CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
krad

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby krad » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:34 pm

typ3 wrote:Any native coloradians able to answer this:

is it cheaper to purchase ski / snowboard gear online or through local shops? Also, when is the best time to buy, mid season, summer, fall, spring etc?

Sniagrab ('bargains') at Sports Authority on the Saturday before Labor Day every year. Killer deals. People get crazy, though, and many camp out. Some of the first entrants even receive free ski passes IIRC.

I got a lot of my gear at the annual ski and snow expo that's held at the convention center in the fall; I was able to get a lot of the previous year's gear for some deals, but from what I've seen Sniagrab's got the better deals.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:47 pm

krad wrote:
typ3 wrote:Any native coloradians able to answer this:

is it cheaper to purchase ski / snowboard gear online or through local shops? Also, when is the best time to buy, mid season, summer, fall, spring etc?

Sniagrab ('bargains') at Sports Authority on the Saturday before Labor Day every year. Killer deals. People get crazy, though, and many camp out. Some of the first entrants even receive free ski passes IIRC.

I got a lot of my gear at the annual ski and snow expo that's held at the convention center in the fall; I was able to get a lot of the previous year's gear for some deals, but from what I've seen Sniagrab's got the better deals.

Thanks. You're like the forum's personal travel guide... while you're at it mind finding a 2br/2b condo for me close to campus? ;)

In all seriousness, do law students actually make it to summit to ski or does everyone just hit El Dora on the weekends. I'm wondering what season pass I should buy between the resorts. Do people usually splurge for the epic pass in summit or just the colorado/summit pass? Also, is DU a lot closer to the slopes?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:04 pm

typ3 wrote:
In all seriousness, do law students actually make it to summit to ski or does everyone just hit El Dora on the weekends. I'm wondering what season pass I should buy between the resorts. Do people usually splurge for the epic pass in summit or just the colorado/summit pass? Also, is DU a lot closer to the slopes?

Don't waste your money on Eldora. If you legitimately like to ski/board, you'll find the extra drive to Summit County absolutely worth it. Get the Colorado/Summit pass... The Epic pass isn't worth it. Keystone/Breck is all you need, IMO. Or get a pass to Winter Park/Copper.

I always buy my gear in March when I visit CO... Some of the ski town shops have great deals. Got my current Gnu Carbon High Beam board for $225.

krad

Postby krad » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:09 pm

typ3 wrote: Thanks. You're like the forum's personal travel guide... while you're at it mind finding a 2br/2b condo for me close to campus? ;)

Haha no problemo :)

I don't know about law students. From what people have said, they seem to make it up to the resorts instead of Eldora. The majority of my friends and I get the CO pass. You get 10 days at Vail/BC (with a few holiday dates blacked out) and I think this year they included some time at Heavenly on it as well (of course it's the year that I'm too busy with work to visit my SF friends for a Tahoe trip). Epic gives you unlimited days at the resorts and no blackout days, but for me Vail/BC are sometimes just too far of a drive, especially if traffic and/or weather is nasty (I also commute ~150mi/wk so sometimes I'm lazy); In the last 3 yrs I've never gone over the 10 days.

In terms of distance I'd say they're probably about the same, with the drive from Boulder taking a little longer? I've never made the drive from Boulder, I'm just going off of what others have told me...

Yeahhhhh!

krad

Postby krad » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:13 pm

chrisbru wrote: Don't waste your money on Eldora. If you legitimately like to ski/board, you'll find the extra drive to Summit County absolutely worth it. Get the Colorado/Summit pass... The Epic pass isn't worth it. Keystone/Breck is all you need, IMO. Or get a pass to Winter Park/Copper.

I always buy my gear in March when I visit CO... Some of the ski town shops have great deals. Got my current Gnu Carbon High Beam board for $225.

chrisbru I want you to come to CO :D

e: wait wait, I think I may be mistaken... nvm. It's hard because you can't see the pass prices at this point in the season since they're no longer on sale.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:15 pm

krad wrote:
chrisbru wrote: Don't waste your money on Eldora. If you legitimately like to ski/board, you'll find the extra drive to Summit County absolutely worth it. Get the Colorado/Summit pass... The Epic pass isn't worth it. Keystone/Breck is all you need, IMO. Or get a pass to Winter Park/Copper.

e: wait wait, I think I may be mistaken... nvm. It's hard because you can't see the pass prices at this point in the season since they're no longer on sale.

I want to too! I'll just ask for a cost of living loan increase because I have to "buy a laptop" and come to CO over Thanksgiving break, Christmas break, AND Spring Break :-)

krad

Postby krad » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:16 pm

chrisbru wrote: I want to too! I'll just ask for a cost of living loan increase because I have to "buy a laptop" and come to CO over Thanksgiving break, Christmas break, AND Spring Break :-)

:lol: that made me laugh. Legit!!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:24 pm

krad wrote:

Agreed.

Chris, unless you can leverage Iowa to fund bi monthly ski trips to Colorado, you should drop that scholarship.

I haven't skied keystone for years but from what I remember the snow was always iffy b/c of the lower altitude mid/late season. I normally stay on piste and prefer long groomed icy and firm blacks like Riva Ridge at vail / Birds of Prey at bc and groomed double blacks like Blue Ox (although they hardly groom it anymore).. I don't know what resort that would pair of best with.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:52 am

SherlockHolmes wrote:Just heard back about my travel stipend request. She said that they don't have the funds at this time, but if they become available she will be sure to let me know.

they were much nicer to you than me. they just said we cannot give you a stipend period. and if you can't make it to asd, we'll hook you up with a faculty member for information. i'm trying not to read too much into this (if i can't get a stipend, does that mean i can't get a scholly, either?!?!) :shock:

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:15 am

oldhippie wrote:
SherlockHolmes wrote:Just heard back about my travel stipend request. She said that they don't have the funds at this time, but if they become available she will be sure to let me know.

they were much nicer to you than me. they just said we cannot give you a stipend period. and if you can't make it to asd, we'll hook you up with a faculty member for information. i'm trying not to read too much into this (if i can't get a stipend, does that mean i can't get a scholly, either?!?!) :shock:

They told me the same thing, that they cannot grant me a travel stipend at this time.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:21 am

typ3 wrote:Agreed.

Chris, unless you can leverage Iowa to fund bi monthly ski trips to Colorado, you should drop that scholarship.

I haven't skied keystone for years but from what I remember the snow was always iffy b/c of the lower altitude mid/late season. I normally stay on piste and prefer long groomed icy and firm blacks like Riva Ridge at vail / Birds of Prey at bc and groomed double blacks like Blue Ox (although they hardly groom it anymore).. I don't know what resort that would pair of best with.

Keystone's back mountain can get some nice powder (esp in the trees) when the snow is good, but there's only one lift back there so it can get crowded. Still, it's really fun for a closer mountain, I like the trees/terrain. Vail is still my fav, hands down; Blue Skyyyy! (<- which is why I always recommend the CO pass, for the 10 Vail/BC days :mrgreen:)

Sad that they aren't giving out many stipends :( sorry guys!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:38 am

krad wrote:
typ3 wrote:Agreed.

Keystone's back mountain can get some nice powder (esp in the trees) when the snow is good, but there's only one lift back there so it can get crowded. Still, it's really fun for a closer mountain, I like the trees/terrain. Vail is still my fav, hands down; Blue Skyyyy! (<- which is why I always recommend the CO pass, for the 10 Vail/BC days :mrgreen:)

Sad that they aren't giving out many stipends :( sorry guys!

Are a lot of the people requesting in state / surrounding state?

I could see CU being stingy on stippends to instate people if they are throwing them to people on the coasts etc. Still nothing in my inbox.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:44 am

typ3 wrote:I could see CU being stingy on stippends to instate people if they are throwing them to people on the coasts etc. Still nothing in my inbox.

CA here. The flight is cheap though. I could see them giving stipends to people on the east coast more.

franklin14

Postby franklin14 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:11 am

typ3 wrote:I haven't skied keystone for years but from what I remember the snow was always iffy b/c of the lower altitude mid/late season. I normally stay on piste and prefer long groomed icy and firm blacks like Riva Ridge at vail / Birds of Prey at bc and groomed double blacks like Blue Ox (although they hardly groom it anymore).. I don't know what resort that would pair of best with.

They are all going to have decent skiing in this area compared to most of the country. Shoot, Eldora was where they shot the cover for this issue of Ski Mag with groomer shredding. I am a little nervious about the need for the full epic during 1L. Don't know if the ten days at Vail/BC will actually be worth it and I know Heavenly will not be used. However, BC has free smores and cookies... which really start to add up when you're having a Sesame Street kind of time.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:18 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:
typ3 wrote:I could see CU being stingy on stippends to instate people if they are throwing them to people on the coasts etc. Still nothing in my inbox.

CA here. The flight is cheap though. I could see them giving stipends to people on the east coast more.

i'm in SC, so that kinda blows that theory...

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:22 am

NC here, so... yeah. I got about the same response as oldhippie did. I don't think there was any mention of getting one if funds became available.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:42 pm

Yes!!

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/feature ... 1#fbIndex2

I forgot to put down the "Great American Beer Festival" under my pros for CU.

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:44 pm

bananeez wrote:Yes!!

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/feature ... 1#fbIndex2

I forgot to put down the "Great American Beer Festival" under my pros for CU.

Definitely a pro.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:51 pm

GABF is sooooo freaking fun and ridiculous! Pretzel necklaces FTW!

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:54 pm

krad wrote:GABF is sooooo freaking fun and ridiculous! Pretzel necklaces FTW!

because i need MORE reasons why CU is where i want to be.......i have yet to find a flaw :D

krad

Postby krad » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:05 pm

oldhippie wrote:

because i need MORE reasons why CU is where i want to be.......i have yet to find a flaw :D

This past year I won a free PBR trucker hat for beig able to wiggle my ears. It's that ridiculous.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:07 pm

krad wrote:
oldhippie wrote:

This past year I won a free PBR trucker hat for beig able to wiggle my ears. It's that ridiculous.

allright! i can wiggle my ears and touch my nose with my tongue. that's gotta be worth something!!!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:26 pm

oldhippie wrote:

Flaw: They waitlisted Chrisbru.

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:27 pm

I'm not even exactly sure how a pretzel necklace would work, but SIGN ME UP!!
CU, please make my decision easy and gimme a scholarship? kthannnnnnnks.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:28 pm

chrisbru wrote:
oldhippie wrote:

Flaw: They waitlisted Chrisbru.

And are super slow to get back to typ3 and krad.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”