CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bananeez

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby bananeez » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:55 pm

ptblazer wrote:I received an email from CU responding to a couple questions I had last week regarding fafsa and finaid in general. Anyway they said that the first round of scholarships have already been offered and that they are offered on a rolling basis with some getting them with their offer of admission and other receiving them as the 2014 class begins to take form.

Already been offered? Interesting. I figured we'd see some sign of it here or on LSN.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:57 pm

bananeez wrote:
ptblazer wrote:I received an email from CU responding to a couple questions I had last week regarding fafsa and finaid in general. Anyway they said that the first round of scholarships have already been offered and that they are offered on a rolling basis with some getting them with their offer of admission and other receiving them as the 2014 class begins to take form.

Already been offered? Interesting. I figured we'd see some sign of it here or on LSN.

Yeah thats what it says, but it could just mean that they are in the mail.

krad

Postby krad » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:59 pm

CONGRATS admits!

Haha thanks typ3, OH, brose, etc, sadly still nothing. <boohiss>

I might call them in a bit here and lol @ typ3's comment on breaking hearts :mrgreen:

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:00 pm

This makes me worried....not a single person on LSN has reported money from CU.

krad

Postby krad » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:02 pm

Woah just saw this. WTF?

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:02 pm

krad wrote:CONGRATS admits!

Haha thanks typ3, OH, brose, etc, sadly still nothing. <boohiss>

I might call them in a bit here and lol @ typ3's comment on breaking hearts :mrgreen:

*boohiss!*

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:06 pm

Because there is some concern and interest, this is verbatim from the email.

The first round of scholarships has been offered. It is done on a truly rolling basis with some applicants receiving an award offer with their offer of admission and others receiving award offers as the incoming class begins to take shape.

krad

Postby krad » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:07 pm

Maybe they'll send me everything at once... A girl can dream.

In other news it's another GORGEOUS day here in Colorado! It's been a great week for weather.

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:08 pm

ptblazer wrote:Because there is some concern and interest, this is verbatim from the email.

The first round of scholarships has been offered. It is done on a truly rolling basis with some applicants receiving an award offer with their offer of admission and others receiving award offers as the incoming class begins to take shape.

This does not bode well for me :(

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:09 pm

I'm sure they are in the mail and headed to our cozy little mailboxes right now.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:09 pm

SherlockHolmes wrote:
ptblazer wrote:Because there is some concern and interest, this is verbatim from the email.

Nor does it bode well for me :(

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:13 pm

ptblazer wrote:
SherlockHolmes wrote:

Nor does it bode well for me :(

Am I missing something? Why do y'all think this doesn't bode well for y'all?

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:13 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:I'm sure they are in the mail and headed to our cozy little mailboxes right now.

It's highly doubtful that none of the early admits are reporting their money offers (meaning they didn't get to people yet)... RIght? Right???

LawSchoolPorFavor

Postby LawSchoolPorFavor » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:15 pm

come on guys, usually this is such an optimistic thread! I bet they've just sent out the scholly info snail mail

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:15 pm

bananeez wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:I'm sure they are in the mail and headed to our cozy little mailboxes right now.

It's highly doubtful that none of the early admits are reporting their money offers (meaning they didn't get to people yet)... RIght? Right???

Right!! haha

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:17 pm

bananeez wrote:

Exactly, they probably just put them in the mail this week or even today. Offered does not mean they have been received/delivered yet.

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:17 pm

The e-mail does seem contradictory to the acceptance letters that were sent out, which explicitly stated that scholly offers wouldn't start coming out till late Jan/early Feb. It would be difficult for the process to be "truly rolling," since a number of people were accepted prior to late January...I wish this process (at all schools) was more transparent :(

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:17 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
bananeez wrote:

Exactly, they probably just put them in the mail this week or even today. Offered does not mean they have been received/delivered yet.

yeah. that's the ticket!! :D

brose

Postby brose » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:56 pm

typ3 wrote:
brose wrote:I got an email saying I was admitted and to attend the open house. I got WL a on 2/4, so idk.... lol. I didn't send in the thing saying to keep me on the WL so I guess they did? Cool! Quick turnaround...

Were you a wait list or was your file held?

Those are two different things. If you were a wait list, then it would be extremely odd to be off of it since they haven't even closed their admissions to this year's applicants. However, if your file was held for 12 days then it means the law school was reviewing how many people they have admitted or not admitted this cycle and needed to wait so they could plug in numbers to calculate their expected medians for this year.

At this point in the cycle a lot of places are looking to boost their medians so they hold a lot of applicants until they figure those numbers out.

Yes, I know there is a difference. I was waitlisted. I got a letter in the mail saying I was waitlisted and if I wanted to ride/not ride the waitlist, to indicate my preference on this little card they sent with the letter. I never sent it back because I was planning on withdrawing. The email I got today said that my acceptance letter was sent on Friday, the 11th, a week after my placement on the waitlist.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:01 pm

ptblazer wrote:
brose wrote:I got an email saying I was admitted and to attend the open house. I got WL a few weeks ago, so idk.... lol. I didn't send in the thing saying to keep me on the WL so I guess they did? Cool!

Wow, good news. Congratulations!

WTH, I sent in that postcard, where's my acceptance off the waitlist?! Lol

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:13 pm

Does anyone know if CU is willing to match or negotiate scholarship amounts? *I havnt received one yet.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:15 pm

chrisbru wrote:
ptblazer wrote:
brose wrote:I got an email saying I was admitted and to attend the open house. I got WL a few weeks ago, so idk.... lol. I didn't send in the thing saying to keep me on the WL so I guess they did? Cool!

So weird! Maybe you should personally talk to the admissions office if you're still interested in CU.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:21 pm

bananeez wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
ptblazer wrote:

So weird! Maybe you should personally talk to the admissions office if you're still interested in CU.

Meh. I was going to. I will if the gf gets into CSU and nowhere else... But at this point, I'm jaded, and will just walk away with my < $40k in cost of living debt to go to Iowa.

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:52 pm

Just heard back about my travel stipend request. She said that they don't have the funds at this time, but if they become available she will be sure to let me know.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:30 pm

Any native coloradians able to answer this:

is it cheaper to purchase ski / snowboard gear online or through local shops? Also, when is the best time to buy, mid season, summer, fall, spring etc?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”