through email as well or do they prolong the torture and send those decisions by snail mail?

All decisions have been made via snail mail (with the exception of a few recent notifications by email). If you've been waiting a long time for a decision I wouldn't worry to much, they haven't been the quickest at sending them out.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:48 pm

krad wrote:Sooo I finally gave in and emailed a contact in admissions that I'd spoken with in November... We'll see what she has to say :roll:

Yea that's really weird. November and no response is really fishy. They must have lost your letter, but if they did you would have received email updates I would think.

I'm really surprised that Denver didn't give you the full 25k a year instead of 20k. You might be able to negotiate that up to the max if cu doesn't work out (which I'm thinking that it will). Are you a DU or CU lean?

DrVictorFreeze

Postby DrVictorFreeze » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:57 pm

typ3 wrote: Are you a DU or CU lean?

I dont even understand the DU lean. Boulder is gorgeous and has the better rep / job placement.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:00 pm

DrVictorFreeze wrote:

I dont even understand the DU lean. Boulder is gorgeous and has the better rep / job placement.

If you end up going to school in CO, I should warn you that for whatever reason the lay prestige of DU >>> the lay prestige of CU. Firms know what's up, but most people not involved in the legal field here think that DU is hot shit.

DrVictorFreeze

Postby DrVictorFreeze » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:04 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
DrVictorFreeze wrote:

If you end up going to school in CO, I should warn you that for whatever reason the lay prestige of DU >>> the lay prestige of CU. Firms know what's up, but most people not involved in the legal field here think that DU is hot shit.

DU has more the small school feel, and CU is definitely big public. But there is no contest here.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:12 pm

DrVictorFreeze wrote:

Debt. A lot of students are debt averse.

I'm assuming the average student who gets into CU would be competitive at DU for top 20%. Top 20% at DU still has good placement that is comparable to CU. Since there are no guarantees in law school, I'm guessing a lot of students will opt for denver with 20-25k a year to minimize being their debt load. From everything I've heard and seen, CU is super stingy on giving money out. 19k over 3 years isn't going to put a dent in loans for out of state students. I can only speculate, but those mythical 5 full rides are elusive as wonka's golden tickets. Most who did land them, according to LSN, didn't even accept them.

So the question becomes, does CU recycle money after it's been given out as fulls or do they give a lot of small 5k or so a year scholarships?

I would love to attend CU, but even I would struggle to choose it over a cheap UMN (I get reciprocity + scholly) or Denver (25k yr).

I'm assuming COL of comparable at both places (DU&CU), so Denver becomes 11k a year on tuition and CU is 36 1st year OOS, 29 after the first year.

Cost of tuition over 3 years.
Denver: 33k + COL Colorado: 94k + COL
Even if you land the 19k at Colorado it is still 40k a year more expensive.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:14 pm

DrVictorFreeze wrote:

DU alumni in the Denver firms have a pretty strong base. But I'm not sure if this is more true with the older alum, not the recently graduated. And going to school right in Denver definitely has it's advantages and connections. And of course the scholly $$.

Bildungsroman wrote:If you end up going to school in CO, I should warn you that for whatever reason the lay prestige of DU >>> the lay prestige of CU. Firms know what's up, but most people not involved in the legal field here think that DU is hot shit.

I've experienced some of that too, people seem to assume DU is the higher ranked law school of the two.

typ3 wrote: DU has more the small school feel, and CU is definitely big public. But there is no contest here.

Yeah, but not with the law schools -- DU is a lot bigger than CU.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:15 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
DrVictorFreeze wrote:

+1

I think it trickles over from undergrad as DU > CU.

From what I've heard, most firms don't discriminate wholly between the two. It still comes down to grades. They would rather pick up at top 5% at DU than a top 25% at CU. Granted the two students are probably equal in ability and the competition at CU is a lot stiffer, but the only time I see CU giving you a bump is when all things are equal between job candidates.

I also wonder if DU would be better for an OOS with few connections since you could do externships at corps in denver during the school year. I'm thinking the trek from boulder would get a little long.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:16 pm

typ3 wrote:
DrVictorFreeze wrote:

Debt. A lot of students are debt averse.

I'm assuming the average student who gets into CU would be competitive at DU for top 20%. Top 20% at DU still has good placement that is comparable to CU. Since there are no guarantees in law school, I'm guessing a lot of students will opt for denver with 20-25k a year to minimize being their debt load. From everything I've heard and seen, CU is super stingy on giving money out. 19k over 3 years isn't going to put a dent in loans for out of state students. I can only speculate, but those mythical 5 full rides are elusive as wonka's golden tickets. Most who did land them, according to LSN, didn't even accept them.

So the question becomes, does CU recycle money after it's been given out as fulls or do they give a lot of small 5k or so a year scholarships?

I would love to attend CU, but even I would struggle to choose it over a cheap UMN (I get reciprocity + scholly) or Denver (25k yr).

I'm assuming COL of comparable at both places (DU&CU), so Denver becomes 11k a year on tuition and CU is 36 1st year OOS, 29 after the first year.

Cost of tuition over 3 years.
Denver: 33k + COL Colorado: 94k + COL
Even if you land the 19k at Colorado it is still 40k a year more expensive.

Buzz kill! Totally agree though.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:16 pm

DrVictorFreeze wrote:

not that much better from what I can tell. And w/ the money DU is giving out, it becomes a tougher decision (one that I don't have to make yet b/c I haven't heard back from CU). Either way, seems like DU is not a bad T2 option at all...

krad

Postby krad » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:17 pm

WOOO FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I emailed and my contact was like wow, crazy timing, I was just mailing out your letter today, but I've also scanned a copy and attached it to this email congrats!

I'm IN finallllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:18 pm

bananeez wrote:
DrVictorFreeze wrote:

DU alumni in the Denver firms have a pretty strong base. But I'm not sure if this is more true with the older alum, not the recently graduated. And going to school right in Denver definitely has it's advantages and connections. And of course the scholly $$.

Bildungsroman wrote:If you end up going to school in CO, I should warn you that for whatever reason the lay prestige of DU >>> the lay prestige of CU. Firms know what's up, but most people not involved in the legal field here think that DU is hot shit.

I've experienced some of that too, people seem to assume DU is the higher ranked law school of the two.

typ3 wrote: DU has more the small school feel, and CU is definitely big public. But there is no contest here.

Yeah, but not with the law schools -- DU is a lot bigger than CU.

I think you misquoted me. lol, I didn't type that.

All law schools spare maybe H/CC feel small. Hell they feel just like high school. I heard pufer is like lindsey lohan from mean girls and krad wheels and deals in the parking lot.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:18 pm

krad wrote:WOOO FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I emailed and my contact was like wow, crazy timing, I was just mailing out your letter today, but I've also scanned a copy and attached it to this email congrats!

I'm IN finallllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Alright!! Congratulations

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:18 pm

typ3 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
DrVictorFreeze wrote:

+1

I think it trickles over from undergrad as DU > CU.

From what I've heard, most firms don't discriminate wholly between the two. It still comes down to grades. They would rather pick up at top 5% at DU than a top 25% at CU. Granted the two students are probably equal in ability and the competition at CU is a lot stiffer, but the only time I see CU giving you a bump is when all things are equal between job candidates.

I also wonder if DU would be better for an OOS with few connections since you could do externships at corps in denver during the school year. I'm thinking the trek from boulder would get a little long.

Actually, I think the DU/CU thing for OOS goes the other way. Higher ranked CU will probably get an OOS an interview easier, whereas an instate student with Denver connections may be better at DU in order to keep those connections current.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”